Author Topic: Nice, older DSO advice  (Read 18408 times)

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Nice, older DSO advice
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2019, 04:15:27 pm »
Get a used Agilent 7000 series. unlock it... for 5K you will have a top end machine with a humonguous screen , deep memory and 4 samplers ( as opposed to many other older dso's that interleave their samplers to save costs .. )
bonus: if you get an MSO type device you can do mixed signal as well.

If you 'unlock' it, you've got MSO...  :-*.
All 6000 and 7000 have the MSO hardware, whatever the model, only the 5000 not.

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2019, 04:41:08 pm »
Hello,

free_electron wrote "Get a used Agilent 7000 series".

This can not be MSO/DSO705xB, 710xB: 4 GSa/sec half channel*, 2 GSa/sec each channel
Memory depth 2 channels/4 channels
Standard 8 Mpts/4 Mpts

What scope do you mean?

Best regards
egonotto

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2019, 05:02:09 pm »
Get a used Agilent 7000 series. unlock it... for 5K you will have a top end machine with a humonguous screen , deep memory and 4 samplers ( as opposed to many other older dso's that interleave their samplers to save costs .. )
bonus: if you get an MSO type device you can do mixed signal as well.
I used to own an Agilent DSO/MSO7000 series. It is quite noisy (even with bandwidth limit on) and rather cumbersome to operate if you want to setup things like decoding.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2019, 06:11:05 pm »
free_electron wrote "Get a used Agilent 7000 series".

This can not be MSO/DSO705xB, 710xB: 4 GSa/sec half channel*, 2 GSa/sec each channel
Memory depth 2 channels/4 channels
Standard 8 Mpts/4 Mpts

yup. those. they have 4 a/d converters running at 2Gs/s . in 2 channel mode they interleave two converters to get double rate. I personally use a 7104 as my daily workhorse. It is very responsive , has a large screen ,works with most of the infiniium active probes , has protocol decoders , sufficient memory and fast update rate. It does not need to boot from a harddisk or run some operating system that gets in the way and slows down the machine (like lecroy and RS)
( it does , it runs vxworks , but boots from flash in a few seconds and you don't know there is an OS running. It follows good ol Agilent philosophy : do things in hardware)

This is different from having only 2 converters and interleaving channels. Those kind of machines (can) lie to you ( like the TDS5xx series from tek ) as they sample one channel , then on the next trigger sample the other. so what you see on the screen is taken from two different time origins ! this only works on repetitive signals. and you can forget about catching glitches...

in old analog scopes you could run in alt or chop mode but many of the early generation digital scopes ran in alt mode only. And that is VERY dangerous as the time correlation is lost.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2019, 08:48:36 pm »
where do you get it at $5K. i checked in ebay MSO7104B 1GHz 4GSps currently cheapest is $8K, normally $12K

is this what you mean?

well it should be nicer if they interleaved it to 16GSps @ 1CH.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2019, 09:15:33 pm »
where do you get it at $5K. i checked in ebay MSO7104B 1GHz 4GSps currently cheapest is $8K, normally $12K

is this what you mean?

well it should be nicer if they interleaved it to 16GSps @ 1CH.
Yeah, make it 16Gs @ 1ch with 2 Terasample of memory per channel and all for the low price of 99.99$ , but wait , if you order now we will double the memory, just pay shipping and handling ...

You should be able to find a 350Mhz version of that machine for around 5k. ( A version,not B version )
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2019, 09:27:36 pm »
thats funny... make it $49.99 or... 500GHz ($17/GHz)  :scared:
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2019, 09:42:08 pm »
If you need the bandwidth... 204MXi for $4.5k.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153435599160

I found some DSO7034/7054 for more than $6k and above, thus it may be a matter of patience.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2019, 10:25:02 pm »
That is insane. These should go for between the $3k and $4k mark. None have sold during the past 3 months so it is another case of delirious Ebay sellers. And besides that I'm not sure it is the best buy as a general purpose oscilloscope.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2019, 11:11:59 pm »
If you need the bandwidth... 204MXi for $4.5k.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153435599160

I found some DSO7034/7054 for more than $6k and above, thus it may be a matter of patience.

Notice the missing knobs.  Just like mine, they fell off.   To be fair LeCroy did send me a new set free of charge and they are much tighter.   These cases are not at all what I would expect from LeCroy. 

Offline darkstar49

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2019, 04:26:22 am »
That is insane. These should go for between the $3k and $4k mark. None have sold during the past 3 months so it is another case of delirious Ebay sellers. And besides that I'm not sure it is the best buy as a general purpose oscilloscope.

Couldn't agree more... the 6000 & 7000 were nice scopes, but they don't keep up with the 3000X, which typically sells for less...
Most of the 7000 models are ridiculously priced, and have been on Ebay for years (not months... years !!!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf