Author Topic: Packaging of Rigol scope in factory - plastic bag/screen protection / fan-noise  (Read 12815 times)

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hello,

I wanted to check here with quick survey how new scopes from Rigol are packaged in the factory, to double check that new unit, is really new.
At the same time I want to take the opportunity to collect data about the fan noise. Maybe you can also indicate your date of purchase, to link fan noise with production date.

DS1052E: Does the scope come in a plastic bag? Is the screen protected with a "first-time remove" screen protection sticker? Does the fan make a lot of noise? Production date?

DS2072A: Does the scope come in a plastic bag? Is the screen protected with a "first-time remove" screen protection sticker? Does the fan make a lot of noise? Production date?

DS1074Z: Does the scope come in a plastic bag? Is the screen protected with a "first-time remove" screen protection sticker? Does the fan make a lot of noise? Production date?

MSO2072A: Does the scope come in a plastic bag? Is the screen protected with a "first-time remove" screen protection sticker? Does the fan make a lot of noise? Production date?

MSO1074Z: Does the scope come in a plastic bag? Is the screen protected with a "first-time remove" screen protection sticker? Does the fan make a lot of noise? Production date?

Can you give feedback on your specific unit?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 02:00:59 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline mscreations

• Contributor
For the MSO2072A, it was wrapped in plastic between two styrofoam blocks. There wasn't any screen protector.  The fan noise is mild but not annoying to me. My computer is louder. The production date was in June or July. I can't remember off the top of my head. I ordered it on 8-6-2014 from TEquipment.

Offline WesleyK

• Contributor
Same here for the MSO2072, wrapped in plastic between styrofoam blocks. That was all. It was packed well enough for me though.

Fan noise is.. Noticeable, but for me, not annoying enough to replace the whole fan. Already did some research for a new fan, but it seems that reputable brands like EBM Papst and Sunon do not have fans that fit and have the same airflow or higher while producing less noise.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:06:33 pm by WesleyK »

Offline bistopepmol

Hi there,

DS2072A came in plastic bag but was pre opened and no plastic screen protector, warranty sticker looks a bit suspect but then it was over £ 100 cheaper and direct from Hong kong and on ebay sold as new,  no issues and does what it should, although i dont think the warranty sticker will hold up to being removed without breaking..

date purchased 18th sept 2014

HW ver 1.0.2.0.2   FW ver 00.03.00.01.03
What ever you do, don't let the magic smoke out !!

• Super Contributor
Siglent protects its scopes with a transparent screen protector sticker, and they manage to deliver their scopes with fans that produce almost no noise :)

Why can't Rigol adopt the same? How difficult can it be to leave the screen protector sticker on the LCD screen?

How difficult is it to source fans that are less noisy? Are none of the Rigol engineers using their own scopes for hobby projects at home? Or are all the Rigol engineers hard hearing?

Some distributors (without naming names 'hypen uk dot co..") provide the so called "quality inspection" service, where they open the box, test the unit, and provide a CD with the latest firmware and UK mains lead for the Rigol scope.

Honestly I don't see any value in it, apart from confusing the customer questioning if he really got a new unit or not.

1) Firmware updates everybody can do themselves
2) Spare UK mains lead has every self-respecting engineer lying around in his home
3) With the extra safety inspection the distributor questions the QA processes from his own supplier (what about trustworthy relationship between distributor and supplier?)

Just leave the carton box closed! Your extra service provides no value whatsoever.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:38:55 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
The DS1074Z had no screen protection sticker, there was no damage on the screen so it appears to be fine how it is packaged. I am sure if they had a lot of returns they would add the shipping protection.

The fan is louder then some basic scopes that I have used however it is not a problem in a lab where I often have music (or theamphour) playing in the background. Also I have not measured the sound levels but some of the "expensive" scopes at work seem louder then the Rigol one I have at home.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
2) Spare UK mains lead has every self-respecting engineer lying around in his home

They have to do that.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
No one is going to make your first perfect scope.

We all were scope virgins at one time and we just decided to go for it eventually, waiting for the perfect one is not going to happen so take the dive once and for all.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Some distributors (without naming names 'hypen uk dot co..") provide the so called "quality inspection" service, where they open the box, test the unit, and provide a CD with the latest firmware and UK mains lead for the Rigol scope.

Honestly I don't see any value in it, apart from confusing the customer questioning if he really got a new unit or not.

1) Firmware updates everybody can do themselves
3) With the extra safety inspection the distributor questions the QA processes from his own supplier (what about trustworthy relationship between distributor and supplier?)

Just leave the carton box closed! Your extra service provides no value whatsoever.
:bullshit:
Well your are not the distributor who's reputation might be at risk from a faulty product, damaged product, missing acessories, wrong mains lead and complementary setting of DSO to the correct language. I now even check the probes as a result of comments by member rf-loop.
I have also had stock on hand when firmware updates have been released and bought the firmware up to date when I did the boot up check. The power boot times counter is never more than 2 when new product is shipped from me.
I NEVER remove the LCD screen protector film on a new unit.
Lets say I wish to include a Business card, a Product guide and/or any other small items the buyer also may have bought/requested.
So thats what you might expect from a distributor/dealer that WILL stand by their products.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Siglent protects its scopes with a transparent screen protector sticker, and they manage to deliver their scopes with fans that produce almost no noise :)

More fun is that Siglent oscilloscopes and signal generators (all what I have seen) have real glass front of TFT.  I do not know why this glass have "screen protector" sticker - perhaps for fingerprints..
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
AFAIK UK law is that all electrical goods sold in the UK shall be supplied with a UK standard plugtop attached to the mains cable, or with an adaptor that is non removable already installed on the power cord. Thus your cellphone chargers actually do not comply with the law.

Same in South Africa, except the SABS recently harmonised and now you can get a SABS approved outlet that conforms to the Swiss standard but which allows a cellphone charger to plug in with no problem. They are very nice, as I could put all the DECT repeaters power supply units neatly into a socket outlet pair, and not have a mess of cabling and adaptors hanging off the wall. Though they are rated for 16A I personally would not trust them at over 5A, I have had way too many socket outlets fail with 12-15A loads. That means I now hard wire all airconditioners with a dedicated cable, a switched isolator next to the unit and a separate breaker in the distribution board. Now only the odd isolator fails after a few years because it is rarely used, or the copper cable creeps and comes loose.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Don't forget they all have trial features (2000 minutes) which are all counting down with every second it's switched on...

• Super Contributor
The UK mains plug is actually a joke. It's so big, and weighs a ton.
Compare the UK mains plug with a Micro USB adapter, and then you can see where innovation has taken place :)

It was designed for safety, but would say it's the opposite. The plug is so big, that you can only plug it in half in the socket, while touching one of the leads with your finger. Very safe! Yes...  well done design :)

Quite ironic. Usually in the US they like everything big, take SUVs, giant T-bone steaks. But when it comes up to power plugs, they are one of the smallest. Put the US plug next to the UK plug, and we are talking worlds of differences =)

Offline bigsky

• Regular Contributor
Compare the UK mains plug with a Micro USB adapter, and then you can see where innovation has taken place :)
Try putting 13 amps through a micro usb plug - but have a fire extinguished ready!
It was designed for safety, but would say it's the opposite. The plug is so big, that you can only plug it in half in the socket, while touching one of the leads with your finger. Very safe! Yes...  well done design :)
I am not sure what you are on about.

The UK plug has shrouded live and neutral pins that make accidental contact difficult or impossible. Minimum sizes for sockets and adaptors are specified in the standard so that a plug cannot be inserted upside down, etc.

Quite ironic. Usually in the US they like everything big, take SUVs, giant T-bone steaks. But when it comes up to power plugs, they are one of the smallest. Put the US plug next to the UK plug, and we are talking worlds of differences =)
American three pin plugs are not that much smaller than UK ones - and we have to include a fuse as well. And American sockets are not shuttered.

The UK 13A plug is not perfect, but it is certainly no worse than any other style, and arguably much safer. What other countries use fused plugs to protect appliances and cables against overloads?

Offline m100

• Regular Contributor

Since 1984 they have had shrouded live and neutral pins, and the UK has amongst the lowest rate of electrocution in the world.  That points to the UK plug socket combination being significantly better than others.  OK they are a pain when you step on them in bare feet, and bulky* for travel, but the whole plug design with a fuse, shuttered sockets actuated by the earth pin and the concept of a ring main to save copper is IMHO wonderful engineering considering it as been around for nearly seventy years, BS1362 being first issued in 1947.

*BS1362 compliant plugs with folding pins are available, making them more compact than all the alternatives except bare wire and a couple of matchsticks.

I despair when I see what plugs Europe, Australia and the USA use!

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor

This has got to be the dummest comparison ever. A small DC connector designed to carry about 5W vs an AC connector designed to carry up to 3KVA. If you can't understand the differences between these, its no wonder you can't pick a scope!

Go look how a UK plus works some time. The longer earth pin is used to open a shroud covering the live and neutral pins in the socket so you can't poke things into a live socket. The live & neutral pins don't connect until the plug is shoved in so far that you'd really have to be trying to touch a live connection with the plug only part way in.

My experience of non uk plugs is generally shitty connections with connectors that practically unplug themselves just due to the weight of the plug & cable. Explain to me how that can be safer ?

• Super Contributor
I was only comparing the size. Of course the cables are designed for completely different purposes, but my point was that the original USB plug was also very big, and that they have improved over time. There are good examples of main plugs which are safe and have a much smaller form factor. In fact the European one is the best, and adopted by all European countries.

But who cares? In the UK they always want to do things different.

Their own clumsy mains plug, driving at the other side of the road, pounds, inches, Vauxhal instead of Opel. What is wrong with the name Opel BTW? =)

No wonder that Scotland wanted to get loose of you guys :)

Offline m100

• Regular Contributor
Not plain shuttered sockets but some manufacturers (MK) have main sockets that are almost impossible to defeat, they need the earth pin partly inserted and simultaneous entry of the live and neutral pins.   

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Remember the UK invented most of those measurements..... It took the French to make their own and make it base 10 just to be different, and typically French.  Vauxhall was a British manufacturer along with Adam Opel, so they marketed vehicles from Opel AG in the UK as Vauxhall was the distributor originally.

As to the plugs they are big yes, but for anybody over 50 you can insert them into a wall outlet with poor eyesight and arthritis without pain and much fumbling. Micro USB is a pain as it tends to destroy the sockets and tear them off the boards so easily. Try to plug a micro USB plug in using welding gloves, to emulate the experience of any person with arthritis or those who are disabled. Then complain about it, you at least have the luck to be able to remove the gloves.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
I was only comparing the size. Of course the cables are designed for completely different purposes, but my point was that the original USB plug was also very big, and that they have improved over time. There are good examples of main plugs which are safe and have a much smaller form factor. In fact the European one is the best, and adopted by all European countries.

In what way is a grounded euro plug any smaller than a UK plug?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
In what way is a grounded euro plug any smaller than a UK plug?

They're LOADS smaller. Maybe half the size.

• Super Contributor
For those who are not convinced about the size, look at the attached picture =)

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
More fun is that Siglent oscilloscopes and signal generators (all what I have seen) have real glass front of TFT.  I do not know why this glass have "screen protector" sticker - perhaps for fingerprints..

This is also true of the Rigol scopes... at least on the DS1052E. How do I know? It invovled a soldering iron. The screen survived with no marks. If it were plastic, it would have melted. That was an accident, but it's nice that Rigol have built that into the unit.

For those who are not convinced about the size, look at the attached picture =)

Ah, but the UK plug is so safely designed. It's the *best* plug in the world in my opinion...

Offline Creep

• Regular Contributor
I pretty much never say this about anybody, but to me it seams like pascal_sweden is here just to tamper with people's nervers. I've never seen anybody so dissatisfied about everything, more often than not without any reason whatsoever. And it seems I'm not the only one with this observation.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Ah, but the UK plug is so safely designed. It's the *best* plug in the world in my opinion...

I agree ... plus they mandated that every socket has to have an on/off switch. Genius!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf