Author Topic: Siglent 1102CML FFT Peaks  (Read 2778 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ronschTopic starter

  • Newbie
  • Posts: 8
Siglent 1102CML FFT Peaks
« on: May 07, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »
I recently purchased a Siglent SDS 1102CML (100Mz) scope and was using it to look at some noise on a power supply.  I noticed two stable peaks in the FFT at 50Mz and 100Mz which remained even when I removed the probes..  I am relatively new to scopes and am wondering if it is typical to have FFT peaks on harmonics of the scope frequency.  I have attached a screenshot.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Ron
 

Offline tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31975
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent 1102CML FFT Peaks
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:54:54 pm »
I recently purchased a Siglent SDS 1102CML (100Mz) scope and was using it to look at some noise on a power supply.  I noticed two stable peaks in the FFT at 50Mz and 100Mz which remained even when I removed the probes..  I am relatively new to scopes and am wondering if it is typical to have FFT peaks on harmonics of the scope frequency.  I have attached a screenshot.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Ron
Welcome to the forum.

It is normal to see all sorts of garbage if the probes are not terminated to a DUT.
Internally the SDS1000 series have 3 clocks, 25, 30 and 100MHz. (check the Service manual)
Even the lowest BW model in the SDS1**2C*L has the same clocks.

BTW to check PSU noise/ripple one would normally use AC input coupling and mV/div amplitude setting, then adjust timebase and triggering to analyse the displayed waveform.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->