Author Topic: Tektronix TDS3034 update  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Javier1028Topic starter

Tektronix TDS3034 update
« on: November 06, 2022, 09:16:48 pm »
Hello,

I've bought a second hand TDS3034B. It works fine, but I have some doubts:

1.- When I save oscilloscope captures (.tiff) with the background in white, CH1 is represented in yellow. But in other TDS3034B that I have used, CH1 is represented in dark blue, which is much better to me. What can I do to have CH1 represented in dark blue? Is it necessary to update operating system? If I update the operating system, is there any risk of failing and leaving the oscilloscope inoperative? Do I have to take any special caution when updating the O.S.? Something that I should know (e.g. if I shouldn't be worried if that takes a lot of time - it doesn't mean that something has failed)?

2.- When I turn-on my TDS3034B, the date/hour is reset, and the last settings are not saved. I think that the internal NVRAM chip should be replaced. But I've heard that this chip is obsolete and there is no replacement. Have you tried this or any other solution? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=tektronix+ds1742 I'm not totally sure about this, and I wouldn't like to ruin an operating oscilloscope.

3.- The four channels have appreciable offset, up to one half vertical division in some ranges. Is there any way to correct it without sending it to the (very expensive, I guess) technical service? The offset correction in the vertical menu works nice, but I have to change the correction each time I change the vertical scale. I remember that this scope has a (terribly slow) self calibration function. Woudl it serve to remove these offsets? I haven't seen any pot in the PCB to correct the offset or any other thing.

Thank you very much and best regards,
Javier

Offline RomDump

• Regular Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS3034 update
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 01:53:34 am »
1.- When I save oscilloscope captures (.tiff) with the background in white, CH1 is represented in yellow. But in other TDS3034B that I have used, CH1 is represented in dark blue, which is much better to me. What can I do to have CH1 represented in dark blue?

It's called the "Ink Saver" feature. It's easier to download the Tekscope Utility from the Tektronix forum and use the screen capture option.

3.- The four channels have appreciable offset, up to one half vertical division in some ranges. Is there any way to correct it without sending it to the (very expensive, I guess) technical service? The offset correction in the vertical menu works nice, but I have to change the correction each time I change the vertical scale. I remember that this scope has a (terribly slow) self calibration function. Would it serve to remove these offsets? I haven't seen any pot in the PCB to correct the offset or any other thing.

There is nothing wrong with your scope. You have to leave your Oscilloscope on for about an hour then run SPC Compensation. This will remove any offsets.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 01:57:21 am by RomDump »
--
RomDump

Offline OYAZI

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 07:52:49 am »
2.- When I turn-on my TDS3034B, the date/hour is reset, and the last settings are not saved. I think that the internal NVRAM chip should be replaced. But I've heard that this chip is obsolete and there is no replacement. Have you tried this or any other solution? https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=tektronix+ds1742 I'm not totally sure about this, and I wouldn't like to ruin an operating oscilloscope.

I used it and OK.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293776182478

Offline RomDump

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 09:29:53 pm »
1.- When I save oscilloscope captures (.tiff) with the background in white, CH1 is represented in yellow. But in other TDS3034B that I have used, CH1 is represented in dark blue, which is much better to me.

This is a video how to turn on Ink Saver on the Oscilloscope itself.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 09:32:44 pm by RomDump »
--
RomDump

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 11:02:31 pm »
Thank you all!

The self calibration worked great.

I was already using the Ink Saver, but the CH1 trace is still yellow, I don't know why. My firmware is v2.21. Do you recommend to update the firmware? Is there any risk of leaving the oscilloscope unusable if I make a mistake?

I will try with the NVRAM you recommended. Additionally, have you ever tried a USB adaption like this?

Have you ever tried any BW hack?

Maybe too many questions... Thanks in advance!

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 11:24:50 pm »
i think they have a final firmware 3.41   but before that version you had another version where you could add  some hacks  / functions  etc ..

search here for  tds-1000-2000-3000-bw-hack   and other threads

i had to create the floppies  for the upgrade,  and  it was a nightmare to find blank floppies   lolll

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 11:29:38 am »
Thank you for all your answers,

I updated the firmware to 3.41 and now the trace is dark blue as expected.

Now I will change the SRAM...

Offline YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 09:24:57 pm »
before you remove the ram, check to see if you have a valid MAC address and write it down. You will need to write it back on the ram, or the newtork will not work.
There's plenty of info detailing how to do this, search the forum. 3.41 doesn't allow you to upgrade bandwith, you need 3.39 at most.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 10:31:12 pm »
Thank you, YetAnotherTechie,

How can I check the mac address? I checked in the forum, but it's not very clear to me. I don't have ethernet card, but I guess it could be installed in the future.

About the bandwidth upgrade, I have seeing some videos, and it seems that all that I have to do is to install a hacked firmware, am I right?

Best regards,
Javier

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 01:25:38 am »
indeed  you need to hack the scope before upgrading to v3.41  if i recall

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf