Author Topic: Power Designs 6050A info needed  (Read 6010 times)

Offline BillWojoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Power Designs 6050A info needed
« on: July 05, 2014, 03:19:49 am »
Well since discovering this site looking for recommendations for a good cheap scope I decided to take a look at what I had in storage. I remember picking up an old power supply from work when they went under and took a look for it. Turns out it's a PD 6050A. Powered it up and it seems to work.
I think it needs to be calibrated though. Hooked up to my Fluke 189 it follows the 0 to 6VDC scale very well. On the 0 to 60VDC scale it tops out at 56VDC, even reflected on the 6050A meter. Probably nothing to worry about though. I figure it may come in handy for testing components on the bench.
Does anyone have a copy of the manual for this thing?
Looking on ebay it's actually worth a few bucks, kinda surprised as I figured it was obsolete.
Also dug up an old Fluke meter, a 8810A. Tomorrow I'll dig around and get some test leads for it to try it out. I'll start another thread on that.
Thanks
BillWojo

Offline elliott

• Regular Contributor
Re: Power Designs 6050A info needed
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 04:34:53 am »
I have a Power Designs 630 that I believe is around the same era, it had a very similar problem. It topped out around 5.2V instead of 6V. I believe it was just normal drift from age, I tweaked a couple pots and it is fine.

There was no service manual available for mine and the pots weren't labeled. What I did was take a resistor that was about 1/4 the value of the pot and put it in parallel with it. When the voltage changed I knew I'd found the right one.

You might also want to check the current limit, mine needed a tweak there too.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 04:36:30 am by elliott »

Offline radhaz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 04:59:46 am »
Good power supplies never go out of style. I have a TP340 triple output, needs some help with the A channel as it won't go below 18vdc.
Here's some PD manuals:
http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/index.php?dir=09%29_Misc_Test_Equipment/Power_Designs
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:09:11 am by radhaz »

Offline BillWojoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 05:22:34 am »
Thanks radhaz but they don't have the manual for the 6050A. Hopefully someone will post a link.
Interestingly enough, the supply is getting more stable and getting closer to the rated 60VDC. The 0 to 6VDC was right on the money and very stable but the 0 to 60 VDC was topping out at 56VDC. I left it on for the past couple of hours set at 10VDC and the supply became way more stable. Now when I turn it up it gets to 59.5VDC and it doesn't jump around. I guess the caps are reforming. This thing has been sitting for almost 15 years. When I get a chance I'll pop the cover off and check for any leakage.
Thanks
BillWojo

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 11:38:51 am »
I bought a 6050A a couple of months ago and also purchased a copy of the manual. I will get the name of the site for you. It included full schematics as well.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 02:49:19 pm »
6050A manual attached

Offline fpliuzzi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 04:44:02 pm »
I also had a difficult time tracking down a manual for the Power Designs 6050A that I bought last year. I purchased one from Manuals Plus, but was disappointed when I saw that it was just a photocopy and not an original manual.

To augment the pdf file posted by robrenz, I have scanned the schematic (at 300dpi) from my PD6050A manual. Since the schematic is a fold-out, I scanned it in two passes and stitched it back together in Photoshop. While I was at it I spent some time and cleaned it up (it actually looks a lot better than the one in my manual).

I also included a scan of a second large fold-out that you may find useful (it's included here as two separate pages).

Regards

EDIT: The schematic should look ok now. The first one that I posted got corrupted somehow.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:27:23 am by fpliuzzi »

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:34:18 pm »
Found it!   http://www.manualsplus.com/catalog/product_info.php?sku=20699, 25$ looks like a photocopied version of the manual, but it is really really well done. Includes full fold-out schematics + theory of operation. Well worth the money I think.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf