Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489500 times)

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #1475 on: February 20, 2021, 01:40:24 pm »
I realy appreciate your Arduino efforts. I was away from this board for a while. In this time I played a little bit with ESPEasy and
found it very handy. But I have no clue how to connect it's serial output which reports the measurements of the available sensors
with TC  :-//
I was looking for a simple solution for temperature measurements with DS1820 sensors. Since I'm a little bit rusty with programming it would be great if one of your (coming) examples brings this popular and cheap temperature sensor into TC!  Thanks in advance!

I had not planned on it, but because it is fairly easy I have made an example and included. I have also made a example with DHT22/AM2302, this is useful to record environment during testing.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1476 on: February 20, 2021, 01:42:21 pm »
Any possibility of integrating modified capability into the SCPIx driver to allow arbitrary EOL commands? May help down the line with integrating different cheaper weird comms protocol chinese instruments or older units.

The #eol can define any type of eol string, but it only works when transmitting. Receiving requires CR or LF or both.

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1477 on: February 20, 2021, 03:46:43 pm »
Hi HKJ

I've adapted the HMC8043 config file to use my Hameg HMP2020 power supply.  I really like what you've done with Test Controller and from now on I plan to stop using Excel and use TC instead for data acquisition - so thank you!

In the attached PDF I detail a minor connection/addressing issue and I also inquire about the implementation of the APPLy command.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1478 on: February 20, 2021, 04:33:43 pm »
I've adapted the HMC8043 config file to use my Hameg HMP2020 power supply.  I really like what you've done with Test Controller and from now on I plan to stop using Excel and use TC instead for data acquisition - so thank you!

In the attached PDF I detail a minor connection/addressing issue and I also inquire about the implementation of the APPLy command.

Thanks for the definition, I have made a few fixes in it including changing to "#port com"

I believe the APPLy command are for writing and reading set point, not actual values.

If you want adapted UI for a project check GridPanel, it is made for that.

The definition will be included with the next release, I have also attached the modified file here (Please check that I have not made any errors).

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1479 on: February 20, 2021, 07:36:41 pm »
HJK, thanks for the fixed config file - it seems to be working perfectly.  Of course you're correct about the APPLy command.  About GridPanel; Googling GridPanel brings up quite a variety of results but I'm guessing you're referring to the Java GridPanel class so all I need to do now is learn to write Java  :palm:  Just learning to use scripting and figuring out how to include temperature data in Test Controller will keep me busy for a while.

My (Artag) AR488 PCB's arrived from China today so now I have everything I need to build some of those interfaces then I can hook up to my four GPIB instruments and see how I get on with them in Test Controller.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1480 on: February 20, 2021, 09:07:15 pm »
About GridPanel; Googling GridPanel brings up quite a variety of results but I'm guessing you're referring to the Java GridPanel class so all I need to do now is learn to write Java 

GridPanel is a function in "Popups", it is a panel you can populate with a variety of different programable controls and then save as a menu.

:palm:  Just learning to use scripting and figuring out how to include temperature data in Test Controller will keep me busy for a while.

Scripting can be done two ways:
1) Generated scripts, TC can generate a lot of different scripts without you knowing anything about the syntax.
2) You do the script

Often the best result is a combination of 1) and 2), let TC generate the basic script and then modify it.

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1481 on: February 22, 2021, 05:13:51 am »
I uploaded the AR488 sketch to a Pro Micro and since I'm new to all of this stuff I wanted to check that the board was programmed okay before I soldered it up.  I used Agilent Connection Expert which found the board and after forcing the installation of an (unrecognised) instrument I could  send the ++ver command to check for a response.  Is there a method to perform such a test using Test Controller?

Offline hirada

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1482 on: February 22, 2021, 02:43:16 pm »
Has by chance anyone had any success using either an Agilent u1272a or a Hioki DT4282 under linux with test controller?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1483 on: February 22, 2021, 03:06:42 pm »
Is there a method to perform such a test using Test Controller?

No, TestController do not have a terminal build in, you can use a program like Termite for it or PuTTY for socket connections.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1484 on: February 22, 2021, 03:10:43 pm »
Has by chance anyone had any success using either an Agilent u1272a or a Hioki DT4282 under linux with test controller?

U1272A is supposed to work, it works on windows.
I have the DT4282, but I do not have the interface cable or the protocol description, making it a bit difficult to add it.

Offline hirada

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1485 on: February 22, 2021, 04:16:20 pm »
Thanks very much for your feedback. For the Hioki, that should be simple, as it's remote commands are somewhat well documented and it claims to use a virtual com port.

There is a remote operation manual able for download:

https://www.hioki.com/en/support/versionup/detail/?downloadid=235

So I am sowhat positive, if I go that route.

For the U1272A the question is, wether Linux is able to detect the IR-USB adapter with the attached DMM correctly. Something that is of course outside the scope of your software.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1486 on: February 22, 2021, 04:30:37 pm »
Thanks very much for your feedback. For the Hioki, that should be simple, as it's remote commands are somewhat well documented and it claims to use a virtual com port.

There is a remote operation manual able for download:

https://www.hioki.com/en/support/versionup/detail/?downloadid=235

So I am sowhat positive, if I go that route.

That looks fairly easy to implement, it is SCPI.

For the U1272A the question is, wether Linux is able to detect the IR-USB adapter with the attached DMM correctly. Something that is of course outside the scope of your software.

The meter uses a virtual com port.

Offline hirada

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1487 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:42 pm »
The meter uses a virtual com port.

And also some subset of SCPI, from what a quick web search was able tell. Thanks again for that information, very helpful.

Offline hirada

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1488 on: February 22, 2021, 07:06:49 pm »
[Edit]: Sorry for the noise, my touchpad right mouseclick does not always work. Using a mouse, everything is fine

On your installation page, right at the bottom, there is a screenshot of the "Create a new SCPI definition" menu. Somehow I am not able to locate this menu?

Probably not related, but I do get an AWT nullpointer exception:

Code: [Select]
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: The BROWSE action is not supported on the current platform!
        at java.awt.Desktop.checkActionSupport(Desktop.java:221)
        at java.awt.Desktop.browse(Desktop.java:380)
        at dk.hkj.main.Main.setupDemo(Main.java:432)
        at dk.hkj.main.Main.update(Main.java:375)
        at dk.hkj.main.Main.access$4(Main.java:373)
        at dk.hkj.main.Main$4.actionPerformed(Main.java:197)
        at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Timer.java:313)
        at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Timer.java:245)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

I am missing something obvious?

# java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_282"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_282-b08)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.282-b08, mixed mode)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 07:13:34 pm by hirada »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1489 on: February 22, 2021, 08:02:21 pm »
On your installation page, right at the bottom, there is a screenshot of the "Create a new SCPI definition" menu. Somehow I am not able to locate this menu?

Right click in the combobox where it says "Search socket"

Probably not related, but I do get an AWT nullpointer exception:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: The BROWSE action is not supported on the current platform!
        at java.awt.Desktop.checkActionSupport(Desktop.java:221)
        at java.awt.Desktop.browse(Desktop.java:380)

I am missing something obvious?

It is me that was missing something, your OS do not have a default webbrowser according to Java. From next version of TC this will not give any errors, but simply be ignored (no webbrowser will be shown).

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1490 on: February 23, 2021, 08:38:09 pm »
HKJ,  I have some progress with my AR488 and can get my 34401A communicating a little with TC.  I say a little because here's what happens;

Load Devices, GPIB, add AR488 on a serial connection on COM6 with baud 9600 & settings blank.
Reboot
Load Devices, select Agilent 34401A, set to COM6, leave baud at 9600 and press reconnect then:

;; Use "Load devices" page for selecting devices to load. Most devices will only load if they are connected and ready.
;; Start thread for: COM6 - Agilent 34401A
;; COM6: Set params: 9600
;; COM6: Tx: <*IDN?.> 2A 49 44 4E 3F 0A
;; COM6: Rx: <HEWLETT-PACKARHEWLETT-PACKARD,34401A,0,7-5-2> 48 45 57 4C 45 54 54 2D 50 41 43 4B 41 52 48 45 57 4C 45 54 54 2D 50 41 43 4B 41 52 44 2C 33 34 34 30 31 41 2C 30 2C 37 2D 35 2D 32
;; Arduino Micro (COM6) Device HEWLETT-PACKARD,34401A, do not match: HEWLETT-PACKARHEWLETT-PACKARD,34401A,0,7-5-2
;; COM6: Close
;; Stopping thread for: COM6 - Agilent 34401A
;; COM6: Close

I remove Agilent 34401A from devices and re-boot
Load Devices, right click combo box for create new SCIPI device definition, switch to Serial tab, change port to port 6 and click “Check” then it finds the instrument but the IDN returned seems “randomly truncated”, please see attached images.

I think I am stuck for loading the DMM because its IDN is being mis-read and never matching what is in the definition file.  Any suggestions?

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1491 on: February 23, 2021, 10:00:41 pm »
I believe the AR488 should be used with 115200 baud? And as for the 34401, I think the device definition needs tweaking so that it can be used in GPIB mode (at which point it's port should be set to A:<GPIB ID>, assuming your AR488 is GPIB bus A). I have not played with GPIB yet though I will once my AR488 PCBs and connector arrive.

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1492 on: February 24, 2021, 01:07:38 am »
Thanks Hydron, you prompted me to have another go at it and I when I ended up trying the AR488 back in the other software I used for testing it I can no longer get a response to *idn.

HKJ - Sorry I hope you haven’t wasted time on this yet, I just thought great! it’s vurking! :-[  Probably a fault with my device not Test Controller.

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1493 on: February 24, 2021, 02:52:21 am »
Okay my bad.  I forgot I was using an USB extension cable.  A 5 metre cable.  I’ve been using it for over a year with my Agilent interface and other stuff no problem but attempting to flash the board through it failed until I plugged it back into PC. 

I already bought a couple of powered USB hubs that were supposed to arrive last weekend - I’m not entirely sure that will eliminate the problem but think it’s worth a try.

The interface is working just as it was with the test utility but I’m no longer getting any response to *idn sent from TC.  I’d like to eliminate the possibility of corrupt data coming back to haunt me so I’m going to start over again with a fresh instance of Test Controller.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 02:54:14 am by AtlanticSurfer »

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1494 on: February 25, 2021, 01:14:15 am »
It’s vurking!

I’ve spent much time trying to add a new SCPI device and still haven’t been able to get any response to that but when I edited the Agilent 34401a device file changing the line from #port COM to #port GPIB and then specifying the address as A:23 (thanks Hydron) on the Devices tab it loaded no problem.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1495 on: February 25, 2021, 08:10:33 am »
changing the line from #port COM to #port GPIB and then specifying the address as A:23 (thanks Hydron) on the Devices tab it loaded no problem.

Use:

#port com gpib

Then you can change between the two on the "Load devices" page.

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1496 on: February 25, 2021, 01:44:15 pm »
Thanks HKJ.  I had been wondering how to configure multiple instruments of the same type if the address is defined in the device file but the “#port com gpib” entry sets the device type on the Devices tab to GPIB and different GPIB addresses can be defined there, the letter (A) defining which interface followed by the address number - makes sense.

I moved on now to having 2x 34401a connected with a GPIB cable and I can:
enable one
reconnect
take measurements okay
disable the first one, enable the other one
reconnect
take measurements okay

The problem I have now is that when both are enabled at the same time I get an exception and neither device loads, debug details attached.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1497 on: February 25, 2021, 02:47:28 pm »
The problem I have now is that when both are enabled at the same time I get an exception and neither device loads, debug details attached.

It was, of course, supposed to work, but I am not sure I can fix it before I have made my own AR488 interface and can test with it. For now you will have to use multiple AR488 interfaces (I hope that will work).
The Arduino used for the AR488 do not have GPIB drivers or termination, that is also a good reason to use fairly short cables and keep the number of devices in a single GPIB bus low. Luckily this interface is very cheap: A Arduino and half a GPIB cable (From EBay) for a interface.

Offline AtlanticSurfer

• Contributor
« Reply #1498 on: February 25, 2021, 03:14:50 pm »
I have spare (Artag) boards and connectors and can throw in a Pro Micro and I’m happy to make one up for you or send as a kit if you prefer?  The only issues with mine are that I have no support between the PCB and the connector and it’s hard to avoid stressing the pins - I plan to get some M3 nuts and screws to clamp them apart and also, I don’t have an enclosure.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1499 on: February 25, 2021, 03:32:00 pm »
I have spare (Artag) boards and connectors and can throw in a Pro Micro and I’m happy to make one up for you or send as a kit if you prefer?  The only issues with mine are that I have no support between the PCB and the connector and it’s hard to avoid stressing the pins - I plan to get some M3 nuts and screws to clamp them apart and also, I don’t have an enclosure.

I did not know about that solution.
I have piles of Nanos and ProMicros and also some GPIB cables I only need to cut a cable and connect it to a processor to get a adapter, but I have not found time to do it yet.
A note: With a ProMicro baudrate do not matter, you can use anything and it will always work at the maximum speed the ProMicro can do.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf