Author Topic: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.  (Read 1597699 times)

0 Members and 237 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 955
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5225 on: November 18, 2025, 08:22:36 pm »
Dear HKJ,

I have updated my Analogic DP100 + Rohde & Schwarz UDL45 definition.

I have added the new #dummyInit + predefined command/answer that come with with TC v2.90, also included the *IDN? (and a #replacetext for the 2nd *IDN?).

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2025, 04:22:34 pm by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5226 on: November 18, 2025, 08:55:12 pm »
I have updated my Analogic DP100 + Rohde & Schwarz UDL45 definition.

Thanks, I have updated the file.

 

Offline MrPete

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 152
  • Country: us
non-USB (ie BT SPP) ATorch DL24MP -- how to retain the connection?
« Reply #5227 on: November 18, 2025, 11:11:59 pm »
Hiya,

Lots of life since I was last here ;) ... time to re-engage.

I have one of the early 2023 ATorch DL24MP loads -- *NO* USB controller port.
For now I'm working on Win10. It was pretty easy to link to the SPP (Serial Port Protocol) BT connection.

The Good News:
* The device is recognized as DL24M in TC

The Bad News:
* As soon as it is recognized, the link is closed, and does not re-open. No errors. Just... closed. Not connected. :(
* TC debug doesn't say any more than that!

Any hints on either how to diagnose or better configure this?

NOTE: I do see that two SPP (virtual COM ports) are created on pairing (COM12 and COM13 in my case), but my understanding is the outbound SPP is able to receive replies... the "inbound" port is simply for externally initiated links.
 

Offline MrPete

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 152
  • Country: us
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5228 on: November 19, 2025, 01:07:30 am »
Sigh... of course, after trying for more than a day w/o success, as SOON as I posted that, suddenly it is talking!!! No idea. ::)
 

Offline MrPete

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 152
  • Country: us
Popup "start" disabled?!
« Reply #5229 on: November 19, 2025, 01:27:55 am »
confused.

  #POPUPBUTTONS "Start" ok "Abort"

The start button is disabled, no matter what I do. What could cause this???
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Popup "start" disabled?!
« Reply #5230 on: November 19, 2025, 08:30:19 am »
confused.

  #POPUPBUTTONS "Start" ok "Abort"

The start button is disabled, no matter what I do. What could cause this???

TC checks all fields on the form and if one failed to validate, the start button will be disabled.
 
The following users thanked this post: MrPete

Offline MrPete

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 152
  • Country: us
Re: Popup "start" disabled?!
« Reply #5231 on: November 19, 2025, 05:28:13 pm »

TC checks all fields on the form and if one failed to validate, the start button will be disabled.

I find no prior conversation about field validation, nor documentation.

Could you provide a hint or two of what kinds of things are checked/validated?

Also: I am running into serious lockup issues. Seemingly random because my script sometimes runs nicely, then fails HARD for a while. The general issue: no timeout while reading. And once in this state, I can't abort. Only solution is kill javaw.exe :(

My thought: perhaps it relates to the fact that I'm connecting to Atorch DL24MP via BT SPP serial emulation. I wonder if timeouts sometimes simply fail with that. :(
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Popup "start" disabled?!
« Reply #5232 on: November 19, 2025, 06:31:55 pm »

TC checks all fields on the form and if one failed to validate, the start button will be disabled.

I find no prior conversation about field validation, nor documentation.

Could you provide a hint or two of what kinds of things are checked/validated?

It is very simple: Number field must contain a number within the specified limits, other fields has something similar.

Also: I am running into serious lockup issues. Seemingly random because my script sometimes runs nicely, then fails HARD for a while. The general issue: no timeout while reading. And once in this state, I can't abort. Only solution is kill javaw.exe :(

My thought: perhaps it relates to the fact that I'm connecting to Atorch DL24MP via BT SPP serial emulation. I wonder if timeouts sometimes simply fail with that. :(

What version are you using, there is a bug except in the latest test version.
 

Offline KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8279
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Popup "start" disabled?!
« Reply #5233 on: November 19, 2025, 06:32:33 pm »

TC checks all fields on the form and if one failed to validate, the start button will be disabled.

I find no prior conversation about field validation, nor documentation.

Could you provide a hint or two of what kinds of things are checked/validated?

Have you tried running the debug mode to see where it fails?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 

Offline MrPete

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 152
  • Country: us
Re: Popup "start" disabled?!
« Reply #5234 on: November 20, 2025, 07:16:10 am »
Have you tried running the debug mode to see where it fails?

Yep. Nothing helpful.
Today I'm getting other interesting anomalies. Time to back up and ensure core aspects are solid... as our Fearless Leader noted, if I'm not running the latest test version, most likely it's busted anyway...
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Popup "start" disabled?!
« Reply #5235 on: November 20, 2025, 09:10:15 am »
Today I'm getting other interesting anomalies. Time to back up and ensure core aspects are solid... as our Fearless Leader noted, if I'm not running the latest test version, most likely it's busted anyway...

Nearly all versions of TC works fine, but because I do not run a large test before releasing a new version, sometimes bugs get out. If it is a serious bug that affect a lot of people I try to fix it fast and put out a new release immediately.
 
The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 955
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5236 on: November 22, 2025, 08:23:07 am »
When running TC with multiple defintions containing + predefined command/answer, it is hard to select the right "Dummy" interface



Maybe rename to <#handle on Dummy> instead ?
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5237 on: November 22, 2025, 09:56:26 am »
When running TC with multiple defintions containing + predefined command/answer, it is hard to select the right "Dummy" interface

Maybe rename to <#handle on Dummy> instead ?

Type a name in the address field.
 

Offline MrPete

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 152
  • Country: us
Re: Popup "start" disabled?!
« Reply #5238 on: November 22, 2025, 07:13:24 pm »
Today I'm getting other interesting anomalies. Time to back up and ensure core aspects are solid... as our Fearless Leader noted, if I'm not running the latest test version, most likely it's busted anyway...

Nearly all versions of TC works fine, but because I do not run a large test before releasing a new version, sometimes bugs get out. If it is a serious bug that affect a lot of people I try to fix it fast and put out a new release immediately.

It was my version. :( Thanks for the heads up! Found the beta link (not so obvious, but crucial right now...)

Made rapid progress until I accidentally smoked my load box :( ... that's a whole 'nother story LOL.

THANKS!!!
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 955
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5239 on: November 26, 2025, 08:04:28 pm »
Minor redraw problem in the Dummy driver windows of TC v2.90

The selected driver has 4 command/answer, while de previously selected driver has 7, and therefore the last 3 positions (one empty line and CALDUE? and VAL? in the example below) are not redrawn correctly. When I resize the window, the left-over lines are removed.



Always happens if the previous selected driver has more lines as the selected driver.
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5240 on: November 27, 2025, 12:48:02 pm »
Minor redraw problem in the Dummy driver windows of TC v2.90

The selected driver has 4 command/answer, while de previously selected driver has 7, and therefore the last 3 positions (one empty line and CALDUE? and VAL? in the example below) are not redrawn correctly. When I resize the window, the left-over lines are removed.

Always happens if the previous selected driver has more lines as the selected driver.

Look like my table refresh fails when changing between interfaces, I will look at it.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5241 on: November 28, 2025, 12:26:35 pm »
V2.91 is up
TC could lock up, this version fixes that, it also add a couple of new devices and updates some. There is improvements to the dummy interface.
V2.91
   Updated: Analogic DP100 & R&S UDL45 Multimeters (Thanks Flash2b)
   Added: Rigol DHO914s Oscilloscope (Thanks Z Electronica UY)
   Added: Prema 6000, Prema 4001 DMM (Thanks Flash2b)
   Added: Dummy definitions can be integrated in device definitions.
   Added: Load/save of dummy interface definitions.
   Fixed: TC locked up sometimes when using setup menu and logging.
   Added: Prema 5001, Prema 6001 DMM (Thanks Flash2b)
   Updated: Hameg HM8112-1, Hameg HM8112-2, Prema 4000, Prema 5000 DMM (Thanks Flash2b)
   Update: UNI-T UTL8511+, UNI-T UTL8512+ and UNI-T UTL8513+ Electronic load (Thanks homico)
   Fixed: AdvComboBox now supports preview, even if the expressions fail.
   Added: GW Instek PSB-2400H, GW Instek PSB-2400L, GW Instek PSB-2800H and GW Instek PSB-2800L Power supplies (Thanks gpy)

In addition to the above I have worked on a AdvNumber control, it is not finished, but people are welcome to test it. Only difference to the current number is that it supports expressions for min/max value. Note: Avoid circular updates, for power supplies use it on either current or voltage, not both!
 
The following users thanked this post: Gertjan, flash2b, KungFuJosh

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 955
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5242 on: November 28, 2025, 01:24:07 pm »
Minor redraw problem in the Dummy driver windows of TC v2.90

The selected driver has 4 command/answer, while de previously selected driver has 7, and therefore the last 3 positions (one empty line and CALDUE? and VAL? in the example below) are not redrawn correctly. When I resize the window, the left-over lines are removed.

Always happens if the previous selected driver has more lines as the selected driver.

Look like my table refresh fails when changing between interfaces, I will look at it.

You fixed it in V2.91, thank you !
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5243 on: November 28, 2025, 01:29:04 pm »
You fixed it in V2.91, thank you !

Yes, I added code to properly update when table was changed and I did it to switch of interface, load and restore predefined driver.
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 955
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5244 on: November 28, 2025, 01:51:44 pm »
Unfortunately you made de *idn? for the dymmy interface mandatory in V2.91 so my Hameg HM8112-1, HM8112-2 and Prema 4000/4001/5000/5001/6000/6001 definition with dummy driver support does not work anymore.  :--

Well if I have time I will update it again.....
« Last Edit: November 28, 2025, 02:09:53 pm by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5245 on: November 28, 2025, 01:56:23 pm »
Unfortunately you made de *idn? for the dymmy interface mandatory in V2.91 so my Hameg HM8112-1, HM8112-2 and Prema 4000/4001/5000/5001/6000/6001 definition with dummy driver support does not work anymore.  :--

Well if I have time I will update it again.....

You can't be surprised about that, I did specify that I would.
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 955
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5246 on: November 28, 2025, 02:11:12 pm »
I am not surprised and it is also not a big deal. Some more #replacetext statements and it will work again.

May be I am mistaken and selected the wrong type/adress, there are so many on my TC  :-DD But after typing a name in adress with type=Dummy it seems to work. I will give it a good test and report back.
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4820
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5247 on: November 28, 2025, 07:44:23 pm »
I am not surprised and it is also not a big deal. Some more #replacetext statements and it will work again.

I had to do it or I would have got some serious complains about it later. Anyway it was a bug in my initial code that you could get around the *idn?

To be correct: You do not need the *idn?, but it makes it much harder to initialize a dummy driver without it, except for devices that do not identify the device.

May be I am mistaken and selected the wrong type/adress, there are so many on my TC  :-DD But after typing a name in adress with type=Dummy it seems to work. I will give it a good test and report back.

???
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 955
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5248 on: November 29, 2025, 10:26:48 am »
I'll explain...

- When a definition that does not identify the devices .and. Address on "Load Devices" is empty, TC will use the settingsDummyDummy.txt file.

- When this file is not created (yet), a definition without *IDN? as command/answer within the definition, will timeout. After this the settingsDummyDummy.txt is created anyway with default content:
Code: [Select]
CaseSensitive:0
StreamingMode:none
cmd:*IDN?|init:|ex:"Dummy,Dummy,0,0"
cmd:test?|init:|ex:sineWave(10,1)
cmd:test|init:|ex:

- Since this default command/answer does not correspond to the definition it will not work, but using the button "Predefined" within the Dummy Interface, the embedded command/answer from the definition can overwrite the content of the settingsDummyDummy.txt.

- After a reconnect of the device, it works again since the content matches the definition

I have added a space holder after the #dummyInit that I populate (within the #metadef section) using a #replacetext with each of the 8 different id's (so 8 #replacetext's in total) of the devices it supports, e.g. #replacetext Dummy_X001 cmd:*IDN?|init:|ex:"Prema,6000,0,0"

Now the dummy driver always has a *IDN? command/answer and the settingsDummyDummy.txt can be created also when it does not exist and it will overwrite with the correct content of the definition after timeout.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2025, 11:00:21 am by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 955
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5249 on: November 30, 2025, 04:19:02 pm »
I am trying to interface to a BSide I8 3010 PSU which is controlled over ModBus_RTU over a serial connection (COM).

- The device ID is set to address: 001
- The functions are 03 for Read register and 06 for Write register
- The commands are 2 byte value e.g. 0x0030 for set output voltage
- A crc is need 2 byte to complete the sequence

The example given in a txt file is:

Quote
Example: Set the output voltage to 1.23V;
1. Convert the value into an integer, that is, 1.23*100=123; (the 100 data is the conversion ratio of the voltage control value)
2. Convert 123 to hexadecimal number 0x7B; that is, the value corresponding to the high-order "HH" of the control value is "00"; the value corresponding to the low-order "LL" of the control value is "7B";
3. The command sent is: "01 06 00 30 00 7B C9 E6" (the following two bytes "C9" and "E6" are the CRC code of the command).

How do I do that in TC, and what protocol driver do I need ?
Is there a definition that uses a same/similar approach ?


« Last Edit: December 09, 2025, 04:22:18 pm by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->