Author Topic: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.  (Read 1635662 times)

0 Members and 149 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5650 on: February 04, 2026, 02:48:58 pm »
I have updated my Owon LCR2000 definition.

Changed: unit uS to S and Bulk_Factor_B into Susceptance; Fixed: Rp-Q Impedance range; Added: #interface commands, Display Page in System tab and Auto LZC, Sync, Local, Remote in Mode menu

HKJ please add it to TC.

* Owon LCR2000 v1.01 Final.zip (6.02 kB - downloaded 20 times.)
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline homico

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 43
  • Country: ru
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5651 on: February 04, 2026, 03:37:15 pm »
@homico

Can you fix you defintion please ?

The UNI-T UTL8511+, UNI-T UTL8512+ and UNI-T UTL8513+ definition produces an error:

Code: [Select]
dk.hkj.devices.SetupFormats$NumberField - Amp_Fall - Line do not contain 3 parameters: :-------------------------------------------
I didn't find any bugs. The command is correct and the device responds and changes its settings accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2026, 05:17:12 am by homico »
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5652 on: February 04, 2026, 03:41:01 pm »
I did also check for you, but I could also not find a mistake.

The error pops up if you go to About in the Configuration tab of  TC  and have the debug windows open. Maybe HKJ can help you to resolve it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2026, 03:43:24 pm by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5653 on: February 05, 2026, 09:44:55 am »
There is no version of the meters without the A, that makes the letter superfluous and I prefer the slightly shorter handle.

I heard a rumor there will be a 34465B. ;)

The you add a B to the handle.
Keysight has made B models before, they have a handheld with a B.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5654 on: February 05, 2026, 09:51:56 am »
I can't get the #metaSection and #sections to work.

...

So bottom line, there is a problem with #metaDebug for sure, and it seems that #sections are not handled correctly for Modbus driver.

I can't see what is going wrong, try using the option to save the generated file and check it.

The meta stuff do not care about driver, it is processed before TC even parse the driver specification or anything else of the definition.
TC may process a definition up to 3 times:
First it handles all the meta stuff.
Second it do a fast scan of the first part of the definition for specific tags.
And when it first time has to use the definition it do a full parse of it, this is obvious when loading the device, but there are also other stuff that forces a full parse of all definitions.

 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5655 on: February 05, 2026, 09:56:20 am »
I have update my Yokogawa defintion.

Added: embededed dummyInit; #interface commands, modeRanges? to read from cached modeVal, DA Output Option support, Cleanup for 7551/7552, function and range commands, Changed dB to 5 decimals.

HKJ please add it to TC.

Updated, thanks
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5656 on: February 05, 2026, 09:57:47 am »
I have updated my Owon LCR2000 definition.

Changed: unit uS to S and Bulk_Factor_B into Susceptance; Fixed: Rp-Q Impedance range; Added: #interface commands, Display Page in System tab and Auto LZC, Sync, Local, Remote in Mode menu

HKJ please add it to TC.

Updated, thanks.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5657 on: February 05, 2026, 10:23:38 am »
@homico

Can you fix you defintion please ?

The UNI-T UTL8511+, UNI-T UTL8512+ and UNI-T UTL8513+ definition produces an error:

Code: [Select]
dk.hkj.devices.SetupFormats$NumberField - Amp_Fall - Line do not contain 3 parameters: :-------------------------------------------
I didn't find any bugs. The command is correct and the device responds and changes its settings accordingly.
(Attachment Link)

The error message is a bit misleading, the issue is the line:
:-------------------------------------------

Starting it with ; instead fixes the error messages, but I do not know if it causes other issues in the driver definition


 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5658 on: February 05, 2026, 10:24:51 am »
I can't get the #metaSection and #sections to work.

...

So bottom line, there is a problem with #metaDebug for sure, and it seems that #sections are not handled correctly for Modbus driver.

I can't see what is going wrong, try using the option to save the generated file and check it.

The meta stuff do not care about driver, it is processed before TC even parse the driver specification or anything else of the definition.
TC may process a definition up to 3 times:
First it handles all the meta stuff.
Second it do a fast scan of the first part of the definition for specific tags.
And when it first time has to use the definition it do a full parse of it, this is obvious when loading the device, but there are also other stuff that forces a full parse of all definitions.

If I put #metaDebug in my Yokogawa defintion, I see everything that is replaced, deleted and so on shifting by on the log window.

But if I put #metaDebug in my new definition, I only see the heading lines and none of the changes it makes. When I introduce an deliberate error, I do see it (like I showed).

But non the less it does not pickup the section that was defined by #sections, but i will exclude it. So for me what it seems, regardless of the #metaDebug stuff), it does process something but no including.

How so I save the intermediate file that is generated while processing ?
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5659 on: February 05, 2026, 10:25:50 am »
The error pops up if you go to About in the Configuration tab of  TC  and have the debug windows open.

That is one of the condition that forces a full parse of all definition (See my answer to flash2b about that).
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5660 on: February 05, 2026, 10:28:20 am »
How so I save the intermediate file that is generated while processing ?

You do not save a intermediate file, but the final definitions just before it is parsed (I suppose you can call that intermediate):
It is very simple:
#metaDebug save
It is saved in a specific location with a fixed filename and TC will list that when it saves the file.
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5661 on: February 05, 2026, 10:31:28 am »
Thank you, I will try that and let you know my findings.
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HairyWombat

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 78
  • Country: au
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5662 on: February 07, 2026, 06:25:14 am »
Hello new to the forum and only just found this program.

I have an old Protek 505 (Modified to become a 506) so thought I would give it a go.
Hooked it up, loaded the Protek 506 definition and it works great until I stick the DMM into temperature mode.
I have a reflow oven coming and wanted to test its curves.

Only get one reading if I'm lucky and the program wont close for ages.
Ran it in debug mode and can see the TX requests but no RX data, polling seems slow and boggy.
Opened putty with the 1200N72 and got responses to a CR every time in both VDC and TEMP modes.
What I did notice while in Putty is that there is a caret sent before the C so TEMP 0030 ^C is sent but not in other modes.
In VDC it sends DC 0.000 V.

This is noted in a post some time back with a jpg of the data from the manual.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/msg3011494/#msg3011494

I suspect the caret to be throwing the program an exception but not sure what to stick in the definition file to ignore/include it.

Any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2026, 07:32:53 am by HairyWombat »
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5663 on: February 07, 2026, 09:46:14 am »
I can test it on my 506, but give me some time to report back.
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5664 on: February 07, 2026, 11:22:03 am »
What I did notice while in Putty is that there is a caret sent before the C so TEMP 0030 ^C is sent but not in other modes.

This means you may have to change this line (I do not remember if TC filters the ^ or not):

#value Temperature °C int TEMPC

to:

#value Temperature °C int TEMP^C

 

Offline HairyWombat

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 78
  • Country: au
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5665 on: February 07, 2026, 12:56:27 pm »
What I did notice while in Putty is that there is a caret sent before the C so TEMP 0030 ^C is sent but not in other modes.

This means you may have to change this line (I do not remember if TC filters the ^ or not):

#value Temperature °C int TEMPC

to:

#value Temperature °C int TEMP^C

Yeah I tried that but it stopped defining TEMP all together.
Can you enter the caret in hex, if so whats the syntax to use?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2026, 01:05:05 pm by HairyWombat »
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5666 on: February 07, 2026, 01:22:29 pm »
Dear HKJ, I have created 3 new definitions for temperature acquisition modules manufactured by Eletechsup.

These modules are Modbus_RTU controlled and offer temperature measurement in Celcius using standard B3950 1% NTC thermistors. There are several mounting types of  NTC thermistors available, which is a great bonus.



The definitions are:
- Eletechsup NT18B07 7CH temperature acquisition module
- Eletechsup NT28B16 16CH temperature acquisition module (10k, 20k,50k and 100k versions)
- Eletechsup NT38D01 1CH temperature acquisition module (10k, 20k,50k and 100k versions)



The applied NTC thermistors can be calibrated for each channel via the Setup menu. The NT28B16 and NT38D01 can also measure resistance, so those definitions also have a Mode menu.



Please add the attached definition files (all 3 are in 1 zip file) to the next release of the wonderful TestController.

Thank you for all your support HKJ !

Now part of TestController V2.96

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

PS.
I am also working in the similar Eletechsup NT48-series but I need to get the #sections and #metaSection to get working first.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2026, 09:48:15 am by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5667 on: February 07, 2026, 01:23:27 pm »
Yeah I tried that but it stopped defining TEMP all together.
Can you enter the caret in hex, if so whats the syntax to use?

Hex is \x00
Unicode is \u0000
I do not remember if they work there
 

Offline HairyWombat

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 78
  • Country: au
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5668 on: February 07, 2026, 01:29:53 pm »
Yeah I tried that but it stopped defining TEMP all together.
Can you enter the caret in hex, if so whats the syntax to use?

Hex is \x00
Unicode is \u0000
I do not remember if they work there

Thanks HKJ
Just tried that as #value Temperature °C int TEMP\x5EC
Is a separator required?

Seems anything I put there stops it defining TEMP.

Lets let Flash2B blow the dust off his 506 and see what he finds.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2026, 01:37:52 pm by HairyWombat »
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5669 on: February 07, 2026, 01:40:17 pm »
Dear HKJ, I have created 3 new definitions for temperature acquisition modules manufactured by Eletechsup.

...

Please add the attached definition files (all 3 are in 1 zip file) to the next release of the wonderful TestController.

I have added them, it looks like nice modules if you want to register a load of temperatures.

PS.
I am also working in the similar Eletechsup NT48-series but I need to get the #sections and #metaSection to get working first.

I wonder why you has issues with it, try checking some scope definitions, they are often used for 2/4 channel models.
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5670 on: February 07, 2026, 03:11:19 pm »
Another question, how does TestController find out the Modbus Address ?

Currently all my devices use 001, but I can also chain them. When I have multiple devices on the same serial port do I need to do something special ?
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5671 on: February 07, 2026, 03:15:03 pm »
Another question, how does TestController find out the Modbus Address ?

Currently all my devices use 001, but I can also chain them. When I have multiple devices on the same serial port do I need to do something special ?

TC always uses address 1, it expect each modbus device has its own connection (That is also best for performance, it can not do parallel inquires on shared communication lines).
You can change the address with a SCPI command, this makes it possible to handle devices with multiple address.
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5672 on: February 07, 2026, 03:47:23 pm »
The idea of the RS485 bus was that multiple devices could share the same host controller using different addresses. I expected this already that TC does not support that since I could not set the address with some TC command.

I can change the Modbus address of the Eletechsup devices via command but altering them from 001 to something else TC will (probably) not be able again to communicate. With a terminal program I can reset them to factory settings via a Modbus broadcast typing in some hex codes by hand.

Multiple serial ports can solve it for me, or the NT48C32 which is 32 channels  :-DD
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5673 on: February 07, 2026, 04:18:08 pm »
The idea of the RS485 bus was that multiple devices could share the same host controller using different addresses. I expected this already that TC does not support that since I could not set the address with some TC command.

I can change the Modbus address of the Eletechsup devices via command but altering them from 001 to something else TC will (probably) not be able again to communicate. With a terminal program I can reset them to factory settings via a Modbus broadcast typing in some hex codes by hand.

Multiple serial ports can solve it for me, or the NT48C32 which is 32 channels  :-DD

TC can use other addresses (It was missing from the documentation, but has been in TC for a long time), but it is not usable for a single device with a address different from 1, except if it is done in the definition.
What I really need to do for that is create a special shared modbus interface. Would be similar to GPIB and probably be on the same page and share some code with it. Then I could use the same syntax as GPIB for getting the address.
 

Offline flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5674 on: February 07, 2026, 04:40:13 pm »
My current RS485 adapters say that they support 32 devices on the bus, due to the load of the signal path. I have ordered a 4 channel adapter with one USB input but that one also creates 4 ports so not a single port.

Will you disclose the use of other addresses so that I can use in in definitions ?
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->