Author Topic: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.  (Read 1635034 times)

flash2b and 107 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8301
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5850 on: February 27, 2026, 06:46:55 am »
Build a second AR488 and connect them separately.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 
The following users thanked this post: 2X

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5851 on: February 27, 2026, 07:37:06 am »
May be a bug in TestController ?

From what I understood, you can setup a GPIB on a serial port. Then label it with a letter, like A. Then each device connected to the AR488 needs it own address like, 21 and 22. Then you assign the first meter as being A:21 as the port and the second as A:22 as the port. TC should then be able to talk to them dependently.
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 
The following users thanked this post: 2X

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5852 on: February 27, 2026, 07:51:12 am »
I built an AR488 GPIB interface and it seems to work ok. I have two HP 34401As configured and connected. When I configure both in Testcontroller, it's not able to talk to either.

However, If I disable either one, the enabled one works as expected. Just not when both are enabled.  I'm not changing any of the connections, so I think the cabling is ok.

Any ideas?

This is a known bug in TestController, because I do not usually use GPIB I have not gotten around to fix it. Use two GPIB adapters, one for each meter.


 

Offline Tjuurko

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 165
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5853 on: February 27, 2026, 11:42:53 am »
You must initialize the var before its first use, i.e. call C from #initCmd
Thanks, that helped.
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5854 on: March 01, 2026, 02:24:43 pm »
How can I :update: an (advanced) control from a control on a {page} when the (advanced) control is a grouped toggleButton on an other {page} that does not have a name ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2026, 02:26:16 pm by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5855 on: March 01, 2026, 02:46:34 pm »
How can I :update: an (advanced) control from a control on a {page} when the (advanced) control is a grouped toggleButton on an other {page} that does not have a name ?

The grouping is supposed to pass the update request, you can specify a update without a page.

It is supposed to work, but I have not tested it.
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5856 on: March 01, 2026, 02:53:25 pm »
If the {page} with no name has only 1 #cmdSetup toggleButton Output_ it works, if it has more than 1 it does not work.

Nevermind it works all of a sudden.... that happens a lot after testing 20x and then asking you and then it works... magic !
« Last Edit: March 01, 2026, 02:57:33 pm by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5857 on: March 01, 2026, 02:56:19 pm »
If the {page} with no name has only 1 #cmdSetup toggleButton Output_ it works, if it has more than 1 it does not work.

I will have to look at that, but it might be a few days.
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5858 on: March 01, 2026, 03:02:25 pm »
As described above, a none problem.

Fine tuning the :update: for a setup menu under all conditions takes a lot of time to get right. Eventually it will be 100%.  ;D
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Offline Tjuurko

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 165
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5859 on: March 04, 2026, 03:52:21 am »
Which option is preferable to use?
Code: [Select]
#driver Modbus

#scpiCmd VSet? holding? 0x10/1000
#scpiCmd ISet? holding? 0x11/1000

#scpiCmd values? holding? 0x10 /1000;holding? 0x11 /1000

#value VoltageSet V D4
#value CurrentSet A D4
or
Code: [Select]
#driver Modbus

#scpiCmd VSet? holding? 0x10/1000
#scpiCmd ISet? holding? 0x11/1000

#askValues VSet?;ISet?

#value VoltageSet V D4
#value CurrentSet A D4
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5860 on: March 04, 2026, 08:09:43 am »
Which option is preferable to use?


I like this one best:

#askValues VSet?;ISet?
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5861 on: March 08, 2026, 07:03:19 am »
I have created 3 new definitions:

1. Eletechsup N4IOA01 1CH 0-20mA Current DAC module
This is a programmable current source that uses a MindMotion MM32F0010A1T ARM Cortex M0 48MHz micro controller.



2. Eletechsup N4DAC02 2CH 0-5V + 0-10V Voltage DAC module
This is a programmable  voltage source that uses MindMotion MM32F0010A1T ARM Cortex M0 48MHz micro controller.



3. Eletechsup N4DBA06 2CH 0-5V/0-10V Voltage & 1CH 0-20mA Current ADC + 2CH 0-5V/0-10V Voltage & 1CH 0-20mA Current DAC + Digital Input/Output module
This is a programmable voltage source + programmable current source and also a ADC (including DI and DO) that uses a Novoton MS51FB9AE MCS51 1T 16MHz micro controller.



The MindMotion processor of the first two modules is very fast, much faster than the Novoton of the last one. It is a pity that Eletechsup did not incorporate a MindMotion on the N4DBA06.

These modules a very versatile. With the N4DBA06 you can build a "Poor Man's SMU" since it can measure and output signals at the same time. It also includes 1 channel Digital Input and Digital Output, where as this definition is the second one where an author that has incorporated this (I mean a digital trace) into TC after HKJ himself.

The pictures show the modules and the options I included on the setup menu for TestController.

HKJ please add the attached definitions to the wonderful world of TestController.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Part of TC release v3.00
« Last Edit: May 11, 2026, 11:11:06 am by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5862 on: March 08, 2026, 08:28:44 am »
I have created 3 new definitions:

HKJ please add the attached definitions to the wonderful world of TestController.

They are added, thanks.

Do you have any relay modules planned? I would like to support some commercials models, not only DIY.
There is a reason I ask, it has to do with a new function in TC that I am working on.
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5863 on: March 08, 2026, 08:35:06 am »
Yes I am researching at the moment. There are many, but I want to have fast response. On the picture on internet it is very hard to see which microcontroller is used on the PCB.

I was astonished how quick the MindMotion MM32F0010A1T processes Modbus, as you can see on the first graph that I created using the Param Adjuster of TC.

I will let you know which one I will purchase,  ok ? 
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5864 on: March 08, 2026, 08:52:51 am »
Yes I am researching at the moment. There are many, but I want to have fast response. On the picture on internet it is very hard to see which microcontroller is used on the PCB.

I was astonished how quick the MindMotion MM32F0010A1T processes Modbus, as you can see on the first graph that I created using the Param Adjuster of TC.

Any microprocessor can process modbus fast, it is more a question about how it is programmed than about what processor is used.

I will let you know which one I will purchase,  ok ?

I only need a two channel relay module and I need these definition implemented:
#interfaceType Relay
#interface setRelays

The second one has a bitmask specifying what relays to turn on/off.

You can probably get some inspiration from: HKJSS-Relay.txt that implement a DIY solid state relay (In this case I do not want a (simple) SS relay). There is a full description of the DIY model here: https://lygte-info.dk/project/SSRelay%20UK.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2026, 09:04:05 am by HKJ »
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5865 on: March 08, 2026, 09:35:12 am »
Your remark about the speed of Modbus processing, is true. It helps however that a Cortex M0 @ 48Mhz is used.

I will focus on 2 channel versions and will take a look at your homebrew version.
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5866 on: March 08, 2026, 09:44:40 am »
Your remark about the speed of Modbus processing, is true. It helps however that a Cortex M0 @ 48Mhz is used.

I will focus on 2 channel versions and will take a look at your homebrew version.

Here is the preliminary documentation for what I am working on:
http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerPopupBatteryTest%20UK.html
You can see where the relay goes in the documentation.

It will be some time before it is ready, I have not even done a full test yet, mostly because it takes a lot of time.

I have also made a DIY SS-relay that fits perfectly for the above task (and used it for it), but I have not published it.
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5867 on: March 08, 2026, 11:08:39 am »
A 2CH Eletechsup that fits the requirement is: Eletechsup 10IOA02 12V 2CH Isolation Digital Switch 2DI-2DO. (RS485 Modbus)

There is also the N228D02 which is RS232 (cheaper) which uses binary frames, like Relay 1: 55 56 00 00 00 01 00 AC, but do not know if TC supports that.

I like to stick to Modbus and Eletechsup has excellent documentation.

You cannot do PWM with a mechanical relay like your project. I do not know if this is required.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2026, 11:56:38 am by flash2b »
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5868 on: March 08, 2026, 12:23:26 pm »
A 2CH Eletechsup that fits the requirement is: Eletechsup 10IOA02 12V 2CH Isolation Digital Switch 2DI-2DO. (RS485 Modbus)

There is also the N228D02 which is RS232 (cheaper) which uses binary frames, like Relay 1: 55 56 00 00 00 01 00 AC, but do not know if TC supports that.

I like to stick to Modbus and Eletechsup has excellent documentation.

You cannot do PWM with a mechanical relay like your project. I do not know if this is required.

Only on/off is required.
The output must not be polarized and that precludes many simple SS relays, including my design. Mechanical relays and some SS relays can handle it.

TC can handle many binary protocols, standard requirements is that the message is fixed length and it has a specific start byte: https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerConfigDevice2%20UK.html#Binary_with_fixed_communication_blocks_(Block)
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5869 on: March 08, 2026, 01:07:34 pm »
Interface command: #interface setRelays, Bitmask specifying what relays to turn on/off.

For me to understand
- Does this mean that if I write 0b00 to the interface function, both relays are off and 0b11 both relays are on ? So bit 0 is relay 0 etc. ?
- Do you support pulsing as well ?
- Do you support toggling as well ?
- Do you support 2 relays work together or always independent ?
 
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5870 on: March 08, 2026, 01:17:26 pm »
Interface command: #interface setRelays, Bitmask specifying what relays to turn on/off.

For me to understand
- Does this mean that if I write 0b00 to the interface function, both relays are off and 0b11 both relays are on ? So bit 0 is relay 0 etc. ?
- Do you support pulsing as well ?
- Do you support toggling as well ?
- Do you support 2 relays work together or always independent ?

The relays sends a bitmask that controls multiple relays, like you guessed.
I have a setRelay() that has a 1 or 0 parameter to turn a relay on/off, that might not be obvious for a relay with multiple channels.
The trick is this line:

#interfaceType Relay Relay:2 Relay:3 Relay:4

It declares that the interface has 4 independent devices that is accessed by adding :2, :3 or :4 to the handle.
This will also be reflected in popup "Test interface for current selected device" where you can select what number to test.

I have not defined commands for other functions, but you are welcome to define them.
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5871 on: March 08, 2026, 02:30:47 pm »
I will give it a try then.

If I have an testable version ready, I recon you can take a look if it supports what you need from the #interface aspect. I want to incorporate all features that the board supports in a definition. It is upon the user to use what he/she wants.

Can I share testable versions via email to you?
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5872 on: March 08, 2026, 02:38:42 pm »
I will give it a try then.

If I have an testable version ready, I recon you can take a look if it supports what you need from the #interface aspect. I want to incorporate all features that the board supports in a definition. It is upon the user to use what he/she wants.

That sounds good.

Can I share testable versions via email to you?

You can, but I cannot do any testing without hardware, only look at the definition.

You can test it by using the battery test function from the next beta, even if it is not in the menu, there is a way to activate it.
Before it goes into the menu I need to run a couple of test with different hardware configurations and see they are handled correctly.
 

Online flash2b

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 976
  • Country: nl
  • Everything I like about myself is better with you.
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5873 on: March 08, 2026, 02:49:37 pm »
Are you aware that the problem: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/msg6072623/#msg6072623 still exists in the current V2.96 of TC ?

I was doing some math calculations and there were some Java errors in the log and the formula was in red, then I remembered that I needed to add a . in the formula.
They say attention is a shovel. It's time to dig 'em out.
 

Online HKJTopic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4848
  • Country: dk
    • Tests
Re: Program that can log/control many multimeters and other devices.
« Reply #5874 on: March 08, 2026, 02:53:50 pm »
Are you aware that the problem: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/msg6072623/#msg6072623 still exists in the current V2.96 of TC ?

I was doing some math calculations and there were some Java errors in the log and the formula was in red, then I remembered that I needed to add a . in the formula.

I was not, I will have to look at it again.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->