Author Topic: PSU: Aim TTi MX100TP vs GW Instek GPP-4323  (Read 1753 times)

Offline mtnzap73Topic starter

• Contributor
PSU: Aim TTi MX100TP vs GW Instek GPP-4323
« on: December 12, 2020, 11:47:46 pm »
I have tried to find most info in other posts, but it's a broad topic in general. I had a Keysight E36313A all ordered up, but I chickened out. $2.5K CAD was too much of a stressor; how to explain it to the better half?
So, I reset the whole exercise. The Aim TTi MX100TP appears to match the requirements. But, then the Instek GPP-4323 appears to have similar specs, at half the price. So, what am I missing?

One post had the comment that at the price range being discussed (~$1.5K CAD) that the spec range was what is to be expected no matter what the 'brand'. To get to the next snack bracket, it would be the E36313A for the extra $1K.

I am fine with the AIM TTi at about $1.5K. It is hard to ignore the Instek, but I don't want to end up with a lower quality item. You get what you pay for, so is the answer really obvious, that at the $1.5K price range, the AIM TTi really is twice the item (durability, usability, really meeting spec, etc) over the Instek?

Offline mtnzap73Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: PSU: Aim TTi MX100TP vs GW Instek GPP-4323
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 01:19:00 am »
Too late, I went for the TTi.
I noticed a beta Test Bridge Software for the TTi. That will be nice, and helped punch it thru for me.

Tequipment is easy to use, got the eevblog discount. They were excellent on my previous purchase of an air solder unit (missed on the discount tho).

Odd thing though, when I initially tried to buy the Instek, it would not go thru, forced me to do a quote. Smart on them, I couldn't wait and decided to get the TTi for double the $.

Offline PeterKlop

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 10:45:42 pm »
I had the same two supplies on my shortlist. In the end i bought the GW Instek. I found the display and price to be more to my liking and the DC load function of the Instek comes in handy sometimes. The price was the biggest factor because i don't believe the Instek to be of lesser quality, it's a very decent supply. Since i don't need any PC/remote (LXI) functionalty the P models from AIM are not for me also.

It's hard to overlook the fact that i could put two of those Instek supplies on my bench for the same money as the one AIM supply (not that i want two of them). I also own two Instek bench multimeters that i like so i am a little bit biased. But i am also always somewhat drawn to AIM-TTI units for some reason i don't understand. Sure, they are good but so are a lot of others.

The Instek supply is completely lineair where the AIM is a switching/lineair hybrid (final regulation is lineair). Judging by the specs this doesn't matter much, the AIM performs also well (in regards to ripple and noise).

Anyhow, congrats with your purchase, it's a very nice power supply.

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 12:20:23 am »
I have tried to find most info in other posts, but it's a broad topic in general. I had a Keysight E36313A all ordered up, but I chickened out. $2.5K CAD was too much of a stressor; how to explain it to the better half?
So, I reset the whole exercise. The Aim TTi MX100TP appears to match the requirements. But, then the Instek GPP-4323 appears to have similar specs, at half the price. So, what am I missing?

One post had the comment that at the price range being discussed (~$1.5K CAD) that the spec range was what is to be expected no matter what the 'brand'. To get to the next snack bracket, it would be the E36313A for the extra $1K.
I did buy the Keysight E36313A a couple of years ago. However if the GW Instek GPP-4323 would have been available back then I'd ended up buying that one.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 05:59:06 pm »
I just ordered the GPP-3323 with LAN (Europe version) let's see how that turns out, delivery can be slow....
GW Instek doesn't provide sense terminals, but for this price. (edit, except the one channel version)
The load function is a nice extra, even though it doesn't work below 1.5V (I will test it)

GPP-3323 has up to 3A on USB like to connect a Raspberry Pi or terminals max 5A with a second Raspberry pi.
(channel 3 and 4 of the GPP-4323 are limited to 1A)

Edit delivery expected in week 2 of 2021
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:18:36 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Online Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 10:26:22 pm »
I went for the GPP-4323, an extra 15V channel was worth the price difference and the 1A limit is OK for channels 3 and 4.

The load function does work below 1.5V, with the following caveats:
- Will not allow a CV setting <1.5V, but will maintain CC regulation at least down to 0.8V (I tested it discharging a NiMH to this level)
- Will not _display_ a voltage below 1V, however it will still read it back via SCPI
- Cannot switch between PSU/Load modes with voltage on the terminals (mainly annoying if you want to automate a battery charge/discharge cycle test or something).
I have not tested CR mode much yet, nor how low it will go (below the 0.8V mentioned) in CC.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 09:51:55 am »
- Cannot switch between PSU/Load modes with voltage on the terminals (mainly annoying if you want to automate a battery charge/discharge cycle test or something).
I read in the manual that the output will switch off if you change mode, for safety reason, makes sense.
Do you say that you have to physically disconnect the battery before you can change the mode?
(a relay activated by another channel could cut the connection, if really needed, having a normal open connection is probably a safer setup)

edit: I see they propose to use two channels:
https://twitter.com/GWInstek/status/1337267377520562178
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:38:58 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf