Author Topic: Re-fan DS1054Z  (Read 1990 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re-fan DS1054Z
« on: January 17, 2020, 05:55:38 pm »
I want to re-fan my DS1054Z, as the stock fan is a little bit on the loud side. What kind of fan do you recommend? Get a Noctua? Or just take the fan out? Is it possible to retrofit some kind of temperature sensor and speed control in it?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Re-fan DS1054Z
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 06:04:56 pm »
Do not take it out, for sure. The scope does need cooling.

I used some random "silent" fan from Amazon. I looked in the order history and it was "Gelid Solutions Silent 5 Case Fan". There was no specific reason, I just went for reasonably cheap fan, and it works just fine. You can definitely hear it, but it is nothing like a stock fan.
Alex

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 06:33:08 pm »
I think the one to go for is the Gelid Silent 5.

http://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/case-fan-silent-5/

I swapped mine more than a year ago and I wish I'd done it on day one.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-fan-replacement-any-long-term-experiences/

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:35:21 pm »
I also installed a Gelid Silent 5 fan. Worth every penny!

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 06:31:41 am »
Do not take it out, for sure. The scope does need cooling.

I used some random "silent" fan from Amazon. I looked in the order history and it was "Gelid Solutions Silent 5 Case Fan". There was no specific reason, I just went for reasonably cheap fan, and it works just fine. You can definitely hear it, but it is nothing like a stock fan.
I am thinking about re-fanning it with something that has speed control, then put a temperature sensor in there somewhere to regulate the speed. This way the fan will stay as quiet as possible for the temperature to be held largely constant.

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 12:05:06 pm »
I gave my DS1054Z (DS1104Z) a temperature-controlled one a few weeks ago.
With adjustable minimum speed, beginning of the increase, steepness and adjustable maximum speed.

The last hardware versions got a higher quality fan from Rigol than early 1054Z.

In addition, the fan of the last board version is no longer controlled with full 12V but with 8.6V.
(This must be taken into account when planning the circuit).

In any case, although some quiet fans were already concerned, I could even use this original fan with the control again.

It is important to increase the efficiency of the air throughput despite the lower number of rotation that the fan pushes into the chassis, not sucked it out.
In order to then reduce the air volume and the air noise again in this installation position, it is very advantageous to remove the sheet metal cross.
A distance of approx. 4-5mm from the fan to the sheet increases the throughput again and further reduces the noise.

Then you can finally use an air filter (which is not possible or not useful with a suction fan).
The temperature measurement is then carried out at the outlet of the heated air on the opposite side.
This is the best way for the control to work.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 12:07:26 pm by klausES »
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Offline Qw3rtzuiop

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 12:31:06 pm »
I used a 60mm Fan with this adaptor:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3482901

Offline klausES

• Regular Contributor
  • restore Sony ES/Esprit era
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 04:32:26 pm »
It's good.
Every millimeter that you can remove the blades of an axial fan away from grille, struts is of the flow like the acoustics gold.

The installation with a gap applies (suction side only) brings a little more throughput. a venturi effect is created.
regards klaus. "Art is when you can't do it ... because if you can, it's not art"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf