Author Topic: RetroChip Tester Pro Thread  (Read 171 times)

Offline watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
RetroChip Tester Pro Thread
« on: May 11, 2024, 03:05:28 pm »
I came across this instrument by accident in one of the IC tester threads here.  A search on the forum found no thread dedicated to this device.

I ordered the boards (including device adapters which I probably did not need) from Germany.  I then ordered the parts from Digikey which was about $125 less than from the US partner.  Plus I ordered more of things (like resistors, transistors, diodes) than needed so I could select the best matches.  Not sure this is important, but it is my instrument, so....  No Ali parts.

I also ordered the board populated with the processor and programmed.  FWIW, I asked Stephan one question (about the optional power supply board) which he answered within a day.  This given he must get a lot of questions that are already covered in his excellent assembly, programming, and user documents.  He even includes interactive parts locators!

The firmware with library is updated on a regular basis.  Rather than take up space on processor, he maintains an interactive database that users can download to search for device analogs.

They are so good it fired up on my first power up.

The device is so flexible because Stephans has it programmed to test devices by position in the ZIF socket.  When a device is called up, a notation is included if its position needs to be changed.

This is a LOT of work.

There is a new firmware version since I ordered the boards in February.  I think this device will not be orphaned anytime soon. I just got an email for new firmware version!

This device seems well suited to the non-professional who, like me, has a stock of ICs from student kits or other sources where they may have been used.  A professional is just going to buy new.

Assembly was not difficult, it took me about 10 hours.  There is plenty of room and it is all through hole work.  It can be powered directly from a bench supply via terminals on the rear, by USB with 1 amp, or via a 9V barrel connector.  When I supplied with 9V, it used less than 200mA at idle.

Below are pics of it in the optional Lucite case (which makes sense after spending about $350 and time),  and test results for an IC.  In one of those tests, the IC was moved off position to show the info reported when a fail is reported.  The results displayed are explained in the manual.

2188807-0

2188813-1

2188819-2

2188825-3
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 05:17:39 pm by watchmaker »
Regards,

Dewey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf