Author Topic: Rigol 1054z plastic smell over time, other scopes from the same range?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline AxkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Rigol 1054z has this strong plastic smell to it.
I've been storing it in an airtight box to avoid the smell so 5 years later it's still there.
As a reference comparing it e.g. to 121GW if putting my nose right next to the case I do sense a smell but it doesn't fill the room like 1054z's smell does.
If I put it under a fan outside will the smell ever go away?

How does it compare to other scopes from this price range? Do they all have plastic smells?

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
The only reason I know why devices start to smell is because capacitors leak. And that stinks badly. Otherwise none of my devices smells, not even my Rigol. However, I also clean my devices from dust every few years. A lot can accumulate there.

The following users thanked this post: Axk

Offline capacitor_explosion

• Contributor
I have a siglent sds 1104X-E  ,and i must say very happy with the scope  function and buildwise, but its quite new , (less than a year old) . I yet to experience any weirdnest (smell , dakr/light/yello  plastic deformation etc. ) with it .
Goal : to not be a "bonobo"

Offline aneevuser

• Frequent Contributor
I have a 1054Z but it has no strong odour. I can smell the plastic if I put my nose about 1cm away though.

Perhaps they've changed the plastic since yours was manufactured?

Offline ender4171

• Contributor
I have a 1054z that I keep in an air-tight Pelican case (a knock-off, actually).  I don't notice any unusual odor at all.

Offline theor

Hello,

I've just received my 1054z and came here to say exactly the same: it has this strong, unpleasant chemical smell. I left it running for a day and it's still filling the room.

I don't think a capacitor is leaking, to me it's just a nauseating plastic smell. Hopefully it will go away...

Offline marcus h

• Contributor
I got my 1054Z last December and it, too, had this unpleasant smell. A true "stinker"!  :o

However, as my space is very limited I only have it on my desk when I actually need it so it mostly sits on a shelf.
After a few weeks sitting there in the open the smell was mostly gone. Now it's not noticeable any more.

I have experienced such behaviour with new electronics/devices several times in the past but never as bad as with the 1054Z -- except perhaps with the 16K RAM expansion module for my ZX81 back in 1982... ;)

Offline theor

After a few weeks sitting there in the open the smell was mostly gone. Now it's not noticeable any more.

I'm really glad to read that! Thank you for this input, I can deal with the fan noise but the harsh smell on top was a lot to put up with.

Offline AxkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I followed the advice to put it outside for a while for the smell to go away.
Looks like it is already much better, but I'll keep it there for some time, hopefully it all goes away.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
All plastics tend to outgas, which can be better or worse depending on the blends and agents used. Keeping it in an airtight box is likely to extend the issue. Outgassing is a real issue in the space industry, where sensors can get covered in a thin layer of outgassed material. Even having just a sticker on a board can be a disaster.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf