Author Topic: Rigol 858 resistance and diode measurement issues  (Read 356 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MortysTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: es
Rigol 858 resistance and diode measurement issues
« on: September 10, 2026, 03:24:06 pm »
Good afternoon. First, I apologize for my English; I am using a translator.
The problem is as follows: when I select 2-wire resistance measurement, it immediately shows 5k while open-circuit; if I touch the probes together, it drops to 0 ohms. In the video, you can hear the relays clicking upon startup, and then the resistance reading jumps between the terminals.
In diode mode, with the probes open, it shows a voltage of 1.175 V.
Has anyone else experienced this or can anyone help me? Rigol's service is terrible.






thank you

« Last Edit: September 10, 2026, 03:28:19 pm by Mortys »
 

Online Kleinstein

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 17242
  • Country: de
Re: Rigol 858 resistance and diode measurement issues
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2026, 05:03:59 pm »
Some 5 K when open circuit would suggest a defect with the meter. Open terminals should read as overload / open.
Only some 1.2 V as maximum voltage in diode mode is disappointing and could be related (e.g. same defect).
 

Offline Doctorandus_P

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 5355
  • Country: nl
Re: Rigol 858 resistance and diode measurement issues
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2026, 03:12:29 pm »
after watching 12 seconds of a 15s video of a scope booting I gave up.

I was interested in this rigol meter once, just because it does not have a 300mm deep case, so I looked into some more details. And overall it is just a horrible meter. somewhere on this forum there is a link to a playlist of 10 video's about various deficiencies of this multimeter.
 

Offline MortysTopic starter

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 16
  • Country: es
Re: Rigol 858 resistance and diode measurement issues
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2026, 07:09:44 pm »
It's true, it's garbage, and on top of that, I've already sent five emails to European technical support and they haven't even replied...
 

Offline J-R

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1774
  • Country: us
Re: Rigol 858 resistance and diode measurement issues
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2026, 08:49:25 pm »
The big display generates interest, but even in working condition it has major problems and shortcomings.  You should return it and consider something else.
 

Offline Salient666

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 232
  • Country: nl
  • Ohm Sweet Ohm
    • Wavetable.nl
Re: Rigol 858 resistance and diode measurement issues
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2026, 08:21:28 am »
after watching 12 seconds of a 15s video of a scope booting I gave up.

I was interested in this rigol meter once, just because it does not have a 300mm deep case, so I looked into some more details. And overall it is just a horrible meter. somewhere on this forum there is a link to a playlist of 10 video's about various deficiencies of this multimeter.
And even with the latest hardware revision not everything has been solved.
Buying 6-1/2 digit bench multimeters just to check if a regular nine-volt battery is still alive.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->