Author Topic: Rigol Rubbish DG800 - An expensive piece of Junk  (Read 3948 times)

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol Rubbish DG800 - An expensive piece of Junk
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2024, 07:21:33 am »
Sure. But keep in mind that typical modern generator has its waveform output connector internally grounded. That's not the case with the obsolete instrument.

My cheap FY3224S also came without grounding, with a two-core mains cable.
Is that the same?

Of course, I then pulled in a 3-core cable and connected PE to the BNC connectors (switchable).

Offline Njk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2024, 01:37:20 pm »
My cheap FY3224S also came without grounding, with a two-core mains cable.
Is that the same?

Of course, I then pulled in a 3-core cable and connected PE to the BNC connectors (switchable).
That does not count. I meant "grounded" is connected to the chassis, no matter if the chassis is grounded or not.

IMHO a 3-core electrical arrangement brings more harm to T&M equipment than good. It's not a CE equipment, it's for professional use and that's normal. It was a common practice (at least here) that every instrument has a 2-core mains connection and it's the user's responsibility to connect the chassis of every instrument on the bench with PE in single point, using a dedicated wire. To avoid ground loops. Electrical safety of 3-core arrangement seems more a marketing/legal point that makes the instrument fool-proof but frequently results in inconvenience for all the others.

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2024, 12:00:24 pm »
@Njk:
Thanks for the explanation. Interesting.
The FY3224S does not actually have a chassis in that sense.
The BNCs are soldered directly to the PCB and the housing is made of plastic.
I put in a three core wire because otherwise the BNC have 94VAC against earth, which made me a bit worried.
But as I said, I installed a switch so that it can be disconnected again.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf