Author Topic: Vevor SDS1104 for first oscilloscope?  (Read 792 times)

Offline help_me_pick_usernameTopic starter

• Contributor
Vevor SDS1104 for first oscilloscope?
« on: April 24, 2024, 02:28:41 am »
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a first oscilloscope. I found the Vevor SDS1104.

4 Channels, 100MHz 1GS/s at about $320, this seems like a decent deal? Obviously it seems to be a no-name brand, but spec wise, looks ok. I found this unboxing on YouTube (), and it looks ok at first glance.

There doesn't seem to be many proper reviews of this so wanted to know what you guys thought. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Purchase page: https://www.vevor.com.au/oscilloscopes-c_12405/vevor-digital-oscilloscope-1gs-s-sampling-rate-100mhz-bandwidth-portable-oscilloscope-with-4-channels-color-screen-30-automatic-measurement-functions-for-electronic-circuit-testing-diy-p_010228231720
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com.au/VEVOR-Oscilloscope-Bandwidth-Measurement-Electronic/dp/B0CP7Z1V56

Thanks

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Vevor SDS1104 for first oscilloscope?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 05:27:31 am »
It looks exactly like the Owon SDS1104.
Max Record Length: 20K is a bit low these days.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 05:29:03 am by Aldo22 »

Offline andrewtaylor

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 05:44:42 am »
well, if you need 4CH:  go for the Siglent SDS1104 -- best bang for the buck   :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 06:39:37 am »
well, if you need 4CH:  go for the Siglent SDS1104 -- best bang for the buck   :-DD
Was.

Now SDS804X HD is.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 08:43:18 am »

It does look exactly like the Owon model, probably rebadged.

How problematic is the max record length? I do plan on maybe using this to work on communication protocols like I2C, do you think this might be an issue?

I wasn't able to find many other competitive models in the 300-400 AUD price range. The other sigilent models being recommended here seem to be almost double the price of this.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 09:05:30 am »
if you want i2c mainly, then a small logic analyzer around $20-30, with sigrok free software, will give you better interface, more memory.
no need for a scope to mainly look at i2c. and you need memory to store all i2c sequences before analysing.

this vevor user interface seems so old ... pretty sure you can only see one i2c sequence on the screen...
the last rigol or siglent 12 bits scopes may be a little more expensive, but you can do so much more with them...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 09:08:44 am by kripton2035 »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 09:18:19 am »

How problematic is the max record length?

It is stay away from it problematic.
It is horrible deal.
For the specs that scope should cost 100-150 USD.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 09:28:46 am »
You get what you pay for and the 800X HD offers one hell of a lot, so much so it will take some time to outgrow it.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 09:51:11 am »
Was....Now SDS804X HD is.
I would normally agree but also anticipate some of the current Siglent SDS1104XE owners upgrading to the newer SDS800 series which should inturn increase the number of earlier scopes available in the second hand market.

If the price is right then a used SDS1104XE in good condition would still be worth serious consideration particularly for somebody on a budget. If the OP is not in a desperate rush for a scope then this would be my recommendation, cheaper than new and far superior to what they are currently considering.

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, tautech, newbrain

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 10:11:23 am »
I don't know if it's "problematic", some time ago even "good" brands had 2.5k, but there are better options today for little money.

Since I'm currently experimenting with something like this, I'll show you with my $130 Hantek.

In the first picture there is a 20KHz sine wave at 10us/div, with a 50ns pulse every second (1Hz).
If you trigger on the pulse, a thin line appears in the middle. But there is nothing else to say about how the pulse looks. (1st picture).

If you stop it there and zoom in it to 50ns by turning s/div, you will see a very rudimentary pulse with 4k (2nd image). It doesn't tell you much about the shape of the pulse.
But if you stop it with 8M (record length), you can see much better in the magnification what is going on with the pulse (3rd image).
The more record length, the more accurate the magnification. Just like the resolution of a digital photo.

That is one difference. The experts here can probably explain this better, as I am a beginner too.

Btw. This is for illustration purposes only and is not intended to be a recommendation for the Hantek. It does not have 4 channels.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 12:53:39 pm by Aldo22 »

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 11:33:22 am »

It is stay away from it problematic.
It is horrible deal.
For the specs that scope should cost 100-150 USD.

I keep seeing that for this price (~200 USD), you can get better scopes? Where can I find these? I'm in Australia, if that helps, and this is the best value scope I've been able to find so far with 4 channels?

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 01:02:43 pm »
I do plan on maybe using this to work on communication protocols like I2C, do you think this might be an issue?

This Vevor doesn't do protocol decoding, right?

Why do you even think you need four channels?
With a tight budget, there aren't many options.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 01:36:32 pm »

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 02:36:58 pm »
So my reason for wanting to work with I2C is for a single project, I don't need a protocol analyser on the scope, just want to be able to see the waveforms.

I'm well aware that logic analysers exist (and are much cheaper), but I'm looking for a scope because I want to buy a scope, not just for I2C, that's just a single project that I'm doing right now which is just my incentive for finally investing in a scope.

I would like 4 channels because I don't want to be in a situation where I want to probe more than 2 waveforms at once. I don't immediately need 4 channels for anything specific I have in mind, just think it would be good to have.

Online awakephd

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 03:06:46 pm »
I would normally agree but also anticipate some of the current Siglent SDS1104XE owners upgrading to the newer SDS800 series which should inturn increase the number of earlier scopes available in the second hand market.

If the price is right then a used SDS1104XE in good condition would still be worth serious consideration particularly for somebody on a budget. If the OP is not in a desperate rush for a scope then this would be my recommendation, cheaper than new and far superior to what they are currently considering.

I don't know what the market looks like in Australia, but I have been watching various sites here in the US in hopes of finding a deal on a used Siglent SDS1104XE or Rigol1054DZ. So far, the only things I'm finding are people offering them, used, for prices HIGHER than what I can get them brand new from Amazon. :(

Online Phil1977

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2024, 03:10:54 pm »
If I´d buy my first personal scope today I´d also either take one of the current 12-Bit-models for little over €500 or e.g. an used Rigol 1054 instead of the Vevor.

The Rigol 1054 is anything but new nowadays, but anyhow it´s quite a solid instrument with *lots* of tutorials and experiences available in the internet. It has its flaws but for 99% of hobby scope applications its just good.

I do not know the Vevor personally, but so far all instruments I have seen of this price class had some serious drawbacks like low update rate, only few waveforms/s, no High-Res- or Peak2peak-mode, no good measurement implementation etc. Please correct me if my knowledge is outdated, but so far I didn't find these features for < €350 new. And from my point of view it´s one main reason to personally own a scope to learn using these features.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 03:13:43 pm by Phil1977 »

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2024, 03:17:58 pm »
I keep seeing that for this price (~200 USD), you can get better scopes?

Well, in a nutshell, afaics for max. $200 there is really only the Vevor/Owon/Hanmatek and the Hantek DSO2C10 (benchtop scopes).
If you absolutely want 4 channels, the Vevor etc. is the only one.
The Hantek is better in most other specs and features. Not flawless, but better.

Personally, I see 4 channels as a luxury and wouldn't place much value on it on a small budget.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 03:22:50 pm by Aldo22 »

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2024, 04:19:26 pm »
looking at SPI signals needs 4 channels... (in fact more than 2)

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2024, 05:28:14 pm »
I have the Hanmatek label 2 & 4 channel versions.  The best way to describe them is Tek 465 with some extra features such as stored waveform.  The FFT is great, but the labels are wrong.

The PCB shows it's an Owon SDS1104.  I plan to power mine with a LiPo pack.

They are no BS 140 MHz BW scopes which is an amazing.  The limited memory makes them a bit dubious for digital work, but for analog applications they're quite good.

I'm old enough to remember when all the computer techs carried 465s.  There were always 2 or 3 in the hall at the window where I dropped off punch card decks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf