Author Topic: Rohde & Schwarz FSEA 30  (Read 50448 times)

Offline Tracker

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rohde & Schwarz FSEA 30
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2021, 08:40:36 pm »
Hi Folks,
I have a FSEA 30 which was working fine up until the other day, I had it stored away for about 9 months and took it out for a show off... but...

It powered up ok and the display 'seemed' to show the boot screen but it was very gray and dull, over the next 60 seconds it gradually got dimmer and dimmer until it was completely blank.

The trigger seems to be sweeping and the other functions appear to respond to input.

I checked the CFL and it's bright as ever, and the screen still radiates light, but all the pixels are dark if you know what I mean  :P

As a basic check I re-seated the Processor and Graphics cards, re-seated ribbons, checked CFL voltage etc, but no change.

I don't believe there is a service manual available .. at least nothing showed up on the internet.

Any suggestions on how to prove out the LCD ???

Open to all and any suggestions at this stage.

Thanks folks,

Tracker 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:56:18 pm by Tracker »

Online YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2021, 09:22:36 pm »
http://ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=Rohde_Schwarz/Rohde_Schwarz_FSEAB_2030_Service_Manual.zip

Should be close enough. What you describe sounds like the internal supply of the lcd failing.

The following users thanked this post: N_basil

Offline Tracker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2021, 10:05:38 pm »
Thanks for the link.

I will take a closer look the LCD unit tomorrow, there are two PCB's inside under the case which probably do some form of regulation, hopefully it wont be too hard to resolve.

Watching it fail in front of me was weird, I felt a cold chill as it went dark and I just knew it was permanent.  :palm:

Cheers
Tracker

Offline N_basil

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2021, 02:02:05 pm »
I hope you watched it:

Offline Tracker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2021, 09:31:30 pm »
Yes thanks, watched and learned!

Offline smps

« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2024, 03:17:05 am »
do you have hdd image of 3.2  and 2.1 for FSEB? The hdd of my FSEB is dead, need an image to restore. thanks

Update. So I think I've got it figured out. The service manual is a bit confusing as it only references the older 486 style processor w/computer function which requires a graphics card. Newer Pentium processors with the attached daughter board do not. Turns out the processor board I bought with B15 was dead. When I added the daughter board to my non-B15 Pentium processor, and swapped hard drives and it works. Now I need to figure out how to swap cal data and serial number.

BTW, let me know if anyone needs a image. Firmware 4.0 w/MSNT seems impossible to find. I also have images of 3.2 and 2.1. 

Thanks for the help all.
Sbvr4

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2024, 07:07:56 pm »
I just received a FSEA 30 yesterday and expect to receive a FSEB 20 later next week.  Both systems have problems, which is why I got them for a very good price.  The FSEA 30 does not turn on.  The standby light is on but turns off when pushing the power button. I have had other R&S equipment not work due to a bad power switch. I will test this switch as soon as I can get my bench setup.  Is there anything else I should look for before I remove and start working on the power supply?

The FSEB 20 does not fully boot. It shows the system going through the startup but then stops. I was told the hard drive is bad. I will see once it arrives. It has Bios 3.3.  Is there a copy of the drive software for me to use if the drive is bad? 

Thanks for the info on this site. I can see how much of a pain it will be taking apart both units and working on them. 

Dwight

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2024, 06:39:07 am »
I need some info on the power switch of my FSEA 30.  The switch has been removed and another switch has been wired to the device. I am not sure that the new switch is wired up correctly. Does anyone have a diagram of where the switch is connected to on the circuit board and the function of the switch?  The standby light is on when the power is off, which is a good thing. However pushing the power switch causes the standby light to go off but nothing happens, the SA does not turn on.  I have had experience with a R&S function generator that  had a bad switch which I repaired without removing it from the circuit. This switch could be wired up incorrectly and causing a working SA to not start.

So, anyone with a diagram of the power switch setup? I have the service manual, but it does not show any schematics.

Thanks

Dwight

Online YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2024, 02:54:40 pm »
you can find old version of service manual online, search for:
Rohde_Schwarz_FSEAB_2030_Service_Manual.zip
FSEA20_FSEA30_FSEB20_FSEB30-Service_Manual.pdf

and

R+S FSEA 20 serv.pdf

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2024, 06:19:59 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I have all of the service manuals, they don't provide schematics for the SA.  They only show block diagrams of the circuits, which does not give me the switch wiring diagram.  I have three wires on the switch but the block diagram only shows one.
I haven't put the unit on the bench yet so no rush.  My guess is the power supply is not fully functional, since the "power supply good" light on the back is not lit, even though I have the standby light on.

Dwight

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2024, 01:12:57 am »
Ok, The FSEB 20 has arrived.  Turning it on only get to the booting screen.  From reading the posts here, I need to replace the hard drive with a CompactFlash drive.  Software to backup the bad drive would be ddrescue.   

If my drive is toast, does anyone have a copy of the software that I could restore to a new drive?

Thanks
Dwight

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2024, 07:29:05 am »
Ok, I started working on the FSEA 30 today. It is only showing the standby LED which goes off when pushing the power button.  I removed the power supply and noticed that there were only two black wires going from the power supply to the motherboard. The thin gray ribbon cable was not there.  I thought it was strange and verified that there should be a thin ribbon cable, which has the on/off switch circuit.  Opened up the power supply and inside, was the missing ribbon cable. Now, what is the previous tech telling me? Does he not want the power supply running or does he want to keep the SA from running for some reason?  There is no note with the hidden ribbon cable.  My guess there is a problem with the power supply, why else would you open one up.  Could be he never had a chance to fix what ever is wrong and hid the switch cable until time for him to finish the work on it? Your guess is as good as mine. 

I will have to look for any obvious issues with the power supply. With the Standby voltage working, 12 volts, that makes one less circuit to work on.

Dwight

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2024, 01:02:40 am »
While I wait for parts and a break in my work schedule, I took a look at the motherboard.  I did not see any issues. I measured the battery and it was flat, so I will replace it with a new one this coming weekend I hope.

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2024, 05:14:53 am »
Tonight I was able to do a little test of the power supply. I made all of the suggested resistor connections to the digital and analog supply connectors.

When I plugged in the power cable, the standby 12 volts was there. When I switched the power supply on, I was able to get all of the voltages for the big 3x3 block plug of the digital power supply. (5.2 and 12 volts) Good.

My next move is to measure the analog supply. The Supply check light did not turn on, so the prior tech hid the power switch ribbon cable because there was a problem with the supply. 

Dwight

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2024, 05:38:24 am »
Ok, I did not want to go to bed without knowing.  :=\   So I checked the Analog supply and found some issues with the voltages.

Pins 1 and 2 were fine at 5.5 volts

Pins 5 and 6 were not at 15 volts, varied down to 12 volts and up to 14 volts.

Pin 8 was at 15 volts and not at -15 volts where it should be.

Pin 10 was at 28 volts where it should be. 

So I need to check the 15 volt section to see what is not working correctly. If anyone has any suggestions, please pass them on to me.

Thanks

Dwight

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2024, 11:25:22 pm »
I think I have someone looking over me.  I examined visually the power supply innards and did not see anything burnt or broken. So I put it back together and powered it up one more time. IT Started up without any problems. Green power supply light was on and the fans were running. My guess there was a loose connection in the supply that I wiggled and got it working again.  So I am happy I did not have to troubleshoot the supply.  I know as soon as I said this it will not run again. 

I connected the supply to the SA and hit the makeshift power button.  Nothing happened.  I removed the ribbon cable and did the jumper to start it and the SA started up, indicator lights came on.
So, I will have to determine the correct way for the power switch to be connected.  The last tech removed the switch and connected three wires going to a switch.  Three wires.  Not sure where they really need to be connected on the switch.

Next problem.  The floppy drive did a seek so something is working.  I did not see any lights on the display which I will need to look at. I wish I had a diagram to know where the power was coming from for the display.

So, so one big step forward with the power supply so I am not complaining about the display, yet.

Dwight

Offline KeBeNe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2024, 04:01:56 am »

If my drive is toast, does anyone have a copy of the software that I could restore to a new drive?

Thanks
Dwight
(Attachment Link)

Hey,

Windows NT4 runs normally on the FSEB.
I have made an image of my FSIQ7 and also converted it to CF.
The FSIQ7 is an FSEB30 with PC and B7 option, you can change the type of analyzer with a service command.

So if you need an image, I can give you mine.

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2024, 04:22:57 am »
Thanks a lot.  I will take you up on that. Or can it possibly be put in the files section so others can use it?

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2024, 04:35:21 am »
Another step forward today.  I figured out the issue with the power switch. The previous tech had tried to wire in a switch for the missing one but got lost with the wires. I spend about a half an hour to get the wires onto a new switch, the one he used was shorted. I was able to turn on the SA at will now.  Still no display but the fans are running and the floppy drive is being searched.

I took a look at the CCFL 12 volt supply and it is working. Tomorrow I will check the inverter itself to see if it is producing the required voltage.  There are many options, replace the whole setup with LCDs or buy a new inverter and bulbs.  Will see tomorrow.

Offline KeBeNe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2024, 06:45:07 am »
the LCD's are no longer available new, what you find on ebay are refurbished ones of poor quality.
Convert the LCD to LED, which is also better for the future.
Look for 8.66 inch (220mm) LED kit, it fits very well.

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2024, 11:06:34 pm »
Update for today.  I tested the CCFL hv power supply and it seems to be working.  I was getting sparks when I got near the output wires with my probes.  My Meter only registered 156 volts though.  Should be in the range of 600 volts.  Does not matter.  I took a look at the CCFL and determined that it was broken, thus the reason why the screen was black.  Time for a backlight change. 

I decided to get two LED backlights strip kits and supply for only $12. I will just replace the CCFL with the LED strip and go from there. Too bad nothing is sold here in the states. I will have to wait for the shipment from China.

The SA is still powering on, so that is a good thing. 

Dwighrt

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2024, 04:59:24 pm »
While I am waiting for the parts to arrive, the FSEA 30 that I am working on is missing the power switch that the previous owner had removed trying to fix a problem. I have gotten the SA to work and need to find a new power switch to fill in the hole where the original button was. I am asking anyone that has parted out a SA that has a power switch sitting around looking for a new home.  I have had no luck on eBay, unless I want to buy a whole pallet of broken equipment for one switch or spend $700 for a face plate.
If not available, has anyone used a non OEM switch in the square space instead?

Thanks for checking.

Dwight

Offline KeBeNe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2024, 07:29:50 pm »
maybe the switches from the CMD could work?

Offline dwight_talley

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2024, 02:05:13 am »
I took a look for CMD and all the ones I found were working and in the $400 price range. So no, not going to tear apart a perfectly working item just for a switch. I never got a look at the switch on those anyway. I expect the switch to be different.

Offline Harry_22

• Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2024, 04:14:27 pm »
Hello!
Just in case, information on how to enter the BIOS:

Connect external monitor to "PC MONITOR" and AT keyboard
2084267-0
Push and hold "BACK" button
2084243-1
Switch on the device
2084249-2