Author Topic: R&S MXO3/04/05 - Reviews, Bugs & Wanted Features/Improvements Thread  (Read 27130 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Hi at all,

Another quick review thread...
Due to the limited time I have for testing.
In this case, it will be just under 4 weeks.
Thanks to Batronix, I have the opportunity to test the latest oscilloscope from R&S’s MXO series, the MXO3.
It is the smallest model in the MXO series, but still offers up to 8 channels.
The demo unit arrived yesterday, and as it is a demo unit, there is a corresponding R&S sticker on the housing.
This has one advantage: all options are available, including the maximum bandwidth of 1 GHz.
Despite the 8 channels, it is rather small and handy.
Compared to the larger MXO4 and MXO5 series, for example, the reference input and output are missing, and the screen is smaller, though it also features Full HD resolution.
I hope to take a few pictures of the device tomorrow, time permitting,
and, of course, turn it on and measure the boot time.
Due to the relatively short testing period, the program will be streamlined accordingly and focus on the “standard” testing procedures.
Feel free to suggest what else you'd like to see.
More coming soon—stay tuned. ;)

Martin
« Last Edit: April 19, 2026, 10:11:33 am by Martin72 »
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, edavid, tooki, gamalot, pdenisowski, KungFuJosh, Bernd_2

Offline KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8283
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2026, 12:08:53 am »
You know what comparison I want to see. ;)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 
The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Rydda

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 34
  • Country: se
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2026, 12:57:32 am »
Hi.
IF you have firmware version 2.7.2 and IF you do an update to 2.8.2 I would be interested to know if you notice an improved UI response.
/Rydda
 
The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline egonotto

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1351
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2026, 06:11:36 am »
Hello,

I’d be interested in the noise performance.
Specifically, 1 mV/div and 1 V/div with 1 ms/div and enough memory to reach the maximum sampling rate of 5 GSa/s. Preferably with a “short-circuited (50-ohm termination)” input.

The zone trigger is also very interesting, because it is extremely powerful on the MXO devices.

Thank you.

Best regards,
egonotto
 
The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2026, 09:46:38 pm »
Hi,

Today I was able to take a few more pictures and turn the device on for the first time.
The build quality is very good—or rather, it’s appropriate for this price range; only the Magnova, with its all-metal housing, can top it.
I really like the layout of the front controls, as well as the design of the individual elements.
Sober and unpretentious....Good.
As I said, despite having 8 channels and a fairly large screen, it’s turned out to be quite compact, as you can see when comparing it to the Magnova, for example, which is also a very compact scope.


There’s a power switch at the back near the power connector—you don’t see those very often these days (the Magnova also has a power switch).
Then I turned on the Scope—you can barely hear anything; the fan is really quiet.
But that’s no surprise—it’s a massive 160mm fan from Noiseblocker.
Boot time is 1 minute and 16 seconds, which isn’t exactly fast, but it’s not super slow either—it’s fine.

Once the scope had finished booting up, the first thing I did was turn down the brightness of the buttons—at “100%,” they can practically burn your retinas, to put it bluntly... ;)
What I see on the home screen is, at first glance, a neat menu bar that runs along the top and bottom of the screen.
I immediately noticed one great feature, and then another shortly after.
“Undo”....It sounds simple, but it's fantastic, and I think every scope should have this feature (....Insert brand here....) :-+

Then my eye fell on the “Annotation” menu...
Nothing new for R&S Scope owners, but for me it's a brilliant tool for quickly marking something on the screen, e.g., for presentation purposes.
Great!

Tomorrow I plan to work my way through the menus to see what’s available and try out a few basics.
My first impression is definitely positive.



 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski, KungFuJosh, Bernd_2

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2026, 09:52:06 pm »
Rest of the pics...


Hi.
IF you have firmware version 2.7.2 and IF you do an update to 2.8.2 I would be interested to know if you notice an improved UI response.
/Rydda

I need to check first whether I'm allowed to make any changes to this device.
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline MASCH

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 18
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2026, 09:17:07 am »
Hi,

I am currently also evaluating a demo unit of the MXO3.

Something that I find really annoying is that the user interface becomes very sluggish fast.

Even when just running with one trace displayed, it sometimes just doesn't react to changing the volts per div or time per div settings, completely ignoring the knobs.
How can a scope in this class be so slow in response?

Also when when doing a little more processing, the mouse pointer (using wireless mouse) becomes sooo laggy..... :-\

Did you experience the same issue?

BR
Markus
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tooki

Offline Rydda

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 34
  • Country: se
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2026, 01:37:23 pm »
Hi.
@Martin and Markus.
To give some context to my comment on the UI response: my impression the first time I powered up my scope was ' god, that is slow'. When I dragged a menu across the screen, the menu slowly followed the cursor after a noticeable delay. And sometime I had to click a button twice before it reacted.
Since most complaints are first met with 'do you have the latest firmware?' I upgraded from 2.7.2 to 2.8.2, and all these problems disappeared.
I have no explanation for this. I don't know if this was something else entirely. There is nothing in the upgrade description that could explain it. And I did not feel like downgrading to explore further.

Anyway, my scope now works perfectly. I think the UI is brilliant, and works just like I expect it to. I really like it. Maybe the designers were KDE-plasma users?.
I found one small bug: after power-up, the 'backlight-level' does not restore to the value selected in the menu.     

/Rydda
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2026, 02:34:10 pm »
Hi,

I haven't noticed anything like that yet—the delay when moving a menu window.
And I do this without a mouse and with a screen protector on the display.

Quote
There is nothing in the upgrade description that could explain it.

This is either not mentioned at all or falls under the category of “minor improvements”.... ;)
Especially not if it doesn't happen with every model, but maybe with a specific production run.
As I said, I haven't seen it here yet—but it could still happen; I'm only just getting started.
There’s a slight delay when you open a menu, but I think that’s normal.
I need to check if I’m allowed to update the firmware on a demo model—and then I’ll have to get it first...It looks like you have to register with R&S to do that. :-\
Here’s a picture of the Bodnar pulse; nothing exciting to see, and the rise time looks reasonable.
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2026, 07:01:18 pm »
Hello,

I’d be interested in the noise performance.
Specifically, 1 mV/div and 1 V/div with 1 ms/div and enough memory to reach the maximum sampling rate of 5 GSa/s. Preferably with a “short-circuited (50-ohm termination)” input.

Hi,

Done, with shielded 50R input....
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski, CRTbrain

Offline KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8283
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2026, 07:37:30 pm »
Hello,

I’d be interested in the noise performance.
Specifically, 1 mV/div and 1 V/div with 1 ms/div and enough memory to reach the maximum sampling rate of 5 GSa/s. Preferably with a “short-circuited (50-ohm termination)” input.

Hi,

Done, with shielded 50R input....

How does it look with the 20MHz filter applied to the channel?
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, TUMEMBER

Offline Bud

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 7929
  • Country: ca
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2026, 07:48:45 pm »
Wow, screen reflection is atrocious in the original post's photo. How dows it look under the same angle with the scope turned on?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.
 

Online mkissin

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 129
  • Country: nz
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2026, 07:55:27 pm »
Wow, screen reflection is atrocious in the original post's photo. How dows it look under the same angle with the scope turned on?
It still has the screen protection film applied.
 

Offline 2N3055

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8749
  • Country: hr
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2026, 07:57:45 pm »
For comparison, with equivalent settings (1ms/div, 40MPts, 4GS/s, 50Ω no termination on input only shielding cap) SDS3104xHD noise:
1GHz BW:
At 1V/div -> 5,4 mV RMS
1mV/div ->   121 µV RMS
20MHz BW
At 1V/div -> 4,9 mV RMS
1mV/div ->   34 µV RMS
"Just hard work is not enough - it must be applied sensibly."
Dr. Richard W. Hamming
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, TUMEMBER, KungFuJosh

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2026, 08:34:04 pm »
How does it look with the 20MHz filter applied to the channel?

Not bad...
I still had the Scope connected, so I was able to take these measurements again.
Good:
You can select more than the usual two bandwidths.
Since it’s been running for a few hours, I quickly grabbed my Flir and pointed it at the Scope.
Even after all that time, you can’t hear a fan; the case has naturally gotten warmer, but the hotspot at the inputs is only 47°C—nothing to worry about.
@2N3055:
I'm in the middle of it too... ;)
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, TUMEMBER, KungFuJosh, Bernd_2

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2026, 09:52:45 pm »
I just took another look in the box to see what else was in there.... :-X ;)

In addition to the protective cover for the front, there’s a pouch containing BNC cables and 8 probes—nice.
However, I find the build quality of these probes to be rather poor, especially the accessories, which are rather flimsy.
So there’s room for improvement, as Magnova demonstrates with its high-quality probes from Testec.
I kept looking in the box, but couldn't find anything:
The probes for the digital input aren't included—that's disappointing for an official demo unit, especially since this option is enabled....Too bad.
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline KungFuJosh

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8283
  • Country: us
  • TEAS is real.
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2026, 10:25:35 pm »
I find the build quality of these probes to be rather poor, especially the accessories, which are rather flimsy.

Those probes are only about $112 USD each, so you shouldn't expect too much from them. ;)
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
Best Continuity Tester Ever
 
The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline egonotto

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1351
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2026, 10:40:33 pm »
Hi,

thanks.

R&S seems to be a bit stingy with accessories. My RTA4000 didn’t even come with BNC adapters. However, it did include RT-ZP10 probes, which are supposed to be pretty good.
The digital probes only came with 16 clips. (Siglent and Rigol include 20) I guess you’re not supposed to connect the ground with clips?

Best regards,
egonotto
 
 
The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline egonotto

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1351
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2026, 10:58:53 pm »
Hello,

Two R&S® MXO34-1PK (100 MHz) units, priced at €6,366.50 each, are cheaper than a single R&S® MXO38-1PK (also 100 MHz), which costs €14,875.

Best regards,
egonotto
 
 
The following users thanked this post: TUMEMBER

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2026, 11:38:00 pm »
Yes, the pricing is a bit steep; Siglent's 5000X HD is a bit more reasonable.
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline MASCH

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 18
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2026, 03:18:22 pm »
According the laggy user interface:

Today I applied the latest firmware update V2.8.2.0

--> there's no improvement in the instruments response to the front knobs :palm:

--> sometimes it is missing roughly 5 encoder steps until there's a response in the vertical volts/division

Anyone can confirm this?

Is the MXO4 as bad or does it have a faster application processor?

BR
Markus
 

Offline Martin72Topic starter

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8893
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2026, 06:06:05 pm »
Hi,



I don't see any major delays there.
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, jjoonathan, pdenisowski

Offline Rydda

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 34
  • Country: se
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2026, 12:54:11 am »
Hi.
@Markus:
 When I change the V/div setting, the display is redrawn immediately. There is no noticeable delay or missing encoder steps.
(This is  with 2 channels and the spectrum analyzer running.)

/Rydda
 
The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline MASCH

  • Contributor
  • Posts: 18
  • Country: de
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2026, 04:30:21 pm »
I just took a video of what I experience with the unit.



« Last Edit: March 24, 2026, 04:42:23 pm by MASCH »
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto, jjoonathan

Offline Daniel Bogdanoff

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 800
  • Country: us
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
Re: R&S MXO3 - A short Review
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2026, 05:06:00 pm »
I've been testing the 2.8.2 beta and release for a couple weeks, it definitely improves the GUI responsiveness (specifically it handles the encoders with a bit more nuance).

I hadn't noticed that the knob detents/clicks don't always match up to the FW changes on this release, but if I do slow 1-at-time knob clicks I do sometimes not get a matching change on the screen. I'll bring this up with the team, and I'm not sure if it's due to that new encoder reading scheme or not. I highly suspect it's something that a future FW update could address.

I have been super impressed with how much new functionality/enhancement comes out with each release as well as how many of those enhancements are free (not paid options).

@MASCH the MXO4 and MXO5 do have a more powerful processor, so if there's a level of lag that you are unhappy with I'd definitely look into getting your hands on a 4 or 5.
Test and Measurement!
 
The following users thanked this post: egonotto


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->