Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 376274 times)

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #1225 on: November 27, 2023, 08:28:43 pm »
Did anybody tried to connect the output of two similar units (rd600xx, rk6006) in series to create a simetrical power supply output? both units should use different input power source.

For safety use two diodes for protection when one of the supplys stops working or settings are not correct.
Diodes have to be able to transfer the max current.

The idea was to use the center point also, for eg. +12v 0v -12v not just series. My use for these is to connect opamps and test some boards that demand a simetrical PS. BTW according to Ruideng the developer of these modules, it is forbidden to connect them in series and also in parallel they will burn. I think I will continue to use my homemade analog PS for this. Dc-Dc converters have issues when connected in series or parallel even with prottection diodes, I've blown some cheap dc-dc buck converters trying this, they look ok but at some point they fail. I wasn't able to do it successfully and I tried several different solutions I've found on schematics foruns and so on.

For series or parallel connection it is  necessary that the units have galvanic isolation.
When you load them with SMPS power units, that mostly is not garanteed.
Also minus may not be earthed.
Had two former DPS units, DPS5015, in series and works perfect. They had both their own transformer, diodebridge and smoothing capacitor.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1226 on: November 27, 2023, 10:32:01 pm »
Did anybody tried to connect the output of two similar units (rd600xx, rk6006) in series to create a simetrical power supply output? both units should use different input power source.

For safety use two diodes for protection when one of the supplys stops working or settings are not correct.

The idea was to use the center point also, for eg. +12v 0v -12v not just series. My use for these is to connect opamps and test some boards that demand a simetrical PS. BTW according to Ruideng the developer of these modules, it is forbidden to connect them in series and also in parallel they will burn. I think I will continue to use my homemade analog PS for this. Dc-Dc converters have issues when connected in series or parallel even with prottection diodes, I've blown some cheap dc-dc buck converters trying this, they look ok but at some point they fail. I wasn't able to do it successfully and I tried several different solutions I've found on schematics foruns and so on.

For series or parallel connection it is  necessary that the units have galvanic isolation.
When you load them with SMPS power units, that mostly is not garanteed.
Also minus may not be earthed.
Had two former DPS units, DPS5015, in series and works perfect. They had both their own transformer, diodebridge and smoothing capacitor.

I don't use SMPS with Ruideng modules, I use only lithium battery packs as input power source.  I've asked RD what would happen if I connect 2 RK6006 in series with independent input power source so that I can create a simetrical PS, and their answer was that I can't, they become unstable and will burn. But anyway I order 2 units for testing but shipping is delayed so maybe next year I'm able to try it  :palm:

Offline Selin

« Reply #1227 on: November 27, 2023, 11:09:56 pm »
In any case - follow the generic recommendation for connecting PSU in series - use diodes to prevent external reverse voltage on PSU output.
Take your 'dual polarity ground' from the middle point (i.e. between diodes).
Also, I'd add an external 3-pole switch to on/off the power supply simultaneously - for positive and negative polarity.

P.S.
BTW - MeanWell allows serial connection to get dual-polarity PSU - see the Q40 here: https://www.meanwell.com/qa.aspx
But anyway - I'd put protection diodes - just to protect the PSUs.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 12:25:36 am by Selin »

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1228 on: November 28, 2023, 05:37:39 am »
In any case - follow the generic recommendation for connecting PSU in series - use diodes to prevent external reverse voltage on PSU output.
Take your 'dual polarity ground' from the middle point (i.e. between diodes).
Also, I'd add an external 3-pole switch to on/off the power supply simultaneously - for positive and negative polarity.

P.S.
BTW - MeanWell allows serial connection to get dual-polarity PSU - see the Q40 here: https://www.meanwell.com/qa.aspx
But anyway - I'd put protection diodes - just to protect the PSUs.

Thank you my friend, I will try your approach.  :-+

Online bffargo

• Contributor
« Reply #1229 on: December 28, 2023, 02:24:29 am »
Hi. I am having a problem with 60062_V1.41.1k --

I have previously flashed a number (3 or 4 versions) of the custom firmwares with no problem. I tried this one and after flashing, it re-boots to a white screen. Powering off and back on (hard power off) will never get past white screen. Only re-applying hard power while holding the power button in will force it to boot into 1.41.1K correctly -- most of the time.

Steps to diagnose:
- Initial 1.41.1K flash [white screen on power up but correct version verified after holding down power button when applying input power]
- Re-Flashed to 1.41 official - Boots fine, this now wiped out custom settings so now showing Riden boot logo, everything functions
- Re-flashed 1.38.1H - Boots fine, still with wiped out custom settings but working fine
- Re-flashed again to 1.41.1K [still reboots to white screen with power applied unless holding power button in to bypass]
- Re-flashed again to 1.38.1H - Works fine, reconfigured all settings saved, working like it has for over a year.

Note! -- I went back and rebooted holding down 0 while hard powering on to see if that would help, it did not. [It will boot that time after holding 0 but will then not boot again after that without pressing 0]

What is up with 1.41.1K on a RD6006? Serial number: 000304xx Any other trouble shooting suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 02:29:41 am by bffargo »

Offline aleksei2010

• /.s/a/22/2-6.png
« Reply #1230 on: December 28, 2023, 05:58:49 pm »
I want to put an additional output choke in the RD6018 like the RD6024 instead of one of the capacitors. Please tell me where it is installed in the RD6024.

Offline Mindstorm88

• Contributor
« Reply #1231 on: January 08, 2024, 01:25:42 pm »
Hi. I am having a problem with 60062_V1.41.1k --

I have previously flashed a number (3 or 4 versions) of the custom firmwares with no problem. I tried this one and after flashing, it re-boots to a white screen. Powering off and back on (hard power off) will never get past white screen. Only re-applying hard power while holding the power button in will force it to boot into 1.41.1K correctly -- most of the time.

Steps to diagnose:
- Initial 1.41.1K flash [white screen on power up but correct version verified after holding down power button when applying input power]
- Re-Flashed to 1.41 official - Boots fine, this now wiped out custom settings so now showing Riden boot logo, everything functions
- Re-flashed 1.38.1H - Boots fine, still with wiped out custom settings but working fine
- Re-flashed again to 1.41.1K [still reboots to white screen with power applied unless holding power button in to bypass]
- Re-flashed again to 1.38.1H - Works fine, reconfigured all settings saved, working like it has for over a year.

Note! -- I went back and rebooted holding down 0 while hard powering on to see if that would help, it did not. [It will boot that time after holding 0 but will then not boot again after that without pressing 0]

What is up with 1.41.1K on a RD6006? Serial number: 000304xx Any other trouble shooting suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

i did post for the same problem in october "Reply #1213 on: October 05, 2023, 11:56:05 pm"

never had any reply !!

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1232 on: January 08, 2024, 06:26:05 pm »
i did post for the same problem in october "Reply #1213 on: October 05, 2023, 11:56:05 pm"
never had any reply !!
I was busy.
I know about this problem.
This is due to the newer version of the bootloader (some conflict).
I have no new versions of the bootloader, therefore I can not reproduce this problem.
Therefore, I can only guess about the reasons.

to all:
I have already prepared a small update and I need beta testers encountered with this problem and ready to test the new version before its release.
Also let me know if anyone has any ideas.

The following users thanked this post: Mindstorm88, Pukker, fredo_

Offline fredo_

• Contributor
« Reply #1233 on: January 08, 2024, 10:27:16 pm »
I reported the same problem back in July too : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply/msg4969875/#msg4969875
Available to beta-test your fix UniSoft !

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1234 on: January 09, 2024, 05:04:16 am »
@unisoft ,
Do we know the versions of the bootloader that causes this issue ? i can provide Dumping Firmware for anyone that has this new Bootloader , it's just patched official firmware that dumps the entire flash to serial UART0

I can also beta test(but not had issue, will be tester for new bootloader if we can dump it)  as my riden is still hooked up to my stlink and my bootloader is patched to not lockout SWD but otherwise is factory so i can even dump ram values etc, I have my own bootloader too that is fully compatible with most and somewhere I also wrote debug firmware to give feedback on the lcd (it goes through various LCD types INIT routines , works so long as GPIO used does not change)

As for the white screen my first idea is the bootloader leaves the screen/gpio in a mode that your firmware does not undo , Am looking at the older bootloader and it does look at power button and if held it skips other checks and jumps to Entry vector of new code. maybe in a debug version you could add a check to "skip" lcd init(button one for GPIO, button two for just LCD init routine, both for both)  and assume the bootloader did it , i know in the first bootloader i got my hands on it did not do lcd init if the crc of the end of flash was correct , it would only do that if you held the bootloader key on power up or the MAGIC value was in ram. Later version would setup lcd to a black screen regardless of bootkey or MAGIC value.

I will see if i can find the later bootrom , it was not from any of my devices but another user who had issues getting it to accept any update but one, so i patched that for the dumping procedure and we managed to sort it by clearing some values at the end of the flash.

darkspr1te

« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 05:06:21 am by darkspr1te »

Offline M_VdM

Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply --> now with SCPI-support
« Reply #1235 on: January 22, 2024, 11:27:03 am »
Hi All,

WOW ... Hallelujah.
Have you seen this post/news:

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Recently I have been working on an alternative firmware for the WiFi module that can be plugged in to Riden's RDxxxx power supplies. Using this software the power supply can be controlled over Modbus TCP as well as SCPI.

I have released the source code and compiled firmware as well as installation instructions on GitHub: https://github.com/morgendagen/riden-dongle

Hopefully this is useful to somebody out there. Should you decide to give it a spin, then please let me know of any issues or feature requests by adding a GitHub issue.

Regards,

Peder

Offline LinuxHata

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1236 on: February 15, 2024, 04:30:39 pm »
Is there a way to make these remember settings on power off?
I mean, say I have set voltage to 5V and current to 1A.
Turned power supply off.
Now when I turn it back on, output voltage and current will be set to ones, stored in M0.
But I do not want that, I just want to have the last voltage/current.

Tested on RK6006, RD6012P, RD6018 -all the same.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1237 on: February 15, 2024, 05:42:40 pm »
Is there a way to make these remember settings on power off?
I mean, say I have set voltage to 5V and current to 1A.
Turned power supply off.
Now when I turn it back on, output voltage and current will be set to ones, stored in M0.
But I do not want that, I just want to have the last voltage/current.
M0 - is the latest current settings... It is always save settings there.
But Note! You have to confirm your entered/adjusted values, by pressing ENTER or Encoder or according V-SET/I-SET button.
For example: If you press V-SET, change the voltage by encoder, power off supply...
in this case the settings will not be saved, as you didn't confirm it.

Offline LinuxHata

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1238 on: February 15, 2024, 07:17:41 pm »
So is there a way to avoid pressing that each time?
As it is in normal supplies like Korad, eTommens and thousands of others?
Maybe, some custom firmware hack?

Offline bnae38

• Contributor
« Reply #1239 on: February 22, 2024, 01:41:32 am »
Sorry if I'm not understanding.

Guess my point is, I can see ~.014A at 14.4v with a 1k resistor on the output. I can add a 10k to this and then get ~.016A.

So the rd6018 can see a difference in this small step in current with the custom code. However, it wont register anything below 10mA current draw.

I'm struggling to see how this could be a hardware limitation if it can resolve that difference.  ???

Hi Unisoft,

I never got a direct response from you regarding this. Is it not possible? Thanks

Offline elektryk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1240 on: February 25, 2024, 05:38:42 pm »
So is there a way to avoid pressing that each time?
As it is in normal supplies like Korad, eTommens and thousands of others?
Maybe, some custom firmware hack?

Does anybody know which MCU is used in RK6006 and others?

Offline dirtcooker

• Contributor
« Reply #1241 on: February 28, 2024, 02:17:48 am »
UniSoft, I have an RD6018 and have been using your excellent custom firmware for several years now. Only one thing bugs me about this power supply (besides the noisy output): the voltage display reads high when charging batteries or powering loads at high current because of the voltage drop in the cables. Would it be possible to add either an input for lead resistance, or a calibration routine to determine it (say for example shorting the leads and measuring voltage drop at 1A)? Then the firmware could utilize this value to compute a correction to the voltage depending on load current. Hence, a virtual 4-wire kelvin connection to the load with no hardware mods needed.

Offline elektryk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1242 on: March 04, 2024, 06:29:29 am »
Does anybody know which MCU is used in RK6006 and others?

According to this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ruideng-riden-rd6006-dc-power-supply/msg4814501/#msg4814501 it should be STM32F030.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1243 on: March 06, 2024, 02:33:04 am »
Hi bnae38,

I never got a direct response from you regarding this. Is it not possible?

So the rd6018 can see a difference in this small step in current with the custom code.
However, it wont register anything below 10mA current draw.
Perhaps I just didn't notice your question.
ADC in MCU is 12 bits (212 = 4096 steps).
Therefore: 20A / 4095 = ~0.005A (Physical resolution)
Thanks to oversampling, the resolution is slightly increased (but with a loss of accuracy).
Why minimum 10mA?
I made a software restriction (just in case), as the original firmware process the same (only 2 digits after the decimal point),
and it was calibrated without taking into account the 3rd digit after the decimal point.
I was worried that some devices could show not zero value without any load.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1244 on: March 06, 2024, 03:22:05 am »
the voltage display reads high when charging batteries or powering loads at high current because of the voltage drop in the cables.
Would it be possible to add either an input for lead resistance, or a calibration routine to determine it (say for example shorting the leads and measuring voltage drop at 1A)?
Then the firmware could utilize this value to compute a correction to the voltage depending on load current.
Hence, a virtual 4-wire kelvin connection to the load with no hardware mods needed.
I doubt...
Such an idea has already been proposed, but it does not make sense due to the low resolution of the ADC and PWM.
But it can be done hardware, without any problem.
see attach...
instead of resistors better to use low resistance PTC.
Well, the disadvantage is that when the power wires are broken with Sense connected through these additional resistors, a large current will go, and they can burn, with PTC this risk is much less.

Offline andyB2022

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1245 on: April 01, 2024, 05:45:06 pm »
So I have tried what UniSoft proposed in the last post on my unit, RD6024.
Unfortunately my unit doesn't work as it should, the voltage loss on wires is compensated at the load side (sometimes over compensated) however the unit makes a very strange hissing sound, like something starts to oscillate inside. The op-amp sensing the output voltage and all of the SMD resistors layout is the same as in UniSoft's post.

I have made a YouTube video so you guys can better understand, and maybe we can figure out a solution or at least an explanation for the hissing sound.

Note, without sense wire connected, the unit works exactly like before.

YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/tmoeGaFRfxc

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 05:49:37 pm by andyB2022 »

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #1246 on: April 13, 2024, 06:51:10 pm »
I cannot upload UNISOFT's firmware.   I have a 6012RP w. factory FW 1.49 and bootloader 1.14

With the BIN file in the Firmware folder and the flash loader configured to my machine com 5, address 1 baud 115200 I can connect.  Get "now boot pattern is normal".

Hit write, and it disconnects.  Do I need to dumbdown to a different factory FW?

2118887-0

2118893-1

Thanks,

Dewey
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 08:10:13 pm by watchmaker »
Regards,

Dewey

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: April 14, 2024, 03:28:56 am »
I cannot upload UNISOFT's firmware.   I have a 6012RP w. factory FW 1.49 and bootloader 1.14
sure.
I didn't make a firmware for RD6012P, as I don't have it on the hand.
Same for RD6024, and the new one RD6030 (just released).

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #1248 on: April 14, 2024, 11:28:50 am »
Thank you.  And thank you for all your efforts!

Regards,

Dewey
Regards,

Dewey

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf