Author Topic: SainSmart DDS120 & DDS140 USB Oscilloscope  (Read 235744 times)

Offline nitetrip

Re: SainSmart DDS120 & DDS140 USB Oscilloscope
« Reply #225 on: December 27, 2014, 01:25:47 am »
I feel like I am late to this party.

I just ordered a DDS140 from Amazon, it should arrive on Wednesday.

I'm hoping it will fill my needs, I am just a tinkerer, with the Arduino and Raspberry Pi. I am also a software engineer so I will see if I can provide any assistance with the software.

Offline MengPeng

• Contributor
  • Learning electronics the hard way - :P
« Reply #226 on: December 27, 2014, 06:16:03 am »
Welcome nitetrip!  I think the software is the missing link between this seemingly adequate hardware and an actually useful usb oscope!  I've been researching and have sorta concluded that these things are toys, probably better off buying a 'real' oscilloscope, but I feel there is potential to create something good.  Seems like the hardware is there but not the software.  Thinking I should have bought a desktop oscilloscope but it is nice to be involved with the community of folks trying to make this hardware useful.

Offline crystal

• Contributor
« Reply #227 on: December 28, 2014, 12:47:05 pm »

Offline doctormord

• Regular Contributor
  • !nop
    • #fine_arts & #electronics - 360customs.de
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2014, 04:19:13 pm »
They're supposed to be the same.
#fine_arts & #electronics  - www.360customs.de

Offline torr032

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2014, 11:32:26 pm »
They're supposed to be the same.

So which one is the newer version?

Offline doctormord

• Regular Contributor
  • !nop
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2014, 12:48:26 am »
The same is the same, so no "newer version".  ???

Offline crystal

• Contributor
« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2014, 08:45:00 pm »
If they are the same then why do they have two different stickers on the cover?

Offline doctormord

• Regular Contributor
  • !nop
« Reply #232 on: December 30, 2014, 05:50:32 pm »
Why does car companies sell cars in different colors? (Same specs, different colors)

Offline nitetrip

« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2014, 08:33:16 pm »
My DS-140 came in today. Included was the Logic Analyzer and Signal generator.

I plugged it in, hit start and... Device not found.

I mucked around with it for a bit, changed USB port and still nothing. Then, I changed USB ports again and it started working! So anyone who might find this thread while googling ds-140 not working, try different USB ports, all the ones you have on your computer. I'm not entirely sure why it only works on 2 of my 4 USB ports, possibly they are the only USB 3.0 ports I have, but I'm not sure.

This is my first oscilloscope ever and I think it's amazing. It's so neat to be able to see the signal generated by the various electronics we use. I have been hooking up everything I can find to it and watching it. So very cool.

So after I get bored of playing with this thing, my next step is to take a look into the software that came with it, and the open-source software out there that is available and see if I can improve it any.

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2015, 11:46:02 pm »
such usb scope threads usually lack the details abotu the original bundled softtware(problems) in the first post (then if somebody mentiones anything it will be burried in the thread). one particular thing is of interest to me, the thing described in this video

ie zooming and moving the trigger horizontally beyond the screen.

what i'm asking is does it work in a simillar fashion like on benchtop dso's, for example on this rigol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kcOdzFaIYNE#t=93
(where such trigger movement exposed interesting bug)

so can you move the trigger on sainsmart usb scopes (with bundled scope software), and how much can you move it?
this question is also interesting in the context of other usb scopes for example picoscope 2204 or hantek 6022be, but i didn't really find any mention of that in the yt videos of those scopes.
ie i don't see a provision for it in their user interfaces.

Offline CAlan

« Reply #235 on: January 25, 2015, 09:14:13 pm »
Seeming that the folks on this board are the unofficial experts on the Sain Smart DDS120,  I hope you guys might be able to help me with a problem.

I primarily use it for looking at logic board functions while experimenting with early Solid State pinball machines, and my Arduino Uno.  I have a Windows 7 computer that the DDS120 works great, but from time to time I would like to be able to hook it up to my Mac Pro.

Now I am under the impression that there is no OSX compatible software that works with the DDS120, and I am ok with this as I have both Windows 7 and Windows XP I can run in OSX using Parallels desktop.

OSX does seem to recognize the DDS120, as it shows up in my Hardware profile after I plug it in.  Parallels desktop does acknowledge the connection (listing the device as USB102), and I can start up the DDS120 software and start the probes without an issue.

This is where things get strange:  I can't see any trace lines in the DDS120 program.  If I hook up the probes to the build in signal generator, and set the software to auto, it appears to be reading a 1000 hz signal, but all the voltage related reading (v Max, v Min, etc..) all say 0.  It is making me wonder if not all the USB information is being handed off from OSX through Parallels to Windows 7.

Is anyone using the DDS120 with Parallels Desktop and could possibly give me some pointers as to how to get it working properly?

Offline doctormord

• Regular Contributor
  • !nop
« Reply #236 on: January 26, 2015, 03:22:17 am »
Do you have GFX-acceleration enabled on Parallels? You're right, all the readings are done software. The scope only sends raw ADC data.

Offline CAlan

« Reply #237 on: January 26, 2015, 08:01:22 pm »
Do you have GFX-acceleration enabled on Parallels? You're right, all the readings are done software. The scope only sends raw ADC data.

ive tried it with both directx enabled and disabled.  It makes no difference.

Offline doctormord

• Regular Contributor
  • !nop
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2015, 12:32:17 am »
I will try to reproduce this in my setup. (OSX + Parallels Win7)

Offline CAlan

« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2015, 02:56:10 am »
So have you gotten it to work with parallels?  I also have tried it with both windows 7 and XP with Parallels.  I get the same results.  I'm using a 2010 Mac Pro with OSX 10.9.5 and a PCI usb card.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:48:55 am by CAlan »

Offline PapaLukas

« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:01 pm »
Hi guys! And among those specifically doctormord, psynapse, ganzuul and donut6!
Great thanks for what you've done and even more have shared here. Inspired by this thread I've created by own version of desktop client for DDS140 Logic Analyzer module. Which I've bought to diagnoze the problems I'm having connecting SD card reader to Raspberry Pi (but that's a different story). After I received DDS140 device I was very much depressed by the fact that despite of claimed functionality and theoretic support I cannot use it for my purpose! Indeed, it turned out that a lot I can do even without any hacking of the firmware by mere writing a stable enough client. I've published the work in progress version here https://sourceforge.net/projects/logic140/ It lacks some of planned capabilities but seem to be stable enough (especially compared to stock software) and more user-friendly. Will be happy if anybody find it useful  :)
Usage note: it's developed in java and now only supports 64-bit windows platform (java is enough cross-platform, yes, but AFAIK it does not directly support usb devices, so I have a thin JNI library). In order to run it one needs installed 64-bit version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.8. There is also all the source code published so you can build the one yourself, just need JDK 1.8, Netbeans and native toolchain (Visual Studio project for windows users is published)
At the same time I'm very curious what speeds have you manage to get gapless data at? Having these data losses IMO kills the whole idea of logic analyzer so it would be nice if other folks (like myself ;) ) could repeat your success
Regards!

Offline rvendrame

« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2015, 07:01:49 pm »
Any good soul who could tell the value of resistor R61?  I got it damaged (as well as the nearby AMS 1117) after a wrong ground connection...  I want to replace both parts, who knows it gets back to life...
Thanks

Offline mmark

• Contributor
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2015, 11:08:15 pm »
R61 seems to be 0 Ohm: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5641160/DDS120_Top_20141023_0146p.jpg (posted somewhere before)

Offline rvendrame

« Reply #243 on: February 01, 2015, 11:49:53 pm »
R61 seems to be 0 Ohm: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5641160/DDS120_Top_20141023_0146p.jpg (posted somewhere before)

@mmark, thanks, will give it a try...

Offline DAIRVINE

• Contributor
Capture at 24MHz?
« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2015, 09:16:08 am »
USBEE AX pro can capture analog for several seconds at least at 24MHz. This also uses FX2.
Saleae can capture 8 bits at 24MHz for several seconds. This also uses FX2.
USBEE AX clones are available, DDS120 is just a variant of this, they are all variants of the Cypress dev boards.

With continuous capture at 24MHz nice analog like instant displays with triggering and glitch capture should be feasible in software on the PC, for example like the Rigol 2072, except slower sampling.

At several seconds of 24MHz capture trigger is less important. You can capture long enough to cover the event then find the event with software.

The above comes across as critical, it is not meant to be, I am very grateful that people spend the time to improve the software and thank you for this. It is just a desire for what could be.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:14:18 am by DAIRVINE »

Offline DAIRVINE

• Contributor
Example application
« Reply #245 on: February 04, 2015, 09:20:45 am »
An example use is testing universal infra red. The maximum IR frequency is about 1.125MHz, the length can be several seconds. It should be within the capability of a DDS120 to capture a complete transmission, or even several transmissions.
Several transmissions are useful because of rolling code sequences up to a sequence of 16 codes (An obsolete telephone).

I actually used a picoscope for this, combined with an analog Tek scope.

Offline rvendrame

« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2015, 04:27:03 pm »

Still trying to bring it back to life... Replacing R61 by a jumper didn't fix it (anyway thx a lot @mmark!).  The voltage regulator next to it, AMS1117  3.3V is reading 2.1V at its v-out.  Can this be the problem?  Just want to check before replacing it...

Offline doctormord

• Regular Contributor
  • !nop
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2015, 06:10:29 pm »
May you check the current drawn from USB?

Offline bobi_dunkel

« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2015, 12:39:34 am »
USBEE AX clones are available, DDS120 is just a variant of this, they are all variants of the Cypress dev boards.

Is Picoscope also variant of Cypress FX2 board ?

Offline bobi_dunkel

« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2015, 02:55:57 pm »

Is Picoscope also variant of Cypress FX2 board ?

Yes some models are: http://sigrok.org/wiki/Oscilloscope_comparison

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf