Author Topic: Should I get a Keysight DSOX6004A ?  (Read 16299 times)

Offline grg183Topic starter

• Contributor
    • Salitronic
Should I get a Keysight DSOX6004A ?
« on: August 20, 2021, 10:31:46 am »
I'm exploring the options for a 1GHz+ bandwidth oscilloscope for professional use (I am an electronics engineer and run a small professional electronics design business). I'll probably not be buying this until next year but I'm starting to evaluate the options.

Some main features that I am looking for are:
- 1GHz bandwidth, preferably upgradable to 2.5Ghz or more.
- 4 analog channels, digital channels a plus but not necessary
- jitter analysis
- eye diagrams
The main need for this oscilloscope is for high speed signal analysis. I have been working on high speed designs already but this is becoming increasingly common and demanding so I am looking to upgrade my equipment.

I am a bit of a Keysight fan, I own a Keysight MSOX3024T oscilloscope and a Keysight FieldFox N9923A VNA and have always been happy with their quality and support.
I also understand the value and importance of quality tools, I need my tools to be reliable and accurate, every time. I don't have time to waste troubleshooting problems with tools and or worse being misled by an inaccurate measurement.
I also have a Keysight N2790A high voltage differential probe and a Keysight N2893A current probe, which have a Keysight specific active interface. These probes alone cost around $6k so I would ideally like to be able to used them with the new scope too.
Having a 'brand name' oscilloscope is also beneficial for when I need to include it in reports or screenshots sent to clients, but it is not the deciding factor.
Unfortunately being a small business puts me in a sort of gray zone between markets, since I have the needs for a high end scope for professional use but while I can afford some of the brand names, I don't have money to throw away like big companies do.

By the way, I'm sure there are great deals to be made with used equipment but I am generally not interested in used equipment, no matter how good of a deal it is (well I'll take it if it is practically free :-) ), except perhaps for 'Keysight Premium Used' but even that only if I really cannot justify the price of new hardware.

So naturally my first choice would be the Keysight DSOX6004A. I could get the 1GHz version and then upgrade it as needed over the next few years. That would be perfectly reasonable budget-wise.

I was considering the RTA-COM4 offer from R&S too but it is not upgradable past 1GHz and afaik doesn't do jitter analysis or eye diagrams, so while I'm sure it is an excellent instrument I think it would be limiting me in future.

In general I don't like Tektronix gear so much but if it makes sense I will consider it.

The Lecroy WavePro 254HD would probably be the best choice from a technical and feature standpoint. Budget-wise I can afford it and probably even justify it but for the current size of my business it is still a lot of money. I am not very familiar with Lecroy gear but it seems to be a better bang per buck compared to the Keysight DSOX6004A.

About the DSOX6004A, my concern, is that the DSOX6004A is based on a now fairly old MegaZoom IV asic and still only has 4Mpt memory (I know the benefits of segmented memory but still..). Meanwhile I am seeing that in these past years the 'cheap' brands have come a very long way. I'm looking at the Rigol MSO8204 for example and I cannot help but think whether I should really spend all that money on the DSOX6004A. On paper the Rigol MSO8204 seems to be a good fit, with loads of memory and at a fraction of the price. It could potentially make sense to get an MSO8204 now to cover my current needs and then look back into something better in a few years time. I didn't hesitate when I bought the Keysight MSOX3024T 5 years ago but it was a smaller investment and the cheaper alternatives were nowhere close to it's specs back then.

So I guess my main questions for you are:
- Do you think that in 2021/22 the Keysight DSOX6004A is still a good investment considering the old asic and limited memory?
- What is your opinion on the Rigol MSO8204? Am I crazy to even consider this for professional use? I've looked around for reviews of the MSO8000 series but the only videos I found are from Rigol and even on this forum there are only a few sporadic comments about it. I'd be interested to hear from anyone using the MSO8000 in a professional lab setting.
- Excluding Keysight, what oscilloscope would you suggest for my use case?

For these questions I am more concerned about having quality equipment for professional use rather than saving money, but at the same time I'd like to spend the money wisely.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:24:57 am by grg183 »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Should I get a Keysight DSOX6004A ?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 03:46:17 pm »
Don't rule out Lecroy yet but they are different compared to other scopes. I have a Lecroy Wavepro 7k series -which is a much older model- myself and it does have some caveats:
- no peak detect (I knew that before buying)
- the post trigger delay is really short. On other oscilloscopes you can get to over 1 second but the Wavepro 7k is limited to the screen width. If you want to do some form of jitter analysis on a 1PPS signal then you are out of luck
- record length is automatically shortened just enough to fill the screen
- getting more advanced analysis functions going can be a bit finicky

All in all: check the datasheet very carefully if you want to buy a Lecroy scope. These scopes are great for signal analysis using math operations but for a daily driver I'd look somewhere else.

Personally I'm very wary of Rigol. They release way ahead of schedule and then fix problems based on how many units they sell. So if you happen to stumble upon a bug that is in the way of what you want to accomplish you'll likely find yourself buying a different oscilloscope. Nowadays Rigol is a very small player in the test equipment market. Siglent is much bigger if you compare them revenue wise.

I also don't quite understand why used is out of the question. Great deals can be found including units which still have a couple of years of manufacturer warranty left. The last 2 years I bought two pieces of Tektronix gear with nice discounts from reputable companies. One basically new in the box (screen protector still on) and the other in mint condition.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 05:09:44 pm »
Something to consider: Keysight has an EBay store where you can purchase a lot of their scopes (used for the most parts - demos, rented units or trade-ins) and save quite a bit, especially if you need the higher-end models and the app bundle. They do have a couple of 6004A right now like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keysight-Used-MSOX6004A-Oscilloscope-6-GHz-20GS-s-4-Channel-w-app-bundle-/174885860472?hash=item28b8027478

Note that they do take offers and you can usually save at least another 10-15%, sometimes more depending on the model and how long it's been listed.

• Contributor
    • Salitronic
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 05:23:27 pm »
Don't rule out Lecroy yet but they are different compared to other scopes. I have a Lecroy Wavepro 7k series -which is a much older model- myself and it does have some caveats:
- no peak detect (I knew that before buying)
- the post trigger delay is really short. On other oscilloscopes you can get to over 1 second but the Wavepro 7k is limited to the screen width. If you want to do some form of jitter analysis on a 1PPS signal then you are out of luck
- record length is automatically shortened just enough to fill the screen
- getting more advanced analysis functions going can be a bit finicky

All in all: check the datasheet very carefully if you want to buy a Lecroy scope. These scopes are great for signal analysis using math operations but for a daily driver I'd look somewhere else.

Thanks for the tip, I am not familiar with Lecroy scopes and only now considering them for the first time. Their advertised specs and features are quite interesting but will definitely look into the details if I choose a brand I'm not familiar with.

Personally I'm very wary of Rigol. They release way ahead of schedule and then fix problems based on how many units they sell. So if you happen to stumble upon a bug that is in the way of what you want to accomplish you'll likely find yourself buying a different oscilloscope. Nowadays Rigol is a very small player in the test equipment market. Siglent is much bigger if you compare them revenue wise.
I do have a Rigol DSA875-TG Spectrum Analyzer a Rigol DP832 power supply and a Rigol DL3031 electronic load, all of which have served me very well without trouble. I have no regrets in having bought Rigol for these. However for an oscilloscope I'm not very confident in buying Rigol or Siglent. You are right the Rigol gear that I have had already been released for a few years when I bought, probably explaining my trouble-free experience. The MSO8204 is probably too new for that.

I also don't quite understand why used is out of the question. Great deals can be found including units which still have a couple of years of manufacturer warranty left. The last 2 years I bought two pieces of Tektronix gear with nice discounts from reputable companies. One basically new in the box (screen protector still on) and the other in mint condition.

This is probably mostly a matter of personal choice, I find it very hard to accept a used item, not just test gear, but practically anything else. I am somewhat obsessed with proper equipment handling and not knowing what a used equipment has been through is a total deal breaker for me. I also don't want to deal with possible hidden damaged done by previous owners, even if minor and even if still under warranty. If it is factory refurbished along the lines of 'Keysight Premium Used' I might consider it, but even that I would have a hard time to accept it and only if I have no other option. 'Keysight Used' is totally out of the question. Probably it's some mental condition, I know  :-DD

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 05:40:08 pm »
MSOX6000 series is least capable of all the scopes in that class. Lecroy runs circles around it dollar for dollar.
It has big screen, basic jitter package, color grading and faster A/D converters, but it is basically exactly the same scope like 3000T/4000 series.
That doesn't mean it is bad, just that there are better choices for the money.

As for Rigol, read posts of user Sighound36. He actually owns one (unlike many who still have opinion despite never tried it). Basically, you get similar capabilities to MSOX6000 series and 100x more memory.
Quality is just fine, and it works quite well for what it is.

And also, scope market is moving target. I you are going to purchase it next year, by that time there might be new players in the game, and pricing and choice might be better.

I would suggest to look into current Lecroy midrange offer, just to educate yourself what is possible for your money. You will soon see how huge is the difference, compared to Keysight 6000 series.
As for used, I don't like it either. But there are used certified scopes sometimes offered by manufacturers, where you can get used, fully qualified, freshly calibrated scope with full, as new, warranty.
That is a good deal.

As for your very nice active probes, keep them for use with your MSOX3024T. You'll want to keep that one for everyday tasks, midrange and high end scopes are not optimized for service type of work.

But as I said, next year situation might be much different, and I suggest to make decision then.

• Contributor
    • Salitronic
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 07:37:25 pm »
MSOX6000 series is least capable of all the scopes in that class. Lecroy runs circles around it dollar for dollar.
It has big screen, basic jitter package, color grading and faster A/D converters, but it is basically exactly the same scope like 3000T/4000 series.
That doesn't mean it is bad, just that there are better choices for the money.

That's my impression too. The MSOX3024T that I have is great scope and despite it's limited memory I've never found this to be a problem. There were cases when I wished it had more memory but this never prevented me from getting the job done. However I'm finding it hard to justify buying the DSOX6004 as a higher end scope with the same memory limitation, same ASIC and for a much higher price. It feels like buying the same scope with a few extras. It is not so much about the price, it's more about making sure that I get the oscilloscope that will best fit my current and foreseeable future needs while to a lesser extent also make best use of my money.

Compatibility with the active probes that I have is not a priority. It would just be convenient to be able to use those probes on either scope but definitely not a requirement.

You're right, I need to check Lecroy's ranges in more detail, I never really looked into them much but now I'm really starting to like them.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 07:58:23 pm »
As for Rigol, read posts of user Sighound36. He actually owns one (unlike many who still have opinion despite never tried it).

Sighound36 has the Rigol and experience in most others that are included in this discussion. I poked him to say something here.

BTW, with such a budget, why not the new R&S RTO6?  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:14:06 pm by tv84 »

• Contributor
    • Salitronic
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 09:06:01 pm »

Thanks for the tip, definitely interesting!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 09:15:08 pm »
Another that can be thrown in the mix is SDS6000 that should not be too far from release.
From what I've heard the beta testers have given it a good workout however we don't yet know what models and specs will be offered to western markets.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds6000-pro-10-and-12-bit-dso-coming/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 11:33:04 pm »
The answer is probably no, unless you have some need to sell the 3000T and have only a single scope. As the DSOX6000 is the "top" of their interactive/fast update rate models and doesn't really push much crossover into the deep memory and analysis (as mentioned above R&S have scopes better straddling this market or look at the newer EXR range from Keysight), way too much crossover between the 3000T and 6000.

If probes are a significant push and you think you might invest in more into the future (not uncommon to spend as much as the scope(s) or more on probing) then consider the complementary scope to a 3000/4000/6000 being a 9000/80000/90000/MSOS.

The main need for this oscilloscope is for high speed signal analysis. I have been working on high speed designs already but this is becoming increasingly common and demanding so I am looking to upgrade my equipment.
This might be the most important specification to narrow down and decide on. You could also consider doing more in the frequency domain to higher harmonics and/or a spectrum analyser. Not much can be seen with scope bandwidth only 2x above the bitrate.

I'll probably not be buying this until next year but I'm starting to evaluate the options.
Don't bother thinking ahead, only buy (or rent) what you need right now. Very rarely does the market for test equipment stagnate or see increasing prices.

The following users thanked this post: grg183, 2N3055

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 01:52:44 am »
Tough choices to make I can sympathise I am tied up until tomorrow afternoon but will offer some experience on most of the svopes you mention
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, grg183

• Contributor
    • Salitronic
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 09:06:45 am »
Another that can be thrown in the mix is SDS6000 that should not be too far from release.

Definitely worth checking, thanks. The issue with this is my same concern about the Rigol, in that I'm not sure I should rely on a Rigol or a Siglent for professional use. If it were for hobby or occasional use it would be a no-brainer and I would probably prefer a Siglent over a Rigol for that. It would probably be also a no-brainer as a second/spare scope for professional use. There are two things at play here, first I absolutely need a scope that is reliable all the time and gives accurate and dependable readings all the time. If I even have a doubt on a measurement it's essentially unusable, and I cannot afford to waste hours here and there troubleshooting or working around scope bugs. I don't mind if the UI is weird or if I have to press 10 buttons instead of one, as long as it is functional. The second thing is that although my business is on the smaller end, I often compete or collaborate with much bigger companies so having quality 'brand name' tools can be an advantage in such cases. Still the prospective of saving some $10-20k and still having a tool that gets the job done for a business of my size is very inviting.

The only disappointment about the RTO6 is it seems to only have an 8-bit hardware ADC, otherwise it seems a really good fit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 09:25:17 am by grg183 »

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 10:24:54 am »
I have to say the R&S RTO6 is a vast improvement over the prvous RT models, GUI is hughly improved and much more intuitive BUT its still quite noisy and to obtain the apps you wish puts in a different price bracket.
K/S 6000 series can be had for good prices now a couple of guys on here felt that it was not enough to change to the MXR, the newer EXR is possibly where to start looking.

I run a Wavepro.MDA and 6000A lecroy, plus a Rigol MSO 8000 series which is suprising good, the new Siglent will not have eye and jitter I believe or will it be 12 bit licencing outside China.

Back later customers today!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:18:55 pm by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 10:31:03 am »

Definitely worth checking, thanks. The issue with this is my same concern about the Rigol, in that I'm not sure I should rely on a Rigol or a Siglent for professional use. If it were for hobby or occasional use it would be a no-brainer and I would probably prefer a Siglent over a Rigol for that. It would probably be also a no-brainer as a second/spare scope for professional use. There are two things at play here, first I absolutely need a scope that is reliable all the time and gives accurate and dependable readings all the time. If I even have a doubt on a measurement it's essentially unusable, and I cannot afford to waste hours here and there troubleshooting or working around scope bugs. I don't mind if the UI is weird or if I have to press 10 buttons instead of one, as long as it is functional. The second thing is that although my business is on the smaller end, I often compete or collaborate with much bigger companies so having quality 'brand name' tools can be an advantage in such cases. Still the prospective of saving some $10-20k and still having a tool that gets the job done for a business of my size is very inviting.

The only disappointment about the RTO6 is it seems to only have an 8-bit hardware ADC, otherwise it seems a really good fit.

As for "fit for professional use" we passed that point half a decade ago..
At this point, quality or dependability is on par with A brands. They are still lagging a bit in depth of analysis options, but mostly at high end. In entry level and mid range, they are getting close, and quick.
They are working tirelessly on it.

Also why presume anything is weird in U/I?  They are no better or worse than A brands. Problem with all new scopes is the they are COMPLICATED. They have so much measurements and analysis options that it takes time to learn what is there in a first place, much less where it is.
For that problem, new touchscreen scopes are much better, and having tried most of the brands (Keysight, R&S, LeCroy, Rigol, Siglent) I would say it is more of a style difference than anything else. LeCroy, R&S and Siglent take more modern full touch screen interface approach, and Keysight and Rigol are more of standard scope with touch added approach. They all take a week or two to get used to, and then you simply use it and don't think about it anymore.

Also, "brand name tools" as advantage to customer is a moot point. If customers trust you, they will not go into that. If they don't, fancy tools are waste of money. You won't get the job. Also, if I was your customer, I would rather you have Siglent or Rigol under maintenance interval and freshly calibrated, than 15 years old Big Brand that was never calibrated. 
I would pay more attention to quality and completeness of your documentation that what logo is on scope screenshots.
I see more and more research papers that use Siglent and Rigol in it with no shame. Whatever prejudice is there will dissipate in next few years.
I had only one encounter where customer made a comment "that he would like that i calibrated it with proper equipment" meaning Fluke or Keysight. On which I answered that my meter was in official calibration cycle, that it was order of magnitude better than was needed, and that I will gladly make an wager with him: I would take (or he can) somewhere and verify calibration on "propper gear", and if it was out of cal I would gladly pay for all expenses. But if I was right, he would pay for the pleasure out of his pocket. At which point it was suddenly fun and games "we were just joking" moment... Customers are  always right, up to the point where they aren't. And they always have "special requests" until the point they have to pay for the pleasure. Then suddenly "standard service" is good enough.

If you do stumble upon customer or job that simply require special equipment you don't have, include it in cost of project and rent it. You always say to your customers that you have fine very well equipped lab, but is need arises that you rent special equipment. So they can rest assured that you have best tools at your disposal, and pass the savings to them by managing the cost of equipment by prioritizing what you purchase. Sometimes project will buy you a whole instrument if it makes sense financially and you can integrate it in cost structure.

As for 8-bit hardware, going over 2 GHz and more than 8 bit A/D is not very common, and gets expensive fast. Also, despite claimed resolution, ENOB will be different story.
For looking at jitter and eyes, and fast protocols, 8 bit is more than enough for the most purposes. At such bandwidths noise is getting to be big part of what you see on the screen. As I said, take a look at the ENOB numbers , that is more important.

There is a lot of merit for higher than 8 bit scopes at lower frequencies. For power electronics, having 12 bit is improvement. For lower frequencies, working on sensors and such, 16 bit is even better.
But those are special tools for special jobs. If you work on those jobs, you will need to get those tools separately. There is no scope that will do everything best. They will usually shine in one area and be usable elsewhere.  For instance 8ch, 20MHz, 12 bit scope will work great for switchers, power electronics (frequency converters, motor drives) etc. You could check 7+1 AV receiver outputs all at the same time on single correlated plot. You can measure and monitor 3 Phase systems, 3 phases, V&A and PE current, all at the same time. 
But it is only 20MHz. For you, something not useful at all. For power electronics guy, probably all the tool he will ever need.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tv84

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 06:15:55 pm »

As for "fit for professional use" we passed that point half a decade ago..
That depends on what you are doing. Siglent gear has been falling flat on it's face for the measurement tasks I'm facing so I have to buy A-brand instead to get the job done. The problem with Rigol and Siglent still is proper verification of their software functions. So things appear to be OK at the surface but once you dig deeper you start to uncover the skeletons. This is likely due to being relatively new to making test equipment compared to the more established brands which have decades of experience and pedigree that goes into their designs.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2021, 07:08:47 pm »
This is likely due to being relatively new to making test equipment compared to the more established brands which have decades of experience and pedigree that goes into their designs.

Nico, you know perfectly well that companies are made of people. And people tend to have a finite number of years. The fact that a brand has decades of experience doesn't mean it can't do new errors bigger than a recent starter.

I think what the B brands lack is a schedule of FW updates. If Siglent/Rigol just announced that they would release a FW update every 6 months and stick to it, you guys would be all happy! For example, Keysight does that and you all love their "bug free" releases (they must be bug free because of the decades long experience). So, it seems that if you just have a firm FW update schedule, that could very well place you in the A brand realm.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2021, 07:22:51 pm »
This is likely due to being relatively new to making test equipment compared to the more established brands which have decades of experience and pedigree that goes into their designs.

Nico, you know perfectly well that companies are made of people. And people tend to have a finite number of years. The fact that a brand has decades of experience doesn't mean it can't do new errors bigger than a recent starter.
Sorry but that is wrong. If your statement where true then we'd get cars which look like and drive like a model-T Ford every 30 years. It doesn't work that way. Rest assured that new people who get to work on the core functions get thouroughly trained by the seasoned engineers and have access to a vast library of documentation (just look at the dozens of appnotes Tektronix and Keysight have published over the past decades).

A good example is the Tektronix AFG31000 I bought recently. The UI has some rough edges because it is a new touchscreen based UI instead of the usual Tektronix interface but the signal generation part is rock solid. The latter has been engineered and perfected during the decades that Tektronix has been making these kind of function generators. According to the datasheet a Siglent SDG2000x generator would be better bang for buck but unfortunately it has a bug in the modulation part (probably accumulating rounding error) which makes it useless for my purposes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 07:35:03 pm by nctnico »

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2021, 08:20:32 pm »
Sorry but that is wrong. If your statement where true then we'd get cars which look like and drive like a model-T Ford every 30 years. It doesn't work that way. Rest assured that new people who get to work on the core functions get thouroughly trained by the seasoned engineers and have access to a vast library of documentation (just look at the dozens of appnotes Tektronix and Keysight have published over the past decades).

I meant precisely the opposite. I hate to derail the thing but, then, let me add 2 small examples: 1. it was the same NASA that put Armstrong on the Moon that decided to launch the shuttle Challenger, 17 years later. 2. That same NASA (together with all the A brands of the aerospace world) with many decades experience (successes and failures) were unable (or, at least, unwilling) to do what SpaceX has accomplished in these last 2 decades.

So, what I meant is, decades long experience indoctrination nowadays is not a guarantee or assurance that you will excel in any new technology that comes into your field. For sure it's a big advantage but it's not a lifetime guarantee.

Also, back on topic, Sighound just said that RTO6 noise level is disappointing. That for me is a BIG disappointment!  :'( I've seen the RTO6 UI and I consider it, just from videos, the best UI I've ever seen in these type of scopes. So, given R&S decades long experience, that new technology (which is the touch UIs) should be their hardest part. But, unfortunately they exceled in the UI and underperformed in the noise part...  :( Let's hope it was Sighound misjudgment. We need further opinions like yours.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2021, 08:22:23 pm »
Also, "brand name tools" as advantage to customer is a moot point. If customers trust you, they will not go into that. If they don't, fancy tools are waste of money. You won't get the job. Also, if I was your customer, I would rather you have Siglent or Rigol under maintenance interval and freshly calibrated, than 15 years old Big Brand that was never calibrated.

I wouldn't presume to speak for all customers, but some of them still care--perhaps because they don't know any better, but they still have opinions.  And as far as whether or not they trust you, what is that based on?  If they have no other information, perhaps they are looking at your equipment.  Now as far as under maintenance and freshly calibrated, we had that discussion....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdm3065x-issues/

I see more and more research papers that use Siglent and Rigol in it with no shame. Whatever prejudice is there will dissipate in next few years.

I'm not sure I see the connection.  My take is that these brands offer great value with the occasional, often unexpected, shortcoming.  I ran into this with my SDS1104X-E when I found that it had an extraordinarily long overload recovery time that prevented me using an uncommon but not unheard of measuring technique.  All of my decades-old A-brand scopes were able to perform this as expected.  Now I still think the Siglent is a great value, it does many things very well and I use it all the time.  However, this raises two issues.

The first is what do you do when you only have one instrument capable of doing a difficult measurement and you have no way of cross-checking--so you need to have great confidence in that measurement?  This isn't an 8 bit vs 10 bit or 4k vs 14M of memory question, it is a question of whether the manufacturer has carefully engineered out all of the various arcane issues that can lead to errors or unanticipated results in corner cases.  On paper a Tek TPS2000 series would seem like a bad joke compared to the Siglent SDS1000X-E series, and at 10X the cost to boot.  In real life doing actual work, one is better at some things and the other is better at others.

The second is how these issues are perceived by buyers when you start to move up the ladder.  As I said, at $500 Siglent provides a lot of value despite the shortcomings.  I could even accept some of those issues in a $1300 hackable SDS2104X+.  But when you start looking at $5000-10000+ scopes, one has to start to wonder if those aren't going to have some shortcomings of their own and what those might be.  If you are doing some research and none of those issues apply to you, then there indeed is no shame in using whatever works--if you can verify that it actually does work.  However, if you are doing something cutting edge, or at least well beyond the basics, and you only have one instrument fresh out of the box and you absolutely have to rely on it, what would you like it to be?

It's going to be a lot more than a few years.  Siglent and Rigol have made progress in the hobbyist and educational levels and are just starting to knock on the doors of the mid-level users.  That and OEMing the lower end of A-brand offerings....   
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2021, 09:28:48 pm »
I do have time for nctnico he has a lot of very practical experiance over a wide range of subjects, far more than my limited /PDN/green energy/Audio and psu designs. Athough he is not to fond of Rigol which would a fair assement  :box:

Having not been in the electronics game for for about 15 years until a couple of years ago I was starting from scratch, I looked at a few of the popular low priced brands to find they were really not to bad at all. I ended up going through Rigol's catolgue for various reasons, increased BW, more features etc.

I have owned a fully specificed MSO 8000 with all options for 18 months now, and its really is very good indeed, it has always been reliable, and simple and easy to use, packed with USEABLE features and 500Mpts of memory, 10G/s and pretty decent digital decoding and a genuine 2.3Ghz BW. The FFT is very respectable and pretty much on the money. Intutive and nicely built imho. Also the HDMI is a nice feature as well.

All the instruments in the lab are tied togther with an ultra low phase noise master 10Mhz ref (-122dbc@1Hz).

It sports a nice basic jitter meas/histograms/track plus good basic eye diagram parameters. It also has some decent hardware processing. never noisy ir annoying!

Would suggest that its' not at the top of your list for taking low noise measurment but its damn good at the rest of the day to day requirements. If you are looking to do this then only the Keysight EXR/MXR and Lecroy better again. The New R&S scope as good as it is, is really is quite noisy and again its only 8 bits of HW the rest is SW despite the ENOB of 9.4 I compared the older RTO and MSO8000 at various frequenices and being honest the Rigol was equal to or better at least 50% of the frequenices I tried them at. Now the new R&S is a different beast and the RF properties of this scope are top draw, BUT remember the starting point here in the UK is £15K GBP for a bear bones 600Mhz unit and if you add up the apps IT costs and remeber the probes that you are going to need as well. My probe cupboard is around £100K ontop of the scopes and apps theselves if you at looking at multi channel low noise psu work and board level meas.

My suggestion would be to either grab a ex works KS6000 with greater BW and a few decent apps for around the £1%K mark via their disposal sites> or buy a Factory refub Lecroy Wave ruuner 9000 is has the full SDA package and upto 4Ghz, only 8 bit but a really good 8 bit scope. Lecroy had a couple not so along ago for around £16K with max memoery and BW, and the would be happy to negoatiate on the apps at a very favourable rate going on past experiances.

https://teledynelecroy.com/wr9000/

A wavepro 254 of HDO8000 strating point is £29K with none of the fancy apps, but the tie you factor in say foue desriable apps and the correct probes you can make that £50K plus yes they will haggle buut you are not going to cleeve £20K off the price. R&S in the UK are more ameniable to this practice I am lead to believe.

The EXR could possibly tick the boxes you are looking for, starting @ £15K GBP again BUT everything is on scope upgradeable including the BW upto 2.5Ghz, app costs around the mid point from memeory about £4K for the jitter and about the same for the full eye package.

You could if low noise meas were important to use, use a small form Lecroy upto 200/250Mhz and then have a big Rigol or maybe used KS6000 or similar for the bigger BW and eye requirements.

For myself personally Lecroy is just some bloody good and intutitve plus its accuracte and I would not be without them, other may disagree we all have perferenices. We have four Lecroy scopes now. No I am not paid or sponsored by the Chestnut Ridge, I just really enjoy using their products which I feel are first rate.

At your budget you have some good options open to you, take you time and look at all of those you are considering, BUT remeber to factor in the cost of the apps and probes, plus remember total system bandwidth as well, so many forget.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 09:49:16 pm by Sighound36 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tv84, Jacon

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2021, 10:18:24 pm »

I wouldn't presume to speak for all customers, but some of them still care--perhaps because they don't know any better, but they still have opinions.  And as far as whether or not they trust you, what is that based on?  If they have no other information, perhaps they are looking at your equipment.  Now as far as under maintenance and freshly calibrated, we had that discussion....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdm3065x-issues/

I'm not sure I see the connection.  My take is that these brands offer great value with the occasional, often unexpected, shortcoming.  I ran into this with my SDS1104X-E when I found that it had an extraordinarily long overload recovery time that prevented me using an uncommon but not unheard of measuring technique.  All of my decades-old A-brand scopes were able to perform this as expected.  Now I still think the Siglent is a great value, it does many things very well and I use it all the time.  However, this raises two issues.

The first is what do you do when you only have one instrument capable of doing a difficult measurement and you have no way of cross-checking--so you need to have great confidence in that measurement?  This isn't an 8 bit vs 10 bit or 4k vs 14M of memory question, it is a question of whether the manufacturer has carefully engineered out all of the various arcane issues that can lead to errors or unanticipated results in corner cases.  On paper a Tek TPS2000 series would seem like a bad joke compared to the Siglent SDS1000X-E series, and at 10X the cost to boot.  In real life doing actual work, one is better at some things and the other is better at others.

The second is how these issues are perceived by buyers when you start to move up the ladder.  As I said, at $500 Siglent provides a lot of value despite the shortcomings.  I could even accept some of those issues in a $1300 hackable SDS2104X+.  But when you start looking at $5000-10000+ scopes, one has to start to wonder if those aren't going to have some shortcomings of their own and what those might be.  If you are doing some research and none of those issues apply to you, then there indeed is no shame in using whatever works--if you can verify that it actually does work.  However, if you are doing something cutting edge, or at least well beyond the basics, and you only have one instrument fresh out of the box and you absolutely have to rely on it, what would you like it to be?

It's going to be a lot more than a few years.  Siglent and Rigol have made progress in the hobbyist and educational levels and are just starting to knock on the doors of the mid-level users.  That and OEMing the lower end of A-brand offerings....

Well, thank you for this response because it clearly illustrates the core of the problem.

People are extrapolating that manufacturer of simple inexpensive cars that are good value in its class is incapable of starting making upper class models.
Because that is how they see the brand. Nobody seems to remember anymore where Japanese manufacturers were once...

Product that are MADE for hoby and entry level market, where cheap but still as good as possible is priority,  are made certain way. With all the engineering compromises that stem from that.
It wasn't top of their abilities, but a deliberate choice to serve that market.

Product that are made for other markets are designed differently, made differently, tested differently.. Made by different teams, with larger budgets for BOM and R&D.
And are different products, despite carrying same logo.

That is same in R&S, in Keysight , Tektronix, Rigol or Siglent.
Except A brands think entry level money is 2000-3000 USD.

And it WAS until our fellow Chinese EE decided that even people with much less money deserve to be able to afford oscilloscope.
And now people think that is all they are. Take Siglent for instance. How many completely new products they developed in last few years?
You guys think that can be accomplished by being a joke? If anything, it scary how fast they learn and improve..

When R&S took almost 2 years  to fix basic stuff on their new scope platform that was OK..

Why don't you doubt R&S ability to make basic measurements? In beginning they had huge problems with skipping triggers, losing parts of capture, wrong plotting etc.
How do you know THEY fixed it all? Did they put enough money into testing process? Be warned, EU or USA companies will be MORE prone to save money to control profits. Are you sure? On what basis?
With B tier companies it also about improving reputation and opportunity to prove themselves. They have to work harder. To prove the point. They are willing to give up part of profit to build quality recognition. And they do.

And then there are people that buy 15 years old LeCroy for 2000 USD, hack the licenses and then say how Siglent (or Rigol) scope for same amount of money is a toy.
They don't say that scope was 150000 USD when new, and that new one with same features is still North of 60000 USD..

There are many apples and oranges being mixed here...

So my stance on this is like always: we dabble in electronics here. And are supposed to respect measuring, not guessing stuff and real data, not speculations.
When new product is released, then we can all see what it is. Until then, it's just like bad reality TV. All smack talk, no naked people...

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, JohnG, Jacon

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2021, 10:20:54 pm »

:-+ Bullseye...

Thanks for taking time to write this up.

Best,
Sinisa

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2021, 11:50:27 pm »
People are extrapolating that manufacturer of simple inexpensive cars that are good value in its class is incapable of starting making upper class models.
Because that is how they see the brand. Nobody seems to remember anymore where Japanese manufacturers were once...

Product that are MADE for hoby and entry level market, where cheap but still as good as possible is priority,  are made certain way. With all the engineering compromises that stem from that.
It wasn't top of their abilities, but a deliberate choice to serve that market.

Product that are made for other markets are designed differently, made differently, tested differently.. Made by different teams, with larger budgets for BOM and R&D.
And are different products, despite carrying same logo.

Um, no.  First, R&D budgets can be high for high-volume low-priced products if need be.  Second, I remember exactly where the Japanese auto manufacturers were...and how long it took them to overtake the absolutely moribund and decrepit US automakers.  And to this day nobody regards even the most successful of them to be superior to the better old brands like M-Benz, Porsche, etc., They are peers to the mainstream manufacturers like VW, Ford, etc.  And they got there with attention to quality and reliability--those are just as important, if not more so--in the mid-lower segment than the luxury segment. 

That is same in R&S, in Keysight , Tektronix, Rigol or Siglent.
Except A brands think entry level money is 2000-3000 USD.

And now people think that is all they are. Take Siglent for instance. How many completely new products they developed in last few years?
You guys think that can be accomplished by being a joke? If anything, it scary how fast they learn and improve..

OK, so look at the hackable $500 Siglent vs the Tektronix TBS2204B, which at first glance appears to fill the same slot, but costs $3000.  If money is tight, the Siglent does a lot for $500.  If you have a commercial operation and your bench is occupied by an engineer making $100K and his bench has room for one scope, then you need to compare a little more.  When you do you'll find that the Tek is so vastly superior and more useful in a gazillion ways (even though it has less memory) that it isn't even a close call.  This same scenario plays itself out over and over--and the makers of the much more expensive instruments somehow keep selling them for some reason.  I don't think Siglent is a joke at all and yes I'm impressed by their progress.  But I also know that they aren't 'there' yet and I predict it will be more than a few years before they are considered by the professional and industrial market to be a peer of Tektronix.

When R&S took almost 2 years  to fix basic stuff on their new scope platform that was OK..
Why don't you doubt R&S ability to make basic measurements? In beginning they had huge problems with skipping triggers, losing parts of capture, wrong plotting etc.
How do you know THEY fixed it all? Did they put enough money into testing process? Be warned, EU or USA companies will be MORE prone to save money to control profits. Are you sure? On what basis?
With B tier companies it also about improving reputation and opportunity to prove themselves. They have to work harder. To prove the point. They are willing to give up part of profit to build quality recognition. And they do.

And then there are people that buy 15 years old LeCroy for 2000 USD, hack the licenses and then say how Siglent (or Rigol) scope for same amount of money is a toy.
They don't say that scope was 150000 USD when new, and that new one with same features is still North of 60000 USD..

There are many apples and oranges being mixed here...

Yes, and the likes of R&S and LeCroy are the jackfruits and pomegranates in that comparison.  First, if any manufacturer does a bad job they should be pilloried mercilessly no matter who they are, there I agree 100%.  And when I refer to reliable A-brand bench oscilloscopes that I personally have confidence in, I mean Tek and HPAK, in that order and that's the end of the list.  Other brands may be high-end--like Alfa and Maserati if we're using the auto industry for metaphors--but they are low-volume mid-to-high end specialty manufacturers whose customers typically will put up with a lot to get the special features and capabilities that they have.  And like the auto industry, high-end or exotic companies trying to capitalize on their brand name by dipping down into the mainstream market is generally a disaster for everyone, much worse then a lower-end manufacturer trying to move up.

I think the current arrangement, whatever it is, between Siglent and LeCroy is a good one.  And the current ultra-competitive entry level scope market is good for the buyer as well.  But there should be no confusion about what you are actually getting and what compromises have been made to get there. 

So my stance on this is like always: we dabble in electronics here. And are supposed to respect measuring, not guessing stuff and real data, not speculations.
When new product is released, then we can all see what it is. Until then, it's just like bad reality TV. All smack talk, no naked people...

Well that's why I see no problem in comparing decades-old stuff to new.  The original price is irrelevant, it is what you can get today for your money.  And if a decades-old instrument has an advantage over a new one, I see no reason to not point it out.   And we have much more information about those older models since they were better documented and we have a decade or two of experience with them.  If a new model fails to do something properly that a 30-year old scope can handle, what's the excuse?  "We didn't know about that" or "that's what you get at this price point" ?

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2021, 12:01:22 am »
*takes off hobbyist hat*

Nobody got fired for buying IBMKeysight is the operative phrase for this thread. Time is money, so if you're using your bench to make money, you are going to invariably prefer to buy products that are proven and have a good support network. Even more so if you are going to have clients/sponsors visiting your premises. A bench equipped with top brands makes a statement....a bench filled with not so top brands can make another statement that may not be desirable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf