Author Topic: Show us your square wave  (Read 207341 times)

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
Re: Show us your square wave
« Reply #450 on: August 31, 2022, 03:38:42 pm »
Good Day,

Ok, I realize that this is an old thread, but still an interesting topic :)

I was hooked up by the simplicity of the 74AC14-based fast rise pulse generator design. So, same as many other members I have built my own earlier this week. Nice!
I have used a simple double-sided copper board from the scrap pile and the results of this simple thing built in "dead-bug style" are pleasing.
I have just added a "proper" power connector, a diode to protect from reverse supply voltages and some stand-offs. Used a 100 nF cap. and a 10k resistor SMDs for the oscillator, as these 0805 size components fit nicely.
The BNC output connected is mounted on an old Tektronix assembly mount, which is a left over from an older oscilloscope repair. 
Voilá - the simple thing worked right from the start and creates a nice 960 Hz square wave with an amplitude of about 3.4Vpp into 50 Ohms.

I have measured rise times between 1.8 ns and 2.1 ns (10% to 90%) per the attached screenshots. These were taken with an entry-level LeCroy Type Wavejet 334 DSO, which is spec'd at 1 ns typ rise time and 350 MHz BW.
The output signal overshoots by around 29%, but that's fine and the distinct peak makes it even useful when one uses it as a poor man's TDR.
And I had much fun when I was following Alan's (W2AEW) excellent video "#88: Cheap and simple TDR using an oscilloscope and 74AC14 Schmitt Trigger Inverter"
I was amazed to find out that this method allowed me some correct cable length measurements of two cables (an Aircell-5 and a plain-vanilla RG-58 made by HP) down to centimeter accuracy. Nice work, as always, Alan... @w2aew !  :-+

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #451 on: August 31, 2022, 03:52:16 pm »
You may find the following of interest as well where we look at several types of gates ran over various temperatures and voltages.     

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/waveforms-in-a-74ls04-ring-oscillator/

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #452 on: November 08, 2022, 03:58:24 pm »
Somewhere in a thread user ttggzz suggested the use of LVC gates in parallel, I made a board to test the idea and I'm getting less than 500ps rise and fall times with very nice shape, tested with a 1GHz scope:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 04:02:17 pm by PartialDischarge »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, radiolistener, teddychn

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #453 on: November 08, 2022, 04:35:35 pm »
Somewhere in a thread user ttggzz suggested the use of LVC gates in parallel, I made a board to test the idea and I'm getting less than 500ps rise and fall times with very nice shape, tested with a 1GHz scope:

Here perhaps: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-square-wave/msg1902941/#msg1902941

Good to see the results can be replicated. It looks like the scopes I was using (not mine, very fast test) used the 20%-80% times, which would be faster than the 10%-90% times.

I used 143ohms in series since the gate output is ~7ohms. I don't think that would make too much difference in practice - decoupling would make more difference.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 04:38:49 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #454 on: November 08, 2022, 05:41:38 pm »
I tried with a 74VHC gate but it is slower, I'm very happy with the results since 2.5V 500ps is very useful for many applications, it is a fairly cheap solution and aberrations are minimal which I consider important

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #455 on: November 08, 2022, 08:27:51 pm »
I tried with a 74VHC gate but it is slower, I'm very happy with the results since 2.5V 500ps is very useful for many applications, it is a fairly cheap solution and aberrations are minimal which I consider important

Agreed.

You can also reduce the output swing by reducing the PSU voltage, but the transition time increases. Try reducing Vcc  to 1V or so, and seeing if you get a 0.5V swing with 3ns risetime (and some "pre-undershoot" for want of a better term). You can go even lower, with some entertaining[1] aberrations :) The aberrations are gone by 1.7V or so, as expected.

[1] I'm easily entertained :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tchiwam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #456 on: January 07, 2023, 08:33:51 pm »
4 outputs on top of each other ;)

100us pulse 1 PPS rising edge ~3GHz BW

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #457 on: January 07, 2023, 08:41:02 pm »
4 outputs on top of each other ;)

100us pulse 1 PPS rising edge ~3GHz BW

4 outputs of what?

Why not use averaging?

PPS? And those figures don't seem to match the figures in the photograph.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline tchiwam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2023, 09:21:58 pm »
I was comparing 4 of the 8 putputs from my PPS distribution. That's s the rising edge of a 100us pulse.

The measurements on the side are out of the window so they are wonky except for the cursors.

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #459 on: February 05, 2023, 03:54:17 pm »
on CSA830A, my new toy :D  - 20,8ps -  rise and fall time!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 10:02:02 pm by bozidarms »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #460 on: February 05, 2023, 04:11:11 pm »
@bozidarms

20.8 ps rise and fall times ?

What generator do you use for that?
And what scope and probe?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2023, 04:26:48 pm »
It`s one Tektronix CSA803A with SD-24 TDR/sampling head.
However, that is my 3. SD-24, which has characteristics far more better than proclamated.
The other two wasn't so god.

That is a test pulse from SD-24 itself on SMA out, which is only shorted.
Measurement is at 10% - 90%.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:20:45 pm by bozidarms »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tchiwam

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #462 on: March 08, 2023, 03:42:38 pm »
- kind of curious to see what is the lowest price device is that can produce a really good looking square wave at 1, 5, 10, 20, and 30 MHz?
I don't know if "really good looking" but it's very low priced.  ;)
The signal comes from a ESP32 microcontroller  for ~ 5$.
The oscilloscope is a handheld ZEEWEII DSO2512G for ~ 80$.

Please note:
The 40MHz measurement was made in the overclocking mode of the device (Menu Aux + ⇧ [long])
with 250MHz probes and a ground spring.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:24:34 am by Aldo22 »

Offline the Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #463 on: November 10, 2023, 07:38:40 am »
My pulse generator from Leo Bodnar arrived yesterday, so I would like to contribute with my slow-but-I-am-loving-it EDUX1052A. Measurements were taken with an RS Pro 50Ohm inline terminator that I ordered from Leo alongside the pulser.

I got 5.8767ns over 112k measurements. Considering the specified 50MHz and therefore assuming a classic -3dB drop, the BW = 0.35 / r_t should be valid, resulting in 60MHz bandwidth.

This is in line with what I estimated using a 10MHz to 60Mhz sinus sweep of my UTG962E, with pretty much no drop under 10MHz (not shown) and about ~1.2V peak in amplitude at 60MHz using a N2142A 75MHz probe in 10x mode.

Thanks Leo for the fast shipping and now including the customs and taxes loads for EU members!

EDIT: 5ns/div measurement added

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 08:02:30 am by the Chris »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #464 on: November 11, 2023, 02:12:48 am »
My pulse generator from Leo Bodnar arrived yesterday, so I would like to contribute with my slow-but-I-am-loving-it EDUX1052A. Measurements were taken with an RS Pro 50Ohm inline terminator that I ordered from Leo alongside the pulser.

I got 5.8767ns over 112k measurements. Considering the specified 50MHz and therefore assuming a classic -3dB drop, the BW = 0.35 / r_t should be valid, resulting in 60MHz bandwidth.

I wonder where that aberration came from; it is much greater than I would expect considering the much faster settling time of the pulse generator compared to a 60 MHz oscilloscope.

My guess is that the oscilloscope does *not* have a Gaussian or single pole response.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, the Chris

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #465 on: November 11, 2023, 01:42:51 pm »
Below are four examples of square wave forms I looked at earlier, one using the Siglent SDG2042A 10Mhz 4V pk<>pk / 10Mhz ultra low phase noise -124dbm@1hz to -175dbm@10Mhz/ Leo Bodnar 40pS rise time generator/ 44.1Khz word clock.

Using Wavepro 4Ghz HD scope 50 Ohm T-flex 405 18Ghz cabling, full scope BW of 4Ghz NO ERS (software enhancement) up to 20GS/s rate. Scope up to temprature and calibrated.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 02:08:09 pm by Sighound36 »
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #466 on: November 11, 2023, 02:11:33 pm »
As we can only post 10 attachments second post last of the 44.1Khz images plus I thought if would be nice to show the eye pattern for each of these square wave sources as well

Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #467 on: November 11, 2023, 04:52:03 pm »
I followed  Leo Bodnar's threads about that pulsar but never bought one.   All of my scopes are too slow to verify it. 

Many years ago, I stumbled onto an employee of LeCroy who had purchased some of their junk at an internal auction.  They had the test fixtures for the 7200A.  Another gem was they had some of the 7262 plugins.  These are the only ones I have ever seen.   This plugin includes an ECL output for TDR measurements and has an analog BW of 4GHz.   I posted some data for it recently where it measures 118ps.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/12-ghz-active-probe-project/msg5007958/#msg5007958

I posted about my conversations with LeCroy about the risetime and bandwidth:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-square-wave/msg593071/#msg593071

Typically RT*BW = 0.40 to 0.45 for modern high bandwidth scopes

4GHz * 118ps = 0.472.   Much higher than 0.35.   

If I attach another old relic, Tektronix S-52 which has a risetime of less than 25ps, the scope measures 111ps.   Or 0.444. 

This scope was my first DSO, outside of my HP scope/logic analyzer.   Originally owned by the USAF.   Released in 1989.   She's old but fun to play with.

The following users thanked this post: DH7DN

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #468 on: November 11, 2023, 08:22:01 pm »
Here is a result from a Tektronix Scope Evaluation board and a Siglent DS2202.  The board has a 4-bit counter with a risetime of around 2 nsec with some overshoot.

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #469 on: November 11, 2023, 09:15:58 pm »
Here is a result from a Tektronix Scope Evaluation board and a Siglent DS2202.  The board has a 4-bit counter with a risetime of around 2 nsec with some overshoot.

How was the probe's shield connected to the board's ground? A 6inch ground lead is a classic cause of overshoot.

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #470 on: November 11, 2023, 09:50:35 pm »
Your guess is close ... it is a 5 inch lead.  They put the ground pad as far from TP1 as possible???
I included a shot from the manual that came with the board.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #471 on: November 11, 2023, 09:55:30 pm »
That's funny to even see one of these boards.   I picked up what appears to be the same one directly from Tektronix when I bought my first scope (Hitachi) back in the 80s.   I think they were giving these away back then as a promotion.   

Connecting from pin1 to pin4 using a LeCroy PP061 resistive probe with a pretty much dead battery,  scope measure 1.65ns without the big overshoot.  The BW is much higher than what you have available and there is no ringing.  I also suspect your connection from the board to the scope. 

The following users thanked this post: Grandchuck

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #472 on: November 11, 2023, 10:04:46 pm »
Your guess is close ... it is a 5 inch lead.  They put the ground pad as far from TP1 as possible???
I included a shot from the manual that came with the board.

Have a look at https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/scope-probe-accessory-improves-signal-fidelity/

As a quick test I would wrap a length of wire around the probe body, with a short straight spike to the gnd hole on the left. In other words, a variant of the "spiked spring" supplied with the probe.

The following users thanked this post: Grandchuck

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2023, 12:35:14 am »
Recently someone was asking about how to use a scope and signal generator to measure the self resonance frequency of an inductor.    I provided several examples, the later using a square wave to cause the inductor to ring at at the SRF.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/measuring-the-self-resonant-frequency-of-an-inductor/

As long as I have the pulser out... shown is a Mini-circuits 6.3 - 15GHz high pass.  Data sheet may be found at:
https://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/VHF-6010+.pdf

I attached this to the old Tektronix pulser and then into my LeCroy 8500A.  This scope has a BW of 5GHz.  They claim a typical rise time of 90ps.   Obviously the filter is outside the limit of what the scope can measure.  Ignore that.  The signal was stable and I used RIS to get a clearer picture what is going on.   What I thought was interesting is it appears to have a dominant SRF of about 6.2GHz.

In the end, who smacks a filter like this anyway.... 

Online Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2023, 03:48:08 pm »
tggzzz and Joe are great motivators.  Look and see what happens.
Now, why would Tektronix do that?  One would think that their pictured result would exemplify best practices???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf