Author Topic: Siglent SDM3065X - Loss of logged data when switching to another display/chart?  (Read 1934 times)

Offline CalvinTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
Hi,

just noticed recently that when I did some resistor calibrations with my SDM3065X that You seemingly can´t switch between different displays -say Trend-chart and Histogramm- without loosing the logged data.
Since the data is been logged already (in a volatile memory), I see no good reason at all for this behaviour.
In fact was I quite disappointed about this, as it would mean that You have to repeat measurements to get different presentations  :--
The manual doesn´t help here .... I´m inclined to say of course not, as any online or paper help is usually utterly useless with one´s specific prob.  :palm:
Am I just missing out on something, or is this a real Bug?

regards
Calvin

..... it builds character!

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
Yes, can double that behaviour and Siglent never developed this great disappointment in any FW since release of this devices !!!! That is a shame!
All other meter with graphic display are able to handle this correct. And when you see what great amount of memory this device have build in one can’t understand why not implemented. [emoji22]

Karsten

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Yes, can double that behaviour and Siglent never developed this great disappointment in any FW since release of this devices !!!! That is a shame!
All other meter with graphic display are able to handle this correct. And when you see what great amount of memory this device have build in one can’t understand why not implemented. [emoji22]

Karsten
So this firmware from earlier this year is no help ?
http://old.siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SDM3065X_3.01.01.06R2_EN.zip
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor

Karsten

It's much easier to put a small ton of memory in a box than useful software.

In fairness to Siglent, I think they are trying and doing a pretty good job of developing reliable high performance hardware, pretty good functions and features, and competitive prices.  I don't think Siglent's challenge is writing good software or firmware, I think their challenge is the same as their competitors:  figuring out the functions and features (including User Interfaces) that are the most valuable for their customers.  I think once they identify the market requirements their next challenge is prioritizing the requirements.  At that point it's just a matter of getting those requirements into the upcoming releases (ie, managing resource constraints).

This in turn leads to the value of EEV forums - both for the manufacturers and the users.  To the extent we can describe with reasonable detail the required functions and features, and the reasoning/justification/benefits of those functions and features (especially the user benefits that could possibly produce a ROI for the users), the manufacturers can better prioritize their dev releases.  Might come down to which platforms have the most horsepower for performance and flexibility for expansion and which manufacturers have the best insight in terms of who to listen to.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
And yes, what you see in a trend chart should more or less be viewable in a histogram without recreating datasets.

Offline kado

• Regular Contributor
They copy most of the GUI and the layout from the well known Keysight devices but if you think one can get the same working power for less money you feel hit yourself with a knife in a finger.
Think you run a test measurement over 12 hours see the trend chard and you push one key to see the same data in a histogram all data are lost (futsch) and you start a new measurement! What a shit! I feel like a blizzard hit me at the first time this happened to me ( 2 years ago, but no one rant’s about this since release of this series ).

Karsten

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Maybe tautech can get Siglent to fix this.

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
Hi,

@kado ... this thread is not about Keysight or another A-brand, nor is it about Siglent-bashing.
One could certainly expect a better behavour for the amount of premium the A-brands ask for .... but they aren´t free of bugs and failures also.
Btw. I´m still waiting on an A to my (honest) Q to the -here also active- Keysight staffer what the added value could be in buying a Keysight device instead of a Siglent.
No answer is an answer too :--

Back to the Prob.
I generaly try to have the latest FW installed on my Siglents and it is rev. 3.01.01.06R2 on HW 01-01-00-05-00.
I appreciate very much that Siglent ´listens´ to what´s going on here and the help and support offered by Tautech.
Let´s just hope that Siglent fixes the Bug soon and releases a new FW rev.

regards
Calvin

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
Hi,

@kado ... this thread is not about Keysight or another A-brand, nor is it about Siglent-bashing.
One could certainly expect a better behavour for the amount of premium the A-brands ask for .... but they aren´t free of bugs and failures also.
Btw. I´m still waiting on an A to my (honest) Q to the -here also active- Keysight staffer what the added value could be in buying a Keysight device instead of a Siglent.
No answer is an answer too :--

Back to the Prob.
I generaly try to have the latest FW installed on my Siglents and it is rev. 3.01.01.06R2 on HW 01-01-00-05-00.
I appreciate very much that Siglent ´listens´ to what´s going on here and the help and support offered by Tautech.
Let´s just hope that Siglent fixes the Bug soon and releases a new FW rev.

regards
Calvin
I haven't had the time to get a unit out and check this behavior...........been away.
It needs writing up properly with examples or a vid before it's sent to the factory with a high priority for fixing.

If anyone wants to also do this it will add weight to the recommendation and assist in getting a faster fix.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillB

• Supporter
I don't have a SDM3065X but did test out the SDM3045X.  The device will reset data only if the data option is set to recent rather than all.  This option is the second soft button when in trend display mode.  When all is selected, I have no problems with accumulating data when I switch display modes.  I also tested this using EasyDMM and it behaved the same.

A couple of caveats that I didn't care for with EasyDMM:
1)  It will reset the device accumulation upon connection in Data Mode.
2)  It seemed to cause my device to hang at one point, where I had to cycle power.  (I could not get the device back to local control mode)
3)  At one point a few minutes in, the EasyDMM reported a query error and was not updating.  The device was still collecting, but upon reconnecting with EasyDMM, it reset the data.  Not cool.
4) EasyDMM (and maybe other EasyTools) are saving files with a .bmp extension, but are really .jpgs.  This causes problems with this forum, as it thinks the files are corrupt!

The first image shows where the option is.  The second shows the data accumulating across the display mode change.  The other images show Trend in EasyDMM and data and graphing using the app as well.

*** UPDATE ***
Testing the SDM3055 as well (both having latest firmware), it behaves just like the SDM3045X.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:25:34 pm by BillB »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Electro Fan, tautech

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
Hi,

The device will reset data only if the data option is set to recent rather than all.
With the SDM3065X the data is reset always when You change the display mode, regardless if set to Recent or All.
Even if You press the Diplay/Trend button out of the trend chart display and then return to trend chart all data is lost and restarts logging new data.  :wtf:
So it doesn´t even keep the data when you remain in the same display  :palm:
Haven´t checked with easy-DMM so far.

regards
Calvin
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:06:31 pm by Calvin »

Offline BillB

• Supporter
Even if You press the Diplay/Trend button out of the trend chart display and then return to trend chart all data is lost and restarts logging new data.  :wtf:
So it doesn´t even keep the data when you remain in the same display  :palm:
Haven´t checked with easy-DMM so far.

Well, as I updated below, the SDM3045X and SDM3055 keep the data just fine.  So, it seems like Siglent should be able to easily fix this for the SDM3065X.  The other meters do not lose the data even when going back to Number display mode, in fact, I almost feel like I'd like to know it is still trending all data.  But, there is no indicator anywhere that it is still capturing all the data.

While waiting for the fix, EasyDMM could allow you to change views on its local set of data as its capturing, but I hesitate to recommend it given how it handles query errors and interruptions in connection.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:00:55 pm by BillB »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
Hi,

yesterday I contacted the european Siglent support and reported the problem.
I already got an answer, that they forwarded the note to the SDM project manager to look into that problem.
Now that was fast and just what one could wish for.  :-+

regards
Calvin

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
Hi,

yesterday I contacted the european Siglent support and reported the problem.
I already got an answer, that they forwarded the note to the SDM project manager to look into that problem.
Now that was fast and just what one could wish for.  :-+

regards
Calvin
:)
Reported 2 days earlier.  :P
Reply:
if it is the bug, we will fix it
Added BillB's findings yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:04:06 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
Hi,

got no news so far .... does anybody else?

regards
Calvin

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
Hi,

got no news so far .... does anybody else?

regards
Calvin
No news yet and I check here everyday:
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/gjjrj.aspx?id=15
If I remember to post it in this thread I will otherwise it will be announced in the SDM3045X, 3055 and 3065X thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bson

• Supporter
I'm pretty sure they eat their own dog food - meaning they use their own instruments internally.  But maybe what's missing is a culture of engineers simply submitting a ticket when they see something that looks or works wrong or could be improved on.  Their engineers after all are no different from any other engineers, and it's always better to discover subtle problems or glitches internally than having your customers find them for you.  As usual there's only so much QA/QE can do, and advanced products need whole another level of vetting to become reliable and usable.

The following users thanked this post: kado

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
Hi,

got a note from Siglent.eu support, stating that "The issue has been reproduced, reported to R&D and will be fixed with the next FW. But I didn’t get a release date for the firmware."
Now let´s just hope that the next FW update is soon to b released.

regards
Calvin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf