Author Topic: Siglent SDS1000X HD 12bit DSO's  (Read 58250 times)

Antonio90, shapirus and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline sly2538

Re: Siglent SDS1000X HD coming
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2023, 11:07:07 am »
thanks !

Offline hofcake

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2023, 03:36:59 am »
Looks great. All depends on the price however. And hackability of course  8)

But with more than two channels active it is actually worse than the SDS1000X-E ??

Unfortunately the SDS2000X HD still remains uncracked (someone correct me if I am wrong).
Welcome to the forum.

Please stand corrected.  ;)
A deep hunt into the SDS2000X HD thread will provide some answers.

Well there go my excuses to *not* buy one...

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2023, 05:57:52 am »

But with more than two channels active it is actually worse than the SDS1000X-E ??

Unfortunately the SDS2000X HD still remains uncracked (someone correct me if I am wrong).
Welcome to the forum.

:-DD
Well mine has temporary options but that will change once I get a chance to sort them.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline hofcake

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2023, 12:03:24 am »

Welcome to the forum.

:-DD
Well mine has temporary options but that will change once I get a chance to sort them.  ;)

Thoughts on the display? Work spoiled us with MDO34s so I am used to working on a 1080p display. The resolution on these Siglents just seems a little bit on the low side.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2023, 03:46:19 am »
Thoughts on the display? Work spoiled us with MDO34s so I am used to working on a 1080p display. The resolution on these Siglents just seems a little bit on the low side.
No noticeable difference between SDS1000X HD and SDS2000X Plus, SDS2000X HD and SDS5000X that we've had the opportunity to become familiar with over the years. < all 10" touch and mouse capable displays.
However my aging eyes now like working with ch4, the green trace in preference to all others.

As these are 12 bit DSO's I can honestly state the traces are crisp and sharp as a tack !

These units are still in pre-release development so there could conceivably be improvements but at this time it would not be proper to say what/if there will be changes. NDA etc.  ;)

I did have a play with the webserver last evening which performed flawlessly for what I did with it.  :-X
Autodetect DNS to find a valid IP took just a wink of the eye.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2023, 04:00:44 pm »
Have you tried the current python script to produce license keys yet?

Not that that would carry over into production, but ..
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2023, 08:56:31 am »
Have you tried the current python script to produce license keys yet?
Yes.  :-X

And with some time to spend with it today it was time to check step response with the 10 MHz Bodnar fast pulser and this one is rated at just 30ps !  :o
Albeit this unit is the 200 MHz model and the 100 MHz model will be slower but a ~1.3ns risetime is not too bad.  :)

2 screenshots this time, one in Dot mode, the other Vectors mode.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2023, 04:10:29 am »
A member asked about ink saving inverted screenshots in some thread, so an example attached.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2023, 05:30:41 am »
So I have a hacked SDS1204X-E, and overall I love it. And for an upgrade I'd be looking at the SDS2104Xplus w/hack to 350MHz iirc. Maybe this summer, or next year, but there's no rush, it's just a luxury. But the way prices are going, maybe the sooner the better.

The SDS2104X HD is way too expensive for my hobby use. So how will these SDS1000X HD compare to the 2104Xplus ? Will they have the FFT mode ?

Offline ojete

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2023, 06:07:44 am »
Can you connect a usb wifi adapter like the tp link of the SDS1104X-E to get wifi or is it just wired lan?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2023, 06:40:36 am »
So I have a hacked SDS1204X-E, and overall I love it. And for an upgrade I'd be looking at the SDS2104Xplus w/hack to 350MHz iirc. Maybe this summer, or next year, but there's no rush, it's just a luxury. But the way prices are going, maybe the sooner the better.

The SDS2104X HD is way too expensive for my hobby use. So how will these SDS1000X HD compare to the 2104Xplus ? Will they have the FFT mode ?

There is a datasheet somewhere here...

In short, it will have same FFT as 2000X HD.
Also same 4 math ch,... So 4x2Mpts FFT at the same time.

It will have power analysis package too. Also front end voltage offset ranges from SDSD2000X HD that are better than most scopes out there regardless of the price...

In general biggest difference is  only one shared 1GS/s ADC and single shared 100MPts memory for all channels and digital channels and AWG are external.

Compared to SDS2000X Plus ?  If you are working a lot on pure analog stuff at low frequencies (power supplies for instance) SDS1000X HD is going to do better. For mixed signal and stuff that need higher BW and longer memory SDS2000X Plus will be better..
Tool for the job.

Truth is, if final released price will be good, you could have both  ...  >:D :-DD

The following users thanked this post: MathWizard

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2023, 06:54:30 am »
Can you connect a usb wifi adapter like the tp link of the SDS1104X-E to get wifi or is it just wired lan?

Wired... No official WiFi...

But with 500uV/div sensitivity and low noise front end would you really want  to add WiFi ??
In my lab, there is no WiFi in a room, and phones are taken out when I measure something seriously...

It might be convenient (and sometimes not a problem), but is not best option for high sensitivity measuring device.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2023, 07:28:09 am »

But with 500uV/div sensitivity and low noise front end would you really want  to add WiFi ??
In my lab, there is no WiFi in a room, and phones are taken out when I measure something seriously...

It might be convenient (and sometimes not a problem), but is not best option for high sensitivity measuring device.
Yet we have no reports of any excessive noise when using WiFi and the 4ch SDS1000X-E......a 200 MHz design has to do darn well to display 2.4 GHz signals.....
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2023, 07:33:36 am »

Yet we have no reports of any excessive noise when using WiFi and the 4ch SDS1000X-E......a 200 MHz design has to do darn well to display 2.4 GHz signals.....

It won't display 2.4GHz signal but demodulation artifacts... Similar to chirping you hear in computer speakers close to the phone...

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

Offline dophuc

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2023, 07:39:34 am »
Sorry but I'm curious what measurements make you worried about interference by wifi ? :)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2023, 08:48:18 am »
Sorry but I'm curious what measurements make you worried about interference by wifi ? :)
Depends. Most of the time it's not important. But sometimes you are measuring something low level. Or fighting some EMC problem...
Or simply verifying how instrument performs.. You might have seen discussions here about spurs and noise floor levels on scopes and SA for instance....

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2023, 08:59:04 am »
In short, it will have same FFT as 2000X HD.
Also same 4 math ch,... So 4x2Mpts FFT at the same time.

Hmm....
As one of the "first" who wanted to have four channels, I should be lucky they will come(and I am.. ;) )
But I remember that it was not yet an issue with the 2000X plus, for performance reasons.
That is why the Siglent/lecroy models up to the wavesurfer 4000HD do not have four math channels.
Now it should be possible...
The HD goes with 2 FFT simultaneously already noticeably down in speed - And then four.....I'm curious whether the developers could still optimize something, so that the performance does not completely collapse in such a case.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2023, 09:16:17 am »
The HD goes with 2 FFT simultaneously already noticeably down in speed - And then four.....I'm curious whether the developers could still optimize something, so that the performance does not completely collapse in such a case.
Yes it can need some horsepower.....although you/we are in control so if results are slow coming it is easy to make adjustments to FFT depth and/or main memory depth.
The trade off is fast or precise results just like we can do with Bode Plot. (# points)

The designers/engineers give us the tools but then it is up to us how to best use them.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2023, 12:50:52 pm »

Here is one example (SDS1000X HD).
3.665MHz carrier. Modulated with 1kHz and modualtion depth 2% (sidebands -40dBc)
All 4 FFT simultaneously with same settings. Input only to CH1 (F1)
4 FFT's all have 2Mpts  (Δf 3.97Hz)  And as can see "RBW" is 14.82  (flattop window in use)  (time domain t/div is 50ms/div)
(note that time domain decimated samplerate is 50MSa/s  and FFT samplerate 8.33MSa/s  (1:6)

Yes, processing takes time...just for example, this FFT window update period is 6.8s but time domanin acquisition / trigger in this case around 1s.
Slow for one is fast for some other. Also there is not free lounges.

But then, lets keep some just for fun..

Now there is full span 0- 4.167MHz. I will try with SA... there is not available just same RBW but with 30Hz RBW  127s and with 10Hz RBW  394s.
So what is slow and what is fast..

But naturally if set SA (SSA3021X)  for 10kHz span and 10Hz RBW it is faster. Around 1s. Naturally due to its working principle. (in this case its FFT "sweep" handle 4pcs 3kHz slices, 262.348ms each one))

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 02:36:01 pm by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, tautech, 2N3055, Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2023, 11:14:12 pm »
Yes it can need some horsepower.....although you/we are in control so if results are slow coming it is easy to make adjustments to FFT depth and/or main memory depth.
The trade off is fast or precise results just like we can do with Bode Plot. (# points)

The designers/engineers give us the tools but then it is up to us how to best use them.  ;)

And if that's not enough, we'll buy another scope from someone who can. ;)

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2023, 02:56:42 pm »
Well I eagerly await these to release. Although I do want a scope with higher than 200MHz BW, and a bigger screen, most things I'm doing are much slower.

But IDK tho, it might not be enough of an upgrade over my sds1204x-e
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 03:02:02 pm by MathWizard »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2023, 09:03:39 pm »
Well I eagerly await these to release. Although I do want a scope with higher than 200MHz BW, and a bigger screen, most things I'm doing are much slower.

But IDK tho, it might not be enough of an upgrade over my sds1204x-e
Trust me it is although loss of WiFi connectivity might be a deal breaker for some.

However cost will determine if the upgrade is worth it but just being able to work directly with a mouse is very useful even if you don't use the touch screen.
The UI is somewhat different to X-E however the basic structure of menus is quite similar as it should be.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2023, 12:13:15 am »
Quick size comparison between SDS1000X HD and SDS1104X-E that nicely fits atop of it.
Big daddy SDS6204A watching in the background.  :)

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2023, 12:19:54 am »
Titillating!
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2023, 12:42:03 am »
Can it still run a USB cable or network cable to a PC ? Does it still has the webrowser interface?

The mouse option sounds nice, thats on the SDS2000xplus also. When are the offical spec's expected? I have the datasheet for the SDS1204X-E. If I was to get the SDS1000HD, I'd probably sell the 1204, then down the road get a higher BW SDS2104Xplus/ I seem to remember it having more options or something over the MSO5000.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf