Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X HD, missing Features and Bugs  (Read 53981 times)

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent SDS2000X HD, missing Features and Bugs
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2023, 10:43:19 pm »
Found the decription in the SDS6000A manual - page 260-262

I am pretty sure that the manual will be revised.
It is still the first version, it also lacks the descriptions for the digital filters and memory management that were added in the first firmware update.
Now 2 more math channels, ARINC decoding, memory channels have been added.
I think it will soon be worthwhile to revise the manual again.

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: October 15, 2023, 08:07:12 am »
And a bugfix not listed in the revision I also discovered:
The save message now disappears by itself again.... :-+
Not only that - it is now fully configurable to meet everyone's taste and habits.

You can have the path tip permanently visible until you close it, let it automatically fade out after a user configurable time out - or never show it at all.

Personally, I prefer "Fade" after 3 seconds.

SDS2504X HD_Pathtip

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, KungFuJosh, Martin72, Ulrich.G

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2023, 09:29:47 am »
I find I need to bring up side-screen ACQUIRE menu frequently. But there's no hardware key and one need to hassle click [Acquire] then [Menu] or [Timebase] on the screen bottom then [Acquire] .

Given that almost all commands on the menu bar have a second-layer MENU option that brings up the menu on the side screen, I'd like to suggest allowing a single click on a menu command to bring up both its drop-down menu and the side bar dialog box simultaneously. This change would save one step of clicking the MENU command for drop-down menus.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 01:40:30 pm by teddychn »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2023, 10:30:22 am »
I find I need to bring up side-screen ACQUIRE menu frequently. But there's no hardware key and one need to hassle click [Acquire] then [Acquire] or [Timebase] on the screen bottom then [Acquire] .

Given that almost all commands on the menu bar have a second-layer MENU option that brings up the menu on the side screen, I'd like to suggest allowing a single click on a menu command to bring up both its drop-down menu and the side bar dialog box simultaneously. This change would save one step of clicking the MENU command for drop-down menus.

For shortcut, Tap on Timebase -> Acquire menu...

As for flyout menus... hmm.. some like them some not...

As for automatic change, I personally would not like that.

The way it is now I can have Channel setup on the right and go to upper menu , tap DIsplay, disable Persistence and still have my Channel setup on the right where I left it and keep doing what I was doing..

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2023, 02:14:32 pm »
I find I need to bring up side-screen ACQUIRE menu frequently. But there's no hardware key and one need to hassle click [Acquire] then [Menu] or [Timebase] on the screen bottom then [Acquire] .
can't you do this with the "quick action" button ?

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2023, 09:52:52 am »

Nope, it doesn't come with this option. I've already assigned QuickAction to switch trigger slope, which is very useful for me. I have to say, I really appreciate Siglent for placing all the keys for Normal, Auto, Single, and Roll modes on the panel. It saves me a lot of time when switching between these modes.

Perhaps I didn't fully grasp the advantage of the menu buttons on the screen. Most of the layer-2 menu buttons seem redundant to me, except for those under Utility and Math options. Take the Acquire option, for example. If a single click could bring up the drop-down menu and side-bar dialog simultaneously, why bother using the Menu key again? If this change wouldn't complicate the operation, I think it's worth discussing. I understand that making changes is a significant undertaking, and Siglent can't please every user. However, if they believe it's worthwhile, it's something to consider.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2023, 10:37:37 am »

Nope, it doesn't come with this option. I've already assigned QuickAction to switch trigger slope, which is very useful for me. I have to say, I really appreciate Siglent for placing all the keys for Normal, Auto, Single, and Roll modes on the panel. It saves me a lot of time when switching between these modes.

Perhaps I didn't fully grasp the advantage of the menu buttons on the screen. Most of the layer-2 menu buttons seem redundant to me, except for those under Utility and Math options. Take the Acquire option, for example. If a single click could bring up the drop-down menu and side-bar dialog simultaneously, why bother using the Menu key again? If this change wouldn't complicate the operation, I think it's worth discussing. I understand that making changes is a significant undertaking, and Siglent can't please every user. However, if they believe it's worthwhile, it's something to consider.

Did you see my answer?
It is two touches away.
How is that hassle?

You cannot expect a product manufacturer will customize GUI to one user (in this case you)  or they will try to make GUI that is universal and allows access to many functions with relative ease....

There are many functions and they have to organized in hierarchy. Why? Because there are thousands of them and you can't have them in on linear array of buttons.  We need screen for actual waveform...

Also, because of Web interface, all the functions that exist on physical front panel (buttons and knobs) have to have on screen representation. In addition to that having alternative ways to call up some function can be useful sometimes

OTOH I will bring up to Siglent a wish that more options be added to Quick button, including Acquire. More options cannot hurt.. And they reorganized menus occasionally when they added many new features and they needed to do it. We'll see.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2023, 12:24:26 pm »
Did you see my answer?
It is two touches away.
How is that hassle?

You cannot expect a product manufacturer will customize GUI to one user (in this case you)  or they will try to make GUI that is universal and allows access to many functions with relative ease....

There are many functions and they have to organized in hierarchy. Why? Because there are thousands of them and you can't have them in on linear array of buttons.  We need screen for actual waveform...

Also, because of Web interface, all the functions that exist on physical front panel (buttons and knobs) have to have on screen representation. In addition to that having alternative ways to call up some function can be useful sometimes

OTOH I will bring up to Siglent a wish that more options be added to Quick button, including Acquire. More options cannot hurt.. And they reorganized menus occasionally when they added many new features and they needed to do it. We'll see.

Yes, I have seen your answer. And I feel maybe I shold express my logic clearer. That's why the three pictures were attached above.

My point is, I don't know the advantage of the Menu bottons, maybe somebody can let me understand. But if they are redundant, why can't we bring up the drop-down menu and side-bar dialog with just a click. Besides, that won't change any UI arrangement. Maybe you can tell me what I was wrong. But befor taht, I wold still say that two clikcs is more hassle than one click.

It's just my personal thought with these day's experience. I don't expect Siglent can take my idea. If they won't, it's not a big deal. Just like you've said, two touchs is not that hassel.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 12:26:15 pm by teddychn »

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2023, 01:17:11 pm »
Did you see my answer?
It is two touches away.
How is that hassle?

Yes, I have seen your answer. And I feel maybe I shold express my logic clearer. That's why the three pictures were attached above.

My point is, I don't know the advantage of the Menu bottons, maybe somebody can let me understand. But if they are redundant, why can't we bring up the drop-down menu and side-bar dialog with just a click. Besides, that won't change any UI arrangement. Maybe you can tell me what I was wrong. But befor taht, I wold still say that two clikcs is more hassle than one click.

It's just my personal thought with these day's experience. I don't expect Siglent can take my idea. If they won't, it's not a big deal. Just like you've said, two touchs is not that hassel.

Thank you for explaing.

I already explained how everything is compromise. I'm sorry you cannot see logic behind menu system. I personally do. It might not be ideal but is based on logic, certainly.
It is based on combination of hierarchy and shortcuts. It is also a platform. I have SDS6000H12 and it uses same basic platform.
So platform is superset.
On SDS6000A you have physical Acquire button.

And when you have such a sophisticated system, just 2 clicks is fast....

And fact that SDS2000X HD and SDS6000H12 drives exactly the same is very, very big time saver.

And don't think Siglent won't listen to suggestion if it is feasible and is good one.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2023, 07:30:10 pm »
My point is, I don't know the advantage of the Menu bottons, maybe somebody can let me understand. But if they are redundant, why can't we bring up the drop-down menu and side-bar dialog with just a click.
That's a good idea and something we should investigate as an option.

What we need be careful not to do is to hide dropdown menu items with any changes so maybe 2 modes can be identified as user and webserver modes (existing = returned with Default)

A suggestion would be for menu buttons to be configurable to auto open the side bar menu, perhaps in the Utility System menu.
ie, touch/click menu and the full side bar opens

Can I ask do you use touch or a mouse for work with the menus ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2023, 10:42:18 am »
Thank you for explaing.

I already explained how everything is compromise. I'm sorry you cannot see logic behind menu system. I personally do. It might not be ideal but is based on logic, certainly.
It is based on combination of hierarchy and shortcuts. It is also a platform. I have SDS6000H12 and it uses same basic platform.
So platform is superset.

And fact that SDS2000X HD and SDS6000H12 drives exactly the same is very, very big time saver.

And don't think Siglent won't listen to suggestion if it is feasible and is good one.

Sorry for the late reply. Before responding to this post, I wanted to try the web UI on both the 2000X HD and 2000X Plus, both at home and in the office. However, I still can't grasp your point. The web control looks just the same on the touch screen here. So, I'm not sure if this idea violates any aspect of the menu design.

I'm not debating whether two steps are actually a hassle. If someone uses this function frequently, even saving one step is sensible. Sensibility is always subjective. I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't have used the word "hassle." If it is, please forgive me. English is not my native language, so I may not express my thoughts precisely.

What we need be careful not to do is to hide dropdown menu items with any changes so maybe 2 modes can be identified as user and webserver modes (existing = returned with Default)

A suggestion would be for menu buttons to be configurable to auto open the side bar menu, perhaps in the Utility System menu.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't intent to make the UI different. Just wanted to give an input for reference. I believe Siglent absolutely has their professional determine the design and priority.

I usually use touch for the menus because my work desktop isn't mouse-friendly.

I think I might not fully understand the behavior of the web control, so I'm unsure about how opening the side bar dialog simultaneously could hide the dropdown menu. Nevertheless, it's just an idea, and I don't wish to complicate matters.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2023, 11:26:30 am »
Thank you for explaing.

So platform is superset.

Sorry for the late reply. Before responding to this post, I wanted to try the web UI on both the 2000X HD and 2000X Plus, both at home and in the office. However, I still can't grasp your point. The web control looks just the same on the touch screen here. So, I'm not sure if this idea violates any aspect of the menu design.

I'm not debating whether two steps are actually a hassle. If someone uses this function frequently, even saving one step is sensible. Sensibility is always subjective. I'm thinking that maybe I shouldn't have used the word "hassle." If it is, please forgive me. English is not my native language, so I may not express my thoughts precisely.

First of all don't apologize for asking questions and making comments. You are very polite and by no means I disrespect your opinion.
We might have misunderstanding here. Touch screen and Web will be exactly the same. What I meant is that when you work remotely, you don't have ANY of buttons and knobs. And since WEB only shows what is on the screen, GUI has to be made that you can actually use scope completely without knobs. And that means that on screen you need to have all of the stuff that should be on the screen, and surrogate (replacements, proxies) screen elements and functions that are usually on the knobs.

Organizing all that in several layers is hard work and art. There are hundreds of functions, choices, parameters, menus...

As to your  1-2 touch comment, I do understand. On the other hand, my experience is that when I do it all the time it becomes fast and automatic.. Example: single VS double click with a mouse... I also did not dismiss your opinion but shared my experience: once you touch Trig, Acq button pops up 10mm away, so I press it practically in same movement.  If ACQ touch popped on the other side of screen that would bother me too.

And I do use it a lot, because I change ACQ settings all the time while testing stuff.
So I don't find it slowing me down in use after I got used to it. It is completely automatic.

Funny point, I also have SDS6000H12 that has physical ACQUIRE button. And at first SDS2000X HD did not have this Trig-ACQ shortcut. I was missing that button from 6000 so much. After they added the Trig-Acq shortcut it was soo much better than going into menu. So I was testing SD2000X HD for a week, and then I realized that on SDS6000H12 I was not using ACQ button anymore, but Trig-Acq shortcut, reflexively out of habit......  :-DD....

OTOH, I do see how other people will have different thresholds.

Like promised, I did suggest to Siglent to add more functions to Quick button. And few more things were discussed so we will see if there is any fruit from the effort.

Best,
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 11:28:27 am by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: teddychn

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2023, 01:56:46 pm »
I also have SDS6000H12 that has physical ACQUIRE button.

Off topic - but where did you guys buy this equipment? You imported them directly from China?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2023, 02:50:37 pm »
I also have SDS6000H12 that has physical ACQUIRE button.

Off topic - but where did you guys buy this equipment? You imported them directly from China?

That one came from China, yes.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2023, 04:11:23 pm »

Thanks for your reply. I didn't intent to make the UI different. Just wanted to give an input for reference. I believe Siglent absolutely has their professional determine the design and priority.

I usually use touch for the menus because my work desktop isn't mouse-friendly.

I think I might not fully understand the behavior of the web control, so I'm unsure about how opening the side bar dialog simultaneously could hide the dropdown menu. Nevertheless, it's just an idea, and I don't wish to complicate matters.
All sound ideas are worth considering.

After some thought and experiments I have suggested tap of the top level dropdown menus activate the side menu.
This can be an advantage for users preferring to use touch however with mouse use directly on the scope or via the webserver there is little to be gained as the 2nd click to bring up the menu is no large penalty.

Ideas of making this configurable are now abandoned as it adds complexity to what is already an efficient UI however a single touch/click of the top level dropdown to access the menu could be of benefit for those only using touch.

Yet if like 2N3055 proposes, more functionality be added to the Quick button this could be a solution also.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2023, 09:57:07 am »

As to your  1-2 touch comment, I do understand. On the other hand, my experience is that when I do it all the time it becomes fast and automatic.. Example: single VS double click with a mouse... I also did not dismiss your opinion but shared my experience: once you touch Trig, Acq button pops up 10mm away, so I press it practically in same movement.  If ACQ touch popped on the other side of screen that would bother me too.

And I do use it a lot, because I change ACQ settings all the time while testing stuff.
So I don't find it slowing me down in use after I got used to it. It is completely automatic.

Funny point, I also have SDS6000H12 that has physical ACQUIRE button. And at first SDS2000X HD did not have this Trig-ACQ shortcut. I was missing that button from 6000 so much. After they added the Trig-Acq shortcut it was soo much better than going into menu. So I was testing SD2000X HD for a week, and then I realized that on SDS6000H12 I was not using ACQ button anymore, but Trig-Acq shortcut, reflexively out of habit......  :-DD....

Thanks for the elaboration. I think I've got your point. But I guess the Trig-Acq you mentioned should refer to Timebase-Acq.

Just played around with the Timebase and Trigger tabs which at the bottom of the screen. Since both Timebase and its Acquire tab are big enough, they make the Timebase-Acquire operation easier than the Acquire-Menu. Now I realize why the Acquire tab was located under the Timebase dialog. Timebase and Trigger are more of shortcuts. And Siglent should include your tips in their menu. :)

Besides, having too many useful options in QuickAction will definitely trigger my decision paralysis.  :D

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2023, 10:58:24 am »
Besides, having too many useful options in QuickAction will definitely trigger my decision paralysis.  :D

;D
Absolutely.

Offline Ulrich.G

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: October 31, 2023, 09:14:36 am »
FW 1.2.2.5

Switched on my scope for the first time since the clock changed to winter time (Timezone Europe/Berlin). The scope is connected to the internet, shouldn't the scope time also change to winter time?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 09:16:13 am by Ulrich.G »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #268 on: October 31, 2023, 10:37:11 am »
seems there is no ntp sync on the scope ... and no daylight saving time either

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #269 on: October 31, 2023, 12:52:22 pm »
Wanted FFT feature:

I would still like to be able to display the harmonics in % instead of dB (in the table), then you would not have to convert it again.
The absolute crowning glory would of course be a THD display, even if it is to be enjoyed with caution.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #270 on: October 31, 2023, 02:57:50 pm »
Wanted FFT feature:

I would still like to be able to display the harmonics in % instead of dB (in the table), then you would not have to convert it again.
The absolute crowning glory would of course be a THD display, even if it is to be enjoyed with caution.

:popcorn:

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #271 on: November 10, 2023, 10:58:20 pm »
I find now it doesn't show FFT peaks in the peaks list. Not sure if it's the symptom of firmware 1.2.2.5?

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #272 on: November 10, 2023, 11:09:37 pm »
Hi,

I can't imagine that you haven't done it, but I'll ask anyway:
Did you set the threshold level appropriately to be able to detect the peaks ?

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #273 on: November 11, 2023, 01:25:12 am »

An other place where I would like to be able to change the units is the bode plot function. It would be nice if one could just change the dB scale to impedance.
Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Offline teddychn

• Contributor
« Reply #274 on: November 11, 2023, 03:31:16 pm »
hanks, Martin, it works. I've never set the threshold before. Maybe restoring the default settings after the upgrade revealed the situation. It's actually my fault.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf