Author Topic: Siglent SDS6000A DSO's 500MHz-2GHz  (Read 61442 times)

Offline maxwelllls

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS6000A DSO's 500MHz-2GHz
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2021, 02:04:07 pm »
Hello the, we just got the unit, I like to share a nice picture of it, by the way the front cover comes as standard with the oscilloscope  :-+

So please report to us, what probes you may use and any nice fast pulse measurements (as Bodnar fast pulse 40..50ps) to show...

Hp

So no beef seen so far (no tear down or test reports), all waiting for the SDS6000 Pro for any better bits... or are those all out of turtles budged  :-//

I have an SDS6104 H12 Pro, 1Ghz, 5Gsa/s, 12bit, RF signal source (output amplitude is not very accurate), but there is no HIGH frequency probe adapted to SDS6000, only some RF feeders, which may provide some test data you want to know. Please let me know the specific test method and I will try it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 02:12:12 pm by maxwelllls »

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2021, 02:19:39 pm »
Wish we could get these here in NA :-[

If you don't mind could you do a classic two tone IMD test. Maybe a 1MHz and 1.01MHz signals fed thru 1K resistors with 100 ohm shunt. Perform an FFT that shows the tones and the 3rd order IMD products at 0.99MHz and 1.02MHz. This will revel the input channel and ADC performance and how well the new scope can be utilized as a low frequency spectrum analyzer.

Anyway, you are the envy of us with your new SDS6104 H12 Pro, congratulations :-+

Best
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline maxwelllls

• Contributor
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2021, 11:20:13 am »
Two tone IMD test results, but I do not know which parameters to pay attention to.
3dB bandwidth is about 1.2ghz,
ADC noise is 1.5mV,
ENOB: I don't know how to take the test
When four channels are enabled at the same time, the sampling rate is reduced to 2.5Gsas
ERES can be enhanced 0.5 to 3 bits,
0.5Bits: <-1db@1Ghz
1Bits: -3 db @ 500 MHZ, <-1 db @ 300 MHZ
3Bits: -3 db @ 40 MHZ, <-1db@30Mhz
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 01:17:07 pm by maxwelllls »

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2021, 12:49:46 pm »

Well,

the world is not only on Sinus, Square waves with rise time & overshoots as using low capacity probes (active probes) would show the beef.

A good past (30..50ps rising square wave)  as using the https://www.leobodnar.com would show more about.

Currently also no data given from the new 1.0 & 2.0 GHz FET probes... rise time, overshoots...

Hp

Offline maxwelllls

• Contributor
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2021, 01:36:23 pm »

Well,

the world is not only on Sinus, Square waves with rise time & overshoots as using low capacity probes (active probes) would show the beef.

A good past (30..50ps rising square wave)  as using the https://www.leobodnar.com would show more about.

Currently also no data given from the new 1.0 & 2.0 GHz FET probes... rise time, overshoots...

Hp
I just placed an order for a similar product, this is the schematic, it looks like it should work

Regarding ERES, I did some additional tests, using a 1V/div range to test a 100mV signal. After zooming in and observing the waveform, the signal noise is significantly reduced, but the waveform has no obvious distortion.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 01:51:09 pm by maxwelllls »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2021, 01:53:21 pm »
This looks like the 3rd Order IMD products are about 65dB down, which is OK but was hoping to see something like ~75dB.

Thanks for taking the time for the measurements.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2021, 02:33:08 pm »

OK, you are at 1MHz... 10Mhz and 100MHz would tell much more and faster pulses with larger swings would tell more bout.

Hp

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2021, 04:14:16 pm »

Well,

Hp
I just placed an order for a similar product, this is the schematic, it looks like it should work

Regarding ERES, I did some additional tests, using a 1V/div range to test a 100mV signal. After zooming in and observing the waveform, the signal noise is significantly reduced, but the waveform has no obvious distortion.

Don't think this is what you expect, the edges are very slow. The time sweep is 200ns/div according to the display. Could be the fast rise/fall pulse generator is not working properly, maybe the transistor is not achieving a collector base junction complete avalanche breakdown.

Best,
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 04:25:02 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2021, 04:19:34 pm »

OK, you are at 1MHz... 10Mhz and 100MHz would tell much more and faster pulses with larger swings would tell more bout.

Hp
So would changing the input BW limiter to Full.  ;)

Yet maxwelllls SDS6000 Pro is just the 1 GHz model so apart from the additional bits and different memory management it will perform similar to a SDS5104X and this is mine with Leo's pulser.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, mawyatt

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2021, 04:26:52 pm »
Yep, good spot tautech :-+

I completely missed that!!

Best
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2021, 04:33:19 pm »
Hello,

Maxwelllls wrote: "Regarding ERES, I did some additional tests, using a 1V/div range to test a 100mV signal"

The noise is impressive low.

Best regards
egonotto

• Super Contributor
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2021, 04:48:47 pm »
Yep, good spot tautech :-+

I completely missed that!!

Best
Another thing you missed.....
This China only model has an English UI unlike the SDS3000 from a few years back that I fiddled with at the factory.

I can envisage a few 6k Pro models somehow finding their way to western shores.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2021, 05:28:27 pm »

@Tautech

Any information spec's available for new the FET probes 6000 models as 1.0 & 2.0 GHz ... rise time, overshoots... ??

Hp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2021, 07:57:05 pm »

@Tautech

Any information spec's available for new the FET probes 6000 models as 1.0 & 2.0 GHz ... rise time, overshoots... ??

Hp
Only User Manuals.
SAP1000
https://int.siglent.com/article/detail-131.html
SAP2500
https://int.siglent.com/article/detail-772.html
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2021, 06:32:54 am »
This looks like the 3rd Order IMD products are about 65dB down, which is OK but was hoping to see something like ~75dB.
Why would you expect the 3rd order dynamic range to be any different from e.g. the SDS2000X Plus?

With a higher resolution ADC, you get less granular noise, hence a wider first order dynamic range.

In contrast, the third order dynamic range is determined solely by the linearity of the ADC. There is no reason why an 8 bit ADC could not provide the same linearity as a 12 bit variant.

Of course, if you imagine a constant +/-1 LSB INL specification, then the higher resolution ADC will be more linear. But the ADCs in modern scopes are calibrated – have you ever asked yourself why self-cal takes so long? – and consequently even the 8 bit models have a fairly good linearity. This is also absolutely necessary, otherwise  any resolution enhancement measures like ERES or long FFT would not yield any sensible results.

Finally, the linearity and consequently the third order dynamic range is not determined by the ADC alone, but also the frontend. It should be pretty obvious that a 1 GHz or even 2 GHz frontend might not be able to provide the absolutely best linearity, as there are other challenges as well. Figures around 60 dB aren’t bad at all and vastly exceed the standards for hifi audio equipment 😉

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, maxwelllls

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2021, 02:50:10 pm »
Why would you expect the 3rd order dynamic range to be any different from e.g. the SDS2000X Plus?

Simply because of the 12 bit ADC in some of the SDS6000 variants!

With a higher resolution ADC, you get less granular noise, hence a wider first order dynamic range.

Agree, you should see less granular noise and thus better DR.

In contrast, the third order dynamic range is determined solely by the linearity of the ADC. There is no reason why an 8 bit ADC could not provide the same linearity as a 12 bit variant.

Completely Wrong!! The linearity is dictated by the entire analog chain including attenuators (MOS switches), preamps, VGA, buffers and ADC, not solely by the ADC as you state.

Of course, if you imagine a constant +/-1 LSB INL specification, then the higher resolution ADC will be more linear. But the ADCs in modern scopes are calibrated – have you ever asked yourself why self-cal takes so long? – and consequently even the 8 bit models have a fairly good linearity. This is also absolutely necessary, otherwise  any resolution enhancement measures like ERES or long FFT would not yield any sensible results.

Self calibration is not a "fix" for a poorly performing system, and can do little to correct the non-linearity of the entire channel before the ADC that is usually frequency, waveform and amplitude dependent. With sensitive signals present with much larger signals one must be concerned are all the waveform details real or an artifact of the system nonlinearity??

[/quote]

Finally, the linearity and consequently the third order dynamic range is not determined by the ADC alone, but also the frontend. It should be pretty obvious that a 1 GHz or even 2 GHz frontend might not be able to provide the absolutely best linearity, as there are other challenges as well. Figures around 60 dB aren’t bad at all and vastly exceed the standards for hifi audio equipment 😉

Good you corrected your earlier erroneous statement!!

Don't work with audio so can't say, but things we've developed during my career 60dB isn't nearly good enough. We've done various custom dedicated application real time spectrum analyzers with custom chips, high dynamic range wide-band receivers, and many other systems often pushing 100db or more.

Ever wonder why Real Time Spectrum Analyzers don't use 8 bit ADCs ???

They use the highest resolution ADCs available that meet the intended bandwidth, to help achieve the necessary dynamic range. No one is going to buy a RTSA based upon an 8 bit ADC  :P

These ADCs are quite expensive and fundamentally why RTSA (and 12 bit scopes) are more expensive. There are some new type ADCs that we were fortunately involved with back in ~2010, that may prove highly beneficial for applications like Electronic Warfare, high DR wide-band receivers, and likely later filtering down to scopes & RTSA. Waveform information is quantized simultaneously in time and amplitude, and offers a unique means of achieving higher DR at higher frequencies, also the anti-aliasing filter is post ADC conversion. The actual input waveform creates the unique properties with this ADC, and the waveform dictates its' own "Nyquist" requirement not fixed as in conventional ADCs. Anyway, well outside this thread on the new SDS6000.

Best,
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 03:10:15 pm by mawyatt »
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2021, 05:37:38 pm »
No need to go overboard…

Initially I was talking about the ADC exclusively, because this would be the obvious difference between a 12 bit SDS6000 H12 Pro and any other Siglent DSO, e.g. an 8 bit SDS5000X.
Later, I’ve expanded the picture to the entire acquisition system, including the frontend.

Yes, the hifi audio standards come from the sixties of the last century and nobody considers them to be relevant any more. All I wanted to illustrate is the fact that there were times, where an intermodulation distortion of -60 dB would have been a fancy figure even at very low frequencies of just a couple kHz. Hence also the smiley.

Anyway, my main statement was that intermodulation distortion is a matter of linearity, not resolution.

And I’ve tried to remind all readers that in this regard the 8 bit ADCs are almost es good as the 12 bit ones, as there is not a lot of difference between the 8 and 12 bit models and the 8 bit models perform significantly better than wat would usually be expected from an average 8 bit system.

We can get pretty good intermodulation figures for audio systems nowadays, the same goes for narrowband HF applications like communication receivers and swept spectrum analyzers for a long time, where the high end instruments could reach more than 110 dB third order dynamic range, but for ultra-wideband circuits like a DSO frontend it’s not that easy.

I’ve never stated that we won’t need a high resolution ADC for better spectrum analysis. It’s just that the intermodulation distortion of all things is the least related to ADC resolution.

So, the rhetoric question why spectrum analyzers don’t use 8 bit ADCs is easily answered:

1.   Even the cheapest/oldest/crappiest SA is supposed to have a first order dynamic range of about 70 dB, so 12 bits would be a bare minimum to achieve that. And we actually want significantly more nowadays.
2.   Harmonic distortion. Other than intermodulation distortion, which can be quite a bit better, total harmonic distortion will always exceed 0.4% (-48 dB) in an 8 bit system. This would not be acceptable, especially not in a wideband application like an RTSA.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2021, 06:41:42 pm »
Not going overboard when in context someone makes a statement like this:

"In contrast, the third order dynamic range is determined solely by the linearity of the ADC. There is no reason why an 8 bit ADC could not provide the same linearity as a 12 bit variant"

This could certainly confuse some even tho you corrected it later. Why even use such a egregious statement in the first place |O

If you followed my reasoning and questions regarding the new SDS6000 H12 Pro in previous posts, it's always been about DR in regard to Spectrum Analysis. Here's what was said when asking the two owners of this new scope that kindly offered to make the two tone measurements:

"This will revel the input channel and ADC performance and how well the new scope can be utilized as a low frequency spectrum analyzer."

Think this clearly states what our interest was in the additional resolution offered by the 12 bit ADC wrt the SA use case.

BTW I haven't seen much improvement with our two SDS2000X+ using ERES to "enhance" the resolution wrt the two tone tests, and to be honest was hoping this would improve the DR with the new SDS6000 H12 Pro. After more testing and such I'm sure we'll have a better idea if this is true.

Having a wideband front end, whether a scope for receiver certainly does place a more difficult design task on the designers and exactly why we were interested in the two-tone tests on these new SDS6000 and not only the ADC DR specs.

Siglent has done a superb job with the SDS2000X+ front end design, well the entire scope IMO. So suspect the new scope would benefit from the SDS2000X+ design in many ways, including the front end.

Also agree the SDS2000X+ "behaves" well beyond what a knowledgable person would "expect" from just an 8 bit ADC system :-+

Best,

~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline maxwelllls

• Contributor
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2021, 06:23:46 am »
The fast Pulse test results are shown in the figure below
The ERES has no improvement effect on the two tone test even a little bit of deterioration

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2021, 06:59:53 am »
Can you repeat the rise time measurement with 50Ohm input impedance (instead of 1MOhm)?
A note (perhaps not for you but for those who don't have a fast rise time generator): An ADF4351 dev. board that can be obtained for cheap can do a ~70ps rise time (and it can also serve as a cheap signal source).

Offline maxwelllls

• Contributor
« Reply #170 on: December 21, 2021, 09:25:49 am »
The amplitude of the pulse generator is too high. Now I have added a 10dB attenuator for a new test (50ohm). The waveform is as follows.
The second picture shows the results of a test using tek MSO54
BTW:A two-tone test with MSO54 gave a result around -75dB
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:37:10 pm by maxwelllls »

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: December 21, 2021, 02:06:29 pm »
BTW:A two-tone test with MSO54 gave a result around -75dB

Thanks for doing these tests. With the MS054 attenuator the difference between the two tone peak and 3rd IMD ~75dB down, this is better since the previous display shows ~66dB down. If you don't mind and have the time could you show the FFT plot with the attenuator?

If this 10dB improvement in IMD two tone is due to the input attenuator, then this might point to the input amp chain limiting or becoming non-linear on the signal peaks.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline maxwelllls

• Contributor
« Reply #172 on: December 21, 2021, 02:55:01 pm »
The attenuator is not used in the dual-tone test, which is exactly the same as the SDS6000 test method. The difference of 10dB is only the difference of ADC performance

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #173 on: December 21, 2021, 04:53:30 pm »
Ok, think I understand now. The 2 tone test did not use the attenuator on either the Siglent or Tek scopes, the Siglent showed ~66dB down and the Tek ~75dB down IMD tones, both of which are true 12 Bit ADCs.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: December 25, 2021, 09:14:58 pm »
@maxwelllls,

For the license generator, use these SDS6000 model strings:

ZDL-HD-LP
ZDL-HD-1G

PS: there are also references to some new devices (??): NeZha and ATOM

The following users thanked this post: Emo, luudee

Share me