Author Topic: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus  (Read 1857353 times)

Offline jsykes

• Contributor
Re: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus
« Reply #1075 on: September 06, 2013, 03:38:11 pm »
Does unlocking the DP832 enable the multicolor and more intuitive GUI that the 832A has? I think Dave mentioned in his video that the TFT hardware is the same.

Short answer: NO.  This and many similar questions have already been answered in this thread.

As for "more intuitive GUI that the 832A has" -- that is seriously a matter of personal opinion!  I think the 832 is more intuitive with the vertical panels, which match the sequence of Ch1, Ch2, Ch3 on/off buttons.

Thanks for the link to the other thread...I missed that one.
I agree. The panels make more sense to me. "Intuitive" was their description. Personally, I think that circular arrangement for the keyboard was ugly enough but to mimic it on the screen just adds insult to injury  :)

Offline etc6849

• Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: September 06, 2013, 04:25:59 pm »
Awesome work guys!  I just received my DP832.  I'm glad I cancelled the DP832a order now :)

Is there a summary anywhere on the firmware differences for the DP832?  I'm curious how critical it is for me to update (any major bugs?) and if I should do this before applying the hack, etc...

I'm going to guess that the hack will work on any DP832 firmware, but I haven't tried it yet.

EDIT: 
My DP832 has firmware 00.01.04, even though it arrived from tequipment.net this week (after being on back order for while). 

Apparently it's not the newest firmware, but the hack installed just fine.  No need to hunt for the private key.  I used the dos program rigol.exe further up that studio25 compiled for us (thanks :) ), and it has the private key already. 

Looks so much better than the circular triangle display the DP832A has (which is why I cancelled that one and ordered this one).  I typed the keys in manually then toggled power on the DP832 to see the more accurate voltage and current display. 

My board is also the same version as Dave's (rev 2), so it has the same design flaw discussed in the Rigol DC power supply thread.  However, this hack makes up for the design flaw that I'll have to fix at some point down the road.  It's really thanks to you folks that I might buy another piece of Rigol gear in the future.  After the design flaw, I was kind of turned off by it, but all in all, I'm happy with the DP832.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:34:42 pm by etc6849 »

Offline leafi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: September 06, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »
I hope you guys do the DG4000 soon! hint hint! ;D

Offline cybernet

• Regular Contributor
  • pm deactivated, use the search function ...
« Reply #1078 on: September 06, 2013, 11:00:01 pm »
I hope you guys do the DG4000 soon! hint hint! ;D

hint hint, read the thread ...  |O
RTS;

Offline leafi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1079 on: September 07, 2013, 12:56:49 am »
Ive read the thread and the DG400 firmware investigation thread. The only thing I see you mentioning (Cybernet) is you can use a Jtag. (which right now I do not have..granted I do not have a DG4000 yet)

Can this be done without opening the case? BTW thank you for your effort on doing this.

Offline etc6849

• Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: September 07, 2013, 03:41:57 am »
How to undue the DP832 hack?  I really should have found the thread below before hacking the thing.  I measured mine LM317's heat sink and it was 200*F+ with the cover on?!?

I tried generating a trial code, but no luck and now I hear they are recalling the POS.  :palm:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-512-rigol-dp832-bad-design-investigation/360/

PS:  On the bright side "Official" is spelled correctly  :clap:  How about that!

Offline ilya

• Contributor
« Reply #1081 on: September 09, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »
Has anybody been able to revert DS2202 (made from 2072) back to 2072? What were the exact steps to make this happen?

I'm unable to take my scope back to 2072 state. And it shows both 100MHz and 200MHz options in options list which is not that bad, but obviously not intended and annoying.

So far, I tried uninstalling all options, downgrading to the earliest firmware and uninstalling options from there, entering DSAA key (under all firmwares). Still no luck  :-\

Offline darrylp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1082 on: September 09, 2013, 12:58:57 pm »
Yes, steps listed here in this thread worked fine when i tried it.

--
 Darryl

Offline Wim13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1083 on: September 09, 2013, 02:00:26 pm »
Has anybody been able to revert DS2202 (made from 2072) back to 2072? What were the exact steps to make this happen?

I'm unable to take my scope back to 2072 state. And it shows both 100MHz and 200MHz options in options list which is not that bad, but obviously not intended and annoying.

So far, I tried uninstalling all options, downgrading to the earliest firmware and uninstalling options from there, entering DSAA key (under all firmwares). Still no luck  :-\

Well by not reading this thread, you did everything wrong that you can do wrong...

DSAA is a do nothing key, so nothing happens, that is correct.

Only use the lates FW because not all keys can be used in all FW versions,
for uninstall use SCPI command uninstall.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1084 on: September 09, 2013, 02:44:41 pm »

First of all, down-grading to the oldest firmware is a bad idea, you might loose your serial number of the scope by simply playing with keys.

Secondly you need to use the latest firmware if you submit keys to the scope, this is 01.01.02

Here is a small Python program that uninstalls keys, it run on Python 2.7 (not 3.0)
Code: [Select]
import vxi11, sys, time
print("Connecting...")
rigol = vxi11.Instrument("10.0.0.80")
print("Model number before patch:")
print(rigol.ask("*IDN?"))
print("Getting current set-up...")
config = rigol.ask_raw(":SYSTem:SETup?")
time.sleep(3)

#print("Writing license key... " + LICENSE)
#rigol.write(":SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall " + LICENSE)

rigol.write(":SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall")

time.sleep(5)
print("Restoring set-up")
rigol.write_raw(":SYST:SET " + config)
print("Model number after patch:")
print(rigol.ask("*IDN?"))
time.sleep(5)
sys.exit(0)

Oh forgot to mention, if you use DSAZ, the scope only shows the 200 MHz option
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:46:57 pm by Orange »

Offline ilya

• Contributor
« Reply #1085 on: September 09, 2013, 03:40:43 pm »
Well by not reading this thread, you did everything wrong that you can do wrong...

DSAA is a do nothing key, so nothing happens, that is correct.

Only use the lates FW because not all keys can be used in all FW versions,
for uninstall use SCPI command uninstall.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Yes, I HAVE read the whole thread. No, I haven't applied any keys with the earliest software - I've downgraded AFTER I've applied the keys and uninstalled them.

I've made all uninstallations with SCPI command.

Regarding DSAA, I thought that if DSAR updates the model to 2102 and DSAZ to 2202 then DSAA might revert it back to 2072. No dice.

Orange, your Python script is essentialy the same thing as SCPI command.

Offline Maalobs

• Contributor
« Reply #1086 on: September 09, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »

Following this post didn't help you?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sniffing-the-rigol's-internal-i2c-bus/msg273558/#msg273558

I had the same situation as you, and wanted the 100M option gone as well.
The trick with SCPI-commands, was to remove the pre-entered prompt first.
The post directly following mine in the above link, suggests that I might have mistakenly added an extra ':' into my description, maybe I did, I dunno.
Try it out and report back with what worked, I'll edit my post accordingly. :)

Offline etc6849

• Contributor
« Reply #1087 on: September 09, 2013, 10:14:55 pm »
Any hints on how to uninstall the hacked DP832 options?

I tried using the following from Ultra Sigma under Windows 7 64-bit:

:SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
:SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall

where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is the license code without the dashes.

Also tried it without the first colon.  Nothing seemed to work...

The programming guide for the DP800 doesn't seem to list any commands for options (unlike the guide for the DS2000 series).  Maybe I'm SOL on clearing the options before sending the unit it?  Are the codes really unique to where Rigol will not know I hacked the power supply?

How to undue the DP832 hack?  I really should have found the thread below before hacking the thing.  I measured mine LM317's heat sink and it was 200*F+ with the cover on?!?

I tried generating a trial code, but no luck and now I hear they are recalling the POS.  :palm:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-512-rigol-dp832-bad-design-investigation/360/

PS:  On the bright side "Official" is spelled correctly  :clap:  How about that!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:26:29 pm by etc6849 »

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1088 on: September 11, 2013, 06:35:18 pm »
It's Official!!!!

Nope, it's Offical!

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #1089 on: September 11, 2013, 06:37:25 pm »
It's Official!!!!

Nope, it's Offical!

Offcial, to be exact!  :D

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1090 on: September 11, 2013, 07:03:21 pm »
Cybernet is the MAN :-+ :-+ :-+

VSWR Enabled!!!

AMK Enabled !!!!

[It's Official!!!!

And it sticks after power cycling.
Marc, please what FW version you have in DSA-815TG??
Kristian

I'd be really cautious about installing the lkeys while the DSA815-TG is under warranty until someone figures out a way to remove them. My 815 quit responding properly to keyboard input and it's on its way to Rigol for repair.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1091 on: September 11, 2013, 07:32:44 pm »
Warranty from my dealer is 3 years, that means 3 years without 10Hz RBW.

Installing and uninstall via the SCPI commands did not work for me, true. Still you're not hacking the analyser, you simply enter a key, which the analyser accepts, is that not allowed ?  :)

Offline Marc M.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: September 11, 2013, 09:09:15 pm »
I can't remember if/how to get the extended info.  Here's what the  System Info screen displays:

S/N:  DSA8A14490xxxx

Main Board: 00.04
RF Board: 00.04
Digital Board FPGA: 00.04
Firmware: 00.01.05
Boot: 00.01.02

Hope that helps!
Don't replace the cap, just empty the filter!

Offline jsykes

• Contributor
« Reply #1093 on: September 12, 2013, 01:48:21 am »
Cybernet is the MAN :-+ :-+ :-+

VSWR Enabled!!!

AMK Enabled !!!!

[It's Official!!!!

And it sticks after power cycling.
Kristian

I'd be really cautious about installing the lkeys while the DSA815-TG is under warranty until someone figures out a way to remove them. My 815 quit responding properly to keyboard input and it's on its way to Rigol for repair.

I am considering applying the hack to my DSA815-TG. For those who have done it, has anyone experienced ANY problems related to the hack?  :scared:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:50:12 am by jsykes »

Offline Marc M.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1094 on: September 12, 2013, 04:18:00 am »
I am considering applying the hack to my DSA815-TG. For those who have done it, has anyone experienced ANY problems related to the hack?  :scared:
So far the only negative aspect is the inability to remove the keys once installed and how that may affect potential warranty issues.  We will see what Rigol's response to Rory's warranty claim with the unofficial keys installed in this unit. 
Don't replace the cap, just empty the filter!

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1095 on: September 12, 2013, 03:46:35 pm »
RORY....did DSA stop respond in selfcalibrating??
mine was freezing  and stop responding in selfcalibrating but only when enviroment temp was over 32 deg C.
under 32 deg C was perfect...go figure!
it's under warranty and I will post results here when DSA comes back from rigol EU.
Kristian

Kristian - I did not investigate self-calibration. The problem is present at all times, but could it be triggered by self-cal? I do not know.  Room temp 24C and problem occurs right away before unit warms up. 
Rory

Offline fqahmad66

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: September 13, 2013, 04:12:14 am »
It looks like a bad BGA solder..

Offline Ericho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1097 on: September 13, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »
Woww,

I had some time yesterday and read the hole tread,

My hat off to all participants, this is way out of my leage but non the less very interesting  :-+

Respect  :-+

Next month I will be able to order my ds2072 and my owon is due for a ritual burning in the garden.

Kind regards,
Eric

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1098 on: September 13, 2013, 05:58:06 pm »
It looks like a bad BGA solder..
yes thats I am aware of... :(

Rory.....did you see the problem before entering keys for options or after that?
K

Afterward. It failed about 3 weeks after lkeys installed.

Offline auato

• Contributor
« Reply #1099 on: September 13, 2013, 07:19:31 pm »
Afterward. It failed about 3 weeks after lkeys installed.
Damn! Rory, what do you think to do now?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf