Hi All
My SSA3021x arrives today and reading through all the posts on here I can find got me more and more worried about protecting the input port.
The spec says the port is protected for 50V and 30dB. This seems a lot but then I read that a mobile phone near the device can flag overload.
I looked at the rfshop here in the uk and they have DC blocks and attenuators. If I buy a 30dB attenuator, that would suggest I am protecting the unit from a lot of input. Do I still need a DC block as well?
I think 30dB seems quite high really but I am new to SA use and so needs some advice.
Trev
You only
need a DC block if you plan to put more than 50V DC into the unit. Most of the time (not always, but
most of the time) people who use DC blocks have inputs which can't take any DC voltage whatsoever.
As for an attenuator, it's not really a big deal. As you learn about and use your spectrum analyzer, you will probably find yourself buying various kinds of attenuators. Some experimental setups call for putting an attenuator before
and after a cable. Sometimes they just call for putting an attenuator at the end of a long run of cable. Some user's guides call for using
two identical attenuators (say, two 10dB pads in a row). Eventually, you'll have a grab bag of attenuators (and possibly other, more sophisticated attenuation equipment) at your disposal. So it's not too important to worry about it. You're going to want to make sure in general you don't hook up very powerful equipment to your SA anyway.
There are a pair of guidelines which are more important to me than either of those two things:
1. Get a pair of sacrificial connectors or adapters.
2. Decide on a standard connector type, adapt to it from Type N, and buy all of your equipment (connectors, attenuators, switches, etc) accordingly.
In my case, this meant buying:
- 2x Type N to SMA adapters of good quality (I got some 18 GHz ones, and my specan is only rated to ~ 3 GHz)
- SMA to SMA adapters of every kind
- SMA to everything else adapters
- SMA attenuators
- parts to make DIY SMA cables
In other words, in my case, I immediately convert from Type N to SMA, and I do
everything in SMA. SMA is a little bit less robust as a connector, but everything is a great deal cheaper.
Cheers,
-tg