Author Topic: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything  (Read 141499 times)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: BenchVue 3.0 now available – ask the BenchVue team anything
« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2017, 09:35:26 am »
Question.
If i buy right now a used 34401A or even better a brand new 34461A can i download the Benchvue 2017 to collaborate with one of those instruments without the need to pay more money for the Software ?
Thanks!

You can use BenchVue 2017 and activate a trial version for 4 weeks.

Other alternatives:
1.) Use the previous version of BenchVue, but that is limited in logging time after the trial "Pro" has expired
2.) Or the older Agilent DMM logging software that is unlimited in logging time, just does not have all the nice features.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:36:58 am by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2017, 09:41:30 am »
Question.
If i buy right now a used 34401A or even better a brand new 34461A can i download the Benchvue 2017 to collaborate with one of those instruments without the need to pay more money for the Software ?
Thanks!

Yes, it will work but  DMM logging  is limited to one hour ( ony Pro do not have limitation, but needs to be purchased separatelly) Or you can download DMM_Connectivity_Utility_1.0.2.0.exe
 where is no time limit for logging and utility is free of charge.
Or you can Command Expert and log it into Excel without time limit for free.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2017, 09:48:32 am »
Yeah I've been using the old software with no time limit. Would be nice to use Benchvue tho.

Offline SimonD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2017, 10:13:30 am »
OK Thanks! Can i ask the cost for the license to "PRO" upgrade?

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2017, 10:57:52 am »
Enclosed a screenshot why you should mostly keep to the Windows style guide to prevent other software - in this case monitor switching software - from messing up the GUI.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:04:27 am by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2017, 06:01:06 pm »
And here the next GUI messup. When remotely monitoring a BV logging curve via VNC (Ultra VNC or Tight VNC) the measured numbers are displayed but not the curve :palm:.
Keeping to the Windows style guide would have prevented this. :blah:
As demonstrable when remotely viewing Profilab logging curves, for example.

Maybe the above messup is not so. And VNC did not cause this. But what is certain: BV after logging a long time (5 hours, or so) no longer displayed the logged curve. Triggering the measurements went on as usual and the measured values were displayed and updated as usual. But the curve display was lost. Will investigate furter. Obviously this will take some time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:12:09 pm by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #231 on: April 08, 2017, 09:26:43 pm »
Maybe if Microsoft weren't doing everything in their power to torpedo their own operating system, people would be more interested in following their style guidelines.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2017, 05:50:36 am »
To save SSD writes, I wanted to change the default path for the actively
logged data to an internal HDD drive other than C: which is on a SSD.
Could not find a setting for this in the BV 2017 DMM app.
Searching "path" in the DMM app help file and going through it did not tell
me anything on this. It seems the path for the logged data is fixed. :palm:

Offline srce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:11 am »
Am I correct in thinking that the 2017 version requires a £200 license for the Oscilloscope Control module and another £200 license for the DMM module, but these were both free (at least with basic functionality) in the 2016 version? :palm:

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2017, 03:28:17 pm »
Hi Frank,
The new licenses are perpetual licenses meaning you can use them forever without any restrictions. The countdown you're seeing is the number of days left in your update subscription. All licenses include a 1 year SW subscription which gives you free access to all the product updates for your application. After the subscription expires, your license is preserved. You just won't get product updates and feature enhancements that we release after the 1 year. ( Here is the online help that talks about licensing for BenchVue - http://rfmw.em.keysight.com/bihelpfiles/BenchVue/BV_2017/PlatformApp/English/Default.htm )

Sid

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2017, 03:40:34 pm »
Hi Simon,
If you're planning to upgrade to PRO, would really recommend you look at BenchVue 2017 ( which doesn't have a base and PRO version ). Most product enhancements going forward will be focused on BenchVue 2017. The prices for most applications range from <$100 to ~$300 based on the type of license you want. i.e. if you want it for perpetual use or just for 1 year ( perpetual or time-based in our lingo ) and whether you want to move it around or use it for just 1 PC ( node locked, transportable or networked ) . There is more information detailed at this page --http://rfmw.em.keysight.com/bihelpfiles/BenchVue/BV_2017/PlatformApp/English/Default.htm

OK Thanks! Can i ask the cost for the license to "PRO" upgrade?

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2017, 03:45:41 pm »
Hi Messtechniker,
Yes, you're right - the path for the datalogs is fixed right now. I'll add it as an enhancement to allow us to change it. In case you weren't able to find the location, what you can do is go to the Data Manager tab, right click on your datalog and select Open File Location. This will open the folder for your datalogs.

It seems the path for the logged data is fixed. :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Messtechniker

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2017, 03:52:56 pm »
Hi srce,
Yes, applications in BenchVue 2017 require a paid license. However, with each license you now get full access to Test Flow for your app to allow easy measurement automation without programming. This application previously was only available as a subscription license for $300/year. A number of our 2017 apps have received numerous enhancements ( DAQ, Spectrum Analyzers, Network Analyzers, FieldFox ) with many more to come for our other apps. We truly hope you will find this continued and focused investment in our application enhancements beneficial for your measurement needs.
Sid

Am I correct in thinking that the 2017 version requires a £200 license for the Oscilloscope Control module and another £200 license for the DMM module, but these were both free (at least with basic functionality) in the 2016 version? :palm:

Offline D3f1ant

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing as little as possible, but no less.
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2017, 03:41:50 am »
Congratulations Keysight, you've done the exact opposite of what I was expecting  :-DD

I was hoping you would drop the ridiculously overpriced pro licences and make benchvue free and awesome for everybody as a selling point for your hardware. Instead, you've done the opposite, no free PC software for anybody  :-DD   Oh well at least now I'll save some drive space and I no longer have any reason to keep building my harmonious Keysight environment, which will save my business a lot of money ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:53:36 am by D3f1ant »

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2017, 05:34:52 am »
BenchVue Team

how is the pricing put together? I do understand you can buy a perceptual license - so FT/TP/NP marked. But then there is a time based as well? So is the time based the "subscription"? So if I buy a FT/TP/NP license - 1 year of FY/NY/TY is included - and FY/NY/TY is what I will have to extend my license with next year? Or is there a different update license?

And can I buy JUST the FY/NY/TY license and then just renew every year?

I find it a big mess... and very expensive for what BV provides. The MathLab with instrument extensions is actually a lot better value IMHO.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2017, 06:27:54 am »
@Keysight BenchVue Team: I'm finding it hard to find details of the new licensing scheme also.  Overall, I'm a bit concerned.

I bought a paid license for the BenchVue DMM application, which provided a 2 seat (movable) license and no mention of expiring upgrades to the DMM app.  In effect (to my knowledge) it was a one-time purchase on my part with (presumably) unlimited update of the BenchVue DMM app (at least while that application existed).  It seems the new BenchVue 2017 DMM app provides a 1 seat license with 1 year of "unlimited" updates...end of story.

So what happens after that 1 yr of updates?  I didn't find details about a subscription or having to renew each year, etc., but it appears something like that is the case.  Please clarify or provide a link to website with all the necessary details.  Thanks!

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2017, 06:32:46 am »
Any plans for a Linux version? Only some ladies from administration are using windows. All engineers are using Linux here...

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2017, 09:01:10 am »
Any plans for a Linux version? Only some ladies from administration are using windows. All engineers are using Linux here...

I think BV will be hard to move to an independent platform. BV is so tied into .NET that even I'm surprised...  But I would more call it .NET abuse than .NET usage... If it was use - it would follow Windows standards - it absolutely does not follow any common GUI standards.

But yes BV2017 seems like an even bigger disappointment. So far only about 30-35 real products supported (and deviations thereof) - so it is rather limited.

Not only that - support for each instrument is very limited to basic functions. Very few hardware options are usable. Like on my N6700 with power modules - BV can't use any of the fast acquisition modes which makes the high speed data logging functions in the 6700 - well unusable... So while it does support the N6700 power modules - it only supports a subset of the features - and a really small subset. Same goes for the Scope app etc. - basic functions supported to some degree. Anything above that - no support.

I think it is about 60-70% of times I want to log something - I find out that BV does not do that and ends up being faster to do in Python or Excel with command expert. And it is faster to do in Excel as BV is so sluggish and bloated due to the architecture chosen.

So saying BV supports 100's of instruments is marketing speak. It has very limited support for 100's (actually 34-36 product lines) of Product codes usually with only most basic integration with a few exceptions. And where it would be great for things like Keysights USB based products Meters/Scopes/SMU's - there is ZERO support. There you are still tied up with app's with latest release in 2013.

It is a very random product. And I'm sorry to sound so harsh - but really it has very little value for me - and I do a lot of long time data logging (days/weeks/months) - some at ultra high speed some very slow. But I have a hard time finding a use for BV.

I actually prefer the display on my 34465A when logging compared to the display on the BV. And once BV runs you have limited visualisation on the 34465A - that is for once not BV's fault but due to the implementation of remote logging.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2017, 09:33:03 am »
Is the new BenchVue just as cancerous as the last? Does it install 10-11 different folders under Program Files? Does it add itself to startup? Does it still have several processes running 24/7 using RAM? Does it still put a tray icon in my taskbar that's there even if the app is not running? Is the uninstaller still useless, leaving most files and registry keys behind?

I guess nobody cares because it's always installed on someone else's computer?  ;D

Offline FivePoint03

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2017, 09:44:13 am »
Do we need a license for the BenchVue itself or just the individual apps?

Offline srce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #245 on: April 11, 2017, 02:07:01 pm »
Yes, applications in BenchVue 2017 require a paid license. However, with each license you now get full access to Test Flow for your app to allow easy measurement automation without programming. This application previously was only available as a subscription license for $300/year.
Thanks, but that's unfortunately not a feature I'm interested in, so looks poor value for me, particularly given the subscription model.

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #246 on: April 11, 2017, 03:23:49 pm »
Hi D3f1ant
I can certainly appreciate where that comment is coming from. I really hope we don't lose you as a Keysight and BenchVue customer. I assure you the decision we took for BenchVue wasn't without  considerable deliberation ( I am on the team ) given we've always prided ourselves on putting our customers above all. Our hope is that in the long run, the additional focus and investment Keysight is making into BenchVue will add considerable value and win you back over. Do let us know if there is anything we can do
Sid

Congratulations Keysight, you've done the exact opposite of what I was expecting  :-DD

I was hoping you would drop the ridiculously overpriced pro licences and make benchvue free and awesome for everybody as a selling point for your hardware. Instead, you've done the opposite, no free PC software for anybody  :-DD   Oh well at least now I'll save some drive space and I no longer have any reason to keep building my harmonious Keysight environment, which will save my business a lot of money ;D

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #247 on: April 11, 2017, 03:42:10 pm »

Hi Kaz911,
Not quite - You have a couple of options. The licenses all have two letters.

FIRST LETTER- This dictates how much flexibility you want in moving the license around
- If you want it to just stay on one Machine, choose F ( Fixed )
- If you want it to move around different PCs, Choose T ( Transportable )
- If you want to host it on a server so multiple people have non-simultaneous access, choose N ( Network )
In terms of Price it is , F < T < N

SECONDLETTER - choose how long you'd like to use the license
- If forever, then choose a P ( Perpetual ). This includes 1 year of updates. After one year, you can continue to use your license but you need to pay a renewal fee to get updates for another year. The license types and pricing ( which will be very nominal ) for this renewal fee isn't yet available on the web but will be in the coming months.
- If you only need it for one year, choose Y ( Year ). This is generally 1/3rd the price of the perpetual. After 1 year, you can repurchase the license again and receive the updates for another year.

Your options therefore are
FP,TP,NP and FY,TY,NY

I know this is confusing right now, but we will we updating our webpages to make this very clear and provide upfront pricing for each on of these so its easy to pick and choose. Generally speaking they run from about <$100 to ~$300

how is the pricing put together? I do understand you can buy a perceptual license - so FT/TP/NP marked. But then there is a time based as well? So is the time based the "subscription"? So if I buy a FT/TP/NP license - 1 year of FY/NY/TY is included - and FY/NY/TY is what I will have to extend my license with next year? Or is there a different update license?
And can I buy JUST the FY/NY/TY license and then just renew every year?
I find it a big mess... and very expensive for what BV provides. The MathLab with instrument extensions is actually a lot better value IMHO.

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #248 on: April 11, 2017, 03:43:30 pm »
Hi kax911,
Can I ask you to elaborate a little more on your comment ? What functionality would you like to see in BV to bring it up to par to your expectations ?
Sid

Offline Sid.BenchVueTeam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #249 on: April 11, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »
Hi Sparky,
Yes that is correct. After 1 year, the license will continue to work but app won't be updated with the latest enhancements. A nominal yearly renewal/subscription/upgrade fee is needed to get updates for another year. We're currently working on providing literature that describes the update process that will take effect in April 2018.

Sid

@Keysight BenchVue Team: I'm finding it hard to find details of the new licensing scheme also.  Overall, I'm a bit concerned.

I bought a paid license for the BenchVue DMM application, which provided a 2 seat (movable) license and no mention of expiring upgrades to the DMM app.  In effect (to my knowledge) it was a one-time purchase on my part with (presumably) unlimited update of the BenchVue DMM app (at least while that application existed).  It seems the new BenchVue 2017 DMM app provides a 1 seat license with 1 year of "unlimited" updates...end of story.

So what happens after that 1 yr of updates?  I didn't find details about a subscription or having to renew each year, etc., but it appears something like that is the case.  Please clarify or provide a link to website with all the necessary details.  Thanks!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf