Author Topic: Tek tds3012b upgrade or leave as is  (Read 2831 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Chalmml1Topic starter

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 5
Tek tds3012b upgrade or leave as is
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:35:27 am »
So I picked up an as is tds3012b off evil bay knowing that while it could have bad asics and the like it probably wasn't going to have a great deal if anything wrong with it.
Turns out it was the connector between the mainboard and the power section that had come unplugged and now I have a perfectly happy scope.

It appears to have valid cal until june 2020, my opening it to fix it has likely voided the legitimacy of said cal but it's only a 100Mhz instrument so breathing on it isn't going to change much I figure.
Do I leave it as is as I don't really need a 500Mhz scope currently or upgrade it because why not?
I don't currently require more than 100Mhz but will in the future as I want to test some circuits with high speed adcs and serial, hence why I got this scope rather than just going out and buying a siglent or the like.

This is also my first foray into fully digital scopes hence not really knowing if the higher sampling res and bandwidth will impact on lower speed measurements, I assume more so as you approach the bandwidth limit for digital signalling and anything square wave than most other use cases.
 

Offline james_s

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 21608
  • Country: us
Re: Tek tds3012b upgrade or leave as is
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 02:28:30 am »
Doesn't upgrading it require a full calibration? If it works and it meets your needs I think I'd be inclined to leave it alone. You'll be kicking yourself if you accidentally break it.
 

Offline coromonadalix

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 8790
  • Country: ca
Re: Tek tds3012b upgrade or leave as is
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 04:39:09 am »
Same here,  works fine  dont touch it, and enjoy it.
 

Offline VK5RC

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 2674
  • Country: au
Re: Tek tds3012b upgrade or leave as is
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 04:43:47 am »
To misquote - 'There is no substitute for inches (GS/s)'.
For digital - get a stand alone Saleae. IMHO
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->