Author Topic: Tekronix 2430A CH1 is broken  (Read 7586 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Tekronix 2430A CH1 is broken
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 08:29:23 am »
This isn't going anywhere. Apply some signal to input one and follow it using channel two by going from the input BNC towards the ADC circuit. At some point the signal will be OK before a component and distorted after. The second channel is working so any shared circuitry like the power supply, display section, etc is OK. This leaves a relatively small part to worry about.

And if channel 2 is suspect, use a bench power supply as an input, set to DC coupling 1Mohm input, and trace the signal flow with a voltmeter!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 10:25:24 am »
The only other damage or mark of any type or even dirt part I've seen on this whole DSO was an R that had a little chip off of it.

Did you check that resistor and surrounding circuitry, preferably out of circuit? I've had (THT) resistors that looked fine but had a tiny mark that rubbed off easily, or an almost invisible tiny crack, that measured open or short with one lead lifted. Take a closer look to at least rule it out.

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 11:28:31 am »
I don't have a proper PSU yet, thats on the short list tho.

The slightly chipped R is on the main I think, it measured ok, IDK. I'm gonna write down a few more voltages on the PSU now and then try and hook the main board back up

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2017, 04:12:01 am »
Have you checked the ASICs?
I got a 2430A with a faulty CH2. CH1 was okay. I swapped around the ASICs from CH1 to CH2 until I found the faulty one - in my case, it was the peak detector ASIC. Got one from eBay and, other than some faulty tantalum caps, that was all :)

(Trailer Park Boys rules, by the way!)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 09:19:04 am »

In that case use an improper PSU (e.g. a cell) and a 10kohm potentiometer!

Think about what that test is trying to achieve, and how. You are looking for gross problems, not 1% problems!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 09:30:32 am »

In that case use an improper PSU (e.g. a cell) and a 10kohm potentiometer!

Think about what that test is trying to achieve, and how. You are looking for gross problems, not 1% problems!

:-+ On the "improper" PSU

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 02:02:31 am »
I've been sick all week and haven't touched it since the 31st, and I never got the allen key yet to take off the buttons, hopefully next week. I'm hoping the extra 2.2V on the 5V digital rail is not on the feedback side with the 16DIP chip or all the stuff around it, thats way more complicated than if its a cap or diode off the transformer side. But can't check without allen key.

But tomorrow I hope to hook up the main board and poke around it, still never did that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf