Author Topic: Tektronix 2246 MOD A "knapsack" cleaning?  (Read 836 times)

Offline barbequeTopic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix 2246 MOD A "knapsack" cleaning?
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:36:57 pm »
I picked up a 2246 recently, and it was not stored well. It appears some rodent friends were in the storage pouch briefly, and it stinks pretty badly as a result.

I managed to pull the pouch off the back by bending the metal support plate and scrub it in the sink - which helped a lot, but I'd like to throw it in the washing machine for a proper cleaning. However, the pouch appears to be riveted onto the metal plate that clips into the top of the scope.

Did Tek really expect you to drill out the rivets in order to clean the pouch? And does anyone know what kind of setting on the washing machine to use?

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix 2246 MOD A "knapsack" cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:44:34 pm »
I'd leave it together and use the dishwasher, not the clothes washer, and then dry it off in a very warm place (oven at 150F if you can, or in the sun, if you have any). 

I hope there aren't any rodents in the scope...
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline bmac_2780

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:40:24 am »
Dishwasher is not a good idea if using dishwasher powder or tablets. It will corrode the aluminum parts. Made that mistake once with an aluminium ice cream scoop. Better to hand wash with detergent or similar

Offline iroc86

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 06:35:43 pm »
I don't think any manufacturers really expected anyone to clean their equipment, sadly. The rivets were probably just for manufacturing simplicity and/or cost. Why not drill out the rivets and reattach the pouch with pop rivets after cleaning?

The washing machine would probably do a nice job on that pouch--I've washed bags like that before and they come out looking new again, especially if you use an oxygenating cleaner. I'd use the gentlest cycle on warm wash / cold rinse. You are definitely going to need the spin cycle to get all of the water out. Otherwise, it'll be a sopping mess that will get stiff and crunchy if you just let it air dry. Might be able to set it in the sun afterwards to speed up the rest of the drying process.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf