Author Topic: Test and Measurement Tips for Displayport 1.3  (Read 473 times)

Offline salvagedcircuitryTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
Test and Measurement Tips for Displayport 1.3
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:27:04 pm »
This may be a bit audacious for a personal project, but I'm considering designing a 5k resolution embedded displayport LCD controller.

The LCD panel I chose is a non-standard 3:2 aspect 5k panel, so using an off-the-shelf LCD driver board from alibaba will likely not work.

This is my first foray into high speed design, and I realize high speed = high bandwidth = $$,000. What I am wondering is if I can get away with using an older oscilloscope to measure the signal integrity of displayport 1.3.

DP1.3 rise time (10-90%) = 50 picoseconds
According to the equation: Fknee = 0.5/RT(10-90%). 0.5/50ps = 10ghz.
With a 3% target accuracy with a maximally flat response: 1.4*Fknee = 14ghz

I will need ~14ghz bandwidth, further confirmed by Keysight and teledyne lecroy's suggested 13ghz bandwidth for DP1.3 or eDP1.4-eDP1.4a.

Would oscilloscopes like the Agilent DSO81304B, 91304A or Tektronix TDS6154C be suitable for measuring signal integrity for displayport 1.3? Would I need to use something more modern like an Infiniium V-series or Rohde & Schwarz RTP134 / RTP164, which have direct plugin support for displayport 1.3 / 1.4?

This is a personal project for now, but I may decide to sell some in the future depending on the results. I realize high speed teat gear is aimed at large corps, and does not exactly share hobbyist price tags, but I'm trying to determine if it's worth picking up some old iron or renting a new piece of gear for a few months :D.

Thanks for any input guys! Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:30:33 pm by salvagedcircuitry »
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Test and Measurement Tips for Displayport 1.3
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 09:43:01 pm »
You'll need dedicated silicon to drive displayport anyway so start by finding a chip which matches your requirements to drive displayport and follow the layout guidelines to the letter.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf