Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15115816 times)

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #107675 on: November 26, 2021, 03:25:34 pm »
I'll vacuum it out as best I can. I don't even want to speculate how all that crap got in there but you can bet rodent pee and crap is mixed in with it.

...and then dispose of the vacuum cleaner as hasardous waste?
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107676 on: November 26, 2021, 03:26:43 pm »
Another Solartron 7081 from UK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284541597525

Look like crap and it's already more than what I would be willing to pay. Too bad, shipping to Canada was actually acceptable  :)

« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:28:42 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #107677 on: November 26, 2021, 03:27:43 pm »
More USPS follies. The 8416 vacuum tube shipped from Sussex, NJ on the 24th. Sussex is exactly 60 miles south from me. Yesterday was a national holiday but it still did move SOUTH to Teterboro, NJ distribution center and then FURTHER south to Jersey City, NJ distribution center where it currently sits. Where will it go from there? It will drive on the NYS Thruway right by my place to NORTH Albany, NY distribution center. Then go back SOUTH of me to Newburgh, NY distribution center before FINALLY arriving at my PO on Monday. Or so sez the tracking projection. In the old days I could get a package from the UK faster than that.  :palm:
Still better than ever passing through the N Houston SortHub...  |O

I had one package that literally bounced back & forth between that hub and a PO 20 miles from me for 3 weeks. I finally got lucky by guessing when it would still be at that PO, calling them and making sure it was there, then driving over and picking it up.

I have no doubt that if I had not done so, it would still be embedded in that oscillator circuit until either the package disintegrated from handling or that PO shut its doors as so many are doing now.   

mnem
*death by 1000 paper cuts*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107678 on: November 26, 2021, 03:30:52 pm »
Who needs electronics?

edit for serial data transmission and reception
Ok, I can understand how the manual entry system and printing works, but the data decoding??????

String, wire, bent metal, cams. That's all you need for mechanical engineering products. The student can supply the relevant details.
:-// :-// :-// serial data transmission and reception  :wtf:  :-// :-// :bullshit:

Decode is a bar for each bit (5) mechanically set (or not) in sequence by the electromagnet.  Each bar has a set of slots according to the code  The print lever with corresponding lugs is then released to hit the paper
5 bit 50 Baud was one standard (Amateurs used 45.45 Baud).

Now you're talking Babbage-Tech!  :-DD

mnem
oooohhh... would you look at this lovely scarf I've woven on the teletype machine...? :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #107679 on: November 26, 2021, 03:31:17 pm »
Just like with the Japs...

I don't know if you realise, but that there's a racial slur...  ;)

Sorry, none intended.  ;)

Yet when I was a kiddy and your country started spreading its wings most of what you produced was genuinely called Jap crap however we can't say the same today and in time we won't be saying such about the Chinese too.
Most of the cars on Kiwi roads are Jap and you guys certainly know how to build them without designed in oil leaks unlike the Poms.  :P

The wife's country. I'm just a bloody Australian. :D

All good, Just a heads up incase someone gets offended somewhere else. :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #107680 on: November 26, 2021, 03:33:18 pm »
I'll vacuum it out as best I can. I don't even want to speculate how all that crap got in there but you can bet rodent pee and crap is mixed in with it.

Normally I prefer bagless vacuum cleaners - but not in this case!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107681 on: November 26, 2021, 03:37:00 pm »

The shop vac and filter can be cleaned and hosed out. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107682 on: November 26, 2021, 03:38:02 pm »
This has to be the oldest Solartron I've seen so far: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334232124623

Hmmmmm... I do believe I see 3DP spacers made to refit that with modern output terminals and color coding. While I personally couldn't care less, it does set off the ol' anachronism detector something fierce...  :o

Another thought... do we really know if that was even made by the same Solartron we know & love for their "special" connectors...?

mnem
no  :popcorn:  for me...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #107683 on: November 26, 2021, 03:38:22 pm »

Yet when I was a kiddy and your country started spreading its wings most of what you produced was genuinely called Jap crap however we can't say the same today and in time we won't be saying such about the Chinese too.
Most of the cars on Kiwi roads are Jap and you guys certainly know how to build them without designed in oil leaks unlike the Poms.  :P

From which part ?
Our Larry Major (older larrikin son) found skirt in Perth and has been there for getting on 10 years and hope all this CV shit passes so we can get over to see them again.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107684 on: November 26, 2021, 03:59:18 pm »
Has anyone else noticed how eBay insists on opening a new window each time you click on an item and when you click return to search results, it leaves the window open  :rant: does anyone know how this can be altered or is this now a permanent feature of eBay??? If you are looking for something, and you click "Watch this item", it leaves the window open so you end up with loads of open windows  :wtf:

Doesn't do that here. Yes, I get a new tab/window if I click on a searched item (it's done that for ages) but if I use the 'return to search' link it closes the new tab/window.
This sounds to me more likely a browser-related thing (or combination of the site and a certain browser) than necessarily site-specific.

OTOH, my butt is still sore from my last 3 fleaBay engagements, so haven't even opened a single tab there in months... :o

mnem
 :-/O

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #107685 on: November 26, 2021, 04:09:44 pm »
Another Solartron 7081 from UK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284541597525

Look like crap and it's already more than what I would be willing to pay. Too bad, shipping to Canada was actually acceptable  :)

Christ... couldn't even be arsed to run a damp rag across it.  :o

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107686 on: November 26, 2021, 04:14:59 pm »

Insulating material to improve thermal stability?   :popcorn:
:-DD You agitator, you.  :-+

Honestly, once you pull the choobs to put in your inventory, I don't see much difference there in how one would handle it vs the one full of furrzz in prior pix; just spray the effing thing with simple green and hose it out.  :-//

After that, scrub surfaces with toothbrush/favorite sanitizer (wear gloves and a mask, if it makes you feel better), then let it dry out for a month near a heater vent and see iff'n it still reeks.

My primary concern would be to make sure I got all the corners hosed out and inspected to be sure no roach eggs before I brought it inside.

mnem
 :-BROKE

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #107687 on: November 26, 2021, 04:26:48 pm »

From which part ?
Our Larry Major (older larrikin son) found skirt in Perth and has been there for getting on 10 years and hope all this CV shit passes so we can get over to see them again.
Adelaide originally, then Darwin for a year but the weather is crap before the wet season, so I went to Brisbane for a decade before coming to Japan.
I think I'm stuck here for a while now though... wife, son, car, house, etc. :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107688 on: November 26, 2021, 04:31:33 pm »
RedHat 8 nouveau driver crashing my graphics card in the company workstation. FFS.
does anybody know how to disable gnome from the console and enable x11 ?

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=288

>:D

mnem
Hey, with my weak Kung-Fu it isn't often I get a chance to poke fun at you *NIX gurus; can you really blame me...? ;)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107689 on: November 26, 2021, 04:32:49 pm »
The covers cleaned up well. Some sticker residue which Goo Gone will take care of. No re-paint required. The cover in the foreground has a dent in the top which tweaked the cover a bit. A block of wood and a BFH should fix that.

Tomorrow I'll start clean up of scope 1.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107690 on: November 26, 2021, 04:38:20 pm »
Not heard of this manufacturer before, no doubt Robert, Cerebus, or tggzzz can elucidate: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224708780108

Not me.

Someone's going to have fun with that mains cable.

Nor me. The S+E logo vaguely rings a bell, but only a tiny handbell; that means I've seen it before but I can't add any useful information beyond that.

Found this: https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=12221

Yes, best known for their big reel to reel instrumentation tape recorders. I think the recorders were the main reason EMI bought them. The recorders were still in active use in the aviation industry well in to the 1990's. I know one company that only destroyed their archive 1" tapes around 2015. The tapes probably outlived the aircraft whose data was on them.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107691 on: November 26, 2021, 04:42:36 pm »
Hey Med, is that mess in the scope not just sawdust ?

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Who the freak knows until I start cleaning. But it DOES stink so I suspect more than "just" sawdust.
Some woods do stink as you know but the smell is normally lost after a while as sawdust. Maybe a rat pee'd on the scope and it soaked some in to retain the stink.
Anyways it's probably been stored in a small workshop to get such a coating of dust.....I'm sure it will be just fine Med.

If you think that's bad you should have seen the state of aircooled avionics equipment back in the days when they allowed smoking on aircraft....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107692 on: November 26, 2021, 04:58:12 pm »
I reckon I'd stand a slightly better chance of beating this than my Kasparov Sensor Chess: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373803628767

This has to be the oldest Solartron I've seen so far: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334232124623

This is too salty for me, even fully working, and even with the seller sending an offer of £180: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265415769040

Здравствуйте товарищ милливольтметр! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175033826065

Not heard of this manufacturer before, no doubt Robert, Cerebus, or tggzzz can elucidate: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224708780108

Cool, I haven't seen a chess computer for years. I used to have one, but cannot remember what happened to it  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107693 on: November 26, 2021, 04:59:08 pm »
Did anyone here get the HP LogicDart that was in the PP aucton?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107694 on: November 26, 2021, 05:03:09 pm »

Not me.

Someone's going to have fun with that mains cable.

Nor me. The S+E logo vaguely rings a bell, but only a tiny handbell; that means I've seen it before but I can't add any useful information beyond that.

Found this: https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=12221

Yes, best known for their big reel to reel instrumentation tape recorders. I think the recorders were the main reason EMI bought them. The recorders were still in active use in the aviation industry well in to the 1990's. I know one company that only destroyed their archive 1" tapes around 2015. The tapes probably outlived the aircraft whose data was on them.

Ah! Now instead of C8 handbell I think I'm getting G6. Yes, I think I can remember seeing S+E tape machines rack mounted for data logging or telephone logging.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107695 on: November 26, 2021, 05:06:24 pm »
"Used" Spectrum Analyser fro ProAvit on ebay
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255248173936
 :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107696 on: November 26, 2021, 05:10:29 pm »

Insulating material to improve thermal stability?   :popcorn:
:-DD You agitator, you.  :-+

Honestly, once you pull the choobs to put in your inventory, I don't see much difference there in how one would handle it vs the one full of furrzz in prior pix; just spray the effing thing with simple green and hose it out.  :-//

After that, scrub surfaces with toothbrush/favorite sanitizer (wear gloves and a mask, if it makes you feel better), then let it dry out for a month near a heater vent and see iff'n it still reeks.

My primary concern would be to make sure I got all the corners hosed out and inspected to be sure no roach eggs before I brought it inside.

mnem
 :-BROKE
I'd give it a bloody good brushing while the tubes are still in situ to prevent any of that dust making its way into the sockets to cause problems later, then a good vacuuming with a good strong vacuum.  Then I'd give a wonderful dousing with Isopropyl and use a toothbrush in the corners to make sure any such eggs are not only killed by the dousing in alcohol but also removed, let it air out and dry thoroughly and then bring it inside.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107697 on: November 26, 2021, 05:11:24 pm »
They can keep it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107698 on: November 26, 2021, 05:14:32 pm »
Has anyone else noticed how eBay insists on opening a new window each time you click on an item and when you click return to search results, it leaves the window open  :rant: does anyone know how this can be altered or is this now a permanent feature of eBay??? If you are looking for something, and you click "Watch this item", it leaves the window open so you end up with loads of open windows  :wtf:

Doesn't do that here. Yes, I get a new tab/window if I click on a searched item (it's done that for ages) but if I use the 'return to search' link it closes the new tab/window.
This sounds to me more likely a browser-related thing (or combination of the site and a certain browser) than necessarily site-specific.

OTOH, my butt is still sore from my last 3 fleaBay engagements, so haven't even opened a single tab there in months... :o

mnem
 :-/O
Thats what me and my boys all thought, but its the same in Firefox, Edge and Chrome. I was wondering if it might be Windoze 10 related as I don't recall noticing that before downloading the Novemeber update.
Who let Murphy in?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #107699 on: November 26, 2021, 05:15:41 pm »
They can keep it  :-DD

"cables have been cut on the internals "

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf