Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14949343 times)

klab, BravoV and 247 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #111300 on: January 16, 2022, 12:31:40 am »
On the subject of resistor colour code, I first remembered it in a manner very similar to what Mnem stated.

Black - brown - rainbow - grey - white.

Now, I don't see the colours as much as the numbers.  Show me yellow-purple-red and I see 4.7k  :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:34:13 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111301 on: January 16, 2022, 12:41:34 am »
While you are all discording because I am sure it's become an official word by now.... I am still busy excavating and sorting lab stuff.

This evening was the turn of my DMMs. Started collecting them 4/5 years ago maybe, and every time I would put a new 9V battery in them.

That was maybe not such a good idea. Not just for potential / inevitable long term corrosion damage, but if just for cost because 9V batteries are very expensive and having so many of them draining away unused, is just a huge waste  ::)

So I searched all my drawers and containers to try and make sure I had unearthed each and every one of them, and took them all apart one by one to check for corrosion (found only 2 with slight corrosion on the terminals only, were still working fine, but will open them up anyway to make sure..), and battery condition. A bin for the good (enough) batteries, which I will keep, and a bin for the bad or not so good ones, which will go to recycling.

Noticed my WaveTek DM27XT LCR meter has a big LCD problem sadly... you can barely see a faint segment or two.... but battery is healthy and it beeps healthily as well. So I guess just bad LCD connections ?!  :-//  I don't know if it uses zebra strips, will have to check. Hopefully I can bring it back to life, I like this little LCR meter, and it's my only one as well !

I counted them, 23 DMMs ! Plus 3 analog meters which are not in the picture.

I understand removing the batteries from stuff you don't use for long periods of time is necessary but... the problem is that now if I want to take a random meter to give it some use time and have some fun with it... I can't, because it doesn't work any more... having to take it apart to stick a battery into it, play with it for short while then 10 minutes later have to take it apart again, remove the battery, put it back together and then put it back into "storage"... it's just too cumbersome, it's not fun anymore !  :(

So I don't know... maybe I will try to find a compromise. Most of these meters are duplicates, the Metrix MX ones at least.
So maybe I could select just a few meters, the better specs ones (MX 54C and 56C), and pick the ones in best condition, and leave a battery in these, and keep them on hand, ready to use. Then all the others will stay in storage, battery less. 

I don't know....

Oh, while looking into the containers searching for DMMs... I found some more power cords, a dozen of them !  :palm:
Mostly crappy 2 pronged ones. I will throw all of that straight to the bin, I am done with power cords ! :scared:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:35:45 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, ch_scr, FransW, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, BILLPOD, DH7DN

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #111302 on: January 16, 2022, 12:46:10 am »
Day-um Vince! You need more child slave-made drawers!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #111303 on: January 16, 2022, 12:49:18 am »
I have always been fascinated by this method to try to remember acronyms or such, using weird non-sensicla phrases. I find it's very popular among english speaking countries, somehow.
Never had that in Frogland...

To me remembering a silly phrase is way, way harder and prone to errors, than just trying to remember the technical info to begin with.

Here's one I concocted myself thirty odd years ago.  I can still remember it - and can work out what each item is by stepping through them.  I leave it to the membership to identify what it represents.  It is not TEA related, but I am certain there would be several members who have the knowledge....

Fast food Bars kNow* Every Referee Loves Double Sized Big Macs Or French Fries Propelled Towards Grounchy Coaches

*  (A bit of a kludge, I know - but it is phonetic)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 03:54:29 am by Brumby »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #111304 on: January 16, 2022, 12:58:00 am »
While you are all discording because I am sure it's become an official word by now.... I am still busy excavating and sorting lab stuff.

This evening was the turn of my DMMs. started collecting them 4/5 years ago maybe, and every time I would put a new 9V battery in them.

That was not maybe not such a good idea, not just for corrosion, but if just for cost because 9V batteries are very expensive and having so many of them draining away unused, is just a huge waste  ::)

So I searched all my drawers and containers to try and make sure I had unearthed each and every one of them, and took them all apart one by one to check for corrosion (found only 2 with slight corrosion on the terminal only, were still working fine, but will open them up anyway to make sure..), and battery condition. A bin for the good (enough) batteries, which I will keep, and a bin for the bad or not so good ones, which will go to recycling.

Noticed my WaveTek DM27XT LCR meter has a big LCD problem sadly... you can barely see a faint segment or two.... but battery is healthy and it beeps healthily as well. So I guess just bad LCD connections ?!  :-//  I don't know if it uses zebra strips, will have to check. Hopefully I can bring it back to life, I like this little LCR meter, and it's my only one as well !

I understand removing the batteries from stuff you don't use for long periods of time is necessary but... the problem is that now if I want to take a random meter to give it some use time and have some fun with it... I can't, because it doesn't work any more... having to take it aprt to stik a battery in it, play with it for short while then 10 minutes later have to take it aprt again, remove the battery and put it back in "storage"... it's just too cumbersome, it's not fun anymore !  :(
So I do'nt know... maybe I will try to find a compromise. Most of these meters are duplicates, the Metrix MX ones at least.
So maybe I could select just a few meters, the better specs ones (MX 54C and 56C), and pick the ones in best condition, and leave a battery in these, and keep them on hand, ready to use. Then all the others will stay in storage, battery less. 

I don't know....

Oh, while looking into the containers searching for DMMs... I found some more power cords, a dozen of them !  :palm:
Mostly crappy 2 pronged one. I will throw all of that straight to the bin, I am done with power cords ! :scared:

This is why it's so hard to find Metrix meters, Vince has them all!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #111305 on: January 16, 2022, 01:00:33 am »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111306 on: January 16, 2022, 01:35:58 am »
Here's some shots of the Boonton 4220A power meter. Observe the packing material - some sort of clothing fabric LOL. But as far as packing seems pretty good. Also kept the meter nice and warm.  :-DD

It uses a Z80 CPU. The boards are clean and nicely made. Technology light years beyond the Model 42A.

The good news: I have observed the 4220A power meter readings using my Agilent 8648A (accuracy +/- 1 dB) as the source. After the 4220A is zeroed and calibrated with its 0.0 dBm reference, at least at and below 1.0 GHz, it sure seems accurate enough for hobby use like checking power out of HAM transmitters. Certainly less than 1 dB error from what I had the Agilent set to output.

I piped the cal ref from an hp 436A into an hp step atten. (has 10 dB steps). I set up for 60 dB atten. The hp atten. (model 355D) has an insertion loss of ~0.2 dB and accuracy of +/- 1.5 dB. The 4220A is indicating -60.11 dBm.

It does not have any cal sheet in the (empty) paper packet under the top lid, nor do I have any more information on the sensor other than the cal factors on the sensor label.

Kosmic: is there any more I can do other than entering the cal factors into memory per the manual instructions on page 6-11, for this sensor model? There are also "upscale" and "downscale" cal points listed for this sensor (51011) that can be entered. Or is it a waste of time to do that (i.e. would it be any more accurate than it is now?)

I did try the procedure which begins with entering the sensor model number and then the last four digits of the sensor serial #. It did take these values (I know they don't "do" anything though).
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, duckduck, Peter_O

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111307 on: January 16, 2022, 01:42:37 am »
Day-um Vince! You need more child slave-made drawers!  :-DD

Oh yeah !  ;D

Lemme see... oh, these drawers are the PERFECT size for the Metrix meters !  :D

The ones in a cardboard box, I can shove two of them in a drawer, it fits as you can see absolutely PER -FEC -TLY !  :o

The ones that are in a leather case, fit perfect as well  8)

And those, the bulk of them, case-less, even when fitted with their big rubber bumper, I can still fit 3 of them just fine  8)

I calculated I would need about 3 drawer units to store all my DMMs !  :scared: 
Nope... need much bigger drawers... just like the power cords do.

Plus, the NIB Metrix in its large plastic suit case, is way too big... though it is exactly the same (exterior) dimensions as the drawer !

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 02:38:42 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111308 on: January 16, 2022, 01:49:55 am »
Still a bit too cold for the BBQ over here. Was -25DegC this morning ;D

I don't know, I reckon you lot are getting soft. I have Croatian and Indian neighbours who fire up the BBQ all year around.

In Kashmir they wear the barbecue under their clothes. Alps known as a kangri https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanger

Ooh, Tandoori Testicles!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111309 on: January 16, 2022, 01:55:47 am »

This evening was the turn of my DMMs. started collecting them 4/5 years ago maybe, and every time I would put a new 9V battery in them.

That was not maybe not such a good idea, not just for corrosion, but if just for cost because 9V batteries are very expensive and having so many of them draining away unused, is just a huge waste  ::)

So I searched all my drawers and containers to try and make sure I had unearthed each and every one of them, and took them all apart one by one to check for corrosion (found only 2 with slight corrosion on the terminal only, were still working fine, but will open them up anyway to make sure..), and battery condition. A bin for the good (enough) batteries, which I will keep, and a bin for the bad or not so good ones, which will go to recycling.

I understand removing the batteries from stuff you don't use for long periods of time is necessary but... the problem is that now if I want to take a random meter to give it some use time and have some fun with it... I can't, because it doesn't work any more... having to take it aprt to stik a battery in it, play with it for short while then 10 minutes later have to take it aprt again, remove the battery and put it back in "storage"... it's just too cumbersome, it's not fun anymore !  :(
So I do'nt know... maybe I will try to find a compromise. Most of these meters are duplicates, the Metrix MX ones at least.

I don't know....

Mostly crappy 2 pronged one. I will throw all of that straight to the bin, I am done with power cords ! :scared:

Except for the one I have and he isn't getting his grubby little hands on it either, I'm keeping it (centre zero bar graph is very handy to have)  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111310 on: January 16, 2022, 02:15:07 am »
Except for the one I have and he isn't getting his grubby little hands on it either, I'm keeping it (centre zero bar graph is very handy to have)  :-DD :-DD

I did think of you about that.... recently I found, at long last, a good deal for MX 50/51/52 Metrix.

It ticked all the boxes : excellent shape, quasi NIB, came in its plastic suit case with foam in tip top shape, just like my MX53 at the top left of my overview pic. And it was very reasonably priced. Not dirt cheap, but not very expensive either.... I ALMOST fell for it !  But it was an MX 51 not a 52, so I thought no, I am short on cash so it's not reasonable to buy a 51 knowing I would buy a 52 later as soon as I can find one. So I was reasonable and kept my money.  A couple days ago ShakalNokturn told me bought it ! ... but to flip it, already sold it.

Well one day I will find a nice 52  ;D

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111311 on: January 16, 2022, 02:29:28 am »
Kosmic: is there any more I can do other than entering the cal factors into memory per the manual instructions on page 6-11, for this sensor model? There are also "upscale" and "downscale" cal points listed for this sensor (51011) that can be entered. Or is it a waste of time to do that (i.e. would it be any more accurate than it is now?)

I did try the procedure which begins with entering the sensor model number and then the last four digits of the sensor serial #. It did take these values (I know they don't "do" anything though).

The Upscale and Downscale data is the AC calibration of the sensor. Boonton was including those on a sheet of paper with the sensor. Would definitely improve accuracy and this is something I could produce if I had the sensor in my hands.

If the current accuracy is enough don't touch anything. Down the road if your friend need more, you could always send me the sensor for calibration.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111312 on: January 16, 2022, 02:57:20 am »
If the current accuracy is enough don't touch anything. Down the road if your friend need more, you could always send me the sensor for calibration.

Right-O. Thanks for the tips. I may take you up on the calibration offer later.  :-+

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #111313 on: January 16, 2022, 03:20:05 am »
forgive me for I have sinned ...

https://www.napoleon.com/en/es/grills/products/gas-grills/rogue-series/rogue-425-rsb-rb425rsbpk-1-es

I imported a Weber Genesis (stainless steel model no less!) from USA to Japan because no-one sells a barbeque that can be hooked up to town gas here in Japan (I got a gas outlet installed on the balcony when we built the place).
Cost me a stupid amount for transporting it, but even the wife doesn't regret it one bit. In summer it gets used at least once a week.

The only thing I regret is not buying the bigger model. :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #111314 on: January 16, 2022, 04:26:16 am »

https://www.napoleon.com/en/es/grills/products/gas-grills/rogue-series/rogue-425-rsb-rb425rsbpk-1-es

I hope you got the version made in Canada!

Not because it is capable of operating at -25 C, although I can confirm that an older larger model (465 series) is still effective at -28 C.

Check your warranty.  The version made in Canada has a 10 year warranty, at least for those units sold in Canada.  It also has a service and support phone number available 24/7.

The exact same model is also available in Canada, but made in China, although it comes with either a 90 day or 1 year warranty... usually at chain stores like Crappy Tire.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #111315 on: January 16, 2022, 04:30:58 am »
" Campingaz " ?! Can't believe it, is that something you brought home when coming back from a trip to France, or does that mean these things are so state of the art that no local / UK manufacturer can make some of their own ?!  :-//

Not complaining... helps the French economy !  :-+

Pretty common, I think. At least in Belgium and the Netherlands it's a household name.

Very common here in Quebec as well.  Less common but easily found in the rest of Canada.  Here, especially around Montreal, you cannot shorten it to "gaz", otherwise everyone gets confused with "essence".  Vince would not be happy with this state of the language...  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #111316 on: January 16, 2022, 05:50:18 am »

I hope you got the version made in Canada!

Not because it is capable of operating at -25 C, although I can confirm that an older larger model (465 series) is still effective at -28 C.

Check your warranty.  The version made in Canada has a 10 year warranty, at least for those units sold in Canada.  It also has a service and support phone number available 24/7.

The exact same model is also available in Canada, but made in China, although it comes with either a 90 day or 1 year warranty... usually at chain stores like Crappy Tire.

came with a staggered warranty. up to 15years on some parts, 10 on others, 5 on the burners if I remember correctly.

I did not look at the made in label yet. it cost an arm and a leg tho.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111317 on: January 16, 2022, 05:54:04 am »
which reminds me ... I did go back to the store and grabbed the Apollo 200 water smoker as it was discontinued and discounted to 250 which included the protective cover. The only thing we don't have is that sizzle zone ...

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #111318 on: January 16, 2022, 06:33:30 am »
I was going to check into Discord yesterday but I've had trouble sleeping lately and I sacked out just before 1600 hours local time and basically slept until now.....0100 hours local time Sunday. So now I'm wide awake and I'll put the coffee on and get some work done. Such as the 2nd coat of poly on the plug-in cabinet.

Temperature outside is frigid -16C. Not as cold as folks in GWN but none the less unpleasant. Sunday night is predicted for our first genuine Winter storm of the season. Right now snowfall predictions are all over the map. From 3 inches to 12+ inches. And later is supposed to warm up and change to freezing rain and then all rain. That should make for a nice mess. Luckily for schools and gov Monday is a holiday. But the average Joe still has to get to work. But not this average Joe. Being retired I'll stand in the window drinking my coffee and watching the cars go slipping and sliding.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, BILLPOD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #111319 on: January 16, 2022, 07:05:19 am »
Well that didn't take very long. 2nd coat of poly applied. Give it a few hours drying then I'll be able to install the aluminum shelving and then it will be complete. And I'll show where this cabinet will be placed out of the way but easy access.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111320 on: January 16, 2022, 07:30:05 am »
Geez, what the bleeding hell is going on over in America, LA in particular? I've just seen this BBC TV report of goods trains being robbed, even while they are moving. The thieves they say are looking high value items and just throwing other stuff of the trains.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-60006306

Are you sure it was the news, and not Fast & Furious 5?   :-DD

My parents still live in Los Angeles.  LA has always had a lot of drugs and drug crime, but  this is new.   

It used to be mail boxes.  Maybe it still is.   Thieves would pop open the boxes at condo and apartment boxes and take everything.   

Happened to us twice in San Diego.   Along with merchandise, they would be looking for anything to use for identity theft or actual credit and debit cards. 

Unrelated?  -- There are a lot of visible homeless in LA.  There are entire blocks with tents on the streets.    The official count is about 66,000 but it feels like more than that.      We both notice how many more tent there were on our last visit.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/12/875888864/homelessness-in-los-angeles-county-rises-sharply?t=1642317980726

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #111321 on: January 16, 2022, 07:33:42 am »
I spent 2 weeks in LA once, in 1994. Was not impressed.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111322 on: January 16, 2022, 07:49:47 am »
When I was younger, so much younger than today I never needed anybody's help to stay in LA ...
Up to the early 90s it was sort of ok ... you were not to cross La Cienega east, there was only one drive by shooting in Westchester, and the area around Belford/Manchester Ave was mostly ok. I did take the bicycle to go from Westchester to Culver City to Santa Monica/Beverly Hills and back. Even dared walking from Santa Monica to Beverly Hills and back. Nothing bad happened to me.

In 94 this had already changed. On a layover: get into Motel (which was in Inglewood, still on Manchester).
While taking an early morning stroll I was greeted by eldery naturally sun tanned man who was jogging along. Later that day was told that I should not have taken that stroll cuz it was the wrong part of town. I had one additional layover, and I felt decidedly unsafe. This was when I decided that Los Angeles had deteriorated into a great California Shitshow and that it was time to gtfo.

Similarly, 20 years ago, SFO felt mostly safe. Nowadays - why in Odins name should I stop by in SFO ?

I visited Houston in 2016 and felt safe there. Even though it might not have been. But: people were friendly, minding their own business, and I did not feel a threatening atmosphere.

In 2020 which was the last time I was in the US I flew into HNL. Spent my vacation walking about in the desert when all of a sudden I saw a turtoise around HNL, even the run down areas, where I did not feel that great tbh, but all in all nothing bad happened to me. I did not feel unsafe. Which I did in LA.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111323 on: January 16, 2022, 08:01:05 am »
First glance at the Flintstones pinball:

works, CMOS and most likely battery dead. Need to check for leaking battery.
Parts of the General Illumination (G.I.) dead, most likely a burnt connector as the wire gauge and the molex connector are not fit to handle the current. Swap out for LEDs is indicated, followed by repair (exchange) of the Molex connectors on the Power Board and the cabling.

Full rubber swap is indicated. Playfield is ok, Cabinet looks good.

Will need to check if this is a WPC or a WPC-S CPU (not sure right now). In any case, I should have plenty of spares. Will need to assess damage to pin for complete overhaul and most likely just order a complete LED kit. Yes, I am lazy ... so what ...

Cost for overhaul: approx. 200€ including rubbers and LEDs. Repairs for the GI will include swap out of burnt connectors and maybe redoing the traces on the power board depending on the damage found.

Quick glance at the Bram StokersDracula: electronics condition unknown, some moron made some mods to a flipper finger, need to check if this can be removed without damage to the playfield.
Need to check if the transformer is ok.

If so this would be *bad* as spares are generally not available.

Great Lizard:
Playfield suffers abrasions, electronics condition: unknown.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111324 on: January 16, 2022, 08:02:40 am »
in other news I attained my 35kg weight loss. Going for the 40 kg mark.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Ice-Tea, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf