Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14962222 times)

factory, powerflux and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #124175 on: June 25, 2022, 03:05:43 pm »
New TE arrival!

TDS520, with acquisition and processor errors at boot!  More data to come. Optical state: Grimy but with all parts accounted for.

Hopefully the SMD caps haven't burned off too many traces  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #124176 on: June 25, 2022, 03:15:33 pm »
Update of the bent Type 547.

Covers and handle assembly are painted. No longer looks like a rolling wreck.

View of the right side. The rear cover retainer exploded into several pieces. Once that happens it's kaput. Can't be repaired. Luckily the cover stays in place.

My solution for the gap between the mainframe and the plug-in. One eighth inch foam insulating tape cut to size around the perimeter. It at least seals the gap. I did look at trying to move that plug-in subassembly back to close the gap but no go.

All mechanical restoration is now complete. Gave the beast a good cleaning and turned out looking pretty good. For now this one is complete. Electrical restoration at a later date. Have other projects to do first.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli, m k

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124177 on: June 25, 2022, 03:23:22 pm »
Urgh just found another copy of my ham license. Shredded!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #124178 on: June 25, 2022, 03:27:29 pm »

Here, they're perpetual. SSA membership is another thing, but it's not required. Once you've got the license, it's yours until SK. In recent times, there's been some changes; if you want to run 400 or more W output, you need to apply for a time-limited license.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #124179 on: June 25, 2022, 03:28:17 pm »
New TE arrival!

TDS520, with acquisition and processor errors at boot!  More data to come. Optical state: Grimy but with all parts accounted for.

Hopefully the SMD caps haven't burned off too many traces  :-DD

Yup. Price was OK, though; free to pick up.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124180 on: June 25, 2022, 03:31:34 pm »
Yes good luck with the caps/corrosion on your TDS !  :scared:

But if it' free, worth a shot !  >:D

If not repairable or too much work, you can always sell the parts on Ebay, should sell like hot cakes.

Can't wait for the pictures and progress reports, get cracking !  :box:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 03:35:51 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #124181 on: June 25, 2022, 03:33:15 pm »
I don't know if USA ham licenses have to be renewed or not.

As I recall my 11 meter license was permanent. I still remember my call sign even though no one ever used them. KBHY5427.   :D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #124182 on: June 25, 2022, 03:39:23 pm »

As I recall my 11 meter license was permanent. I still remember my call sign even though no one ever used them. KBHY5427.   :D

Yes every ten years.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #124183 on: June 25, 2022, 03:39:50 pm »
Well, I'm an idiot...... Or Advantest could have put all the info in the fkn service manual....

After chasing my tail on the Error 05 on this R6144 Volt/Current Generator, I opened up the User manual on a whim and saw that there was more info regarding the error messages than in the Service manual!

The service manual says "Check these parts: blah blah blah" and nothing else, not even what the error means. The User manual says "This error means 'this', press these buttons to fix it".

Turns out Error 05 just needs the SRAM reset, so once I pressed the magic button on boot, it was all cleared, no errors any more. Fkn hell, if only I had read the User manual to service this unit instead of being such a dumbarse to go straight to the Service manual.....  |O  :-DD

Anyway, now it boots with no errors (but... I did find and replace a bunch of faulty parts, so not is all wasted anyway, and I know all logic chips on the processor board are good now....). Next step is to wait for the replacement flat-flex cable to arrive from Aliexpress to replace the existing busted one for connecting to the front panel PCB.

All going well, I'll have a functioning R6144 soon, ready for adjustment and calibration. Then I'll use it to calibrate my TDS210 scope. :)

Anyway, back to the important things, polishing off my 5th Smirnoff.  ;D
Good to hear the fix; meantime I've checked my stock of LT1021-7 ;)
Unfortunately, I don't have LT1008, only his evil twin, LT1012(slightly better performance, different compensation, identical internal schematic)
Enjoy the R6144.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #124184 on: June 25, 2022, 03:47:42 pm »

Yes every ten years.

Gee, that must really stretch some of those Hobo's abilities.  :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124185 on: June 25, 2022, 03:47:48 pm »

Here, they're perpetual. SSA membership is another thing, but it's not required. Once you've got the license, it's yours until SK. In recent times, there's been some changes; if you want to run 400 or more W output, you need to apply for a time-limited license.

You have to check in with Ofcom every 5 years here. Mine expires in 2026. If you don’t check in you just have to fill in a lot of paperwork to get it back I understand.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #124186 on: June 25, 2022, 03:49:57 pm »

Yes every ten years.

You have to get an FCC account and log in, figure out how to do what you need to do using the system of a massive bureaucracy ...

so yes you are right.  :palm:

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124187 on: June 25, 2022, 03:51:07 pm »

Yes every ten years.

Nah it coincides with their decade interval shower.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #124188 on: June 25, 2022, 04:14:03 pm »
How many times have I told myself......RTFM......after beating my head against the wall.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  ;D

Only an idiot reads the manual before doing something. I discovered that the return of investment favours those who don’t read the manual. Especially if paid hourly  :-DD

Edit: decided to write a book this afternoon while cleaning.

At least my expense on this Advantest R6144 unit is still in the tens of dollars, so it is faaar below the current market value so I'm still ahead (not counting time, but who counts that? :D )

But bd139, you can't drop a juicy hint like that and not elaborate!, what is this book you speak of?!

(currently 6 smirnoffs, 1 shochu, and 2 beers in to the long road of inebriation.. fun! )
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 04:23:59 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #124189 on: June 25, 2022, 04:20:24 pm »
New TE arrival!

Please!..... Rip the firmware out for me!
I'm trying to collect as many versions of the firmware for the TDS units as possible (and upload them to the tekwiki). :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/unified-tektool-released-!-(firmware-flash-tools-for-old-tds-series)/msg3758918/#msg3758918

I love you long time baby!

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, DC1MC, mansaxel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124190 on: June 25, 2022, 04:23:43 pm »
At least my expense on this Advantest R6144 unit is still in the tens of dollars, so it is faaar below the current market value so I'm still ahead (not counting time, but who counts that? :D )

But bd139, you can't drop a juicy hint like that and not elaborate!, what is this book you speak of?!

(currently 6 smirnoffs, 1 shochu, and 2 beers in to the long road of inebriation.. fun! )

That is a suitable amount of alcohol to ingest before hitting eBay with the credit card  :-DD

As for the book, been mulling the idea of writing a book for about ten years. Subject matter is basically all those bits of info that everyone should know before doing a Udemy “how to code” tutorial. I encounter a lot of people who can’t even visualise what a computer or network looks like past some opaque magic and expect me to fill the gaps in  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #124191 on: June 25, 2022, 04:28:40 pm »

That is a suitable amount of alcohol to ingest before hitting eBay with the credit card  :-DD

As for the book, been mulling the idea of writing a book for about ten years. Subject matter is basically all those bits of info that everyone should know before doing a Udemy “how to code” tutorial. I encounter a lot of people who can’t even visualise what a computer or network looks like past some opaque magic and expect me to fill the gaps in  :-DD

My brother, who has extensive experience in control systems and building management systems etc has an early draft on a book about such things including the seemingly simple subject of grounding, which is, in fact, not simple.at.all......

I keep telling him to work on it and publish, but it has yet to see the light of day.

All I can say is, don't get to the 90% mark and give up! ;) As we say in Japan, Gambatte!

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #124192 on: June 25, 2022, 04:28:46 pm »

Well if you change your mind and decide to write "How to Live With a Redhead and Survive" I'll co-author it with you.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #124193 on: June 25, 2022, 04:30:28 pm »

Well if you change your mind and decide to write "How to Live With a Redhead and Survive" I'll co-author it with you.  :P :-DD

And I'm in as co-author of the sequel "How to Live With a Japanese Wife and Survive" :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #124194 on: June 25, 2022, 04:32:24 pm »

And I'm in as co-author of the sequel "How to Live With a Japanese Wife and Survive" :-DD

I thought Japanese wimens were submissive and meek? No?

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124195 on: June 25, 2022, 04:34:54 pm »
Oh I did it again.  Bought a Tek 465B  :-DD

So, Twickenham<->Chieveley<->Andover tomorrow?

Well, if you need another where the trigger/sweep doesn't work and I CBA'd to look at it...

I'll probably go to Chieveley tomorrow, since it currently looks like it won't be raining. Doubt I'll be selling anything other than pre-orders, though.

Yes keeping an eye on the weather for that too. Might take that off your hands. Figure I need a parts mule. I have a bearer with me to carry it tomorrow  :-DD

I only noticed the Andover location after I paid for delivery so have asked if I can pick up anyway. I got 10% off that price with the current offer as well which was nice.

I prefer a considerably lower price but it looks like it doesn’t work through user error rather than something electrical. Of course YMMV on that.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your 465B when it arrives, is it supposed to be working or was it a spares / repair unit?

Yeah what was that 10% offer all about then? My son had an offer, but I never had, could have used that as, although I'm currently having no luck on TE gear, I did win a Commodore calculator, one that I was not even aware that they made, a financial one that compliments my scientific one's. It has a broken battery connector, which I have a few knocking around, so no biggie, I may be wrong however, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the older red LED display, special function Commodore calculators are actually appreciating in value right now, while LCD calculators of all makes are getting really cheap.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124196 on: June 25, 2022, 04:37:08 pm »

I would buy that based on my social circle at the moment. The woman in question was offended at my mention of Wagamama being quite good on a hiking trip and has made it a mission to take me to some decent Japanese restaurants. Going out again with her on Tuesday…  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, mansaxel, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124197 on: June 25, 2022, 04:39:22 pm »

LOL the one I’m friends with is a deeply cynical vicious sick and twisted individual. Conversion diverged into anal polyps and how good laughing gas is last time. Just how I like them  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TERRA Operative

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #124198 on: June 25, 2022, 04:41:58 pm »

LOL the one I’m friends with is a deeply cynical vicious sick and twisted individual. Conversion diverged into anal polyps and how good laughing gas is last time. Just how I like them  :-DD

:-DD :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124199 on: June 25, 2022, 04:42:24 pm »
Oh I did it again.  Bought a Tek 465B  :-DD

So, Twickenham<->Chieveley<->Andover tomorrow?

Well, if you need another where the trigger/sweep doesn't work and I CBA'd to look at it...

I'll probably go to Chieveley tomorrow, since it currently looks like it won't be raining. Doubt I'll be selling anything other than pre-orders, though.

Yes keeping an eye on the weather for that too. Might take that off your hands. Figure I need a parts mule. I have a bearer with me to carry it tomorrow  :-DD

I only noticed the Andover location after I paid for delivery so have asked if I can pick up anyway. I got 10% off that price with the current offer as well which was nice.

I prefer a considerably lower price but it looks like it doesn’t work through user error rather than something electrical. Of course YMMV on that.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your 465B when it arrives, is it supposed to be working or was it a spares / repair unit?

Yeah what was that 10% offer all about then? My son had an offer, but I never had, could have used that as, although I'm currently having no luck on TE gear, I did win a Commodore calculator, one that I was not even aware that they made, a financial one that compliments my scientific one's. It has a broken battery connector, which I have a few knocking around, so no biggie, I may be wrong however, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the older red LED display, special function Commodore calculators are actually appreciating in value right now, while LCD calculators of all makes are getting really cheap.

Use code BAG10OFF on checkout for buy it now items. Worked for me.

As for the scope, it’s an untested one but it looks like user error. I mean it could be knackered still but it’s complete. Time will tell.

Try Hp calculators. They discontinued the HP 35S and 50G now which means everyone is going mental for RPN calculators  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf