Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14950843 times)

Carl_Smith and 186 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #124975 on: July 03, 2022, 01:40:41 am »

Well, it's a real shame you didn't make that clear from the start  :palm:

He did.
Not in his very first post on page 4994 post #124828 he didn't, but it appears that he did in post #124837, some 9 posts after the first mention that a dispute had been opened. Somehow I missed this post as I was scrolling down trying to catch up with all the days' activity, and so I still stand by my claim, he didn't mention it in his first post about the problem. :popcorn:

"pppppttttpbbbbbbbllllllpppppttttttpppbbbblll!!!"

mnem
Still don't make it right to be puttin' 'is garbage up for sale on eBay when 'e should be throwin' it in the dumpster. >:(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:55:33 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124976 on: July 03, 2022, 01:52:54 am »
   Why the fuck didn't I look closer and notice this immediately?   
Ah, well.... that's gonna be more difficult to fix than a circuit board for sure... but not all hope is lost ! I mean you just bragged about how good your other half was at sucking, maybe she can bring the vacuum back into this CRT ?!  :-//   No, I did NOT just say this, wasn't me officer !!!!   :scared:

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

mnem
I should tell her you said that... and give her your address. >:D

Vince would have to wait till after she finished belting your scaly arse!

Oh, when she starts doin' that... we're not goin' anywhere but the bedroom 'til mornin'.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #124977 on: July 03, 2022, 02:06:41 am »
WELCOME TO 5000!           

Indeed! :-DMM
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: HighVoltage, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Atomillo

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #124978 on: July 03, 2022, 02:11:55 am »
Normally when I'm driving and see a BMW, I scowl.

Why? All the people who used to give BMWs a bad name have moved on to driving Audis and Range Rovers.

They’ve moved on from there too. They all drive Teslas now. Probably so there’s some plausible deniability about their driving being cunty.

Down under (from my experience) we still have the classic BMW "entitled", closely followed by the Mercedes crowd.  Volvo drivers have evolved into an eclectic bunch - but you can generally identify driving habits from the model - the older tanks equate to "sedate" (somnambulistic) while the sportier versions are more likely to be quicker off the mark.  Telsa drivers, however, have been somewhat normal - not that we have a great many to observe.  Nevertheless, ANY vehicle with a white hat on the rear parcel shelf will be travelling at a speed that would allow someone to walk in front, waving a red lantern.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #124979 on: July 03, 2022, 02:24:13 am »
In other news, lots of new POI added to post #2 (the extension to the TE list in post #1). Does anyone actually use the POI lists to find stuff in this thread? ???

Yes, I use the POI sometimes. Thanks for maintaining it  :-+
Same here.  Your efforts are muchly appreciated!!

I have an item on my To Do list - to open up my HP 8656B, do a photo shoot and share those pics here.  I am planning to do this when I get around to my RIFA defusing - but there's no sight of that happening just yet.  The way the boards open up like a butterfly is really impressive - but it means I have to make a decent amount of space on my (diminutive) bench.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124980 on: July 03, 2022, 02:35:56 am »
Talking of hats in the back of cars: A bloke I used to know used to say that you can make a car invisible to the police by leaving a homburg hat in the rear window.  :)

I don't know if the following still works simply because I don't know if the police still use them, but one trick was to leave a hardbacked log book that looked like the  log books police were required to fill out on taking a car out on the dashboard - strategically placed so that the front and spine were invisible outside the car.  Acted as a near perfect traffic warden repellant. (Anybody remember actual traffic wardens rather than the council parking goons we have nowadays?)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #124981 on: July 03, 2022, 02:55:52 am »
My take on the Dwagon's eBay experience - translated into the vehicular world....

"Door handle missing. Lights come on but engine won't start."

Alternatively...
"Door handle missing. Lights come on but vehicle doesn't move." ... only to find out the transmission is missing - and the crankshaft has been damaged in its removal.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 02:59:34 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124982 on: July 03, 2022, 03:16:44 am »
You forgot the important part: You can inspect the vehicle, but only from a distance of at least 10 feet. If you want to open doors or pop the hood, not until you've paid to have it towed to your house.

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a flywheel mallet*   :=\

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124983 on: July 03, 2022, 03:24:29 am »
WELCOME TO 5000!           

Indeed! :-DMM

Yeah, I figured in honor of page 5000...What the hey... Might as well post something that's actually on topic for a change.  :-DD

mnem
Fun fact: a 54645A cannot taste blueberries.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124984 on: July 03, 2022, 03:48:49 am »

Why? All the people who used to give BMWs a bad name have moved on to driving Audis and Range Rovers.

They’ve moved on from there too. They all drive Teslas now. Probably so there’s some plausible deniability about their driving being cunty.

Down under (from my experience) we still have the classic BMW "entitled", closely followed by the Mercedes crowd.  Volvo drivers have evolved into an eclectic bunch - but you can generally identify driving habits from the model - the older tanks equate to "sedate" (somnambulistic) while the sportier versions are more likely to be quicker off the mark.  Telsa drivers, however, have been somewhat normal - not that we have a great many to observe.  Nevertheless, ANY vehicle with a white hat on the rear parcel shelf will be travelling at a speed that would allow someone to walk in front, waving a red lantern.

Back in the day, the WA cops normally wore a blue serge uniform & white peaked hats like this: http://www.policemansway.com/collection/detail/white-police-cap-wa/

My brother, who was a ship's Radio officer on the State Ships, used to chuck his very similar uniform cap on the rear parcel shelf.
After a while, it dawned on him why all the cars around him were being driven so immaculately. ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #124985 on: July 03, 2022, 03:57:02 am »
In on page 5000. Vacation (holiday) was great. I'm hopelessly behind. And I have nothing to say.  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 03:58:37 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #124986 on: July 03, 2022, 04:09:00 am »
@mans
I may have an HDMI matrix thingies that I don't need.
in fact a passive and an active one. just have to find it.
I am still not past COVID, but when I am back on my feet I can have a look.
PN if interested pls.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 04:18:59 am by Saskia »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124987 on: July 03, 2022, 04:22:44 am »
WELCOME TO 5000!           

From the Agilent 54654N diagrams, that were linked to recently.
The monitor cable has three connections for +15V and ground, six total.
Three connections for the intensity pot.
Last four connections are half bright, full bright, HS (Hsync?) and VS (Vsync?).
Interesting the HS goes through a 74393 to provide the probe compensation signal.
HS & VS come from the big Jackal custom IC and the half bright, full bright from a PAL IC.

Other relevant pages have been cropped, rotated & added below.

This forum post suggest the Hsync is 19.72kHz and the Vsync is 60Hz.
https://www-elektronik-si.translate.goog/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=c8ec2c01726d6cc1ee123fe5ebbe8c3d&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Guess I need to locate those on my 54615B, to try & narrow down where my intermittent horizontal roll problem is, but it's not the same board.

David

Okay, I've traced out the 54621D and the VCC, GND are in the same locations, plus Pin 10 dssig_grd is also tied directly to GND. However the BRIGHTNESS pot is not brought out to this header on the 54621D.

VSync                                                    HSync 

My guess is that 13/14 are still the sync signals, and they have repurposed 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 for their greyscale scheme. 54645A agrees; trace 1 is the 54621D, trace 2 is the 54600A.

However, pin 8 is a different story; all I'm getting from the 54600A is noise.   :wtf:

Then the light dawns; the pot isn't connected to the monitor PCB, duh. Then it occurs to me the voltages usually present on a brightness pot, so I connect the cable back in the 54600A and probe the pot. Yup... (-58V) sent out pin 9 to the pot. Without knowing how the 54621D does its greyscale, I'm not too sanguine about connecting that (-58V) back to its mainboard.

I think this is probably a good point to call it a night. ;)

mnem
 :-BROKE

Hi Dwagon,
Did you see my posts
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4275517/#msg4275517
and
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4275556/#msg4275556

Looks like same video scheme as the 892x series a Gondbes 8220 video converter would be my next stop.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #124988 on: July 03, 2022, 05:11:30 am »

Down under (from my experience) we still have the classic BMW "entitled", closely followed by the Mercedes crowd.  Volvo drivers have evolved into an eclectic bunch - but you can generally identify driving habits from the model - the older tanks equate to "sedate" (somnambulistic) while the sportier versions are more likely to be quicker off the mark.  Tesla drivers, however, have been somewhat normal - not that we have a great many to observe.  Nevertheless, ANY vehicle with a white hat on the rear parcel shelf will be travelling at a speed that would allow someone to walk in front, waving a red lantern.

I drove 1h30 on the Autobahn yesterday evening. The Teslas are mostly absent; think I saw 2. That woulda been 20 in Sweden. Still Audi and BMW in the left lane. If I with my shooting brake (which by no means is slow, just a bit more conservatively driven) am left there too long, I will have a An Entitled Driver up my bum quite soon.  And that will be an Audi.

It took all the way from Travemünde to Hamburg for the Swedish over-representation to subside; that what happens when an entire ferry-load of Volvos gets dumped on the Autobahn 226 at Kücknitz.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124989 on: July 03, 2022, 06:37:01 am »

Down under (from my experience) we still have the classic BMW "entitled", closely followed by the Mercedes crowd.  Volvo drivers have evolved into an eclectic bunch - but you can generally identify driving habits from the model - the older tanks equate to "sedate" (somnambulistic) while the sportier versions are more likely to be quicker off the mark.  Tesla drivers, however, have been somewhat normal - not that we have a great many to observe.  Nevertheless, ANY vehicle with a white hat on the rear parcel shelf will be travelling at a speed that would allow someone to walk in front, waving a red lantern.

I drove 1h30 on the Autobahn yesterday evening. The Teslas are mostly absent; think I saw 2. That woulda been 20 in Sweden. Still Audi and BMW in the left lane. If I with my shooting brake (which by no means is slow, just a bit more conservatively driven) am left there too long, I will have a An Entitled Driver up my bum quite soon.  And that will be an Audi.

It took all the way from Travemünde to Hamburg for the Swedish over-representation to subside; that what happens when an entire ferry-load of Volvos gets dumped on the Autobahn 226 at Kücknitz.

Yonks ago, I remember driving a 100E Ford Popular back from London to Southampton on the M3.
Back in those days, the Poms were well into tailgating, with the worst offenders being "chaps driving Jaguars".
Downright terrifying, with the poor old "Pop" screaming its guts out, and a Jag bonnet emblem seemingly in the back seat.

Tailgating was not rare in Oz at the time, but I was surprised how 1970s Brits made an artform of it!
"Culture shock", I guess!

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #124990 on: July 03, 2022, 07:26:18 am »

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

mnem
I should tell her you said that... and give her your address. >:D
Do you need some help?
Edit: Changed for Vince
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 07:51:10 am by Zoli »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #124991 on: July 03, 2022, 08:28:10 am »
Now if someone had bought this they could have posted it for page numbering purposes...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225055579405

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #124992 on: July 03, 2022, 08:31:07 am »

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/hewlett-packard-kepco-uher-etc-/2146996418-168-3415

I will not drive to Berlin Steglitz, no I will not   :scared:

Yes you will drive, yes you will drive....

That said, we don't know how cool this stuff is until we know how much he wants for it  :-\

I mean the ad says : " Preise auf Anfrage! "

Now my German is more than rusty, but doesn't that mean " Price no Request " ?

So it's not like he was selling the entire lot for a bag of crisps... you buy one TE at a time and hope he is not too greedy.
So could get very expensive real fast...  :palm:

Still, worth picking 2 or 3 of your most preferred items I guess...

Have a good trip !  >:D

I am quite interested in what looks like an old A3 format HP Plotter...

I think, the HP 85 computer collection is special, esp. after having watched courious marc's episodes:

That would be an iteresting adventure, sure. But I have a complete 68000 based BASIC computer with GPIB inside my HP35665A to get startet into that topics without spending money or space.

I find the HP amp PSU most attractive, and maybe a 2225 Thinkjet to get connected via GPIB to scope and DSA.

But I have more toys here than I would be able to play with the next years to come, so I have to use every argument not to buy anything.
So - Seriously: No. I will not drive. It's a 600km roundtrip and I'm always bored to death after the 1st hour. And it's 200 Euros differerence to keeping the car parked.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124993 on: July 03, 2022, 08:41:37 am »

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/hewlett-packard-kepco-uher-etc-/2146996418-168-3415

I will not drive to Berlin Steglitz, no I will not   :scared:

Yes you will drive, yes you will drive....

That said, we don't know how cool this stuff is until we know how much he wants for it  :-\

I mean the ad says : " Preise auf Anfrage! "

Now my German is more than rusty, but doesn't that mean " Price no Request " ?

So it's not like he was selling the entire lot for a bag of crisps... you buy one TE at a time and hope he is not too greedy.
So could get very expensive real fast...  :palm:

Still, worth picking 2 or 3 of your most preferred items I guess...

Have a good trip !  >:D

I am quite interested in what looks like an old A3 format HP Plotter...

I think, the HP 85 computer collection is special, esp. after having watched courious marc's episodes:

That would be an iteresting adventure, sure. But I have a complete 68000 based BASIC computer with GPIB inside my HP35665A to get startet into that topics without spending money or space.

I find the HP amp PSU most attractive, and maybe a 2225 Thinkjet to get connected via GPIB to scope and DSA.

But I have more toys here than I would be able to play with the next years to come, so I have to use every argument not to buy anything.
So - Seriously: No. I will not drive. It's a 600km roundtrip and I'm always bored to death after the 1st hour. And it's 200 Euros differerence to keeping the car parked.  :scared:

On that I nearly bid on these the other day https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174986436119

Then I remembered I don’t like GP-IB  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #124994 on: July 03, 2022, 08:44:01 am »
Before rumors of my activities while on vacation get circulated I am forced to publish this unauthorized photograph of yours truly consuming forbidden chocolate cake. This is the only debauchery I will readily admit to since there is documented evidence. I wanted to scold the individual who committed this underhanded act but common sense got the better of me.  :-DD

(Did it affect my blood sugar? Only marginally. Was it good? Absolutely.)  ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, tautech, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, BILLPOD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124995 on: July 03, 2022, 08:55:55 am »
Worth it  :-DD

Welcome back to crazy town  :-DD

Edit: woohoo just sold 4 books to a local ham instead of getting mugged by ebay >:D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 09:27:14 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124996 on: July 03, 2022, 10:00:16 am »
[/color][/size][/b]

Now if someone had bought this they could have posted it for page numbering purposes...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225055579405

You are absolutely right... somehow I didn't think of this, and I have no real excuse  :-//

So here is mine  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, Zoli

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124997 on: July 03, 2022, 10:29:57 am »
Damm, I was weak and bought another clamp meter.... ::)
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144632456146

My excuse is I don't have the 2000A model and it was only £17.49 including postage.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:15:34 am by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #124998 on: July 03, 2022, 10:39:00 am »
5000 you say, here's one:

Then there was this from the cheap seats:
5000 not 5054, can't you count any more ?!  :-DD

Plus it's too late, we are at page 5001 already !!  :scared:
:-DD
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 10:54:47 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139