Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14958398 times)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #1250 on: May 01, 2017, 11:57:14 am »
My diddle-stick collection is a bit larger than that, but not so big it takes up a shoe box. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1251 on: May 01, 2017, 12:24:27 pm »
 I'm just going to pretend you never said that...   :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1252 on: May 01, 2017, 12:29:07 pm »
Ceramic screwdrivers and a few others -
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1253 on: May 01, 2017, 01:21:55 pm »

Just a few....
I do have a stash of Motorola alignment tools if I bust the one in the picture....
The Motorola tuning tool is the largest one in the pile.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #1254 on: May 01, 2017, 04:00:01 pm »
low Resistance Meter (4 wires), warm  :)

1-3-10-30-100-300 Ohms full scale . it works with a small sine wave of 10kHz

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:03:33 pm by Martin.M »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1255 on: May 01, 2017, 04:31:22 pm »
Looks nice Martin. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1256 on: May 01, 2017, 06:00:21 pm »

Just a few....

Ah, I see you also have the universal mighty-morphin' technician's tool in the upper-left. I use those for all kinds of things, the least of which is to hold sheets of paper together.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1257 on: May 01, 2017, 06:07:11 pm »
Is it TEA when you're slightly concerned about always having the right tuning tool, even though you only really use about 5 of them?

Nope. You're in the wrong place. The Precision Tool Anonymous (PTA) meeting is down the hall, second door on the right. ;)

Hmm - well maybe we could merge the groups or add a subsection of TEA?  I definitely suffer from both GAS and TAS. :-[

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1258 on: May 01, 2017, 06:08:27 pm »

Just a few....

Ah, I see you also have the universal mighty-morphin' technician's tool in the upper-left. I use those for all kinds of things, the least of which is to hold sheets of paper together.

It does that as well? Would never have known!

Now, if I could get those cool looking X shaped ones that were popular in the 1960's as project parts....

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ, bitseeker

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1259 on: May 01, 2017, 06:54:03 pm »
Is it TEA when you're slightly concerned about always having the right tuning tool, even though you only really use about 5 of them?

Nope. You're in the wrong place. The Precision Tool Anonymous (PTA) meeting is down the hall, second door on the right. ;)

Hmm - well maybe we could merge the groups or add a subsection of TEA?  I definitely suffer from both GAS and TAS. :-[

Ha Ha.  Don't get me started on the torque wrenches I have for proper tightening of SMA and N connectors.  (Got a pretty good deal on them used.)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1260 on: May 01, 2017, 09:30:42 pm »

Ha Ha.  Don't get me started on the torque wrenches I have for proper tightening of SMA and N connectors.  (Got a pretty good deal on them used.)
There is one of those wrenches in my future.
Now that I am acquiring gear that works beyond UHF I'm going to need one of those.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1261 on: May 01, 2017, 09:57:49 pm »
Here's a lovely little item. This is a cool flexible JAMMA extender, one would use for troubleshooting video game boards, but it works with the TM500 series connectors. This will be a keen tool to use for working on the plug-ins, one of which I have coming is known to have "no output".  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1262 on: May 01, 2017, 10:11:17 pm »
That looks like a handy harness, indeed. Gives you lots of wiggle room as compared to a riser board.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1263 on: May 01, 2017, 10:20:51 pm »
That is way nice...

I need to make some edge card extenders...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1264 on: May 01, 2017, 11:40:05 pm »
That is way nice...

I need to make some edge card extenders...

Thanks, it's gonna make life with these units a lot easier.

That looks like a handy harness, indeed. Gives you lots of wiggle room as compared to a riser board.

Oh man, trying to do detailed troubleshooting with a rigid card edge extender would not be fun. Having this is way easier as you can turn the unit in any direction you please. If anyone gets one keep in mind that on the PCB of this JAMMA extender pins 1/2 and 3/4 on each side are bridged. Best to cut those apart else you would short the +11.5VDC and 25 VAC power supplies together (if you chose to put that end at the bottom ) of the TM500 connector.   :)

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ, bitseeker

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1265 on: May 02, 2017, 01:31:59 am »
Here's a lovely little item. This is a cool flexible JAMMA extender, one would use for troubleshooting video game boards, but it works with the TM500 series connectors. This will be a keen tool to use for working on the plug-ins, one of which I have coming is known to have "no output".  :)

That's a sweet find.  I gots ta get me one of those...   :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1266 on: May 02, 2017, 06:09:48 pm »
More of what can happen when dealing with older test equipment ...

So as I said earlier some of the fuses were blown, and some were of the wrong value, so I ordered new ones, and received the today. So far so good. They are the correct size and values, but brand new. No problem right?

Wrong.

For some reason the new fuses have metal ends are not exactly the same diameter as 30 year old fuses. They are close - very very close, but when you stick them in the spade fuse holder (see pic) they are barely loose. You can see one new one in a clip in the pic, but even though it looks tight, it isn't. It's a matter of a very small amount, but just enough to where it's not holding it tightly.

So naturally I thought I'd gently bend the clips together just enough to make it a tight fit - but one side cracked off. Oh come on, I didn't bend it that far. So I tried another one in a different way, carefully, and another one cracked off. So I stopped with that endeavor.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone seen these kind of fuse holders anywhere? Or - what could I retrofit them with? I can remove the spare lugs and try something with them, but I'm afraid to do anything to another one until I get an idea how to make these clips tighter. Of all the weird things that could go wrong ...  >:(

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1267 on: May 02, 2017, 06:31:11 pm »
This:

and a little bit creative with the legs?

Or this?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:33:01 pm by PA0PBZ »
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #1268 on: May 02, 2017, 06:36:19 pm »
Wrap a shim e.g. some aluminum foil round one side of the holder 'leg'  ?
Or may melt a drop of solder on one of the holder 'legs' to tighten up the gap?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1269 on: May 02, 2017, 06:41:09 pm »
Or this?

Thanks yea the first one OK, would need some re-work, how do I search for the second type - what do you call it?

Or may melt a drop of solder on one of the holder 'legs' to tighten up the gap?

Yea put a thin layer of solder on each clip ...

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1270 on: May 02, 2017, 07:22:24 pm »
Thanks yea the first one OK, would need some re-work, how do I search for the second type - what do you call it?

Picture is from here: http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/fuse-clip-5x20mm-p-8348.html?osCsid=3t23qd8ph4eeonls09mdtv6u72
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1272 on: May 02, 2017, 11:04:07 pm »
More of what can happen when dealing with older test equipment ...

So as I said earlier some of the fuses were blown, and some were of the wrong value, so I ordered new ones, and received the today. So far so good. They are the correct size and values, but brand new. No problem right?

Wrong.

For some reason the new fuses have metal ends are not exactly the same diameter as 30 year old fuses. They are close - very very close, but when you stick them in the spade fuse holder (see pic) they are barely loose. You can see one new one in a clip in the pic, but even though it looks tight, it isn't. It's a matter of a very small amount, but just enough to where it's not holding it tightly.

So naturally I thought I'd gently bend the clips together just enough to make it a tight fit - but one side cracked off. Oh come on, I didn't bend it that far. So I tried another one in a different way, carefully, and another one cracked off. So I stopped with that endeavor.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone seen these kind of fuse holders anywhere? Or - what could I retrofit them with? I can remove the spare lugs and try something with them, but I'm afraid to do anything to another one until I get an idea how to make these clips tighter. Of all the weird things that could go wrong ...  >:(
Grrrrrr that would infuriate me.  :rant:
What a trap for the unwary.  :wtf: Could it be a metric/imperial measurement conversion discrepancy ?
Old imperial fuse that are now hard to source or poor modern manufacturing that has them just undersize ?   :-//

Anyways, thanks heaps for sharing this with us, it's something I've made a strong mental note of should I come across the same holders.
In some way I hope the replies can offer some therapy for finding yourself in this predicament.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1273 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:20 pm »
Grrrrrr that would infuriate me.  :rant:
What a trap for the unwary.  :wtf: Could it be a metric/imperial measurement conversion discrepancy ?
Old imperial fuse that are now hard to source or poor modern manufacturing that has them just undersize ?   :-//

Grrr is right. The fuses are sold as this -

Dimension: 6 mm (1/4 in) x 30 mm (1-1/4 in)

That is correct.

I measured the new fuses vs the old ones. The old vintage fuses are indeed 0.250 on my caliper. The new ones are 0.236" which is exactly 6mm. So the problem is the new fuses are 6mm (nominally 1/4"). Well, it doesn't seem like a big deal to call a 6mm fuse 1/4", most of the time it will fit in many older fuse holders with no issues. But in this case they don't fit tight enough and trying to bend the original holders that Tek used results in a FAIL.

A trap for young players (and older ones it appears  >:()

This would be a far better replacement for the originals:

Yes indeed and I found some like that on Ebay which I ordered. The Master Searcher comes through again!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1274 on: May 02, 2017, 11:59:46 pm »
 :)
Not Tek's fault at all then. Nominal measurements, yeah right.  ::)  :--

Still a crying shame those lovely old fuse holders were busted, got any donor units ?
I'd be looking for some NOS real 1/4" fuses.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf