Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14970434 times)

shakalnokturn and 163 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #125375 on: July 05, 2022, 05:35:42 pm »
..... but plenty of storage for TE and secure underground car park so the TE doesn't get wet unloading it from the car :-DD

Who else can see where this is going to end up!!    :scared:

eBay  :popcorn:

Just sold one of those HP displays for £25. That covers the 3776A purchase already!

Clearly underpriced.

Historical posts will be rewritten.

Yes regretting that. Ah well will try harder next time.

Still waiting for this Tek IC here. Hopefully some TE content after that...

Anyway I'm off to get some popcorn to eat while our government slowly resigns :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125376 on: July 05, 2022, 05:49:44 pm »
Try Santander. They have actually had the most clue I've experienced so far.

On a quick skim, Santander's login security is solely pin/password, without the possibility of a "what you have" number generator.

While I regard that as sufficient in the past (e.g. my account that I've had since 1975), and it might be OK for the intended use, for the future I'd like something better.
Nope, if you have a more modern smartphone, you have the option of fingerprint scanning as well, which works really well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125377 on: July 05, 2022, 05:51:58 pm »
Anyway I'm off to get some popcorn to eat while our government slowly resigns :-DD

I won't be properly entertained until I see Jacob Rees-Mogg scurrying along the embankment, pursued by a mod with flaming torches and pitchforks. It's the way he'd want to go, anything else would be too modern for him.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125378 on: July 05, 2022, 05:56:09 pm »
<Snip>

Lloyds have been very good for me for the last twenty-odd years, with good customer service in UK call centres. Though personally I would try to pick a bank with a branch as local to you as possible (such things do still exist, though sometimes I think they are only accessible from platform 12 3/4).

EDIT: Also their data centre is just down the road from me, so if they screw up I can knock on the door with a frowny face on...

Equally I can say the same about the Cooperative bank, local branches and an excellent banking app and 24hr telephone service.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125379 on: July 05, 2022, 06:06:47 pm »
Yep BD it's old, as I said the phone is from 2012 so 10 year old now  !

Yes they sent me an e-mail with a link / "invite "to join the meeting. I clicked on that, it then asked me to install the app. I click to do that, it opens up the " Android Store " , which then immediately says, in red letters : " Sorry your phone is not compatible with this version of the app ".

Well too bad !!!  :palm:

Yeah you are a "0.5% user". No one cares about you any more. Literally. Have to keep the plates spinning. 3 years old or newer oldest these days. I cycle mine out every 2 years.

It gets worse... as far as I can see the Barclays banking app only works on iPones, not on Androit.

And my phone is a phone, not a minaturised Merlin Tonto / ComputerPhone / One-per-desk nor an HP OmniGo 700LX
And worse...

Barclays sent me the introductory pack, telling me to sign the paper and return it in the prepaid envelope. But didn't provide that envelope.

Can't get in touch, since their chat facility out of order (and indications are it will never be in order).

Tried unsocial media. Response indicated they hadn't comprehended that I can't use their app! And didn't state what I should do with the signature!

Told to write a complaint - but can only do that on their app!

I suspect I'll be opening an account at another bank soon.

Lloyds have been very good for me for the last twenty-odd years, with good customer service in UK call centres. Though personally I would try to pick a bank with a branch as local to you as possible (such things do still exist, though sometimes I think they are only accessible from platform 12 3/4).

EDIT: Also their data centre is just down the road from me, so if they screw up I can knock on the door with a frowny face on...

My 1975 account is with Lloyds, and at the branch near where I lived then. Never seen a benefit to moving it to a more local branch!

One local bank branch used to be 100yds away. Now the nearest is 4miles away (and some have disappeared from that town). There are one or two in towns outside the city centre, but >10miles away. Internet banking is supposed to obviate the need for visiting a branch, but people are finding it isn't as simple as that!

Too many of the local branches are in the city centre, and it will soon cost £9 to enter there (30% of people will be caught by a congestion charge) plus car park charges. I have an almost unreasonable hatred of paying to park a car, let alone a congestion charge.
That is so true, and those zones will be expanding as another means of levering your money out of your pocket and into the Govt coffers for their miscreants to use on their pet projects  :palm: Plus once again you also have people like my Mother-in-Law who does not have the internet, does not want it and has zero interest in learning anything to with technology full stop, as I mentioned earlier, has a iPad and a mobile phone that her children have brought for her and she has zero idea, even though many of us have sat down with her and shown her how to use them. She cannot even understand the user manuals at the most basic levels, and she is not alone, my late Mum was exactly the same and so is my Aunty.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125380 on: July 05, 2022, 06:11:09 pm »
HEME 2000L test.
12A DC supply, 3x 2R2 100W resistors in parallel and Fluke 8060A with 80J-10 10A/100mV shunt. Two turns of wre through the clamp meter.
Looks OK to me, well within specification. Pretty good for £17.49 including post. Came with the leather case too.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, Zoli

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125381 on: July 05, 2022, 06:17:18 pm »
That was a pretty good deal  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125382 on: July 05, 2022, 06:20:58 pm »
Got curious and found some info on iPhone 6s support. Might be ending when iOS 16 is out. Don't know any more than what I'm finding at the moment.

https://www.macworld.com/article/561009/ios-16-support-iphone-6s-iphone-se.html
Thanks, so I'm crossing an iPhone 6 off my list of 2nd hand phones then, I would like a high-end model which will have longer support but not the associated costs, so I'm thinking of a second hand model, unlocked of course.

Be careful where you buy them. Some of them are mutants stuffed with crap parts. Apple sell refurbs but you’re looking at £529+. Giffgaff sell refurb iPhone 11 for a reasonable price with warranty https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/apple/apple-iphone-11/refurbished
Yes, I'm aware of that angle, have heard of some horror stories along that path. I'm still undecided about 2nd hand or middle of the rod Android, sorry but Apple are just too bloody expensive for my liking. My 2 sons who are still living with us have both got the Apple SE phones, fairly recently purchased from Argos and one of those will sometimes lock itself out of our home network on both 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi's and has to rebooted to clear itself, whereas my Android just quietly goes about seamlessly switching between them for the best signal as I walk about the house.

I have even thought rooting my old phone and putting a custom system on it and giving that a try, I have nothing to lose.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125383 on: July 05, 2022, 06:24:53 pm »
..... but plenty of storage for TE and secure underground car park so the TE doesn't get wet unloading it from the car :-DD

Just sold one of those HP displays for £25. That covers the 3776A purchase already!

Clearly underpriced. I presume you will put the other one up for sale at twice the price, and encourage the same person to buy that.

Unlikely to sell for twice the price, given those listed at £35 aren't exactly selling well, only two sold at an offer price.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203831819137

P.S. I've bid on the crusty HP DMM.  :scared:

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125384 on: July 05, 2022, 06:27:52 pm »
Got curious and found some info on iPhone 6s support. Might be ending when iOS 16 is out. Don't know any more than what I'm finding at the moment.

https://www.macworld.com/article/561009/ios-16-support-iphone-6s-iphone-se.html
Thanks, so I'm crossing an iPhone 6 off my list of 2nd hand phones then, I would like a high-end model which will have longer support but not the associated costs, so I'm thinking of a second hand model, unlocked of course.

Be careful where you buy them. Some of them are mutants stuffed with crap parts. Apple sell refurbs but you’re looking at £529+. Giffgaff sell refurb iPhone 11 for a reasonable price with warranty https://www.giffgaff.com/mobile-phones/apple/apple-iphone-11/refurbished

£379 upwards?! I'm not going to spend that much on cellphones/calls in the rest of my life! I'd be surprised if I spend £20/year.

I go with a Smarty Sim, their £8 a month deal gives me unlimited calls and texts and 12GB of data, brilliant service and you change your plan each month if you like so if you know that you're going to have a light data or a heavy data usage, you just change it over online, easy-peasy, and they have 5G as well.

https://smarty.co.uk/#plans
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #125385 on: July 05, 2022, 06:31:50 pm »

Clearly underpriced.

I've started smiling/smirking, for reasons we can't discuss here :) And scowling/tut-tuting for related reasons we can't discuss here :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125386 on: July 05, 2022, 06:33:30 pm »

Clearly underpriced. I presume you will put the other one up for sale at twice the price, and encourage the same person to buy that.

Unlikely to sell for twice the price, given those listed at £35 aren't exactly selling well, only two sold at an offer price.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203831819137

P.S. I've bid on the crusty HP DMM.  :scared:

David

Yeah I saw those. I considered £25 to be far more than a reasonable price.

Good luck with the crusty DMM. Interested to see if it crept onto the board. It might be ok but the offset voltage shown on the display scared me.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125387 on: July 05, 2022, 06:36:24 pm »
Too many of the local branches are in the city centre, and it will soon cost £9 to enter there (30% of people will be caught by a congestion charge) plus car park charges. I have an almost unreasonable hatred of paying to park a car, let alone a congestion charge.

A few years back, say 15-20, I used to be able to claim, with some justification, that you could name anywhere in Central London and I could tell you where to park legally for free for at least an hour within a 5-10 minute walk, often closer. Those days are a gone with (1) increasing parking restrictions everywhere and (2) I haven't kept my knowledge up to date.

I know what you mean, but I only used that very rarely, e.g. (checks streetview) 15 yards from a loudspeaker shop in Tottenham Court Rd. Since then I've always preferred to take my bike.

It is definitely harder in Brizzle too.
Good luck parking anywhere near Tottenham Court Road for free these days, its all NCP undergrounds or pay by phone street parking now.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125388 on: July 05, 2022, 06:37:44 pm »
<Snip>

Equally I can say the same about the Cooperative bank, local branches and an excellent banking app and 24hr telephone service.

Having contracted for Cooperative bank I would rather keep my money in BTC. The whole company is held together with sticky tape and string. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Oh and don't get me started on their funeral care who took £150 of donated flowers to the wrong bloody funeral, were late and an absolute shit show to deal with offering no compensation or even an apology from their branch or the call centre.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125389 on: July 05, 2022, 06:38:43 pm »

On a quick skim, Santander's login security is solely pin/password, without the possibility of a "what you have" number generator.

While I regard that as sufficient in the past (e.g. my account that I've had since 1975), and it might be OK for the intended use, for the future I'd like something better.
Nope, if you have a more modern smartphone, you have the option of fingerprint scanning as well, which works really well.

... until you need to revoke all 10 certificates. Or can toes be used too?
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125390 on: July 05, 2022, 06:41:16 pm »

A few years back, say 15-20, I used to be able to claim, with some justification, that you could name anywhere in Central London and I could tell you where to park legally for free for at least an hour within a 5-10 minute walk, often closer. Those days are a gone with (1) increasing parking restrictions everywhere and (2) I haven't kept my knowledge up to date.

I know what you mean, but I only used that very rarely, e.g. (checks streetview) 15 yards from a loudspeaker shop in Tottenham Court Rd. Since then I've always preferred to take my bike.

It is definitely harder in Brizzle too.
Good luck parking anywhere near Tottenham Court Road for free these days, its all NCP undergrounds or pay by phone street parking now.

Depending where you are and what you know there are plenty of places to lurk for a couple of hours at a time for free. I usually don't pay for parking for hospital appointments at Guys for example. NCP do Early Bird via ParkPass for £14.95 the whole day usually as well. If you chuck the congestion charge on it adds up to less than the train fare.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125391 on: July 05, 2022, 06:42:09 pm »

Clearly underpriced.

Teflon man must surely be dead in the water this time  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125392 on: July 05, 2022, 06:43:21 pm »

It says nothing about using your fingers. There's a good supply of them out there if you have to get another one.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Zoli, m k

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125393 on: July 05, 2022, 06:45:21 pm »

I won't be properly entertained until I see Jacob Rees-Mogg scurrying along the embankment, pursued by a mod with flaming torches and pitchforks. It's the way he'd want to go, anything else would be too modern for him.

Must resist temptation to comment, but search my previous posts for "anthill". Montresor+Amontillado also springs to minds.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125394 on: July 05, 2022, 06:54:34 pm »
<Snip>

Having contracted for Cooperative bank I would rather keep my money in BTC. The whole company is held together with sticky tape and string. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

I've just closed my mother's Coop account, phew.

The Coop bank spectacularly failed a few years ago.

You should have a look at the architecture and deployment diagrams for cellphone telcos. Let's just say that I know of a company started solely to create "glue logic" for the major components.

And NewsThump has some classic articles tonight. Yes, popcorn in mentioned in the first sentence of one of them, Netflix and the movie "Speed" in others. Hopefully NewsThump will become less entertaining soon.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125395 on: July 05, 2022, 07:13:20 pm »

Roger Needham used to recommend that your passwords should be "shocking nonsense", the shocking bit intended to make you think twice before telling someone your password. On that basis perhaps one should use one's 11th digit, the middle wicket so to speak, so that you aren't tempted to reveal your *ahem* original biometric in public. Of course revocation would be particularly undesirable.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125396 on: July 05, 2022, 07:20:43 pm »

Roger Needham used to recommend that your passwords should be "shocking nonsense", the shocking bit intended to make you think twice before telling someone your password. On that basis perhaps one should use one's 11th digit, the middle wicket so to speak, so that you aren't tempted to reveal your *ahem* original biometric in public. Of course revocation would be particularly undesirable.
Can always rely on you to lower the tone somewhat, LMAO  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125397 on: July 05, 2022, 07:24:30 pm »

It says nothing about using your fingers. There's a good supply of them out there if you have to get another one.

Haha, that reminded me of this

Who let Murphy in?

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125398 on: July 05, 2022, 07:49:36 pm »
Back to the PAL.
I measured 54622D visible screen area from online picture and got exactly 5:4.
Is that correct?
Pictured knobs were round.
Vertical resolution was also sort of HD compared to 54600B but picture was JPG and not huge.

@mnem, did you measure your machine's H-sync, what was it's frequency?
From online pictures I'd guess that resolution is double and double compared to old model.
True double from that old schematics would be 24720Hz * 2, pretty much.

Back to the monitor.
Single color CRT doesn't need any rasters, if not for picture enhancement purposes.
Some older 546xx model online pictures have clearly straight edged pixels but some other ones are far from it.
So no raster.

Many kinds of CRT glow properties were also available.
So even if video monitor can be tuned to accept 546xx signal maybe its CRT internals are not suitable.
Resolution per se is not a problem.

Computer world had MDA and HGC but both are still under 20kHz horizontally.
MCGA was also available once, it is vertically like CGA/VGA.

The main issue with video monitor is interlace and its process.
There deflection goes from top to bottom twice and second round must be informed somehow.
If that then is controlled by a chip it may not like that half picture just continue continuing.
Vertical size is not usually a problem, usually it can be trimmed out of proportion.

With high resolution monitor its resolution can be an issue though.
There vertical pixel count is meant to be high and less of it can make a sparse picture.
There it can also go so that one line is missing but third is not, that is also what can be expected when resolution of signal and resolution of LCD are not buddies.

E,
H -> V
Yeah, 625 line PAL is interlaced; I was thinking that when we were talking before.  :-+

That's another reason I decided to put a pin in this project; I'm waiting on the outcome of this eBay dispute. If I'm not keeping this turd, I think I'd much rather spend the time and brain power figuring out what went wrong with my fuckeroo UTG962E. And playing with my brand-new LeSiglent T3DSO2102:-DD

mnem
Never any shortage of things a tinkerdwagon needs to do...

I'm a bit interested how this scope thing finally is.
For now my guess is that this 313 vertical has nothing to do with PAL.

Is there possibly a military grade high resolution video system with small screens?
Just wondering from where HP got their idea.

Somebody should count those H-sync pulses.
625 is raw PAL and it includes blanking time.

Somebody should also adjust their scope monitor so that returning beam is visible and count how many H-lines it needs.
That much is needed over that 313.

Old Hitachi schematics has very clear horizontal timing as 41.2us.
Is it the right device for sure?

Only one google hit for CDU-10BA241, title of Hitachi schematics.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-871xb-vna-crt-module-capacitor-identification-help/

Much more for CDK-10BA242.
One of its CRT is 240ANB31N and earlier tube shuffle pays off.
As everybody remembers 31 is green, it continues so that 4 is white.
Tube in Hitachi schematics is 240ANB4(N).

Is this white CRT a rarity, is the whole input side of that schematics a rarity?
Maybe 546xx real H-sync is something else than 24270Hz.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #125399 on: July 05, 2022, 07:53:24 pm »
The rest, not so much: a major benefit of going out is to inhabit somewhere completely different, not to stay in cyberspace.

The trick is to do Augmented Reality -- experience the Real World enhanced with information from Other Places. It makes the Real World a more multifaceted place. And it takes less time to immerse yourself into something when you can apply the aggregate previous knowledge of the world on top of the actual experience.  The most obvious example to me is GPS and electronic maps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf