Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14945289 times)

ch_scr, TSCOLAN and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #129225 on: August 10, 2022, 07:09:59 am »
Wow, I didn't realize the world was so healthy now. But, ya never know when they'll be worth their weight again.

It isn't. Just got a confirmed case in the family. No danger, just inconvenience, as far as I can tell, though.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #129226 on: August 10, 2022, 07:20:27 am »

And here's the family portrait... 3 generations of 546xxx scope!  :clap:

Wow! Congrats on that CRT surviving. Those scopes look great!

I got an HP 54601A a few years back and a year or so afterward scored a 54657A Storage & GPIB module for it that adds FFT. Unfortunately, I need to upgrade the firmware in the scope to use it and haven't succeeded in finding one that's version 2.2 or higher.

Oscilloscope Compatibility

54657A and 54658A These modules are compatible with all Agilent
54600-series oscilloscopes except 54600A, 54601A, and 54602A
oscilloscopes with an operating system version lower than 2.2. If your
54600A, 54601A, or 54602A oscilloscope has an earlier operating system,
it can be updated using upgrade kit HP part number 54601-68702.

---------------

Update: Well, a new search found this post with info on the last version made, but the image file attached is version 2.0. Same as my scope has.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/agilent-54601a-oscilloscope-eprom-firmware-needed/msg4051633/#msg4051633
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 07:31:07 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129227 on: August 10, 2022, 07:31:12 am »
Another TEA incoming. Put a offer on a spectrum amalyser late last night  and it was accepted.
It's a true portable, battery operated 5 - 1100 MHz with a 6.4" colour touch screen. My offer was 3 digits  :scared: Just £100 including shipping  :D
Pictures when it arrives.
That puts the RF spectrum analyser count up to 7

Sounds neat. Well, you passed me up on the SA count. Depending on how you count an RF test set, I'm up to four or five SA. And to think...it started with wanting just one. Doesn't it always? ::)

Have to wait for pics. Message from seller yesterday, Royal Mail failed to pick it up  |O

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129228 on: August 10, 2022, 07:33:54 am »
Wow, I didn't realize the world was so healthy now. But, ya never know when they'll be worth their weight again.

It isn't. Just got a confirmed case in the family. No danger, just inconvenience, as far as I can tell, though.

That's good. Speedy recovery to him/her. :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129229 on: August 10, 2022, 07:40:04 am »

Well, my first day was exhausting ! 

Yes I know... it's not even noon, my day is not even finished yet... but yes it is ! :-DD

No, have not been fired just yet, didn't even get that opportunity.

Well, that story sounded like quite the misadventure. Hope the rest of your week is better.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129230 on: August 10, 2022, 07:40:18 am »
found my old log trig tables in the bottom of a box down the basement.

it smells like knowledge. (actual knowledge is musty)

(the calculator is just to prove it's authenticity as belonging to a TI smitten fool)

Well once again your kindness in giving me a pass has paid dividends for you because I can stand alongside you head held high, clutching my TI calcs, 1 x 58, 1 x BA-Solar, 1 x 56, 1 x 92, 1 x 2200, 2 x 86, 1 x 5038 and 2 x Inspires. What with your 30X we can take the world on, and just in case we need reinforcements, I can also throw in 4 x Commodores,  8 x Casios 1 x Sharp, 3 x HPs and 1 Sinclair and all bar 2 have an = key  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129231 on: August 10, 2022, 07:42:04 am »
At least you’re heading in the right direction now  >:D. Repent!

Got rudely awoken by pigeons on top of my chimney this morning. Another thing I won’t have to bloody put up with in a couple of weeks.

Have got inventory appointment next week so I am going to LiDAR the room and plan bench engineering  >:D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 07:44:07 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129232 on: August 10, 2022, 07:47:44 am »
This gets more interesting by the minutes. As my intoxicated brain is only capable of processing keywords it only saw mice and explosions.  :popcorn:

Incidentally I didn’t drink enough to buy an SA  :popcorn:

What?! Did you not get the memo that collecting SA's is the latest thing in the thread now? >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129233 on: August 10, 2022, 07:48:39 am »
This gets more interesting by the minutes. As my intoxicated brain is only capable of processing keywords it only saw mice and explosions.  :popcorn:

What?! Did you not get the memo that collecting SA's is the latest thing in the thread now? >:D

Working on that still. Have a spreadsheet going. Apparently when I’m drunk I make spreadsheets first.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, grizewald, cyclin_al, Atomillo

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129234 on: August 10, 2022, 07:49:49 am »

Got rudely awoken by pigeons on top of my chimney this morning. Another thing I won’t have to bloody put up with in a couple of weeks.

Have got inventory appointment next week so I am going to LiDAR the room and plan bench engineering  >:D
Just because you will no longer have a chimney won't deter pigeons, you have a window ledge and maybe even a balcony at the new place, oh and forget that squirrels can climb, so even they will still have the power to haunt you.  :-DD

Good luck on the move, you must be looking forward to it now?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129235 on: August 10, 2022, 07:50:34 am »
Just got the  HP 3551A Transmission Test Set delivered ...

It's in bad shape  :-DD

It's in the garage now because it's got that ancient military surplus / old ham radio shack smell emanating. But here's a teaser pic. Severe corrosion from what I think is bad batteries. Oh dear ...  :palm:

More pics tomorrow I expect.

Condolences...well, hopefully the rest is OK.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129236 on: August 10, 2022, 07:52:50 am »

Working on that still. Have a spreadsheet going. Apparently when I’m drunk I make spreadsheets first.

Ah, very good. Carry on. 8)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129237 on: August 10, 2022, 07:58:04 am »

Just because you will no longer have a chimney won't deter pigeons, you have a window ledge and maybe even a balcony at the new place, oh and forget that squirrels can climb, so even they will still have the power to haunt you.  :-DD

Fair point. We’re on the 4th (top) floor so this may be a problem. If it is they will have to fall off  :-DD.

The top floor was important for clear sky view (GPS antenna  :-DD)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129238 on: August 10, 2022, 08:22:44 am »

Fair point. We’re on the 4th (top) floor so this may be a problem. If it is they will have to fall off  :-DD.

Hmm, also should the unthinkable happen, the worst place to be in the event of fire or other emergency event in the building  :P

EDIT:
Just sold a duff calculator for spares, eBay seems to be picking up.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #129239 on: August 10, 2022, 08:29:21 am »

You must be a light sleeper. Awakened by the cooing of pigeons? Now if it were a mob of crows I could understand it.  ;D

Box fan my boy. Adopted it many years ago when working night shift and had to sleep during the day. Drowns out all that noise. Still use it to this day.  :-+

And what is this inventory that you speak of? TE stuff?  :-//

Edit....and for your own safety you better X-ray that Spanish women's purse for knives.  :-DD

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:31:29 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129240 on: August 10, 2022, 08:49:07 am »

You must be a light sleeper. Awakened by the cooing of pigeons? Now if it were a mob of crows I could understand it.  ;D

Box fan my boy. Adopted it many years ago when working night shift and had to sleep during the day. Drowns out all that noise. Still use it to this day.  :-+

Edit....and for your own safety you better X-ray that Spanish women's purse for knives.  :-DD

I concur with you, the noise of a box fan is similar to white noise, which many people use to aid sleeping. My sons plays white noise on his phone all night so he can sleep better. I have a box fan on in my lab and nobody believes me when I say that cannot hear them when they call me from downstairs, when the fan is running.  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #129241 on: August 10, 2022, 08:53:23 am »

I concur with you, the noise of a box fan is similar to white noise, which many people use to aid sleeping. My sons plays white noise on his phone all night so he can sleep better. I have a box fan on in my lab and nobody believes me when I say that cannot hear them when they call me from downstairs, when the fan is running.  :palm:
:-//
And you make out like this is a disability when it's actually a highly developed skill of the married man.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129242 on: August 10, 2022, 09:19:37 am »
HP MegaZoom Mega-Post!!!

...I didn't have time or energy for that tonight, so I took one for the team and just swapped the CRT neck board over and tried it.

Franken-monitor is no joy; it is not possible to make a CDM-7SF191 serve as a CDM-7SX191 just by swapping the CRT neck PCB.  :P

Re: the rolling picture with the CRT neck board swap, did you try adjusting the horizontal/vertical hold controls (CRT main board)  & the contrast control (CRT neck board), when you swapped the board to the older CRT?

David
Yeah; it's not a rolling picture, it's only raster and retrace, no video information. The black bar you see there is just a digital camera artifact. I'd have pursued it further, but I was hoping I hadn't fried something with my little experiment, so only powered it up like that a couple times before deciding to pull the plug.

Cheers!

mnem
 :-/O

Did you measure any voltages before or after?
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #129243 on: August 10, 2022, 09:21:37 am »

And you make out like this is a disability when it's actually a highly developed skill of the married man.  ;)

And once you've been married and developed that skill it remains with you forever even in an unmarried state.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, grizewald, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129244 on: August 10, 2022, 09:56:27 am »
<snip>

what?  a kit built sinclair scientific?

if it were anyone else you would be dead to me.

but since you are usually a voice of reason around here........ you get a pass.
Well thanks for sparing me  :phew: What can I say, I was young and full of cum back then and the Sinclair was the only scientific calculator within my price bracket. When that calculator was launched in 1974 it sold as a kit for £49.95 and in today's money that equates to £579  :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Scientific#Assembly_kit

No, you've misread the pricing:

In January 1975, the kit was available for US$49.95, half the price at the time of introduction a year earlier,[13] and in December 1975 it was available for GB£9.95, less than a quarter of the introductory price.

So that's $49.95USD (£21.90GBP at Jan '74 exchange rates, about £165 in today's money) and then £9.95 by the end of the same year (about £75 in today's money).
Oh No I didn't.. the following is an exert from the other link I also posted. Wikipedia has a typo $ in place of a £.

"Conclusions
The Sinclair Scientific came out in 1974 and was the first single-chip scientific calculator (if you ignore the display driver chips). It was stylishly compact, just 3/4 inch thick. It originally sold for the price of $119.95 or £49.95 and by the end of the year was available as a kit for the amazingly low price of £9.95.

Unfortunately, as calculator prices collapsed, so did Sinclair Radionics' profits, and the company was broken up in 1979 after heavy losses. Clive Sinclair's new company Sinclair Research went on to sell the highly-popular ZX 80 and ZX Spectrum home computers. Clive Sinclair was knighted for his accomplishments in 1983, becoming Sir Clive Sinclair. "

http://files.righto.com/calculator/sinclair_scientific_simulator.html

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/sinclair_scientific.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:26:35 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129245 on: August 10, 2022, 10:34:26 am »
Hmm, also should the unthinkable happen, the worst place to be in the event of fire or other emergency event in the building  :P

Yeah aware of that. This is temporary accommodation while I consolidate finances. There are three disparate exit stairwells in different locations on the floor and it was built in the last 10 years so less of an issue with fire safety than some of the older buildings.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129246 on: August 10, 2022, 10:37:07 am »
While the Sinclair scientific calculator might not be everyone's idea of a calculator, it was no doubt the reason for similar calculators to become much more affordable. The much heralded HP35 cost in 1972 £165 which is why the Sinclair scientific is a real milestone in personal calculators, much the same thing happened when Sir Clive Sinclair moved onto personal computers, he broke the stranglehold of companies that were profiteering from their products because they could do so back in the day when they had no real competition.

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/hewlett_packard_hp-35.html
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129247 on: August 10, 2022, 10:49:05 am »
Some vintage IC fun...

Better than a Mouser ziplock  :-DD

Mmmmm gold legs...

P date code suggests 1970. These are fairly early ones which is always interesting. Considering the first commercial ICs went on the market in 1961 and NASA bought nearly all of them until 1965, these are primordial era tech  :-DD

Found via looking at old magazines/catalogues they were $2.50 a pop in 1970 approximately. That's $16.80 in today's money.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, Specmaster, factory, cyclin_al

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #129248 on: August 10, 2022, 11:05:48 am »
Just got the  HP 3551A Transmission Test Set delivered ...

It's in bad shape  :-DD

It's in the garage now because it's got that ancient military surplus / old ham radio shack smell emanating. But here's a teaser pic. Severe corrosion from what I think is bad batteries. Oh dear ...  :palm:

More pics tomorrow I expect.

Condolences...well, hopefully the rest is OK.

It was sold cheap as-is for parts not working. I only bought it for parts and not expecting to restore it. If it was something I wanted to use or had a chance of being a restoration candidate I might have changed my mind. But it isn't looking that way and that will be OK. I'll salvage the good parts as I had planned and they will go to a deserving TEA item or to someone else who needs a knob or other hp part.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129249 on: August 10, 2022, 11:49:23 am »
Previously, it was a different time.

It certainly was and I'm glad I got out of it all soon enough while radio still was Telefunken tape machines, EMT record players, and Neumann consoles.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf