Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14983844 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21450 on: December 19, 2018, 08:16:45 am »
Well considering that there are dumb asses who will piss on an electric fence the signs are necessary.  :-*

Is that so they know where to aim  :-DD

None of it will be near the public and will only be powered from dusk until dawn so unless we get a burglar trying to steal my test gear I won't worry then. Sorry Mum  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #21451 on: December 19, 2018, 08:59:35 am »
Heh!

BRING IT!!!

mnem
Who ELSE wants some...?!?
I really am a TEA  :palm:, some time ago I bought for my 50th an AC power supply  Agilent AC6802A - it is actually really useful eg smoke tests, some bizarre 8V AC supply need, along with current protection. Shows VA, pF, peak A, peak VA etc.  Not used my AC box since.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #21452 on: December 19, 2018, 09:07:52 am »
I really am a TEA  :palm:, some time ago I bought for my 50th an AC power supply  Agilent AC6802A - it is actually really useful eg smoke tests, some bizarre 8V AC supply need, along with current protection. Shows VA, pF, peak A, peak VA etc.  Not used my AC box since.

Woah, that's a nice one. Modern kind of that I've bought a few weeks ago: http://wunderkis.de/AC-Source-EAC/
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #21453 on: December 19, 2018, 12:56:18 pm »
   Mmm Unexpected 'bonus' included in my evilbay purchase. Can Possums Read or do those humans within reach of the wires need to be told?  >:D

bean... we've bean over this... it all depends on how much you really love your mum.  >:D  :-DD  ;)

mnem
I want my mum. *sigh*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21454 on: December 19, 2018, 01:25:02 pm »
Woah, that's a nice one. Modern kind of that I've bought a few weeks ago: http://wunderkis.de/AC-Source-EAC/

That site all your work, Cap'n?

I like your photography; found myself entranced by these shots of zorched IGBT power modules.  like a freeze-frame of chaos...  :-+

mnem

D'Oh!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 01:44:10 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #21456 on: December 19, 2018, 02:06:41 pm »
That site all your work, Cap'n?
Yes. (Edit: didn't do the x-ray photos)

I like your photography; found myself entranced by these shots of zorched IGBT power modules.  like a freeze-frame of chaos...  :-+
Thanks. I'm not very good at photographing stuff, my GF's daughter does it on a higher level: https://world.wideweg.de/ though it isn't technical stuff.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:13:51 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21457 on: December 19, 2018, 02:21:52 pm »
Yeah; I'm not very good either.  :-DD  But I keep clicking anyways; every once in a while I get something decent.   ;)

Most of my shutterbugging revolves around the kids now, though.

mnem
*klik*

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21458 on: December 19, 2018, 02:36:34 pm »
https://youtu.be/mN8o90UbpmE

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2018/12/18/saturn-losing-its-rings-worst-case-scenario-rate-nasa-says/2351327002/

Well, Hell...    :o

Original research here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0019103518302999

mnem
It really is an amazing time to be alive...
Created a 100 million years and gone in 300 million years really is nothing on astronomical scales. That makes it quite a rare phenomenon for us to see. By their nature most things we see have settled into a stable or semi-stable configuration. If things were unstable, chances are that they would have settled into something else long ago. What remains tend to be very extended processes, like Mars losing its atmosphere or the sun burning through its hydrogen.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:39:09 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21459 on: December 19, 2018, 02:53:00 pm »
Yeah, that was exactly where I was going with it when I posted. Something we all take for granted; the rings of Saturn... literally programmed into our DNA... really are just a momentary diversion in the normal life of our solar system. Utterly ephemora in the grand scheme of the universe.

mnem
Damn.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21460 on: December 19, 2018, 02:58:21 pm »
https://youtu.be/8vIT2da6N_o

A few months ago I posted this video I'd found of a number of advanced robotics projects, including the amazing development by Boston Dynamics, the people behind Atlas and Spot.

https://youtu.be/ZX17mcpGfp8

One of the lesser-known projects in that video was OpenCat; a literal "garage tech" robotics project that appears to actually be going somewhere. Seeing as it's been a while since we had a kitteh-storm in the channel, I thought it might be safe to bring you Nybble, as it appears to be a fully funded project now.

Clearly this isn't anywhere near the sophistication of the Boston Dynamics projects... but what it can do is it is pretty amazing considering it essentially is a 3DP (the OpenCat Project) or LC-wood armature driven by an ArduPilot and the cheapest sonar modules and servos you can get. The fact that it does what it does without visual recognition tech is pretty phenomenal.

mnem
*MRRROWWWW!!!*
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:25:55 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21461 on: December 19, 2018, 07:42:07 pm »
Found myself accidentally just hitting the unreadreplies URL in my browser here (muscle memory!!!) while sorting some shit out so figured I better post a reply... Household has had one lying cheating witch evicted. Kids remain. I shall leave my explanation of the problems at that as this is my escape hatch really at the moment.

To quote Cave Johnson: "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'm the man who's GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!"

On a positive note the 2235 multiplier and the stuff from RS arrived but I fear if I wield a soldering iron for a couple of weeks I might insert it in someone.

Anyway back to getting nits out of the kids post-school  :--

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21462 on: December 19, 2018, 08:28:44 pm »
Been there, done that - always seems to happen around the holidays, doesn't it?

I booted someone out of the house about 34 years ago this December, and there was much drama.  About 5 years later, she was suddenly in the news for the contract murder of her second husband.  Suddenly all the people blaming me for the problems got very, very quiet.

Not to minimize what you're going through, but be glad you're still alive!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21463 on: December 19, 2018, 09:26:07 pm »
Bloody hell. You dodged a bullet or knife there!  :scared:.

There's a lot of fight in here yet. When I drop dead one day I will crawl out of my grave and they will have to kill me again. But not until I've filed a complaint about the shitty funeral service  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21464 on: December 19, 2018, 09:32:24 pm »
I'm just catching up, and I'd got to "be away for a while" earlier and then this. Don't know what to say man, don't know what to say.

We've got your back man, always remember that. But keep a wary eye on that dragon, like don't do any training course "trust exercises" with him, or accept any glasses of "this little nut brandy made by a friend of mine" - you'll wake up in a dive bar in Budapest with a lipstick printed card hung around your neck saying "It was fun, love Fifi".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21465 on: December 19, 2018, 09:50:14 pm »
Bloody hell. You dodged a bullet or knife there!  :scared:.

There's a lot of fight in here yet. When I drop dead one day I will crawl out of my grave and they will have to kill me again. But not until I've filed a complaint about the shitty funeral service  :-DD

Knife and baseball bat, if I remember correctly.   :phew:  He caught her cheating and threatened to dump her without any settlement.  She hired her boyfriend and his brother to get rid of him so she could keep the entire estate, and then later confessed; all three of them went to the slammer.  I guess I was too poor to be worth disposing of at the time.   It made quite a fuss locally, and we saved all the news clippings.  :popcorn:

So chin up - it'll work out, even if you have to wait for karma to spin its wheel.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #21466 on: December 19, 2018, 11:00:33 pm »
Found myself accidentally just hitting the unreadreplies URL in my browser here (muscle memory!!!) while sorting some shit out so figured I better post a reply... Household has had one lying cheating witch evicted. Kids remain. I shall leave my explanation of the problems at that as this is my escape hatch really at the moment.

To quote Cave Johnson: "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON LEMONS! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?! I'm the man who's GONNA BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!"

On a positive note the 2235 multiplier and the stuff from RS arrived but I fear if I wield a soldering iron for a couple of weeks I might insert it in someone.

That sounds like a very unpleasant situation. Be sure to cover your ass and don't get provoked into doing something stupid at the cost of your position down the line. Taking care of yourself and your kids is the best thing you can do. At worst you'll get much more closet space for TEA! Hang in there!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21467 on: December 19, 2018, 11:31:18 pm »
 :o Scary.

My ex's very tame removal some years ago for financially putting me in the shit over time then buying a house in 'her' name with 'her money' and telling me after the fact as she cooked dinner thinking I would be fine with it and just add it to my load saw locks changed and her stuff on the front lawn.

She got custody of the Dog  :'(
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #21468 on: December 19, 2018, 11:31:43 pm »

You did what you had to do. Hope it will all work out for the best.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21469 on: December 20, 2018, 01:19:12 am »

Keep your chin up brother! I hope you get things sorted and everything pans out good for you.  :box:
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21470 on: December 20, 2018, 01:30:16 am »
Holy crap bd...real sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation I've been in similar situations....more than once. (It took me a few times to learn my lesson). But you have kids involved which really complicates matters. I really hope you can get it worked out for your peace of mind and your children's well being. It really sucks when shit like this happens, especially around the holidays.

I told you red heads were bat shit crazy.....mine went an almost identical route where today she is unhappy and alone.     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21471 on: December 20, 2018, 01:39:37 am »
I told you red heads were bat shit crazy.....mine went an almost identical route where today she is unhappy and alone.   

Shame I didn't know that earlier too. My ex was a Redhead and a POM clearly doomed. Should perhaps note my Mother and Sister are Redheads to :-DD

Gratuitous TEA shot. DC testing day the other DC references are still in the chamber 8)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:44:56 am by beanflying »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21472 on: December 20, 2018, 01:41:06 am »

I've been away from the computer all day and just switched on to do a quick catch up on everything and I'm so sorry to hear of your woes as in deed we all are here. I can sympathise with you here, I had to do the same thing with my first Mrs 40 years ago, witch was having an affair with my bloody apprentice of all people!

Do what you have to do to get through this, watch your bank account, I closed mine down and re-opened another in my name only before anything could be withdrawn, change all locks etc to both house and car ASAP.

Take good care of yourself and the kids, they don't deserve to suffer. If there's anything I do to help, just PM me, even if it is just to have a chat and get things off your chest in private, don't hesitate, I know from my own personal experience it does help a lot.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21473 on: December 20, 2018, 01:46:44 am »

Shame I didn't know that earlier too. Redhead and a POM clearly doomed. Should perhaps note my Mother and Sister are Redheads to :-DD

Gratuitous TEA shot. DC testing day the other DC references are still in the chamber 8)
Those readings are really pretty good, if the first 3 dp's all agree thats really good enough and in your case they are.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21474 on: December 20, 2018, 02:35:21 am »
Not to shabby at all. Interesting how sensitive the 735A is to input loading. It drops 0.6mV (HUGE  ;) ) on the 34401a between 10M and 10G impedance's so its usefulness for non deferentially measured or GOhm type meters isn't optimal. Might finally have to put the plug swap on the Fluke 895a on todays list of jobs.

The Fluke 515a handles the loading much better.

The UNI-T btw is an awful 10mV high at 5V I will take it out the back and give it a good  :horse:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf