Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14957819 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28900 on: April 08, 2019, 09:59:51 pm »
External calibration done. Back in the case. All functions now work properly. Mandatory burn in for at least 6 hours.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, kj7e, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #28901 on: April 08, 2019, 10:04:01 pm »
Looking good! One thing I wonder is why the timebase control is the same knob as the vertical? Seems like having the larger knob like the analog scopes in that series is easier to use without looking.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #28902 on: April 08, 2019, 10:10:58 pm »
Probably because it's not marked in sec, ms, us, ns like an analog scope. It's all on the display menu. And if you look at all modern DSO's they are the same way.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28903 on: April 08, 2019, 10:29:40 pm »
Hmm. That's true, I think, for the 24xxA analog models, but the B models to my knowledge just say "fast" and "slow", with the actual readout on the CRT.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28904 on: April 08, 2019, 10:29:46 pm »
Holy crap there are some dumbasses out there. Check the end price of this load of shit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123662056108

Plessey are known to sell the WORST electrolytic capacitors in existence.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28905 on: April 08, 2019, 10:34:30 pm »
I got my handbook for the HP6824A 4Q-PS from Telford. With complete circuit diagrams in full size - folded according to DIN/ISO so that they neatly vanish into the spiral-bound A4 manual.
I will scan it and make it available - but don't expect me to do anything elaborate. I'll have to do consecutive a4-size scans and maybe add full-size ones later.
And hopefully it will result in a resurrected power supply.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28906 on: April 08, 2019, 10:41:13 pm »
Holy crap there are some dumbasses out there. Check the end price of this load of shit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123662056108

On the bright side (heh) maybe someone is planning to blow them up, ElectroBoom style.  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28907 on: April 08, 2019, 11:11:52 pm »

On the bright side (heh) maybe someone is planning to blow them up, ElectroBoom style.  :-DD
It is spring and the birds are becoming noisy.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #28908 on: April 08, 2019, 11:21:27 pm »
Quote from: ebay.co.uk Item # 123662056108
Selling as unused old stock (one of the Orange ones is used).

They have not been tested.

:o    *thinks back on the gallons and gallons of NOS electrolytics he chunked a few months ago because they were all 10-20 years old*    |O

If only I could make myself be that much of a douche... :palm:

External calibration done. Back in the case. All functions now work properly. Mandatory burn in for at least 6 hours.  :-+
Awesome. Now it needs a 2230 to keep it company.  :-DD

mnem
*Up to my elbows in Component Video cables*
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:26:25 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #28909 on: April 08, 2019, 11:26:55 pm »

mnem

I have so many projects both TEA and non-TEA related that I don't need another one.  :o ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28910 on: April 08, 2019, 11:30:34 pm »
Quote from: ebay.co.uk Item # 123662056108
Selling as unused old stock (one of the Orange ones is used).

They have not been tested.

:o    *thinks back on the gallons and gallons of NOS electrolytics he chunked a few months ago because they were all at least 10, probably closer to 20 years old*    |O

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28911 on: April 08, 2019, 11:32:00 pm »
:o    *thinks back on the gallons and gallons of NOS electrolytics he chunked a few months ago because they were all 10-20 years old*    |O

Yep I just threw out about 50 of the damn things after ESR testing them and they were duff even though NOS and the bin was collected today  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28912 on: April 09, 2019, 12:05:52 am »

Yep I just threw out about 50 of the damn things after ESR testing them and they were duff even though NOS and the bin was collected today  :palm:
There you go, the ESR meter is already earning its corn, could also use it for checking equipment pulls before reassigning them into some new scratch build project next time. [emoji106][emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #28913 on: April 09, 2019, 12:21:23 am »
Time-nuttery alert!
Re the 53310, modulation / phase analzer, have you guys seen the TAPR project the time interval counter TICC, does continuous time stamping measurement, in the few 10s of pS, for USD $205. About 1/30 of keysight 's 53230A!
https://www.tapr.org/kits_ticc.html
Rob

You tease! (out of stock ^-^)
Sorry about that - looks like they are going to do another run though.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #28914 on: April 09, 2019, 12:29:11 am »

:o
And you didn't reform them before testing them ?  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28915 on: April 09, 2019, 03:26:21 am »
My experiences with attempting to recover electrolytic caps using a battery desulfator or similar devices have been pretty much craptacular. Never had one keep it's "rejuvenated" condition for anything I'd consider an appreciable time, and never had them recover to the point of having the proper ESR; only marginally acceptable at best. I have little doubt the Q/tan Δ factors that I can now measure would be similarly unsatisfactory.

Maybe I expect too much.  :-//

mnem
"Capacitors are Murphy's footsoldiers; take no prisoners." ~me
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:33:58 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28916 on: April 09, 2019, 03:32:44 am »

mnem
I have so many projects both TEA and non-TEA related that I don't need another one.  :o ;D

Who are you, and when will the aliens return the med we all know and love to torment?!? :-DD

mnem
https://youtu.be/mm6oYqBwNAg

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #28917 on: April 09, 2019, 04:13:49 am »

I keep saying that to myself, but then you post that like-new result with the 2430, bd posts the reminder that the 453 is all discrete, and mnem re-tempts with his mostly working 454. :scared:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #28918 on: April 09, 2019, 04:17:32 am »
My experiences with attempting to recover electrolytic caps using a battery desulfator or similar devices have been pretty much craptacular. Never had one keep it's "rejuvenated" condition for anything I'd consider an appreciable time, and never had them recover to the point of having the proper ESR; only marginally acceptable at best. I have little doubt the Q/tan Δ factors that I can now measure would be similarly unsatisfactory.

I've never messed with reforming old caps. If they've lived their life, I'm OK with replacing them. The prices of axial caps is rather annoying, though, and I'm not a fan of the limbo-dancing radial substitutions. Oh, well.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28919 on: April 09, 2019, 06:23:41 am »
Yep. I think we've all got a ton of the things though (I've got a box full of tek shafts and knobs)

Don't the knobs fall apart when you look at them?

That's why I got rid of my TDS210 and replaced it with a Rigol DS1054Z. Suddenly, the knobs on the 210 began falling apart when I went to change a setting. After having the fourth one disintegrate on me, I knew it was time for an upgrade.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28920 on: April 09, 2019, 06:52:06 am »

I keep saying that to myself, but then you post that like-new result with the 2430, bd posts the reminder that the 453 is all discrete, and mnem re-tempts with his mostly working 454. :scared:
Even I'm looking at a 2465A that finishes in 2 days [emoji848]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28921 on: April 09, 2019, 06:54:22 am »
Yep. I think we've all got a ton of the things though (I've got a box full of tek shafts and knobs)

Don't the knobs fall apart when you look at them?

That's why I got rid of my TDS210 and replaced it with a Rigol DS1054Z. Suddenly, the knobs on the 210 began falling apart when I went to change a setting. After having the fourth one disintegrate on me, I knew it was time for an upgrade.
That's a bit extreme to fix broken knobs, I had some 3D printed[emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #28922 on: April 09, 2019, 07:32:10 am »

I did :(

A cap in the SMPS startup circuit of my 485 held its rejuvenated condition for several hours. Meant I could only do two or three tests per day. Bugger to find, that was.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #28923 on: April 09, 2019, 07:35:35 am »
Even I'm looking at a 2465A that finishes in 2 days [emoji848]

How much would you pay for a recapped 2465 (not A) that passes all self tests?

We could meet at Kempton on Sunday, even though I'm not selling :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28924 on: April 09, 2019, 08:18:36 am »
There you go, the ESR meter is already earning its corn, could also use it for checking equipment pulls before reassigning them into some new scratch build project next time. [emoji106][emoji106]

Yep exactly. That was one of the motivations of building it. That and repairing things mostly.

I tried to reform caps in the distant past. I'd use the contents of an old television (transformer, rectifier, dropper bar) and my old micronta POS. On at least two occasions I got what looked like a successful reformation but they got super hot in situ with some ripple current through them. I decided just to put the min my junk box and at an appropriate time, attach my suicide cord to them and let them off in the garden in the end. An ancient LCR one blew a 4 inch hole in my nan's fence and I got chased around the garden with a broom. She was 75 at the time and not particularly quick fortunately  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf