Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14952060 times)

6h8c and 181 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28925 on: April 09, 2019, 10:01:11 am »
Even I'm looking at a 2465A that finishes in 2 days [emoji848]

How much would you pay for a recapped 2465 (not A) that passes all self tests?

We could meet at Kempton on Sunday, even though I'm not selling :)

If you're not selling then why are you teasing him like that?  :-// Nothing like tossing out a carrot then pulling it back.  :palm: :-DD

How much would I pay for a 2465 (Not A or B) in original condition (not re-capped) and clean boot? No more than the going rate of approx $1 USD/Mhz, excluding shipping. Slightly more if re-capped. More again if proven traceable calibration.

How much have I ACTUALLY paid? The 2465 DMS: original condition and boot fails. Free. The 2465: original condition and clean boot. Seller thought it wouldn't power up (Missing fuse). $65 USD. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #28926 on: April 09, 2019, 10:02:53 am »

If you're not selling then why are you teasing him like that?  :-// Nothing like tossing out a carrot then pulling it back.  :palm: :-DD

How much would I pay for a 2465 (Not A or B) in original condition (not re-capped) and clean boot? No more than the going rate of approx $1 USD/Mhz, excluding shipping. Slightly more if re-capped. More again if proven traceable calibration.

How much have I ACTUALLY paid? The 2465 DMS: original condition and boot fails. Free. The 2465: original condition and clean boot. Seller thought it wouldn't power up (Missing fuse). $65 USD.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28927 on: April 09, 2019, 10:06:30 am »
I'd be tempted but my objective at Kempton is only to be in front of tggzzz in the queue this time (as he buggered off with all the good stuff at the last hamfest!)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #28928 on: April 09, 2019, 10:13:01 am »
First hamfest of the year here on April 28th. Another one on May 5th but I won't be able to get to that one. I'll be down in NYC doing some clean up work for you-know-who.  :P

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #28929 on: April 09, 2019, 10:18:40 am »
For the wannabe TEA Timenuts - well worth a watch. Out with your wood lathes and chisels.

https://youtu.be/T-g27KS0yiY
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28930 on: April 09, 2019, 10:35:38 am »

To answer your question about what would I pay for a 2465 fully recapped and passes all the self tests, well TBH, not a lot at all really. I only said that I was looking at a 2465A  in an auction that I'm eyeing up, not because I need one, but because if it goes at the right price then why the hell not?  :-//

For my day to day stuff my TDS210 is enough scope for my purposes and on days when I fancy going old school or need a digital with more oomph or something faster I have my Fluke PM3390B combiscope in reserve, my best auction result to date.  :-+

I also see that you're just teasing me because you say that your not going to sell anyway  :-DD Seriously though if I got a 2465 I currently have nowhere to put it until I clear out my big old A1 plotter, which is itself sitting in my repair queue, so thanks for the tease but I suspect that you'd be wanting far more than I'd be prepared to pay for such a beast. Now if I needed it, that would be another matter altogether but just how often would I be needing a scope capable of 350Mhz when 99% of its time would be in the audio and FM broadcast bandwidth?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #28931 on: April 09, 2019, 10:38:58 am »

I have two recapped functional 2465s. I'm more than happy to reclaim some space by selling one for a reasonable price.

Oh! I see what you mean. I don't have a stall at Kempton! I'll be there as a potential buyer.

That means I won't be able to get to the good stuff before other punters like, for example, bd139.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28932 on: April 09, 2019, 10:41:10 am »
I also see that you're just teasing me because you say that your not going to sell anyway  :-DD

My poor choice of words, I'm afraid. I'm not selling on a stall at Kempton, but I'm more than happy to do a deal in the car park :)

BTW, if you're looking at the PPAuction, you might like to consider that the Aunby storage can be an unheated farm barn, and that sometimes hessian sacking is used to protect the stock from damp. See, for example, the pictures for lot 131 and 646
https://www.ppauctions.com/lot.php?l_id=126018&id=250
https://www.ppauctions.com/lot.php?l_id=126533&id=250

Note also that they have cancelled their last two collective sales at short notice; draw your own conclusions.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:01:39 am by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28933 on: April 09, 2019, 10:43:07 am »
I'd be tempted but my objective at Kempton is only to be in front of tggzzz in the queue this time (as he buggered off with all the good stuff at the last hamfest!)

I flogged more good stuff than I bought, by a very gratifying margin :) Even you liked the look of some of it!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28934 on: April 09, 2019, 11:09:21 am »
Ah so you got in early via official means. I probably did indeed like some of it :)

On the smaller events I tend to do a little bit of social engineering and slide in early if I can. That's how I hobbed off with the pile of heathkit stuff and the 7603 last time.

I've actually got a shopping list for Kempton. Need some parts. Although sometimes I actually make loud pffft sounds and buy 'em on t'Internet most of the time. No I'm not going to buy a 20m roll of ladder line Moonraker because I only need 2m  :palm: ... and no I'm not paying £5 for an AM broadcast cap that is rusted solid and no it doesn't just need a bit of oil :)

Dunstable date announced (can't remember if someone has posted this or not): http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/

Edit: I'm also doing Andover on 28th: http://www.arac.org.uk/docs/ARAC_Boot_Sale_2019.pdf
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:11:32 am by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28935 on: April 09, 2019, 11:26:57 am »
On the smaller events I tend to do a little bit of social engineering and slide in early if I can.

They have bouncers at Kempton, unlike the amateur events :(

Edit: I'm also doing Andover on 28th: http://www.arac.org.uk/docs/ARAC_Boot_Sale_2019.pdf

Have you been before?

I went to Yeovil at the weekend. Last time I got some good stuff; this time it was a desert.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28936 on: April 09, 2019, 11:40:51 am »
On the smaller events I tend to do a little bit of social engineering and slide in early if I can.

They have bouncers at Kempton, unlike the amateur events :(

Yeah I noticed that last year.

Have you been before?

I went to Yeovil at the weekend. Last time I got some good stuff; this time it was a desert.

Not been to the Andover one yet. I'm assuming it'll be a desert as well. Some of the outback ones aren't very good. Sometimes it's worth it for a single good table though so YMMV. Andover has double purpose as my cousin lives there so I'm going to pop in and annoy him for an hour or two if I can be arsed.

Edit: I think the whole radio rally thing is slowly circling the drain. There are very few people doing this already and the age is increasing. I can't help noticing I'm actually one of the younger ones and I'm not that young...

Edit 2: I just noticed the Yeovil one was the QRP convention. George Dobbs, G3RJV popped it a few weeks back so there's a bit of a vacuum in that space suddenly.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:44:26 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28937 on: April 09, 2019, 11:50:29 am »
I also see that you're just teasing me because you say that your not going to sell anyway  :-DD

My poor choice of words, I'm afraid. I'm not selling on a stall at Kempton, but I'm more than happy to do a deal in the car park :)

BTW, if you're looking at the PPAuction, you might like to consider that the Aunby storage can be an unheated farm barn, and that sometimes hessian sacking is used to protect the stock from damp. See, for example, the pictures for lot 131 and 646

Note also that they have cancelled their last two collective sales at short notice; draw your own conclusions.
Yep, thats the auction but I think it could well in the newly built building on the right now and yeh, if it was wintertime I might be a bit more concerned but this time of the year its not so much of an issue. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28938 on: April 09, 2019, 11:56:49 am »

Edit: I think the whole radio rally thing is slowly circling the drain. There are very few people doing this already and the age is increasing. I can't help noticing I'm actually one of the younger ones and I'm not that young...

Yeah, the youngsters these days are sitting in front of the PC's chatting to people all over the globe via the modern wonderful internet so I guess that the Hamfest is being taken over by the Computerfest or computer fair.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28939 on: April 09, 2019, 11:59:45 am »
I don't think it's disinterest in the technology, but the fact none of them seem to have transport or storage space so everything is done on ebay.

Also when I did my intermediate license we had a dude in his early 20s doing it. He had no idea that radio rallies even existed despite doing the intermediate and an EE degree.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28940 on: April 09, 2019, 12:02:45 pm »

Yep, thats the auction but I think it could well in the newly built building on the right now and yeh, if it was wintertime I might be a bit more concerned but this time of the year its not so much of an issue. :popcorn:

It can be easy or difficult to guess where X is stored. As far as I can see, some is in the barn, some isn't.

I would expect a good proportion of their stuff to have been there for 6 months or more, i.e. overwinter. I have seen very damp hessian sacking before; low cloud in the building ain't good. Shame.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #28941 on: April 09, 2019, 12:22:24 pm »
Wch....this is the smallest box I have so your knob and shaft are well packed.  :-DD The USPS would have to run over it with a truck to destroy it.  :scared:

It's going to the PO this afternoon.  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28942 on: April 09, 2019, 12:25:20 pm »

It can be easy or difficult to guess where X is stored. As far as I can see, some is in the barn, some isn't.

I would expect a good proportion of their stuff to have been there for 6 months or more, i.e. overwinter. I have seen very damp hessian sacking before; low cloud in the building ain't good. Shame.
That might be, however the things I'm most interested in are more likely to be mainly of plastic fabrication and maybe either plastic skeleton or alloy. Once in warm and dry atmosphere any dampness is soon going to dissipate so no long lasting harm should be done  :phew: (need a fingers crossed emoji)
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28943 on: April 09, 2019, 12:35:01 pm »
Postie has been and delivered my parts for the Pioneer Amp on my bench, time to get busy and see if this is the only thing wrong with it  :clap:

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #28944 on: April 09, 2019, 12:46:12 pm »
Newest acquisition.  Another piece of HP goodness.

Fresh from the EEVblog lab.

(Sorry for the so-so photo.)

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #28945 on: April 09, 2019, 12:50:55 pm »

External calibration done. Back in the case. All functions now work properly. Mandatory burn in for at least 6 hours.  :-+

Awesome. Now it needs a 2230 to keep it company.  :-DD
I have so many projects both TEA and non-TEA related that I don't need another one.  :o ;D
I keep saying that to myself, but then you post that like-new result with the 2430, bd posts the reminder that the 453 is all discrete, and mnem re-tempts with his mostly working 454. :scared:

Please, PLEASE be tempted... while I still have money for shipping!!! I'm running out of time to faff about with boat anchors until after the move; the kids are out of school in a month, and then my productivity will be decimated.  :scared:

indeed!  :-DD

I "paid" approx 1/2 of list for my first 2465; took it in lieu of a performance bonus. It was a little less than 3 years old at the time. My next three were :

1) $75 at flea market - utterly eukered; smoked hybrid on CH1, capacitor rot all over the control panel board and unresolvable fuzzy trace that was eventually determined by substitution as inherent in the CRT; I assume a damaged plate. I sat on that one as a "spares" unit for over a decade. While I was bidding on the 2230 (so... 15-ish years ago?) I tripped over two other 2465s going way too cheap; working units with ANY pedigree were still bringing around a grand or so.

2) $125 for an ex-Verizon parts unit for the flea beast and

3) $140 for the ex-NASA 2465 I bought by accident; I had bids on both and forgot to cancel the second. Actually glad I did, in retrospect; the flea market 2465 yielded EXACTLY what I needed to fix the other two; including the experience recapping that bastard PSU to get it right on the second try.  :palm:

I'd still take a $30-40 gamble on that PSU, and I'm a cheap bastahd.  :-DD

wch... this is the smallest box I have so your knob and shaft are well packed.  :-DD

The USPS would have to run over it with a truck to destroy it.  :scared:   It's going to the PO this afternoon.  :-+

There... now it looks much smaller.  :-DD

Seriously though... don't throw down the gauntlet like that; you know Murphy loves a challenge.  ;)

mnem
"Murphy's a bitch, and her puppies all go to work for the Postal Service." ~me, just now.  >:D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:57:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28946 on: April 09, 2019, 12:55:32 pm »

nice scopes! I had one in the distant past:

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28947 on: April 09, 2019, 01:58:15 pm »

I'd still take a $30-40 gamble on that PSU, and I'm a cheap bastahd.  :-DD

I already have one; they are nice (inc 10 turn wirewound pots) but heavy.

But I'm more interested in other stuff there, provided the prices aren't silly (e.g. a 2445 that's already at £172+15% with two days to go!). But the open storage is a concern.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28948 on: April 09, 2019, 02:00:29 pm »
@bd139, indeed they are, loved mine but sadly it had to go, having 5 scopes in my small lab was a joke, still have most of the parts of the parts mule (no case but boards, knobs etc)

@Brumby) If that did genuinely come Daves lab, then that the one he did a video on with the suspect dodgy joints around the rectifiers on the power supply board, nice one.
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28949 on: April 09, 2019, 02:02:59 pm »

nice scopes! I had one in the distant past:

I still do.

I find it pleasant to use and can't bring myself to part with it (mainly because it was my first scope and the first scope I repaired). It is at least as usable as the 465s, but much cheaper.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf