Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14952063 times)

6h8c and 186 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #28975 on: April 09, 2019, 08:15:18 pm »
I think the best one of those I had was a television I bought from a jumble sale when I was about 10 and stupid. Think it was a Bush TV22. Had a sign "works ok" on it.

"Yeah of course it works! - 20p mate".

Took it home and realised the sign should have been "contains copious amounts of fire"
And thereafter went around sniffing everything before buying.  :clap:  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28976 on: April 09, 2019, 08:45:01 pm »
15MHz AWG/Counter @ $99 up to 60MHz @ $139: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JW8JHZ/ref=biss_dp_sa1

Holy Bleeping BleepCrackers! If you need just the basics... Counter AND dual output DDS/AWG!!!   :clap:

Plus a 6% off coupon!!!

Is a JDS6600 and can be had for a lot less. The box is full of air  ::) eBay auction: #183044531625

Yes, it can be had very cheaply if you look around.  I got a basically unused 30 MHz FY6800 (upgraded PSU and specs) from a fellow EEVBlogger for $90.  Really a nice little unit and it does a few things my Wavetek doesn't.  Not a Cadillac among sig gens but it is fine.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #28977 on: April 09, 2019, 09:06:47 pm »
Is a JDS6600 and can be had for a lot less. The box is full of air  ::) eBay auction: #183044531625
Some of my most expensive tools feel like chancy plastic cases with mostly air.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28978 on: April 09, 2019, 09:49:15 pm »
That’s one reason I like the Rigol stuff. Someone actually put some chinesium into the box. Feels like you got what you paid for.

Edit: Moment of insanity here. I really prefer the old 87 to the 87V. Better interface, DC amps over AC amps default and just feels better made. Considering losing the 87V
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:52:02 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28979 on: April 09, 2019, 09:58:40 pm »
Theres loads of kit that is both expensive and good quality but yet is full of air, look at the TTi range of kit for example of which I have 3 prime examples

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #28980 on: April 09, 2019, 10:18:40 pm »
Your spouse, significant other, family or friends think TEAS is a dreadful disorder? Let them know,  It could be worse...

You could have CEAS: CB equipment acquisition syndrome.

More info found here...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/d/marysville-cb-radio-leftovers/6860642391.html

Another PSA from your cheap and cheerful friends at eevblog.

specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #28981 on: April 09, 2019, 10:57:48 pm »

15MHz AWG/Counter @ $99 up to 60MHz @ $139: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JW8JHZ/ref=biss_dp_sa1

Holy Bleeping BleepCrackers! If you need just the basics... Counter AND dual output DDS/AWG!!!   :clap:

Plus a 6% off coupon!!!

mnem
 :o
Just don't let it be seen in any of your TEA bench photos lest your cred be seriously diminished with the 25GHz crowd.  :-DD

Fukkem.  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #28982 on: April 09, 2019, 11:05:25 pm »
Whatever its faults, the advantage of this:

over the 8640B is portability, which I have been thinking about a lot since I started haunting equipment-filled garages, looking for interesting bits of kit to acquire.  I've assembled a small bag of gear for basic taking-apart and testing but I was stuck for a decent signal generator. Then I remembered this:

My trusty, battery-powered, good to 500MHz (more or less) CAA antenna analyzer. It puts out a 400mV sine (more or less) wave over its frequency range and fits in my bag. Not a function generator but for simple testing, good enough.

...and somewhere around here I have both (HF and VHF) of the pocket-sized Autek RF Analyzers, too. If I can find them, and they still work, I can use them instead and get the bag smaller, still.

specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #28983 on: April 09, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »
Your spouse, significant other, family or friends think TEAS is a dreadful disorder? Let them know,  It could be worse...

You could have CEAS: CB equipment acquisition syndrome.

More info found here...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/d/marysville-cb-radio-leftovers/6860642391.html

Another PSA from your cheap and cheerful friends at eevblog.

10-4 good buddy!  :-+ $500 USD for the whole lot. That's about $8 per unit. Gives you an idea how much crap band radios are in demand.  :palm: And not sure if you can analogy that to TEA. Looks like plain old hoarding to me.....although a hoarder wouldn't sell unless they were under the threat of death.  ::)

In other news. The 4x attenuator is FINALLY on this side of the pond and in the care of USPS. It took 6 days to get from Athens airmail to JFK. They must have rented a Piper Cub to fly across the Atlantic.  :-// The last time I ordered from them it was about 3 days Athens to JFK. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #28984 on: April 09, 2019, 11:15:14 pm »
I have so many projects both TEA and non-TEA related that I don't need another one.  :o ;D
I keep saying that to myself, but then you post that like-new result with the 2430, bd posts the reminder that the 453 is all discrete, and mnem re-tempts with his mostly working 454. :scared:

Please, PLEASE be tempted... while I still have money for shipping!!! I'm running out of time to faff about with boat anchors until after the move; the kids are out of school in a month, and then my productivity will be decimated.  :scared:

OK, OK, Uncle! I will make it feel welcome and at home. In fact, there are no other Tek scopes for it to compete with for attention. It will be spoiled, for sure.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #28985 on: April 09, 2019, 11:18:11 pm »
I have so many projects both TEA and non-TEA related that I don't need another one.  :o ;D
I keep saying that to myself, but then you post that like-new result with the 2430, bd posts the reminder that the 453 is all discrete, and mnem re-tempts with his mostly working 454. :scared:

Please, PLEASE be tempted... while I still have money for shipping!!! I'm running out of time to faff about with boat anchors until after the move; the kids are out of school in a month, and then my productivity will be decimated.  :scared:

OK, OK, Uncle! I will make it feel welcome and at home. In fact, there are no other Tek scopes for it to compete with for attention. It will be spoiled, for sure.

Looks like we have a proposal and an acceptance. A marriage is about to consummate. Cue the rice.  :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #28986 on: April 09, 2019, 11:28:01 pm »

Plus a 6% off coupon!!!

mnem
 :o

I have one of the older similar units. This one only goes out to 2Mhz. And yes, a whole lot of air on the inside. They also have another issue. They are floating and not grounded. It wouldn't surprise me if these newer ones are the same. There's plenty of info out there on how to safely ground them. Mine has that modification.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28987 on: April 09, 2019, 11:39:16 pm »
Whatever its faults, the advantage of this:

over the 8640B is portability, which I have been thinking about a lot since I started haunting equipment-filled garages, looking for interesting bits of kit to acquire.

With these, the pendulum swings quite far the other way, though. I have the earlier FY3224S, which was made in a similar enclosure.

Edit: It's the same as the one in med's prior post, just with a different max frequency.

It's so light that you'd be temped to add some lead plates to the inside. Otherwise, there isn't enough normal force for the rubber feet to do anything useful. ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:44:55 pm by bitseeker »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #28988 on: April 09, 2019, 11:53:09 pm »
FeelTech: Not naturally created as Technical test equipment, but now identifies itself as such.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:55:24 pm by kj7e »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28989 on: April 10, 2019, 12:02:23 am »
Feels like Tech. :-DD But, yeah, it is what it is: an inexpensive DDS/AWG. The new 6800 ones are definitely a step or two up from the 3200, but it's not going to supplant HP, R&S, etc.

My 3224 was something like $25 because it was missing the power cable. How could I refuse two channels of 24 MHz for pocket change? ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:03:55 am by bitseeker »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #28990 on: April 10, 2019, 12:12:08 am »
Anyone else having crypto errors trying to post to the forum? Trying to share a pic of a neat acquisition and it won't let me. Some kind of SSL/TLS error with Firefox.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #28991 on: April 10, 2019, 12:14:08 am »
Feelcrud (internal floating supplies) now renamed Feelelec have their issues as do the JDS (wallwart) ones. Still good bang for the $ with a power supply tweak. On the actual waveform results the JDS cut some corners and the Feelcrud beats it out.

Both offer a good gateway drug device into something more serious.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28992 on: April 10, 2019, 12:18:08 am »
Feelelec. That's just too many eeee's to look like a real name. My eyes lose focus trying to read it.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28993 on: April 10, 2019, 12:19:15 am »
Lets try this again. Found a Non-Linear Systems MX-1 digital voltmeter at the surplus store today. It does need work, but the nixies light!!

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, kj7e, mnementh, beanflying, nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28994 on: April 10, 2019, 12:20:27 am »
Six choobs! Very nice score there, 0culus.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28995 on: April 10, 2019, 12:32:10 am »
Thanks! Now to look round for manuals...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #28996 on: April 10, 2019, 12:59:56 am »
Schweet, 0culus!   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28997 on: April 10, 2019, 01:20:25 am »
Thanks!

I fixed the main issue right away, which is that the rod that connects the on/off push switch on the front panel to the actual mains switch in the rear of the case was very loose and causing the switch to not contact properly. Now it stays on without holding the switch in!

However, there's still some more wrong with it. No stable readings and it appears to get stuck in some sort of condition where it displays 1200.00 and flashes alternately between + and some symbol I'm not sure of. Does anyone know of any documentation for this brand? Have come up empty searching.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28998 on: April 10, 2019, 02:00:37 am »
I haven't seen any docs for those. Old stuff is hard to find. Old stuff built for government, scientific, or other niche markets is even harder.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #28999 on: April 10, 2019, 02:15:46 am »

PM me with a USPS address and I'll get the ol' girl out tooya as soon as I can build up some proper packing.   :clap:

mnem
 :phew:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf