Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14947895 times)

wolfy007 and 236 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #31625 on: May 19, 2019, 12:13:37 am »
The Tek CDC250 arrived today, well packed. Well, well I must say, it's in nearly like-new condition. Only some residual sticky on top and some sharpie writing that I've already removed. Seller said the fuses in all the units were missing but not this one!

Accuracy is pretty good using the internal time base. At 175.000 MHz (GPSDO locked Agilent) it's off by -56 Hz. Inside clean as a whistle. Might touch up the time base just for fun, but all-in-all not a bad little grab. Now the stack is four units tall, which is better than three units tall LOL.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e, Kosmic

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #31626 on: May 19, 2019, 01:11:41 am »

It's like trying to "correct" being bipedal as if it weren't a part of being human.  ;)
Hey, technically we're all still under 'Tetrapoda'.

Tetrapoda sounds like an auto-feeder for the kids' aquarium. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31627 on: May 19, 2019, 01:14:44 am »
The Tek CDC250 arrived today, well packed. Well, well I must say, it's in nearly like-new condition. Only some residual sticky on top and some sharpie writing that I've already removed. Seller said the fuses in all the units were missing but not this one!

Accuracy is pretty good using the internal time base. At 175.000 MHz (GPSDO locked Agilent) it's off by -56 Hz. Inside clean as a whistle. Might touch up the time base just for fun, but all-in-all not a bad little grab. Now the stack is four units tall, which is better than three units tall LOL.  :-DD

Very nice addition to the Tek set there, xrunner! How do you like that HP sig gen? Most of the ones I see are LCD. The VFD has such nice contrast.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31628 on: May 19, 2019, 01:32:46 am »
Very nice addition to the Tek set there, xrunner! How do you like that HP sig gen? Most of the ones I see are LCD. The VFD has such nice contrast.

The Agilent 8648A - it's a major piece of gear for my bench. I use it a lot repairing/aligning ham radios. When I got it the display seemed a little weak and a few pixels did not light up, but as time has gone on it's in pretty good shape now. I think it sat around somewhere for a while unused before being sold to me, but other than the display getting better it has worked perfectly.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #31629 on: May 19, 2019, 01:54:14 am »

The Agilent 8648A - it's a major piece of gear for my bench. I use it a lot repairing/aligning ham radios. When I got it the display seemed a little weak and a few pixels did not light up, but as time has gone on it's in pretty good shape now. I think it sat around somewhere for a while unused before being sold to me, but other than the display getting better it has worked perfectly.  :-+

My 8664A has the same style VFD and it's really nice.  :-+ How heavy is that beast? The 8664A has one major downside...it is about 90 lbs.

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #31630 on: May 19, 2019, 02:13:09 am »
Think we're venturing into TMI territory now.  :o  :-DD
No, I really don't think so. It shouldn't be THIS HARD to find a couple packages of regular boxers in 3XL, which is STILL a "regular" size from Fruit of the Loom.

Since you guys brought up underwear...   Despite the fact that the only thing I ever buy from Banggood.com is electronic items, they still send me emails with suggestions for other stuff.  One day one of their emails included "elephant underwear."  Don't go there and search it.  Once you see it you can't unsee it.
https://www.banggood.com/search/elephant-underwear.html

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31631 on: May 19, 2019, 02:22:09 am »
My 8664A has the same style VFD and it's really nice.  :-+ How heavy is that beast? The 8664A has one major downside...it is about 90 lbs.

8664A - oh yea that's a real boat anchor. This is just a baby boat anchor compared to that. Maybe 20 - 30 lbs at most.  :-//

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #31632 on: May 19, 2019, 02:26:44 am »
I have reached a non conclusion about the HP missing Logo. It seems to have been subtly tweaked across say the mid 60's to mid 70's away from the original 1950's one. Slightly bulging P to a flatter more squared P being the change but even the degree of bulge varies.  :-//

Going with this one for the current project and as we don't have a repository for Logos I have attached a SVG version here in a ZIP file if anyone wants to use it on a project and if the PNG won't do.

edit: fixed a minor cliping issue on the PNG. The SVG in the ZIP is fine.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:03:23 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Mr. Scram

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #31633 on: May 19, 2019, 02:29:23 am »
No, I really don't think so. It shouldn't be THIS HARD to find a couple packages of regular boxers in 3XL, which is STILL a "regular" size from Fruit of the Loom.

Since you guys brought up underwear...   Despite the fact that the only thing I ever buy from Banggood.com is electronic items, they still send me emails with suggestions for other stuff.  One day one of their emails included "elephant underwear."  Don't go there and search it.  Once you see it you can't unsee it.

Now I know where the guys who own one of these (H2 Hummer) get their drawers.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31634 on: May 19, 2019, 02:38:24 am »

If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #31635 on: May 19, 2019, 02:52:24 am »

8664A - oh yea that's a real boat anchor. This is just a baby boat anchor compared to that. Maybe 20 - 30 lbs at most.  :-//

I love mine, but I do not move it unless I have to.  :-DD [edit] this is also one HP instrument that absolutely must have the rack handles installed. It's honestly unsafe to try lifting it without  them.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 03:27:00 am by 0culus »

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31636 on: May 19, 2019, 04:14:51 am »

Hands tablet to wife and says "Hey, honey, check this out."   Wife looks and says "well, that's not for you, hon, sorry."
Walks out of room slowly dragging forehead on floor.....
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31637 on: May 19, 2019, 04:16:50 am »
I have reached a non conclusion about the HP missing Logo. It seems to have been subtly tweaked across say the mid 60's to mid 70's away from the original 1950's one. Slightly bulging P to a flatter more squared P being the change but even the degree of bulge varies.  :-//

Going with this one for the current project and as we don't have a repository for Logos I have attached a SVG version here in a ZIP file if anyone wants to use it on a project and if the PNG won't do.

I like it!  :-+ :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31638 on: May 19, 2019, 04:18:29 am »

I already know. And, IMO, they're generally VERY optimistic in their "sizing".  :-DD

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #31639 on: May 19, 2019, 04:23:47 am »

The angle of the ventral intersection on the p is too much of a sweeping curve; it needs to be sharper. Otherwise, looking awesome as usual, b.  :-+

mnem
No, really this time.  :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #31640 on: May 19, 2019, 06:07:21 am »
Thanks beanflying for the hp logo work.

Received FeelTech FY6600 - I'm not sure if you guys have seen the latest article in QRZ (ARRL publication) about mod'ing this to use as a WSPR transmitter - he refers to the eevblog forum in the article - the unit the author has had quite a lot of jitter - up to 5Hz. The author replaced the XCO with a TCXO, and removed a dual op amp and replaced it with two op amps (there was a spot for the two amps already on the pcb)
My unit - probably a year or so younger has the 2 op amps, and on testing it drifts about 30Hz (from 1MHz) over the first 10mins but after that is within 0.3Hz. The XCO is about 1cm away from the DC regulators which get up to about 50C with the cover off. Using thermal imaging you can see the pcb warm up from the regs toward the XCO.
For a laugh I might try a TXCO (some bodging required) with a little insulation and some heatsinks on the regulators.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #31641 on: May 19, 2019, 06:08:51 am »
Prosthetic limb implant operation success on the 2465, thanks Mnem !  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31642 on: May 19, 2019, 06:54:10 am »

When I watched the logos of so many companies being altered to give them a 'modern' appearance, I swore to myself: If I ever found a company, it's statutes would expressly forbid any alteration of the logo.

What became of the beautiful Tek logo? A boring word. What became of the beautiful Telefunken logo? A boring word. Philips? HP at least tried to preserve the original idea.

But maybe I'm just a bit too nostalgic ...

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31643 on: May 19, 2019, 06:58:00 am »

When I was a 4-year old, for reasons that no one remembers, I called my beloved trousers 'elephant trousers'. And now this! You just ruined the best part of my childhood! Shame on you!  ;)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31644 on: May 19, 2019, 07:15:40 am »

When I watched the logos of so many companies being altered to give them a 'modern' appearance, I swore to myself: If I ever found a company, it's statutes would expressly forbid any alteration of the logo.

What became of the beautiful Tek logo? A boring word. What became of the beautiful Telefunken logo? A boring word. Philips? HP at least tried to preserve the original idea.

But maybe I'm just a bit too nostalgic ...

HP the Computer company is sort of keep the original alive with this iteration  :-// Still the same rake angle on the bars.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:53:39 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31645 on: May 19, 2019, 07:49:02 am »
Since my sister visited yesterday (and we actually talked about my 'elephant trousers' -- glad I didn't know then what I know now), I had only a few hours to work on the 486.

The seller wrote that the power consumption was too low. He was right: Almost zero is quite an achievement for a CRO. Unless it doesn't work. The neon lamp oscillator worked, so DC power was available to the SPS.
The starter circuit however was not working. The left leg of the Diac stayed close to zero. I checked for shorts and found - nothing. Which really puzzled me. In order not to bore you unnecessarily, it was, of course, a simple mistake on my side. Only much later I found that a node I had already checked indeed had a solid short to 'Neg'.
C1848, a 2 µF/150 Volts electrolytic cap. And no replacement anywhere, except - yes, if it doesn't have to be an electrolyte (and the color won't be visible behind the metal shield), there is one:

There's actually enough room for it. With my sister approaching, I can only power up once, which is answered by a relay ticking in rapid succession. >:( Looks like there's also a short on one of the power rails.

Today at half past six I wanted to continue my repair job. Hooked a scope to TP1951 (which, according to the SM, should give strong hints regarding the shorted rail). Power on - and the damn thing comes to life!

First light! (And the sun illuminating my shirt so brightly that it almost ruins the picture.) Calibrator output (5 volts) at 1:1.

Gentle rapping has no effect. No further tests done (time for breakfast).

However, the device is still full of our beloved tants. And the switch decks are untested yet (apart from choosing the right sensitivity, which showed no apparent problems with deck A).

With the popularity of the 485 and the unpopularity of tantalum caps around the brotherhood, there probably exists a list of them already that can be used to order replacement caps?

It surely is a rather fine CRO. If no other faults turn up, it might even get used regularly.

[And it once belonged to Valvo - another company with a beautiful logo. :D)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #31646 on: May 19, 2019, 08:02:27 am »
:-+                                                          :--

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #31647 on: May 19, 2019, 08:41:16 am »

Actually, I think what -hp- did to themselves and others makes logotype changes sort of petty.

The shift from science company to peddler of PC's (and now they are trying to shove badly written enterprise bloatware down our throats instead of that) is bad enough. They did not stop there:

They bought Compaq (which had bought d|i|g|i|t|a|l and sort of kept that spirit alive) and promptly killed Tru64 in favour of H-PUKES, my least favourite expensive Unix. Tru64 is a quite nice BSD derivate, and the Alpha is a wonderful CPU. The Itanic, not so much.

Only serves them right that they're forced by DoD contracts to maintain VMS like, forever..

/ex Tru64 and VMS admin

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31648 on: May 19, 2019, 10:27:09 am »
Some more slight tweakage on power and speed to come but this one isn't too shabby. Certainly above bodge standards  :-DD

Engraving is on the back side btw apart from a wash and nylon brush scrub zero cleanup.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:28:50 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, VK5RC

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31649 on: May 19, 2019, 11:54:41 am »

Actually, I think what -hp- did to themselves and others makes logotype changes sort of petty.

The shift from science company to peddler of PC's (and now they are trying to shove badly written enterprise bloatware down our throats instead of that) is bad enough. They did not stop there:

They bought Compaq (which had bought d|i|g|i|t|a|l and sort of kept that spirit alive) and promptly killed Tru64 in favour of H-PUKES, my least favourite expensive Unix. Tru64 is a quite nice BSD derivate, and the Alpha is a wonderful CPU. The Itanic, not so much.

Only serves them right that they're forced by DoD contracts to maintain VMS like, forever..

/ex Tru64 and VMS admin

Ex HPUX. Agree with you.  :-DD

We actually bought a load of HP9000 N class kit expecting there to be plug in Itanium magic down the line. Nope! :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf