Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15312230 times)

SashPlane, Hydron and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #34075 on: July 01, 2019, 05:21:36 am »

When I went to ITT tech from 1997-1999, our scope du jour was the BK Precision 2120, 20 MHz scope.  I don't remember what other TE we had, just the scope.  I wouldn't mind having one, but it isn't worth the money to get one, they are going for about $100 and up with shipping.  Also, I just don't have the room for yet another scope.  It would, however, look at home on my ham radio desk with my Yaesu FT-1000MP.
   Ahem.  ;D   (And no, it's not for sale  :-DD)

I have the signal gen and counter that go widdat. You wannem?  :-DD

mnem
No, seriously. Have the NTSC/PAL Pattern generator too.

Signal generator and counter.....sure.  :-+
Pattern generator.....nah.  :--

Want me to pay shipping? You still have my address?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #34076 on: July 01, 2019, 06:16:08 am »
Decided it was time for a short weight before my next bit of Electrical TEA  ;)

Much better spread over the 50 and 100g ones I already have and will be useful in a little load cell job I have coming up. Also maybe a proper sanding, shellacing and relining of the box for no good reason.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34077 on: July 01, 2019, 10:46:51 am »
Thank you all who responded to my question about transistors and data books etc, you have yielded some good useful resources, some I already knew about but many I didn't and those have been most helpful. How ever, nothing beats have a proper book with the information laid both in alpha-numerical and in tables sorted by applications, power dissipation etc. Makes finding a suitable replacement so much easier then sifting through literally thousands of items, particularly when there is no known direct equivalent but it may be that another in a different case outline would be a suitable replacement if it can mounted etc.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:11:02 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #34078 on: July 01, 2019, 01:49:58 pm »

When I went to ITT tech from 1997-1999, our scope du jour was the BK Precision 2120, 20 MHz scope.  I don't remember what other TE we had, just the scope.  I wouldn't mind having one, but it isn't worth the money to get one, they are going for about $100 and up with shipping.  Also, I just don't have the room for yet another scope.  It would, however, look at home on my ham radio desk with my Yaesu FT-1000MP.
   Ahem.  ;D   (And no, it's not for sale  :-DD)

I have the signal gen and counter that go widdat. You wannem?  :-DD

mnem
No, seriously. Have the NTSC/PAL Pattern generator too.
Signal generator and counter.....sure.  :-+
Pattern generator.....nah.  :--

Want me to pay shipping? You still have my address?

Oh crap... I'm sorry, med. I had a total brainfart. It was the PROTEK units on my bench I was thinking of that look like that scope; my B&Ks are a wee bit older.  :palm:

I blame the cold medicine and lack of sleep.  |O If you still wannem, they're yours.

mnem
*back into my hole*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34079 on: July 01, 2019, 02:24:06 pm »

Oh crap... I'm sorry, med. I had a total brainfart. It was the PROTEK units on my bench I was thinking of that look like that scope; my B&Ks are a wee bit older.  :palm:

I blame the cold medicine and lack of sleep.  |O If you still wannem, they're yours.

mnem
*back into my hole*

Well....I'm a wee bit older too.  :-DD Sure.....I'll take'em if you don't want them. Adding that frequency counter will bring the total to 3 plus the frequency counter readout on the 2465DMS. I can become a time nut and fret over none of them matching.   :-// ;D

Lemme know what you wanna do via PM.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34080 on: July 01, 2019, 02:58:08 pm »
Well screw Monday.

Firstly RM didn't deliver the grey slip today for my thing from Elecraft so I went and paid the customs fee online and the payment process fell over resulting in a charge being made but no confirmation of redelivery. Fortunately paid by paypal so I am disputing it but i'll probably get the grey slip tomorrow and have to pay the customs fee again (£35 no less) and then deal with it. Argh.

Now my entire road is police taped off and I have no idea why. :palm:

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #34081 on: July 01, 2019, 05:16:58 pm »

Some ideas may be found here;
https://kernelmag.dailydot.com/features/report/7074/six-of-the-uks-strangest-offences/

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34082 on: July 01, 2019, 05:17:32 pm »
Well screw Monday.

Firstly RM didn't deliver the grey slip today for my thing from Elecraft so I went and paid the customs fee online and the payment process fell over resulting in a charge being made but no confirmation of redelivery. Fortunately paid by paypal so I am disputing it but i'll probably get the grey slip tomorrow and have to pay the customs fee again (£35 no less) and then deal with it. Argh.

What's a grey slip?

Are you sure the cops aren't after you?  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34083 on: July 01, 2019, 05:20:05 pm »
Grey slip is something they post through your door instead of the post which they hold ransom until you pay the amount on the slip. Which today didn’t work because their systems are borked. But I still got charged.

Wasn’t me for once. Found out someone got splatted by a car.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34085 on: July 01, 2019, 05:36:48 pm »
@bd139 or of course it could be this? https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/isleworth-station-latest-police-descend-on-west-london-station-after-shots-fired-a4019901.html

Shots fired and they find a knife?  :-//

Obviously someone broke a golden rule.  :-DD

"You don't bring a knife to a gun fight"

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34086 on: July 01, 2019, 05:45:09 pm »
@bd139 or of course it could be this? https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/isleworth-station-latest-police-descend-on-west-london-station-after-shots-fired-a4019901.html

That’s my favourite bit of any film ever that.

Lol no that was months ago. I think we’ve had a few stabbings and shootings here. It’s perfectly safe though unless you’re of a certain type of person.

Edit: it’s all action today: https://news.sky.com/story/stowaway-found-dead-in-garden-after-falling-from-plane-near-heathrow-11752788

I long to live somewhere nothing ever happens.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:48:53 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34087 on: July 01, 2019, 05:56:05 pm »
I can finally get back to TEA activity now that the kitchen is done. Walls and ceiling re-painted. First order of business is ripping the Tek 7904 PSU apart and find out who let out magic smoke.  :-BROKE

Later this Summer going to re-paint living room. That will be an absolute hoot with all the benches and crap that will have to move.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34088 on: July 01, 2019, 06:05:13 pm »

That’s my favourite bit of any film ever that.

Lol no that was months ago. I think we’ve had a few stabbings and shootings here. It’s perfectly safe though unless you’re of a certain type of person.

Edit: it’s all action today: https://news.sky.com/story/stowaway-found-dead-in-garden-after-falling-from-plane-near-heathrow-11752788

I long to live somewhere nothing ever happens.
Doh, I never saw the date, and I specifically searched for today's news in Isleworth  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #34089 on: July 01, 2019, 06:08:11 pm »
I can finally get back to TEA activity now that the kitchen is done. Walls and ceiling re-painted. First order of business is ripping the Tek 7904 PSU apart and find out who let out magic smoke.  :-BROKE

Later this Summer going to re-paint living room. That will be an absolute hoot with all the benches and crap that will have to move.  :palm:

Nice 'n' shiny! What are the little bottles on the range?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34090 on: July 01, 2019, 06:26:59 pm »

Nice 'n' shiny! What are the little bottles on the range?

Samplers of Bailey's Irish Cream. All "sampled" and empty.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34091 on: July 01, 2019, 06:50:05 pm »
Oh... I was thinkin' the bottle of Emmet's on the nukebox had babies...  :-DD

mnem
Just watched the Dr Who Christmas Special; I miss my curmudgeonly old Doctor who was always on about doing the right thing and played rock & roll guitar to decompress... *sigh*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34092 on: July 01, 2019, 06:54:32 pm »
Dr who is just shit now. My ass could squeeze out a more shapely turd.

Shit since about 2003 that is.

Currently chilling out for the evening pending my GPSDO arrival tomorrow. Watching Ghost in the Shell (the new one).

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34093 on: July 01, 2019, 07:37:41 pm »
Bite me. I grew up on reruns of the Peter Davidson & Tom Baker years, and even sought out the older series when such material came available on the intardnet.

I like the reboot; a LOT. I even felt cheated that Eccleston didn't get more than one season; I liked the dark edge he brought to the Doctor. We'll see; I've had the same misgivings about every new incarnation, and every time the new Doctor has eventually earned a place in my heart. Just not sure if I'm ready for a chirpy female version of the Tennant Doctor.  :o

I Liked GITS:SAC, but found 2nd Gig a little disjointed and dystopian even for my warped sensibilities. I've been watching Arise as I find chunks of it online. Still undecided.

mnem
*back to my hole*

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:41:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34094 on: July 01, 2019, 07:50:12 pm »
Yeah after Eccleston bailed that was it for me. He was good. After that, recycled shite with the whole airy fairy arrogant wonder bollocks around it literally does my head in. Haven't watched SAC (yet). Also currently watching Star Trek Discovery. Really on the fence on that one. About 8 episodes in and it's a bit wanky. Also attempting to watch Agents of Shield. Also a bit wanky with angry Coulson which is just basically cheating because they shouldn't have killed him off. Need more of the off-Earth stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Anyway back on TE, my OCXO hasn't blown up for 2 days now and is currently running as the reference oscillator for the 5334B now. Still haven't got all the damn prescaler bits in yet  :--

Also geting some ringing on the driver. Think there's too much inductance there as the impedance match is right. I will probably design a carrier board for the OCXO and see if that improves it.

Rise time is good. <3ns driving 6 feet of RG58.

Edit: also scored a bag of 17x MRF237 RF PA transistors for £5. Can squeeze 20W out of four of them. Interesting RF burns ahead!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:10:04 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #34095 on: July 01, 2019, 08:02:20 pm »
Oh... I was thinkin' the bottle of Emmet's on the nukebox had babies...  :-DD

mnem
Just watched the Dr Who Christmas Special; I miss my curmudgeonly old Doctor who was always on about doing the right thing and played rock & roll guitar to decompress... *sigh*

That bottle is empty too.  :-DD

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #34096 on: July 01, 2019, 08:18:27 pm »
Currently chilling out for the evening pending my GPSDO arrival tomorrow. ...

Which GPSDO do you have coming?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34097 on: July 01, 2019, 08:19:33 pm »
Currently chilling out for the evening pending my GPSDO arrival tomorrow. ...

Which GPSDO do you have coming?

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=301

This is just to cal the OCXO box and have an absolute reference I can trust in short term.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #34098 on: July 01, 2019, 08:33:14 pm »
I've been having fun hot rodding my BG7TBL GPSDO's.  Started with one, then upgraded the OCXO from the single oven Trimble to the double oven UCT 108663.  Then upgraded the u-blox NEO-M7 to the M8T.  Picked up a second one and did the same to it as well.  Learning a ton about GPS and all the various settings.

100 second gate, -10MHz offset, difference between the two GPSDO's

Fired up the extra NOS UCT 108663's to burn them in some and come up with a default EFC voltage;

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, bd139, 0culus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34099 on: July 01, 2019, 08:44:16 pm »
nice set up  :-+. I'll probably head in the distribution amplifer and upgrade this Leo Bodnar one into something similar when I move house. At the moment I'm constrained by having no place to stick a GPS antenna. I'm going to be sitting in the garden with this  :-DD

The Leo Bodnar one has a Ublox GPS in it but not sure which it is. I assume it's a T spec one rather than the usual 1pps one. I'll take it to bits and find out :D

Just bought a hooky 100W linear PA kit from aliexpress. Wonder if it'll work  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:45:53 pm by bd139 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf