Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14979517 times)

shakalnokturn and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #38950 on: September 16, 2019, 12:25:39 pm »
... hair-legged shitsistors ...

Oh can I use that one myself (with proper attribution)?  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #38951 on: September 16, 2019, 12:29:53 pm »
I'd be a lot more worried about penis fingers installing them backwards.  :-DD

Just use the next size up. They come in 1/4W, 1/2W, 1W & 2W FFS. Plenty of selection for releasing of the magic smoke...  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #38952 on: September 16, 2019, 12:40:27 pm »
Good deal if it applies elsewhere with Farnell/E14 https://au.element14.com/duratool/d00114/locking-plier-4pc/dp/1447413 and you need to order some other bits.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38953 on: September 16, 2019, 12:49:48 pm »
... hair-legged shitsistors ...

Oh can I use that one myself (with proper attribution)?  :-DD

You're welcome to. No attribution required. Not sure I was even the originator of that :)

Just use the next size up. They come in 1/4W, 1/2W, 1W & 2W FFS. Plenty of selection for releasing of the magic smoke...  >:D

mnem

It's not the size but the propensity for the things to apparently just have random colours painted on them, the legs being so fine and just tinned steel so they go rusty before you can even get them in the board and the tempco being fuck you ppm.

one of the funny ones is a guy down the local amateur radio club build a dummy load with 20x 2W random chinese 1k 1% resistors. The legs were as thick as the 0.25W ones I usually buy and the impedance was 54 ohms  :palm:. Not only that, 40W was pumped into it and smoke came out.

Royal Ohm sell some really nice ones for a few nano-credits more. Just have to go to Tayda and fill up there.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38954 on: September 16, 2019, 12:57:22 pm »
For those that didn't learn a little German at school, in German the verb is at the end of the sentence, not between the subject and object. Yes, German is RPN :)

Eh, no. The verb is between the subject and object unless there is a tense or additional verb in the same sentence.

McBryce.

Jepp. Example:   "bd139 verlötet Molexstecker."

bd139 <-- subject
verlötet <-- verb
Molexstecker <-- object.

:)

Another example:  "med6753 benutzt UPN."

Same pattern as above.  ;)

Hope, this was helpful.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38955 on: September 16, 2019, 01:08:40 pm »
Yes, but as usual, he soldered it in backwards. Fortunately, he also built the plug backwards, so they match...  :-DD

mnem
 *agitating-ily* >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38956 on: September 16, 2019, 01:16:11 pm »
I would call this "bd-style" :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38957 on: September 16, 2019, 01:21:05 pm »
This is fightin' talk  :box: :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38958 on: September 16, 2019, 01:33:39 pm »
OK.....what is that in English?  :-DD Google goes apeshit trying to translate.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38959 on: September 16, 2019, 01:37:53 pm »

WWBD? (What would bd139 do?)  :-/O

:-DD

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38960 on: September 16, 2019, 01:39:06 pm »
OK.....what is that in English?  :-DD Google goes apeshit trying to translate.  :scared:

"med6753 benutzt UPN."  --> "med6753 is using reverse polish notation."   ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38961 on: September 16, 2019, 02:11:55 pm »

Blow them up  :-DD

Actually disappointingly I don't have any shitty Chinese capacitors floating around at the moment and the good ones don't tend to explode too easy :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38962 on: September 16, 2019, 02:29:32 pm »

"med6753 benutzt UPN."  --> "med6753 is using reverse polish notation."   ;D

Nixiefreqq.....I think he just called us stupid but I'm not sure.  :-// :-DD I can't seem to flush out the cob webs today. I slept real late and I'm still in a haze.  :o

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38963 on: September 16, 2019, 02:33:52 pm »
Just a little bit teasing you. It's Monday and the week is soooo long.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #38964 on: September 16, 2019, 02:35:45 pm »

Guten tag herr BU508A.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38965 on: September 16, 2019, 02:50:38 pm »

That's OK. I can take teasing. I got my big boy pants on.  :-DD

"It's Monday and the week is soooo long." I'm retired. Everyday for me is "Wow, I can do what I want".  :-+ :-+ :-+

Gotcha back!  :P :P :-DD

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #38966 on: September 16, 2019, 03:01:21 pm »

Blow them up  :-DD

Actually disappointingly I don't have any shitty Chinese capacitors floating around at the moment and the good ones don't tend to explode too easy :(

Blowing up steaks is more satisfying than caps or diodes. You can at least eat them in the end  :)

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38967 on: September 16, 2019, 03:02:55 pm »

"It's Monday and the week is soooo long." I'm retired. Everyday for me is "Wow, I can do what I want".  :-+ :-+ :-+

Don't you have some Tek scopes to repair?  :P   ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38968 on: September 16, 2019, 03:07:10 pm »

The patient, 465B, and the doctor, 485, are warming up as we speak.  :-/O 8) ;D

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38969 on: September 16, 2019, 03:11:01 pm »

Med isn't the only one with Tek scopes to repair.
My repair que:

475A
475 DM44
465B
7854 (replaced vertical output IC, still some minor issues to iron out)

Also, I have a stockpile of 7K plugins in need of service

The TEA Tek repair section isn't so lonely anymore. haha

Now, to find the time.... Hopefully I'm not heavily overloaded with jobs for too much longer..
Then again, I want more money, so maybe I just need to hire pyons...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38970 on: September 16, 2019, 03:49:22 pm »

mnem

It's not the size but the propensity for the things to apparently just have random colours painted on them, the legs being so fine and just tinned steel so they go rusty before you can even get them in the board and the tempco being fuck you ppm.

one of the funny ones is a guy down the local amateur radio club build a dummy load with 20x 2W random chinese 1k 1% resistors. The legs were as thick as the 0.25W ones I usually buy and the impedance was 54 ohms  :palm:. Not only that, 40W was pumped into it and smoke came out.

Royal Ohm sell some really nice ones for a few nano-credits more. Just have to go to Tayda and fill up there.

Are you telling me you don't check them with a meter before you start hacking? Come on... half the projects you talk about in here require hand-matching anyways...  ::)

mnem
I swear... some people would bitch about free fellatio... :o

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38971 on: September 16, 2019, 04:06:12 pm »
"med6753 benutzt UPN."  --> "med6753 is using reverse polish notation."   ;D

So is bd139; that's why his parts go in backwards. :-DD

With acronyms, you don't translate the individual source words; you use the common acronym as-is. It should have been "med6753 benutzt RPN." Then we'd all have been able to grok just from the context. ;)

"It's Monday and the week is soooo long." I'm retired. Everyday for me is "Wow, I can do what I want".  :-+ :-+ :-+  Gotcha back!  :P :P :-DD

I'm moving, and I just came in from 3 hours stacking boxes & bins in a 140° solar oven. Fuck off and die! GRRRRRAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH! ;)

mnem
Star Trek Trivia:"Q'apla!", the popular Klingon expression, actually most closely approximates "Fuck off and die!" expressed as a friendly curse between soldiers. They told the Federation it meant "Success!!!" as a joke, and they never caught on.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:21:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38972 on: September 16, 2019, 04:12:38 pm »
Well, this is embarrassing and a mystery. The roll off on this 465B IS due to the attenuators being completely fubar and needing adjustment. I don't get it, I would never complete a project and leave it in this condition. This was the same 465B where I had to completely replace the channel 2 switch deck. I know I went thru the adjustment procedure and I checked my notes. But no matter. Both channels need to be set properly. Going through that now.   

Also, this replacement pre-amp board is working fine however the DC balance on both channels and the Invert balance on channel 2 were literally off the screen. I smell monkey twist pot when this board was in the parts mule in a lame attempt at some sort of repair. But that's fixed now too. 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38973 on: September 16, 2019, 04:19:50 pm »
Well, this is embarrassing and a mystery. The roll off on this 465B IS due to the attenuators being completely fubar and needing adjustment. I don't get it, I would never complete a project and leave it in this condition. This was the same 465B where I had to completely replace the channel 2 switch deck. I know I went thru the adjustment procedure and I checked my notes. But no matter. Both channels need to be set properly. Going through that now.   

Also, this replacement pre-amp board is working fine however the DC balance on both channels and the Invert balance on channel 2 were literally off the screen. I smell monkey twist pot when this board was in the parts mule in a lame attempt at some sort of repair. But that's fixed now too. 

Is it possible your notes reflect adjustment done prior to replacement...? I can't count the number of times I've fucked myself that way over the years...

mnem
*recursive*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38974 on: September 16, 2019, 04:33:13 pm »

mnem

Are you telling me you don't check them with a meter before you start hacking? Come on... half the projects you talk about in here require hand-matching anyways...  ::)

mnem
I swear... some people would bitch about free fellatio... :o

I buy ones I know are in tolerance so I don't have to :)

99% of the time I don't bother to check. On the matching front, that's a rarity and mostly semiconductor matching. That's going away now as I found some MAT-02 transistors and a couple of SBL-1 mixers in the crap boxes :-DD

They're only free because they're shit!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf