Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14959536 times)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62050 on: June 29, 2020, 08:10:56 am »
I have posted my story of the Braun Visacoustic projector in the Repair section because of this:

"Ask for repair help or describe how to repair equipment"

This is an example of any and all tree-like hierarchical catalogue systems, from filing cabinets to the Dewey Decimal system, and fleabay. They can't unambiguously guide you to where things are; the best they can hope to acheive is to guide you away from where they aren't.

My report has been found by a guy from Italy, I think because of google. That's why I've placed some keywords in my text, hoping, that a search engine will indexing it. Not the best solution I admit but I have no better idea how to organize those things.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62051 on: June 29, 2020, 08:32:21 am »
Corporate firewall and VPN fun this morning, the tantalum capacitors of the IT industry  >:(

I'm actually getting withdrawal symptoms from tant hunting now  :(

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62052 on: June 29, 2020, 08:39:59 am »
fixing end user errors and doing staff requisition ppts while waiting for my boss to be available.

it is an effing setup when an auditor tries to set up technical hiring criteria ...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62053 on: June 29, 2020, 08:42:23 am »
Corporate firewall and VPN fun this morning, the tantalum capacitors of the IT industry  >:(

I'm actually getting withdrawal symptoms from tant hunting now  :(

Pulling out the high ESR ones and replace them with something more performant? :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62054 on: June 29, 2020, 08:44:23 am »
Sitting here drinking coffee and deciding what I'll do today.

The non-corporate world of retirement.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62055 on: June 29, 2020, 08:48:57 am »
Hi,

Just received this nice EIP 454 counter.
It's working, only the band 3 (1-18GHz) is apparently not working correctly from what the vendor was saying. It doesn't matter for me ,I'm not very interested in this band and do not have instrument playing in this range.

Alex

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #62056 on: June 29, 2020, 08:52:11 am »
Hey guys... I just got done doing a bolt extraction on the Juki sewing machine by slotting with a Dremel, etc... I took a few pics and was thinking of doing a little "Tinkering 101: Bolt Extraction" post as a New Topic. Just... I have no idea where would be the right area on eevBlog.  :-//

Suggestions...?

mnem
 :phew:

Repair. As the others wrote.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #62057 on: June 29, 2020, 08:54:38 am »
Ages since I did anything with Altium and trying to bash out a PCB for a 74HC14 fast edge pulser.  ::)
Not going that well as my Libraries are old so not looking forward to making models for a USB-B TH socket and edge mount SMA connector......at least we're just down to the last 2 !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62058 on: June 29, 2020, 08:55:10 am »
Hi,

It's working, only the band 3 (1-18GHz) is apparently not working correctly from what the vendor was saying. It doesn't matter for me ,I'm not very interested in this band and do not have instrument playing in this range.

Alex

Most likely a blown input from some Gorilla applying too much voltage. Should not be all that difficult to find the damaged components. But what might be difficult is getting replacement components.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62059 on: June 29, 2020, 09:28:56 am »
Hey guys... I just got done doing a bolt extraction on the Juki sewing machine by slotting with a Dremel, etc... I took a few pics and was thinking of doing a little "Tinkering 101: Bolt Extraction" post as a New Topic. Just... I have no idea where would be the right area on eevBlog.  :-//

Suggestions...?

mnem
 :phew:
100% in the repair section.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62060 on: June 29, 2020, 09:34:49 am »
Hi,

Alex

pretty cool i must say!
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #62061 on: June 29, 2020, 09:39:50 am »
Repair re the dremel slotting, I am happy to put it in the summary of the vintage restoration etc thread if you think it is appropriate.
Recently I came across a set of 'nut' extractors, like a socket set with left hand course threads that help remove rounded off nuts. I had to buy it of course!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62062 on: June 29, 2020, 09:47:38 am »
I have posted my story of the Braun Visacoustic projector in the Repair section because of this:

This is an example of any and all tree-like hierarchical catalogue systems, from filing cabinets to the Dewey Decimal system, and fleabay. They can't unambiguously guide you to where things are; the best they can hope to acheive is to guide you away from where they aren't.

My report has been found by a guy from Italy, I think because of google. That's why I've placed some keywords in my text, hoping, that a search engine will indexing it. Not the best solution I admit but I have no better idea how to organize those things.

There is not and cannot be a single right way!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62063 on: June 29, 2020, 09:52:38 am »

There is not and cannot be a single right way!

I didn't say that.  :)

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62064 on: June 29, 2020, 12:24:58 pm »
 :scared: :scared: oh.. what just happened..
This ebay seller from poland.. the story continues.
Thanks you guys for al your tips.. :-+ :-+ 
i contacted ebay and i was given a proper link to complain at paypal.. i did.. now the seller answares to me: Dear Tony we have now send you a good, best unit to you, you will receive a tracking code.
so there was a good unit after all? or the story continues .. haha lets see :-DD

Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62065 on: June 29, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »
Just keep track of cut-off dates, so that you don't get screwed by the delaying tactic of promising you satisfaction if you wait a little longer ... then a little bit longer .... then just a bit more.

If you wait too long and your window of opportunity to escalate to a claim expires, in most cases you'll be very quickly forgotten and your complaints and protestations will be ignored all around.

The following users thanked this post: klab

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62066 on: June 29, 2020, 12:51:22 pm »
Just keep track of cut-off dates, so that you don't get screwed by the delaying tactic of promising you satisfaction if you wait a little longer ... then a little bit longer .... then just a bit more.

If you wait too long and your window of opportunity to escalate to a claim expires, in most cases you'll be very quickly forgotten and your complaints and protestations will be ignored all around.

i answered back that i am happy to send back the broken unit after i have received the good working unit and a return label.

from TNT:
Good news. TDM ELECTRONICS S.A. has arranged for us to deliver your shipment. Your shipment will be delivered on July 01, 2020 .

... we will seee
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:53:40 pm by tonyalbus »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62067 on: June 29, 2020, 01:16:28 pm »
Have you got a tracking number yet? This then also proves that the listing was extremely misleading and also proves that had more than 1 unit to sell, which was never mentioned in the listing. As other have said, keep track of the dates to make sure that you do not miss the deadline, beyond which you are on you're own. Some sellers will keep you on a string until the deadline has passed.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62068 on: June 29, 2020, 01:25:09 pm »
Doesn't Ebay have a banning process and should this clown be invited to join the band with choice of instrument?  :-//

Clearly he's committing fraud.  ::)

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62069 on: June 29, 2020, 01:29:26 pm »
Have you got a tracking number yet? This then also proves that the listing was extremely misleading and also proves that had more than 1 unit to sell, which was never mentioned in the listing. As other have said, keep track of the dates to make sure that you do not miss the deadline, beyond which you are on you're own. Some sellers will keep you on a string until the deadline has passed.

Thanks again, i felt really bad about it, first time i have a bad experiance on ebay. i am usualy lucky...
also only one problem with bangyougood, but now almost only shopping at aliexpress.
Wish never arrives now in covid and untracked...so stoped there too.

yes have a code from TNT directly and from seller, it should arrive around 1/7 ..

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62070 on: June 29, 2020, 01:32:03 pm »
Doesn't Ebay have a banning process and should this clown be invited to join the band with choice of instrument?  :-//

Clearly he's committing fraud.  ::)

Somehow he gets a lot of positive votes.. i think he has 95% ... only a few buyers really are in pure rage! if you read the comments..
i will pass next time, what ever the outcome

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62071 on: June 29, 2020, 01:44:55 pm »
I am such as bad boy. I can't stop snickering. RE: Scope Wars.

Somebody smack me.  :-DD

That thread has become the usual EEVBlog DSO thread. 95%+ noise and you have to dig for the signal.

So true  :-DD

The preferred sports on eevblog, arguing about scopes.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62072 on: June 29, 2020, 01:48:11 pm »
Spent the morning being repeatedly kicked in the balls by the internet... you'd think "sewing machine oil" would be a pretty UN-ambiguous search term; but I keep getting page after page of everything but that. (iPwn cases...? SERIOUSLY...?) Or something that could work, only ridiculously priced or an eyedropperful of product when I need a pint. |O

I think I'm just going to say "fuck it" and go with some light hydraulic oil; viscosity will be a bit high, but at least I can get a quart at Princess Auto without killing myself.  :palm:

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62073 on: June 29, 2020, 01:49:08 pm »

Thanks again, i felt really bad about it, first time i have a bad experiance on ebay. i am usualy lucky...
also only one problem with bangyougood, but now almost only shopping at aliexpress.
Wish never arrives now in covid and untracked...so stoped there too.

yes have a code from TNT directly and from seller, it should arrive around 1/7 ..

Make sure you understand what such a code doesn't mean.

Once I had such a code but the shipment never moved; I even allowed an extra week for delivery to occur. Eventually I cancelled the order via ebay, since it was clear the sender (an Israeli company) had not given the part to the shipping company. A week or so later the company said they could send it to me. Suspicion: if not an outright fraud, they were advertising something they didn't have but thought they could get after somebody had ordered it.

As others have said, don't let the clock tick down past a threshold.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62074 on: June 29, 2020, 01:54:38 pm »
Spent the morning being repeatedly kicked in the balls by the internet... you'd think "sewing machine oil" would be a pretty UN-ambiguous search term; but I keep getting page after page of everything but that. (iPwn cases...? SERIOUSLY...?) Or something that could work, only ridiculously priced or an eyedropperful of product when I need a pint. |O

I think I'm just going to say "fuck it" and go with some light hydraulic oil; viscosity will be a bit high, but at least I can get a quart at Princess Auto without killing myself.  :palm:

mnem

Do you have this brand?

on amazon btw i get a lot of matches on that term
https://www.techniekwebshop.nl/kroon-oil-smo-1830-02217-1-l-flacon-bus.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:56:34 pm by tonyalbus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf