Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14955996 times)

dazz1 and 189 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #6375 on: January 14, 2018, 09:37:37 pm »
But my youth was misspent hanging out at the Hollywood Theater in Dormont during the time when live re-enactments of the Rocky Horror Picture Show were accompanied by their theater organ.

Amongst other things, my youth was misspent watching Tim Curry stomp past me up the aisle during the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I still have the T-shirt :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6376 on: January 14, 2018, 09:46:23 pm »
Just bagged this crusty decade box for a song, it'll join my home brew one.

Also bagged a remote for the Bose SoundDock I was given and for the cost of the extra postage, the seller is going to chuck in the non-working SoundDock it came from, hence selling the remote, yes, result!!

winner winner, chicken dinner. :-DD

So you still haven't told us... which model did you get?

This photo is the the only other info I have at this stage, there may be more info on it when it arrives but until then, this is all I have to go on.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #6377 on: January 15, 2018, 01:18:13 am »
But my youth was misspent hanging out at the Hollywood Theater in Dormont during the time when live re-enactments of the Rocky Horror Picture Show were accompanied by their theater organ.

Amongst other things, my youth was misspent watching Tim Curry stomp past me up the aisle during the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I still have the T-shirt :)

Was a hoot, I'm sure. If he'd showed up in person at the Hollywood, I doubt anyone would've noticed; too much alcohol, weed & coke flowing in the back of the mezzanine. I understand that they had professional troupes doing the Show at the Hollywood; once it was "discovered" by the rich kids from Mt. Lebanon next door. I was long gone by then. I've BEEN Rocky, and Dr Frankenfurter, and Eddie... I NEVER shirked ANY role. ;) For us 'mercans, the first taste of the Rocky Horror experience was usually at a drive-in; so for lots of us, the "Picture Show" is still what we think of.

This photo is the the only other info I have at this stage, there may be more info on it when it arrives but until then, this is all I have to go on.

Of course... Ser # 1, eh?  ::)

But I was asking about the Sound Dock... if it's one of the older models with a 30-pin dock, this looks like the way to modernize. Now... whether to get 2 or 3 of the cheap $4 one, or spring for the $11 one that's supposedly EDR/AVRC...

mnem
"Love Ewe" makes a damn fine Dr. FrankenFurter, BTW.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6378 on: January 15, 2018, 01:43:48 am »

But I was asking about the Sound Dock... if it's one of the older models with a 30-pin dock, this looks like the way to modernize. Now... whether to get 2 or 3 of the cheap $4 one, or spring for the $11 one that's supposedly EDR/AVRC...

mnem

Yep serial #1, prototype? or maybe it actually is the first of many, maybe increased value?

Sound Dock is Portable, like the series 2 but portable meaning it has a swivel dock and a add on battery pack to remove the need for a mains lead, it has built in handle as well.

The Bluetooth adaptor, I had already ordered on those precise models which should be here Wednesday or Thursday with a tailwind behind it  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6379 on: January 15, 2018, 02:18:49 am »

Bose = marketing triumphing of reality like many things these days. Without the lead weights in the base of their gear they felt just as cheap as some WunHungLo brand chinese junk, the lead weights actually made them feel premium. They might have had some other benefits but im pretty sure they were by accident.

The only thing Bose had going for them back in the early 2k's where their multi-room stuff, they were way ahead of Sonos etc in making it easy for Joe Public to have it and use it.
Oh I don't know. I think Bose have got the sound about right and the power because whenever I go to Currys, our biggest distributor and I get to play with the competitors to their gear in there, Bose always come out on top for sound quality etc until I compare them against my special ones which are no longer available, sadly because with the right marketing behind them they would blow Bose out of the water.

Bose haven't been worth the powder to blow them to hell since they made only speakers. I have fond rubber-cement-intoxicated memories of re-ringing the drivers in a pair of 901s (long ago sold to a mate) and decades later a pair of 501 Series IIIs (right now in a saran-wrapped cardboard box in the closet) and a pair of 301s cuurently being used in the bedroom.

My favorite balance of sound has always come from a BiAmp/PolyAmp configuration; you just can't get enough separation of frequencies from a passive crossover. I still have my favorite "single" speakers; a pair of AR M6 modular speakers designed from the ground up for BiAmp drive. They've seen quite a pounding in the last 20 something years and are right now saran-wrapped in storage right next to the 501s awaiting the time when I have time and money at the same time to rebuild the enclosures due to the infamous "split seam" failure these are known for. One of these days I'll find a set of M1s and MC1s to complete the "Holographic Imaging" system they were famous for; I did quite like the balance from the 301s as rears though.

That said... the Sennheiser 25 studio monitor headphones have been the de-facto benchmark for sound since I was a teenager; unbelievably, when they re-vamped them into the HD25s they only got better. Sure you CAN get better for more money; but you can't be guaranteed of anything as good for the money anywhere else. IMO, YMMV, DQMOT, WTFBBQSAUCE, DILLIGAF?

Nothing beats a big grunty amp and big grunty speakers - one day I'll get a pure Power amp to drive my LCR's as they'd respond well I think. I have the Krix Epicentrix (mk1) centre channel and a pair of Krix Neuphonix (mk1) floor L/R's. I use a pair of Krix Equinox (mk2) as rear surrounds which could happily stay being driven by my current amp.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6380 on: January 15, 2018, 02:46:44 am »
Here is the Rolls Royce of Bluetooth speakers, you can clearly see the big kick arse woofer along with its mid range and treble drivers on each channel. It weighs a bloody ton, has 3 huge power amps with big heat sinks and the woofer has huge powerful magnet on it too.

Has stacks of volume and a real rich and full bodied tone with deep bass, has to be heard to fully appreciate its sound quality. I have 2 of these identical apart from the other one has a 30 pin dock in the top under a flap, both have a 3.5mm stereo auxiliary input jacks and the other carries the name Kenwin, I had earlier said it was Kenwood but I was wrong  :palm: I got both of these brand new with remotes and they cost me less £100 for the pair, normal price was many times that amount each. Guess you could say I was in the right place at the right time  :popcorn:

Who let Murphy in?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6381 on: January 15, 2018, 02:48:04 am »
Here is the Rolls Royce of Bluetooth speakers, you can clearly see the big kick arse woofer along with its mid range and treble drivers on each channel. It weighs a bloody ton, has 3 huge power amps with big heat sinks and the woofer has huge powerful magnet on it too.

Has stacks of volume and a real rich and full bodied tone with deep bass, has to be heard to fully appreciate its sound quality. I have 2 of these identical apart from the other one has a 30 pin dock in the top under a flap, both have a 3.5mm stereo auxiliary input jacks and the other carries the name Kenwin, I had earlier said it was Kenwood but I was wrong  :palm: I got both of these brand new with remotes and they cost me less £100 for the pair, normal price was many times that amount each. Guess you could say I was in the right place at the right time  :popcorn:

Nice, pretty impressive for BT speaker!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6382 on: January 15, 2018, 05:21:39 am »

mnem

Yep serial #1, prototype? or maybe it actually is the first of many, maybe increased value?

Sound Dock is Portable, like the series 2 but portable meaning it has a swivel dock and a add on battery pack to remove the need for a mains lead, it has built in handle as well.

The Bluetooth adaptor, I had already ordered on those precise models which should be here Wednesday or Thursday with a tailwind behind it  :-DD

Which one did you get? The cheapie, or the more expensive BT 4.1 one that's supposedly EDR/AVRC?

Oh, I think I remember those... the dock part swivels around when it's not being used and it looks like just a plain fascia, right?

Bose = marketing triumphing of reality like many things these days. Without the lead weights in the base of their gear they felt just as cheap as some WunHungLo brand chinese junk, the lead weights actually made them feel premium. They might have had some other benefits but im pretty sure they were by accident.

The only thing Bose had going for them back in the early 2k's where their multi-room stuff, they were way ahead of Sonos etc in making it easy for Joe Public to have it and use it.
Oh I don't know. I think Bose have got the sound about right and the power because whenever I go to Currys, our biggest distributor and I get to play with the competitors to their gear in there, Bose always come out on top for sound quality etc until I compare them against my special ones which are no longer available, sadly because with the right marketing behind them they would blow Bose out of the water.

Bose haven't been worth the powder to blow them to hell since they made only speakers. I have fond rubber-cement-intoxicated memories of re-ringing the drivers in a pair of 901s (long ago sold to a mate) and decades later a pair of 501 Series IIIs (right now in a saran-wrapped cardboard box in the closet) and a pair of 301s cuurently being used in the bedroom.

My favorite balance of sound has always come from a BiAmp/PolyAmp configuration; you just can't get enough separation of frequencies from a passive crossover. I still have my favorite "single" speakers; a pair of AR M6 modular speakers designed from the ground up for BiAmp drive. They've seen quite a pounding in the last 20 something years and are right now saran-wrapped in storage right next to the 501s awaiting the time when I have time and money at the same time to rebuild the enclosures due to the infamous "split seam" failure these are known for. One of these days I'll find a set of M1s and MC1s to complete the "Holographic Imaging" system they were famous for; I did quite like the balance from the 301s as rears though.

That said... the Sennheiser 25 studio monitor headphones have been the de-facto benchmark for sound since I was a teenager; unbelievably, when they re-vamped them into the HD25s they only got better. Sure you CAN get better for more money; but you can't be guaranteed of anything as good for the money anywhere else. IMO, YMMV, DQMOT, WTFBBQSAUCE, DILLIGAF?

Nothing beats a big grunty amp and big grunty speakers - one day I'll get a pure Power amp to drive my LCR's as they'd respond well I think. I have the Krix Epicentrix (mk1) centre channel and a pair of Krix Neuphonix (mk1) floor L/R's. I use a pair of Krix Equinox (mk2) as rear surrounds which could happily stay being driven by my current amp.

Oh, those are much too fancy for my lifestyle... any pretense of "audiophile" my eardrums ever had was long ago destroyed by excessive mosh pit abuse and a home stereo that consisted of two prehistoric CV musical instrument speakers that were each a carpet-covered 3 ft cube with 18" bass and a massive horn driver. The best adjective for those speakers was "visceral".  >:D

They were powered by a dozen different receivers (including the previously-mentioned Sansui G22000) until I eventually bought the 901s and discovered midrange (and a steady girlfriend) again. ;) I had a dangerous electronics/motorcycle habit; stereos and motorcycles sortof just got bought as I made a score and sold as I needed money for almost a decade, but the CVs always remained.

So between them pulverizing my skull and my GPZ1100 adrenaline addiction, it's no wonder I suffer from am loving every minute of an industrial-duty case of CRS.  :-DD

mnem
1) Collect TOO MANY Massive Speakers
2) ???
3) PROFIT!!!
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6383 on: January 15, 2018, 05:40:08 am »
Over the last two weeks, I expanded my TM500 assets by a TM515 (traveller mainframe), a PG505 and a FG503. The FG503 came from a trusted source and saves space in the rack (no need to operate the FG504 for a 1kHz audio quick test), the TM515 at 78€ and the PG505 at 97€ were good grabs, I think!
Now I have just to get one of the FAST PG's, the RF sweeper.....and so on.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6384 on: January 15, 2018, 05:53:30 am »

Oh, those are much too fancy for my lifestyle... any pretense of "audiophile" my eardrums ever had was long ago destroyed by excessive mosh pit abuse and a home stereo that consisted of two prehistoric CV musical instrument speakers that were each a carpet-covered 3 ft cube with 18" bass and a massive horn driver. The best adjective for those speakers was "visceral".  >:D

They were powered by a dozen different receivers (including the previously-mentioned Sansui G22000) until I eventually bought the 901s and discovered midrange (and a steady girlfriend) again. ;) I had a dangerous electronics/motorcycle habit; stereos and motorcycles sortof just got bought as I made a score and sold as I needed money for almost a decade, but the CVs always remained.

So between them pulverizing my skull and my GPZ1100 adrenaline addiction, it's no wonder I suffer from am loving every minute of an industrial-duty case of CRS.  :-DD

mnem
2) ???
3) PROFIT!!!

Oh I'm no audiophile, I'm mainly into Home Theatre (I have a 300mm powered sub too) so I like my home sound to be at least as good as a decent cinema. A side benefit is that my system is pretty good for music too.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6385 on: January 15, 2018, 06:34:18 am »
Wharfie book shelf speakers and some modded 30 year old Marantz floor speakers fed by an equally old Kenwood Component system does me for blowing the cobwebs out (and the neighbors  >:D )

Modern Surround sound can kiss my shiny metal ..........
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6386 on: January 15, 2018, 06:41:06 am »

mnem
2) ???
3) PROFIT!!!

Oh I'm no audiophile, I'm mainly into Home Theatre (I have a 300mm powered sub too) so I like my home sound to be at least as good as a decent cinema. A side benefit is that my system is pretty good for music too.

Yeah, the same was always true of my ARs with anything I paired them up with. For the longest time, I used them with 2 pairs of Polk M3 studio monitors; together they produce an awesomely flat response for accurate spatialization with an amazingly deep bass field for HT use. I really do need to get them back in shape. And find the monstrous old Sony amp I used to drive the subs...

Honestly, it's sad. For years I had awesome HT sound on dinky 42-50" screens; now I have a 65" HDTV, I watch on the stock speakers because I just can't be arsed to fight the spaghetti monster one more time...

Which one did you get? The cheapie, or the more expensive BT 4.1 one that's supposedly EDR/AVRC?

Oh, I think I remember those... the dock part swivels around when it's not being used and it looks like just a plain fascia, right?

Ahhh, well... Amazon made the decision for me. They have the BT 4.1 version (which I found is supposed to greatly reduce the current drawn by my phone when connected) for $15, and my Prime membership got me a 9% off coupon and guaranteed delivery by Wednesday, as opposed to "Probably by the end of February" for the ones on AliEx. Plus it's got "Smof" printed on the front of it.  :-DD

mnem
He said Smof. Heh... heh-heh... heh... heh-heh...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6387 on: January 15, 2018, 07:00:38 am »
....... because I just can't be arsed to fight the spaghetti monster one more time...
:-DD
That, I'll remember, thanks.  :clap:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6388 on: January 15, 2018, 07:28:05 am »
....... because I just can't be arsed to fight the spaghetti monster one more time...

I know... you know what's REALLY funny? Guess what I do for a living... That's right. I'm the guy they call out to find the one bad cable in THIS.

mnem
Suck it, LanTracker.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6389 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:17 am »

I know... you know what's REALLY funny? Guess what I do for a living... That's right. I'm the guy they call out to find the one bad cable in THIS.

mnem
Suck it, LanTracker.
:o
.....new definition of a real spaghetti monster ^^^  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6390 on: January 15, 2018, 07:45:31 am »

mnem
2) ???
3) PROFIT!!!

Yeah, the same was always true of my ARs with anything I paired them up with. For the longest time, I used them with 2 pairs of Polk M3 studio monitors; together they produce an awesomely flat response for accurate spatialization with an amazingly deep bass field for HT use. I really do need to get them back in shape. And find the monstrous old Sony amp I used to drive the subs...

Honestly, it's sad. For years I had awesome HT sound on dinky 42-50" screens; now I have a 65" HDTV, I watch on the stock speakers because I just can't be arsed to fight the spaghetti monster one more time...

Ahhh, well... Amazon made the decision for me. They have the BT 4.1 version (which I found is supposed to greatly reduce the current drawn by my phone when connected) for $15, and my Prime membership got me a 9% off coupon and guaranteed delivery by Wednesday, as opposed to "Probably by the end of February" for the ones on AliEx. Plus it's got "Smof" printed on the front of it.  :-DD

mnem
He said Smof. Heh... heh-heh... heh... heh-heh...
The one I went for was the 2.1 EDR and something else but can't remember it. This is the Kenwin one in the living room. No point in going for better option SWMBO probably won't even use it, but at least I've provided some better sound quality then her crappy iPad built in speakers which is what she uses in preference because she hates the Bass that comes from better equipment. [emoji134]???
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6391 on: January 15, 2018, 02:07:58 pm »
I decided to crack the Blaupunkt open and take a squizz inside, didn't get to far with that it is a complicated beast with sealed chambers, hidden screws etc. so thought I'd take a pics with the back removed. If it was faulty then I would have progressed with the strip down, seeing as it works perfectly, I didn't want to risk it. It seems that power supply and the audio amps are all made and designed by Audera.co of Canada, link is here https://www.audera.co/classhd.html although I could not see anything on their site that refers to this speaker system, the PCB's have their name all over them.

Perhaps you Canadian and Americans may be able shed a bit more light on Audera?

Anyway, here's some photos to have a look at, there's some meaty power cables to the power amps and large ferrite ring in the back, looks to be reasonably well thought out and made.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:18:14 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6392 on: January 15, 2018, 02:15:27 pm »
To help celebrate the 1st year anniversary of the forming of this small group tomorrow, I've given in to my TEA urges again  :palm:and will be picking this up tomorrow ready for the fun to begin, so TEA and BISCUITS rule the day once again.

With a bit of luck and help from the postman, some other stuff will be arriving tomorrow as well, Happy Birthday to test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6393 on: January 15, 2018, 03:23:50 pm »
I decided to crack the Blaupunkt open and take a squizz inside, didn't get to far with that it is a complicated beast with sealed chambers, hidden screws etc. so thought I'd take a pics with the back removed. If it was faulty then I would have progressed with the strip down, seeing as it works perfectly, I didn't want to risk it. It seems that power supply and the audio amps are all made and designed by Audera.co of Canada, link is here https://www.audera.co/classhd.html although I could not see anything on their site that refers to this speaker system, the PCB's have their name all over them.

Anyway, here's some photos to have a look at, there's some meaty power cables to the power amps and large ferrite ring in the back, looks to be reasonably well thought out and made.

I've never heard of them; they must be long after my time in the hot seat. The page you linked to has oodles of .PDFs outlining the power amplifier/power supply modules they make; descriptions sound like a combination of digital amplifiers and variable-output power supplies that together make a high-efficiency amplification system optimized for battery-operated usage.

Neato, aside from my personal distaste for digital amplifiers in general. Kindof a shame they designed in component video output but omitted it on your model; would make that quite the nice combination "center speaker" and podcast player if hooked up to your bigger screen.

Happy Birthday, TEA!

mnem
*Toddles off to the bench*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:43:09 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6394 on: January 15, 2018, 03:40:59 pm »

I've never heard of them; they must be long after my time in the hot seat. The page you linked to has oodles of .PDFs outlining the power amplifier/power supply modules they make; descriptions sound like a combination of digital amplifiers and variable-output power supplies that together make a high-efficiency amplification system optimized for battery-operated usage.

Neato, aside from my personal distaste for digital amplifiers in general. Kindof a shame they designed in component video output but omitted it on your model; would make that quite the nice combination "center speaker" and podcast player if hooked up to your bigger screen.

Happy Birthday, TEA!

mnem
*Toddles off to the bench*
I already got a 5.1 THX system on my computer, made by Altec Lansing (not sure if spelt right) but badged Dell with,2  7" subs and another sound system by Samsung on my TV. There is not a lot of difference in sound apart from the spatial separation when the BT is hooked up to the computer.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6395 on: January 15, 2018, 03:42:05 pm »

mnem
Suck it, LanTracker.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :scared: :scared: :scared: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6396 on: January 15, 2018, 03:58:59 pm »

mnem
Suck it, LanTracker.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :scared: :scared: :scared: :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

Well, if it weren't for other people being willing to "pay someone else to do it" rather than suffer the misery themselves, I'd be out of a job.

When I HALO drop into one of these I just smile; diag time is never flat rate, and often billable turnkey.  :-DD

mnem
Cat6 FEARS ME!!! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!  >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6397 on: January 15, 2018, 04:11:44 pm »
That's my idea of heaven. A nice messy DC to re-cable.

Apart from one I went to. Lifted a floor panel up and there was 5 inch deep water under it. Ran a fucking mile, especially as no one who worked there claimed to realise that it was the case. Must have been like it for a while.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6398 on: January 15, 2018, 04:15:28 pm »
That's my idea of heaven. A nice messy DC to re-cable.

Apart from one I went to. Lifted a floor panel up and there was 5 inch deep water under it. Ran a fucking mile, especially as no one who worked there claimed to realise that it was the case. Must have been like it for a while.
Just chuck s bilge pump in and switch it on, soon lower the water line.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6399 on: January 15, 2018, 04:19:56 pm »
That's step 1. It's step 2 and above I didn't fancy. Consider schrodinger's cat. Until you observe the state of the cat, you don't know if it's dead or alive. I'd rather someone else opened this box as it's a whole load less hassle for me

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf