Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 35741241 times)

0 Members and 226 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66500 on: August 11, 2020, 04:02:54 pm »
34410A has a fan if that bothers you.

If fan noise bothered me, my life would be radically improved.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23102
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66501 on: August 11, 2020, 04:07:58 pm »

Under any circumstances, I've contrived a bodge that gets the old RIFA back in circuit mostly safely so I could put the scope back to standby duty instead of the repair queue; no, I'm not going to post pics of that crime.    Just know that I've admitted my guilt here and now; if Karma catches up with me, I can greet Murphy with a clear conscience.  >:D

mnem
 :popcorn:

 :wtf: I share my bodges for the entire group to criticize and laugh at. What makes you special?  :o ;D



Because it's WORSE than this one, which, thankfully, did NOT fit in place.  :palm:

mnem
 :-[



 :-DD :-DD :-DD
 
The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, TorinoFermic

Offline tonyalbus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 1031
  • Country: nl
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66502 on: August 11, 2020, 04:23:30 pm »
Tony, when you professionally dis-assembled the counter to clean it, did you take some high resultion pictures of the different PCB's?

Were the IC's and processors (if any) identifiable?

Toyocom OCXO type?

i am afraid that would be a do-over...
and you did tell me ... take some samples of PSu etc.. test-points... totally forgot .. after cleaning i just wanted to fire it up.
The Test Equipment Addict. Electronics enthusiast and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - TEK - Keithley - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66503 on: August 11, 2020, 04:23:47 pm »
34410A has a fan if that bothers you.

If fan noise bothered me, my life would be radically improved.

Over my working career several times I worked either a 2nd shift or 3rd shift and it involved trying to sleep during the day. To drown out ambient noise I used a box fan year round and do this day I still use it. So fan noise does not bother me. Even the big honker fan in the Type 535A. Until now. There's nothing wrong with this fan. The bearings are fine. No screeching or rough running. But for some reason it drives me up the wall. Does that "HP" on the front panel have anything to do with it?  :-// :P ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9841
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66504 on: August 11, 2020, 04:31:00 pm »
Over my working career several times I worked either a 2nd shift or 3rd shift and it involved trying to sleep during the day. To drown out ambient noise I used a box fan year round and do this day I still use it. So fan noise does not bother me. Even the big honker fan in the Type 535A. Until now. There's nothing wrong with this fan. The bearings are fine. No screeching or rough running. But for some reason it drives me up the wall. Does that "HP" on the front panel have anything to do with it?  :-// :P ;D


It depends on the device and fan. Big fans can often be okay but the little ones are often much worse. I don't mind the fans in various oscilloscopes too much but the one in the DMM annoys me as it cuts through other noise.
 

Offline Cerebus

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 10576
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66505 on: August 11, 2020, 05:01:38 pm »
Does anyone have opinions about the relative merits and problems of an Agilent 34410a vs an HP or Agilent 34401a?

The 34410A was the first of the current "TrueVolt" range, using the fine/coarse ADCs and very fast charge balancing. The AC performance (accuracy) is better than the 34401A, also generally it will do more readings/sec (up to 10,000). Has a 50k logging memory. Adds capacitance and temperature measurements. Has GPIB, USB and Ethernet connectivity, 34401A only has GPIB.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?
 

Offline med6753

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 11346
  • Country: us
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66506 on: August 11, 2020, 11:35:47 pm »
Did Dave forget to pay the server bill?  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline TorinoFermic

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 71
  • Country: ca
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66507 on: August 11, 2020, 11:40:28 pm »
The bid for the 34401A went way beyond my budget at 267 Pounds, luckily I backed out.  :phew:
Shame, I would let tonyalbus play with it before shipping to me ( paid by me of course ) if I won this bid.
 

Online tautech

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 31958
  • Country: nz
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66508 on: August 11, 2020, 11:42:20 pm »
Did Dave forget to pay the server bill?  ;D
Maybe but it made it easier to catch up on the overnight affairs/ramblings.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
 
The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9841
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66509 on: August 11, 2020, 11:44:27 pm »
Did Dave forget to pay the server bill?  ;D
It turns out your air con is on the same circuit and tripped the breaker. Please be considerate and don't turn it on again.
 
The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9841
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66510 on: August 11, 2020, 11:45:32 pm »
The bid for the 34401A went way beyond my budget at 267 Pounds, luckily I backed out.  :phew:
Shame, I would let tonyalbus play with it before shipping to me ( paid by me of course ) if I won this bid.
I'm not surprised, they're quite popular. You can get a better one for that money.
 

Offline Kosmic

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66511 on: August 11, 2020, 11:46:18 pm »
Does anyone have opinions about the relative merits and problems of an Agilent 34410a vs an HP or Agilent 34401a?

The 34410A was the first of the current "TrueVolt" range, using the fine/coarse ADCs and very fast charge balancing. The AC performance (accuracy) is better than the 34401A, also generally it will do more readings/sec (up to 10,000). Has a 50k logging memory. Adds capacitance and temperature measurements. Has GPIB, USB and Ethernet connectivity, 34401A only has GPIB.

The 34401a also has rs232.

For the same price I would definitely take a 34410A.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:58:02 pm by Kosmic »
 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66512 on: August 12, 2020, 12:21:32 am »
Regarding these thermal wire strippers:

I've found this one in the bay and bought it for 5 Euro plus 4 for shipping:



It is called a "Mentor-Strip", no idea if it is any good.
That is the line-powered thermal stripper which I have. In contrast to the Weller, it was only used once for proof of function, so I can't say much about it. It bothered me a bit that it is unregulated, but maybe I would have found out that this is no problem.
I have a datasheet somewhere, will dig it out for you as soon as possible.
 
The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66513 on: August 12, 2020, 12:25:46 am »
question:
which self adhesive copper tape / foil /... do you use to repair traces ?
Most of the time I use copper wire (blank or tefzel insulated) or silvered copper wire or in some cases even stranded wire. If not, CIRKIT.
 

Offline Kosmic

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 2593
  • Country: ca
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66514 on: August 12, 2020, 12:38:33 am »
Hot strippers are the best.

I also like hot strippers.
 
The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, FransW, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

  • Supporter
  • ****
  • Posts: 12604
  • Country: au
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66515 on: August 12, 2020, 12:48:48 am »
.... waiting for it ....
Why Clippy?  --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Dtmpe9qaQ
 

Offline Neomys Sapiens

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 3268
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66516 on: August 12, 2020, 12:50:58 am »
That's OK, you Brits can fuss all you want.

Today's date is 08/10/20.

Only the UK and former colonies, plus the Japanese, have right hand drive.

I'm cool as cucumber in my A/C while you Brits bake.

 >:D ;D
US is still member of NATO, yes? I have just as much sympathies for the both types of datecode abominations, whether dd/mm/yy(yy) or mm/dd/yy(yy).
It is YYYYMMDD as it is HHMMss. Anyone objecting now will be provided with a big pack of disparate message queue printouts to be sorted manually.
 
The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TorinoFermic

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 71
  • Country: ca
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66517 on: August 12, 2020, 01:23:23 am »
Quote from: TorinoFermic on Today at 19:40:28
The bid for the 34401A went way beyond my budget at 267 Pounds, luckily I backed out.  :phew:
Shame, I would let tonyalbus play with it before shipping to me ( paid by me of course ) if I won this bid.
I'm not surprised, they're quite popular. You can get a better one for that money.
Care to enlighten me, please ? The closest to this price is a Keithley 196 on ebay, and I am sure it wasn't that.
 

Offline Mr. Scram

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 9841
  • Country: 00
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66518 on: August 12, 2020, 01:27:07 am »
Care to enlighten me, please ? The closest to this price is a Keithley 196 on ebay, and I am sure it wasn't that.
Let me rephrase that to "I see better 34401As go for similar money." :)
 
The following users thanked this post: TorinoFermic

Offline TorinoFermic

  • Regular Contributor
  • *
  • Posts: 71
  • Country: ca
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66519 on: August 12, 2020, 02:05:36 am »
Quote from: TorinoFermic on Today at 21:23:23
Care to enlighten me, please ? The closest to this price is a Keithley 196 on ebay, and I am sure it wasn't that.
Let me rephrase that to "I see better 34401As go for similar money." :)
Ah yes, how silly of me. I shall keep looking for a better 34401a.
 

Online tggzzz

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 23122
  • Country: gb
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66520 on: August 12, 2020, 05:46:41 am »
Big fans can often be okay but the little ones are often much worse.

True at larger scales too. Consider Concorde's Olympus engines vs modern high-bypass fanjets. It is low-volume-high-velocity vs high-volume-low-velocity.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less
 

Offline BU508A

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 4576
  • Country: de
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66521 on: August 12, 2020, 07:27:07 am »
Regarding these thermal wire strippers:

I've found this one in the bay and bought it for 5 Euro plus 4 for shipping:



It is called a "Mentor-Strip", no idea if it is any good.
That is the line-powered thermal stripper which I have. In contrast to the Weller, it was only used once for proof of function, so I can't say much about it. It bothered me a bit that it is unregulated, but maybe I would have found out that this is no problem.
I have a datasheet somewhere, will dig it out for you as soon as possible.

Thanks for that.
How is the Weller? It is looking interestingly (and I have to admit, I'm a bit of a Weller fanboy).
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -
 

Offline Ero-Shan

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 571
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66522 on: August 12, 2020, 07:57:50 am »
8) Antritsu MF1603A .. its allready in... yeah... PSU..what?
even 1 more digit more then i thought..
Still no luck on the manuals, so if someone has, please DM...

i love the LSD button.... peace!   :-DD

Congrats. A very nice counter!
 
The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Ero-Shan

  • Frequent Contributor
  • **
  • Posts: 571
  • Country: de
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66523 on: August 12, 2020, 08:06:41 am »
 

Offline Specmaster

  • Super Contributor
  • ***
  • Posts: 14488
  • Country: gb
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #66524 on: August 12, 2020, 08:07:33 am »
[...] When in Dublin last year I felt somewhat uncomfortable with the traffic on the wrong side of the road. [...]

I find that driving on either side is fine, I can do it on autopilot...  as long as there are other cars on the road!  -  if there is no traffic, the internal autopilot sometimes gives up and asks the pilot to take over...   leaving me to suddenly wake up and have no idea about what side of the road I should be on!   :scared:

yeps... but lonely roads and small roundabouts... might still be tricky... i remember..  :)

Right hand drive once, on a vacation in Scotland. I put about 300 miles on a rental. It was a Vauxhall sedan. Didn't make any stupid mistakes but it was exhausting because you had to be constantly aware, especially at roundabouts. And even though I'm a southpaw I found shifting the 5 speed gearbox with the left hand a little perplexing.  :-//
No more so then we Brits visit your countries is it  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi
 


Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf

 

-->